Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 pm

northerner wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/did-steve-smith-lie-about-his-involvement-in-the-ball-tampering-controversy/news-story/b19a986733aa7ecea1aa9057f7099703

Henriques who knows Smith better than I holds the same theory. Makes a damn lot of sense that this may well have been a warner led move with Bancroft more involved than just a patsy. Smith took responsibility as he feels he should and not realising the seriousness of the fallout.

I just can't get my head around Smith being this stupid and arrogant. He is naturally introverted and conservative... Warner on the other hand? Bancroft and Saker also IMO.....

I'm struggling to believe that the ball tampering might be simply a collaboration between Warner and Bancroft. No one has mentioned any of the bowlers, expect Lyon who is in leadership group. Surely, the bowlers and/or the coach of the bowlers (Saker), who stood to gain from a tampered ball, would have been involved. BTW, for all of those Poms who are questioning the recent Ashes result, go back and look at the series England won when Saker was your bowling coach.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Ashley Mallett :shock:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rendezvie ... 42bb6f5a7b

IN the wake of this disgraceful episode of ball tampering by the so-called Australian Cricket Team’s “leadership group,” Cricket Australia has no option but to ban Steve Smith and David Warner for life.

And if coach Darren Lehmann and others such as Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazelwood and Nathan Lyon are found to be complicit in the conspiracy they too should go — for ever.

Lehmann’s tenure is on a knife edge anyway, but if he’s part of the Cape Town plot, his statue at Adelaide Oval should be torn down, among other sanctions. As a Test player who played in an era of hard but fair cricket in the 1970s and 1980s, we loved the game and its traditions.

To even contemplate cheating was foreign to our psyche and tantamount to becoming a traitor to this nation.

Messrs Smith, Warner and Company should realise that today’s Test players are custodians of the game: a game which throughout Test match history in this nation has adhered to the great values of cricket.

As the events unfold we are learning of the bullying by Australian players and their arrogant, dismissive attitude towards the traditions of the game.

Today’s players should be mindful of their responsibility to leave the game in a better state than they found it. It is a time honoured, yet unwritten law.

Back in the latter stages of the 19th Century Lord Hawke, a colossus in world cricket, who played for Cambridge University, Yorkshire and England, then a leading administrator for 40 years, was the stalwart of all things good in this magnificent game, wrote:

“Cricket is a moral lesson in itself, and the classroom is God’s air and sunshine. Foster it, my brothers, protect it from anything that will sully it, so that it will be in favour with all men.”

Hawke’s beautiful words tell us all that is wonderful about cricket: that is cricket when is played hard, but fair and in the spirit of the game.

What have we witnessed of late? All that is grubby and deceitful about a group of would be cricketing thugs who intimidate their opponents like schoolyard bullies.

It worked perfectly for them against the inept, weak England team during the Ashes summer, but this time they were up against a tough South African unit who refused to cower from the bully that is the Australian cricket team.

The so-called “leadership group” were gutless to the very core the way they encouraged the eager, naive Cameron Bancroft to do their dirty work. Un-Australian stuff which paints a very unpalatable picture of this Australian cricket team and its bunch of bullies.

With Smith and Warner likely to be sidelined for some time, maybe forever, who can lead the Australian Test team?

David Warner and coach Darren Lehmann during happier times at Sydney Cricket Ground ahead of the 5th Ashes test match. Picture: Brett Costello
Former Test batsman and chairman of selectors John Inverarity said today: “I hope this awful incident is not seen as a ‘one off’. It happened within a culture which is seriously substandard.”

Inverarity advocates George Bailey to take over as Australian captain.

“Various unacceptable values, attitudes and behaviours have seen the Australian team hurtling down a track that has resulted in this trainwreck.”

“This Australian team needs a decent, honest and hardworking person to lead it.

“George Bailey should be given the job for the next 18 months.”

First CA should sack the culprits of this fiasco for life.

Recently I’ve heard how this ball tampering has been going on with all countries for yonks. When decent people ignore wrongdoing, that is when bad things happen in this life. The players banned should also be ordered to hand back their Baggy Green caps for they have soiled the very fabric of the game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm

STFU Ashley.

Seems every man and his dog wants to get his time in the spot light on this issue now. :roll:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:23 pm

The Bedge wrote:STFU Ashley.

Seems every man and his dog wants to get his time in the spot light on this issue now. :roll:

I would’ve thought ex-players that represented Australia have every bloody right to pass comment & express their opinion on this utter cluster-f#ck of a situation.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:Ashley Mallett :shock:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rendezvie ... 42bb6f5a7b

IN the wake of this disgraceful episode of ball tampering by the so-called Australian Cricket Team’s “leadership group,” Cricket Australia has no option but to ban Steve Smith and David Warner for life.

And if coach Darren Lehmann and others such as Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazelwood and Nathan Lyon are found to be complicit in the conspiracy they too should go — for ever.

Lehmann’s tenure is on a knife edge anyway, but if he’s part of the Cape Town plot, his statue at Adelaide Oval should be torn down, among other sanctions. As a Test player who played in an era of hard but fair cricket in the 1970s and 1980s, we loved the game and its traditions.

To even contemplate cheating was foreign to our psyche and tantamount to becoming a traitor to this nation.

Messrs Smith, Warner and Company should realise that today’s Test players are custodians of the game: a game which throughout Test match history in this nation has adhered to the great values of cricket.

As the events unfold we are learning of the bullying by Australian players and their arrogant, dismissive attitude towards the traditions of the game.

Today’s players should be mindful of their responsibility to leave the game in a better state than they found it. It is a time honoured, yet unwritten law.

Back in the latter stages of the 19th Century Lord Hawke, a colossus in world cricket, who played for Cambridge University, Yorkshire and England, then a leading administrator for 40 years, was the stalwart of all things good in this magnificent game, wrote:

“Cricket is a moral lesson in itself, and the classroom is God’s air and sunshine. Foster it, my brothers, protect it from anything that will sully it, so that it will be in favour with all men.”

Hawke’s beautiful words tell us all that is wonderful about cricket: that is cricket when is played hard, but fair and in the spirit of the game.

What have we witnessed of late? All that is grubby and deceitful about a group of would be cricketing thugs who intimidate their opponents like schoolyard bullies.

It worked perfectly for them against the inept, weak England team during the Ashes summer, but this time they were up against a tough South African unit who refused to cower from the bully that is the Australian cricket team.

The so-called “leadership group” were gutless to the very core the way they encouraged the eager, naive Cameron Bancroft to do their dirty work. Un-Australian stuff which paints a very unpalatable picture of this Australian cricket team and its bunch of bullies.

With Smith and Warner likely to be sidelined for some time, maybe forever, who can lead the Australian Test team?

David Warner and coach Darren Lehmann during happier times at Sydney Cricket Ground ahead of the 5th Ashes test match. Picture: Brett Costello
Former Test batsman and chairman of selectors John Inverarity said today: “I hope this awful incident is not seen as a ‘one off’. It happened within a culture which is seriously substandard.”

Inverarity advocates George Bailey to take over as Australian captain.

“Various unacceptable values, attitudes and behaviours have seen the Australian team hurtling down a track that has resulted in this trainwreck.”

“This Australian team needs a decent, honest and hardworking person to lead it.

“George Bailey should be given the job for the next 18 months.”

First CA should sack the culprits of this fiasco for life.

Recently I’ve heard how this ball tampering has been going on with all countries for yonks. When decent people ignore wrongdoing, that is when bad things happen in this life. The players banned should also be ordered to hand back their Baggy Green caps for they have soiled the very fabric of the game.

I agree. **** em. Ban them for life. Whilst they are still playing for Australia, I won't be following cricket.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby northerner » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Spargo wrote:
The Bedge wrote:STFU Ashley.

I would’ve thought ex-players that represented Australia have every bloody right to pass comment & express their opinion on this utter cluster-f#ck of a situation.

There may be some apologies owed... so many are attacking the whole team... I remain convinced this is a couple of bad apples ... maybe in denial esp in regards to Smith but until the story is fully out there people shouldn't be too harsh. ESPECIALLY ex players.
northerner
Reserves

Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Banning them for life is absurd. What they did was wrong and not something that should be accepted in cricket but a life ban seems crazy. Personally i think if the ICC had of made a stronger stance on previous instances of ball tampering this would not have occurred, the ICC must be stronger in it's stance. Similarly with the Rabada situation though they continue to let things go without repercussions which is disappointing.

CA will make a stand and maybe a ban of 3 to 6 months is reasonable because cheating of any sort is not acceptable and in particular in Australia where everyone is proud of how they play there sport in the right manner. It's funny because if this was pakistan or a subcontinent team the players involved would probably receive a small ban and everyone would move on but because it's Australia its a much bigger deal. However I think that is a credit to the Australian culture and how it is expected to play sport in a fair manner. Previous Australian team's were extremely tough and uncompromising but they played in the right manner. This Australian team has proven not to play in the Australian way for a little bit and this should be a line in the sand type of moment to get Australia back to playing the way it should. As an english fan I disliked the Aussie teams of the last few decades just because they were so good but god you had to respect them for how good they were and how they played the game. This Aussie team come across as an entitled bunch of flogs led by the vice captain Warner.

It is rich for all other countries to be slamming Australia when they have ball tampered previously but Australia should hold itself to a higher standard because it is an incredibly proud sporting country.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Hypothetical for Ashley and some of his righteous team mates from yesteryear. Just imagine that on day 4 of the recent test against South Africa, Australia are 5 wickets down and trail by 350....that's not hard, they were. Mitch Marsh makes a run a ball 200 and Mitch Starc 100 off 60 and Australia set South Africa a target of 130. Pat Cummins takes 8 for 41 and South Africa are bowled out for 111. It was later found out that Kagiso Rabada and Quintin de Kock backed the Aussies to win the match at 300/1 when they were 5 for 70 in the second ininngs. Do Rabada and de Kock get banned for life?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Hypothetical for Ashley and some of his righteous team mates from yesteryear. Just imagine that on day 4 of the recent test against South Africa, Australia are 5 wickets down and trail by 350....that's not hard, they were. Mitch Marsh makes a run a ball 200 and Mitch Starc 100 off 60 and Australia set South Africa a target of 130. Pat Cummins takes 8 for 41 and South Africa are bowled out for 111. It was later found out that Kagiso Rabada and Quintin de Kock backed the Aussies to win the match at 300/1 when they were 5 for 70 in the second ininngs. Do Rabada and de Kock get banned for life?

Probably, but who cares, they're not representing us as Australians.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Booney wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Hypothetical for Ashley and some of his righteous team mates from yesteryear. Just imagine that on day 4 of the recent test against South Africa, Australia are 5 wickets down and trail by 350....that's not hard, they were. Mitch Marsh makes a run a ball 200 and Mitch Starc 100 off 60 and Australia set South Africa a target of 130. Pat Cummins takes 8 for 41 and South Africa are bowled out for 111. It was later found out that Kagiso Rabada and Quintin de Kock backed the Aussies to win the match at 300/1 when they were 5 for 70 in the second ininngs. Do Rabada and de Kock get banned for life?

I assumed SMG was making a reference to when Lillee and Marsh put money on the poms at 500/1 and went on to lose the game.
That is, the old boys aren't exactly squeaky clean so perhaps they should lay off the current crop a bit.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I think the current lads deserve all they get, but I could at least see his point.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Trader wrote:
Booney wrote:

I assumed SMG was making a reference to when Lillee and Marsh put money on the poms at 500/1 and went on to lose the game.
That is, the old boys aren't exactly squeaky clean so perhaps they should lay off the current crop a bit.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I think the current lads deserve all they get, but I could at least see his point.

Yes, that was my point .....thanks Trader
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

This is the biggest overreaction I have seen. Smith should have just kept his mouth shut and let the investigators do their job. He comes out and is honest, gets absolutely polverised 2nd only to James Hird with the Essendon saga.

The bloke hasn't killed or hurt anyone, he's done something stupid and even if it's premeditated, the outcome on the condition of the ball is no different to every team in the world who throws the ball in flat and intentionally hits the square with 1 or 2 bounces to the keeper in every test. That's also premeditated and did not happen 15 years ago when you were always taught to put the ball back in over the stumps to the keeper on the full.

I get it's what we can't stand as a society but we have serious double standards. All ball tampering is pre-meditated so hearing other countries throwing their 2 cents in is just laughable. These guys are just also guilty of being stupid!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:21 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:This is the biggest overreaction I have seen. Smith should have just kept his mouth shut and let the investigators do their job. He comes out and is honest, gets absolutely polverised 2nd only to James Hird with the Essendon saga.

The bloke hasn't killed or hurt anyone, he's done something stupid and even if it's premeditated, the outcome on the condition of the ball is no different to every team in the world who throws the ball in flat and intentionally hits the square with 1 or 2 bounces to the keeper in every test. That's also premeditated and did not happen 15 years ago when you were always taught to put the ball back in over the stumps to the keeper on the full.

I get it's what we can't stand as a society but we have serious double standards. All ball tampering is pre-meditated so hearing other countries throwing their 2 cents in is just laughable. These guys are just also guilty of being stupid!

Smith wasn’t honest, we wouldn’t be having this discussion if he was.
He’s a cheat no other way to put it.

I hope he gets a minimum 3 month ban.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby carey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Lol :lol:
Attachments
47A73883-66D6-4553-8F55-2B57442B8183.jpeg
47A73883-66D6-4553-8F55-2B57442B8183.jpeg (486.18 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:This is the biggest overreaction I have seen. Smith should have just kept his mouth shut and let the investigators do their job. He comes out and is honest, gets absolutely polverised 2nd only to James Hird with the Essendon saga.

I'm not saying don't ban him. I'm more saying some of the lengths of the bans being bandied around are ridiculous and a massive overreaction.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:30 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I'm not saying don't ban him. I'm more saying some of the lengths of the bans being bandied around are ridiculous and a massive overreaction.

I think CA have to set a precedent here and show everyone it won’t be tolerated.
A harsher ban than normal should do this.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Wanker
Attachments
AFE82D0F-5313-403E-831D-96C0912D50E1.jpeg
AFE82D0F-5313-403E-831D-96C0912D50E1.jpeg (280.22 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm

EBA57D38-4272-40BA-BB38-92D994D58547.jpeg
EBA57D38-4272-40BA-BB38-92D994D58547.jpeg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Is anyone else actually enjoying the drama?
It's the first time in decades I've actually wanted to read articles about cricket.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:Is anyone else actually enjoying the drama?
It's the first time in decades I've actually wanted to read articles about cricket.
I'm finding it amusing at the shock and overeaction from regular punters over it.

Life bans for those involved? Plenty of other players from several countries only get life bans for match fixing not scuffing up a cricket ball!

Those with intimate knowledge of the game knows the issue is one of those things that happens but nobody talks about it.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket