Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am

bennymacca wrote:
Brodlach wrote:How does Bancroft get a lighter penalty than Smith?

Because it’s the captains idea. Reckon he is way worse than Bancroft

Bancroft is 25 and an adult. Knew it was wrong, could have said “NO” but was the one with the tape and actually did the ball

Too eday to blame others, stand up for your convictions
Last edited by Brodlach on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Mic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am

Smith is obviously still badly concussed by the blow from Rabada in the 2nd test, but no one is concerned for his health!
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am

JK wrote:Another thing that pissed me off with Smith (as if the whole sordid issue wasn't enough), was taking others down with him.

As a leader, I would have thought he'd take all the responsibility (obviously Bancroft would cop a whack too) and protect his teammateas as best he could rather than out them aswell.

Extremely poor leadership shown by Smith, he's besmirched the name of the whole side by calling it a "leadership group" decision.

He'll look back on that presser with much regret, I hope.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:57 am

Brodlach wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Brodlach wrote:How does Bancroft get a lighter penalty than Smith?

Because it’s the captains idea. Reckon he is way worse than Bancroft

Bancroft is 25 and an adult. Knew it was wrong, could have said “NO” but was the one with the tape and actually did the ball

Too eday to blame others, stand up for your convictions

Easier said than done to stand up to your captain, vice captain (I imagine Warner isn't one for engaging in comprise and negotiation), and whoever else in the leadership group, including maybe Lehmann as well, and simply say no. Would've been a bloody ballsy thing to do, and he certainly could've done so, but it's easy to say otherwise in hindsight and when you're spot in the team is not guaranteed.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 am

Especially given maxwell got dumped from the team for basically not being a “team player” in their eyes

Bancroft deserves his punishment but the buck stops with the captain if he was the one that orchestrated it
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby northerner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 am

I keep asking why I feel so saddened by this... so let down?
I am also aware that others have been found guilty and received fines and even Tendulkar was banned for a game. No further recourse. So why do people feel so strong about banning those involved for a lengthy period?
I think that this has awoken us all to what some already knew... the culture of this team stinks. Somehow we all believed we as Aussies played hard but fair.... that was Steve Waugh to a tee, and guys like Pidge, Punter and Warney. Have a sledge, have a beer....And this mob professed to carry on this same mantra, but they had blurred the lines. For two hours, Warner called deKock every name under the sun with foul mouthed insults about weight, appearance, characteristics, gait, but the one riposte that deKock replied with in earshot of just two people was supposedly 'crossing the line'... a line that the Aussies decided upon?

Carey said in the second test that he hoped the Aussies would lose. I thought that was a bizarre statement at the time... Carey I apologise, you were onto this mob whilst I was in denial.

Re the ball-tampering, based on precedents, I don't think we will see and long term bans. And apart from those players involved being given next week off, I don't see any further suspensions. But this must be the moment where the culture is addressed. Boof cannot be coach any longer; his hypocrisy has been highlighted. Smith cannot be captain; his integrity is destroyed. Warner cannot be involved in the leadership group as he is so often front and centre in any incident. David Sakers role msut be in doubt; he appears to have been involved with other teams that were guilty of ball-tampering and I would imagine he was sitting in on the mysterious leadership group.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:50 am

Good post northerner. If this was an isolated incident i think we would mostly be prepared to overlook it. As we have with other recent incidents for the most part. But this is a long line of ever worsening things that had happened
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am

Maybe there is a deeper issue with this ball tampering situation. Maybe there is some match fixing going on here behind closed doors?? 8) 8)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Maybe there is a deeper issue with this ball tampering situation. Maybe there is some match fixing going on here behind closed doors?? 8) 8)

I honestly can’t see it - I don’t think you could pay smith enough money to make him lose
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Maybe there is a deeper issue with this ball tampering situation. Maybe there is some match fixing going on here behind closed doors?? 8) 8)

I honestly can’t see it - I don’t think you could pay smith enough money to make him lose

Yeah I know. He keeps saying they are desperate to win. End of the day it's only cricket. If you lose to a better side then so be it. Why make a pre-meditated decision to tamper with the ball to give yourselves a chance of winning? Knowing that it is cheating to do so?? Unless there was $$$ incentives behind the decision??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Yeah I know. He keeps saying they are desperate to win. End of the day it's only cricket. If you lose to a better side then so be it. Why make a pre-meditated decision to tamper with the ball to give yourselves a chance of winning? Knowing that it is cheating to do so?? Unless there was $$$ incentives behind the decision??

It's only cricket?

It's national pride, it's millions of supporters pinning their hopes on you staying up all hours of the night to watch, it's your luxurious lifestyle and future nest egg, it's the opportunity to be in the best 11 of a team in a country of 24 million people, it's the chance to be the best in the world..............I see your point.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Michael Clarke summed it up;

we have one of the best bowling attacks, if not the best in the world that have regularly bowled sides out, what has happened that they have now had to go down this path, something definately not sitting right here.

One things for sure the fallout suspensions or not will be huge, i feel for the families of those involved, already T20 careers are looking like going and no doubt sponsorships etc will be affected.

Smith and co have to ask themselves and answer honestly, was a bit of bloody tape to get a ball to reverse swing worth it..

Careers have been ruined all by a moments stupidity
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Going to cost Smith at least $1 Million, Warner too most probably
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Interesting comments by some former cricketers about how this is common place and we just happened to get caught.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:21 pm

That's not surprising ^
But...us and England just get on our high horse about it a bit more when the opposition do it.
Hence the disgust at us getting caught.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:Interesting comments by some former cricketers about how this is common place and we just happened to get caught.

I think the mints etc is extremely common place. Artificially roughing up the ball seems to be a level above though imo.

Does make you wonder how long they have been doing it though. Find it hard to believe it was the first time. More that they were more careful previously because warner used to do it not Bancroft
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:Interesting comments by some former cricketers about how this is common place and we just happened to get caught.

I think the mints etc is extremely common place. Artificially roughing up the ball seems to be a level above though imo.

Does make you wonder how long they have been doing it though. Find it hard to believe it was the first time. More that they were more careful previously because warner used to do it not Bancroft

Using mints to change the condition of the ball is artificial also
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Of course it is. But it’s also very hard to detect
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Listening to Whatley this morning and some indications that it was Warner's idea, which fits in with Smith blaming the leadership group.

I still can't believe they took the field yesterday, all 3 should have been immediately suspended.

Boof has to go also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:04 pm

MW wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Using mints to change the condition of the ball is artificial also

Absolutely, I was the master ball polisher* in my time, spent most of my days at mid off looking after the pill while the openers were on so I'd have something to bend around when I got my hands on it*. Or, in the lower grades at slip when I was on at one end. ( It's good to be the captain :lol: ).

A bit if sweat with some sunscreen in it or a bit of sticky spit in the C Grade at Cowandilla Primary School, in my view, is one thing, but taking some sand paper out in your pocket after talking about it during the lunch break with your team mates at international level is another, in my view.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket