Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:23 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
stan wrote:Wheels are off alright.

4th test still needs to go ahead. We must see out the series. Regardless the test will be lucky to go 3 days.

That been said guys like Renshaw and Burns would be chomping at the bit to play.

Also if Starc doesnt want to play then give Sayers or Richardson a run.

Warner is clearly done with test cricket.

Despite this drama and the matter in way they have been slected the selectors have at least picked the right replacements. Burns and Renshaw straight into open is a positive move fwiw. Warner was horribly out of form anyway. You can obviously see Handscomb in for Smith, who I reckon slots in five and Marsh moves up to four. Maxwell was the next in line middle order batsman and his selection, while in bizarre circumstances is now quite funny and ironic given they really didn't want to pick him at the start of the Ashes.

It's a terrific oppurtunity for Burns, Renshaw and Handscomb. There honestly isn't much to lose for the aussies now and all the pressure is on SA to finally beat the aussies at home for the first time. Wouldn't be surprised if Starc doesn't play he looked average in the 3rd test and doesn't appear to be healthy. The issue is other then Paine your best bats in the series have been Bancroft and Warner who are the only blokes averaging over 30 in the series. Shaun Marsh & Khawaja are out of form and having horrid series so they will need to stand up. Also Cummins has been amazing with the ball but he's been found out with the bat big time against good bowling, hes only averaging just above 6.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby locky801 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:38 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

4th test still needs to go ahead. We must see out the series. Regardless the test will be lucky to go 3 days.

That been said guys like Renshaw and Burns would be chomping at the bit to play.

Despite this drama and the matter in way they have been slected the selectors have at least picked the right replacements. Burns and Renshaw straight into open is a positive move fwiw. Warner was horribly out of form anyway. You can obviously see Handscomb in for Smith, who I reckon slots in five and Marsh moves up to four. Maxwell was the next in line middle order batsman and his selection, while in bizarre circumstances is now quite funny and ironic given they really didn't want to pick him at the start of the Ashes.

It's a terrific oppurtunity for Burns, Renshaw and Handscomb. There honestly isn't much to lose for the aussies now and all the pressure is on SA to finally beat the aussies at home for the first time. Wouldn't be surprised if Starc doesn't play he looked average in the 3rd test and doesn't appear to be healthy. The issue is other then Paine your best bats in the series have been Bancroft and Warner who are the only blokes averaging over 30 in the series. Shaun Marsh & Khawaja are out of form and having horrid series so they will need to stand up. Also Cummins has been amazing with the ball but he's been found out with the bat big time against good bowling, hes only averaging just above 6.

wondering if they will play Maxwell instead of Usman, cant see any other reason why they would fly him over
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Grenville » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:Surely the buck has to fall at boof for continue failure of our players to meet standards.

A cricket coach doesn't have a whole lot to do so surely player behaviour is ultimately their responsibility

Yeah whether he knew about it or not it’s time for Boof to go.
New coach, new start, some disciplines.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby carey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:Crikey, the wheels have well and truly fallen off :

AUSTRALIA’S cricket stars are on the brink of “breaking apart” and want the Fourth Test against South Africa to be abandoned, according to reports and a former Test player.

The Aussie dressing room has been ripped apart by the ugly fallout to the ball-tampering scandal which has reportedly led to David Warner being banished from the team.

Warner, dumped captain Steve Smith and busted ball-tamperer Cameron Bancroft will on Wednesday night (AEDT) return to Australia after being officially charged by Cricket Australia for bringing the game into disrepute.

However, the damage is already more severe than that.

According to reports, the bad blood between Warner and his teammates may be impossible for the Aussie cricket team to overcome.

According to The Courier-Mail’s Robert Craddock, the anger from Aussie cricketers towards Warner is a response to testimony the star opener reportedly gave Cricket Australia’s integrity unit investigators which claimed the bowling unit of Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon were aware of the ball tampering plot.

Craddock told Fox Sports’ The Back Page on Tuesday night members in the Aussie dressing room also suspect Warner was behind a Channel 9 story which claimed the Aussie bowlers were in on the plan for Bancroft to rough up the ball using tape and sand hidden in his pockets.

Warner also left the Australian cricket team’s WhatsApp group message thread on Tuesday.

Craddock named Starc as one of the players that is privately fuming at Warner’s behaviour since Bancroft was busted by South African television footage trying to hide yellow tape down his pants.

“They are blistering to the point where I understand that one of the bowlers was thinking of approaching team management and saying, ‘get him off the tour’,” Craddock told Fox Sports.

“It’s a major blow-up. They aren’t on talking terms.”

Warner was also spotted sitting distanced from his Aussie teammates on the flight to Johannesburg on Wednesday morning.

Aussie cricket commentator Jim Maxwell said Warner’s standing with the team is so poor that he may never be selected to play another Test for Australia.

The upheaval of the civil war within the Aussie dressing room and Cricket Australia’s decision to send Warner, Smith and Bancroft back to Australia has devastated the Aussie team.

Aussie Test great Gavin Robertson told Fox Sports News on Tuesday night the morale within the dressing room is so bad that players want to leave the tour and abandon the Fourth Test, beginning Friday.

“They are going to break apart in the next couple days,” he told Fox Sports’ Bill and Boz.

“I spoke to people this morning, the players don’t want to play the Test. Generally, they don’t feel like playing because they are absolutely gutted.”

The team has also cancelled Wednesday night’s training session with players and officials still reeling.

The Aussies will also have to deal with a new-look squad for the final test against the Proteas with Warner, Smith and Bancroft sent home.

CA’s board has appointed Tim Paine the nation’s 46th Test captain, with the Tasmanian keeper to lead a new-look XI in the Fourth Test

Current squad member Peter Handscomb is set to be recalled, while Matthew Renshaw, Joe Burns and Glenn Maxwell are en route to South Africa as reinforcements.

Coach Darren Lehmann will remain in charge for the Fourth Test with Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland declaring on Wednesday morning that the integrity unit has found no evidence that the head coach was involved in the ball-tampering plot.

Aussie test great- Gavin Robertson :shock: =)) =)) =))
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm

carey wrote:Aussie test great- Gavin Robertson :shock: =)) =)) =))

13 wickets @ 39 in 4 Tests.

"Great". :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby northerner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I sincerely hope Smith is not given the same punishment as Warner. The remorse and contrition that Smith is exhibiting is immense. Unlike Warner, Smith is inherently a decent bloke who is not by nature a manipulative or conniving person. He comes over as naïve, not worldly in the slightest. I have NO doubt that Warner is the instigator, whilst Smith's biggest crime was not being strong enough to say NO. And it seems he was not the only one who needed to say NO to Warner over the past few seasons.
I would be happy if Warner receives a long enough ban to seriously consider walking away. I hope Smith receives far less. I hope the Aussie public cuts him some slack as person, if not as a skipper.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:17 pm

locky801 wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

wondering if they will play Maxwell instead of Usman, cant see any other reason why they would fly him over
Yeah that's another option. I think Khawaja needs a spell anyway.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Gozu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:22 pm

This should be interesting viewing.

ABC will cover the Cricket ball-tampering scandal in a news special, Caught Out, at 7:30pm Easter Monday.

When did Australian cricket adopt a win-at-all- costs culture? When did it turn toxic?

We investigate what led to the cheating scandal and why Steve Smith, the man with the country’s highest sporting honour, played a key role.

This will be a 45 minute special meaning the Joanna and Jennifer: Absolutely Champers special is now out of schedule. Maigret’s Dead Man will begin at 8:15pm.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/03/airdat ... t-out.html
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 659 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

northerner wrote:I sincerely hope Smith is not given the same punishment as Warner. The remorse and contrition that Smith is exhibiting is immense. Unlike Warner, Smith is inherently a decent bloke who is not by nature a manipulative or conniving person. He comes over as naïve, not worldly in the slightest. I have NO doubt that Warner is the instigator, whilst Smith's biggest crime was not being strong enough to say NO. And it seems he was not the only one who needed to say NO to Warner over the past few seasons.
I would be happy if Warner receives a long enough ban to seriously consider walking away. I hope Smith receives far less. I hope the Aussie public cuts him some slack as person, if not as a skipper.
Do think Steve Smith and Cam Bancroft to a lesser extent will be able to rebuild their reputation. Warner on the other hand is cooked. His actions immediately after the event are someone who only ever thinks of themselves. Who gets on the gas with champagne and non cricket mates straight after being accused of a form of cheating second only to match fixing?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Someone has just told me they heard on the radio that Warner has come out furious that he has been thrown under the bus and that there is more news to come. Hmmm I wonder where this could lead to??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:47 pm

heater31 wrote:
northerner wrote:I sincerely hope Smith is not given the same punishment as Warner. The remorse and contrition that Smith is exhibiting is immense. Unlike Warner, Smith is inherently a decent bloke who is not by nature a manipulative or conniving person. He comes over as naïve, not worldly in the slightest. I have NO doubt that Warner is the instigator, whilst Smith's biggest crime was not being strong enough to say NO. And it seems he was not the only one who needed to say NO to Warner over the past few seasons.
Do think Steve Smith and Cam Bancroft to a lesser extent will be able to rebuild their reputation. Warner on the other hand is cooked. His actions immediately after the event are someone who only ever thinks of themselves. Who gets on the gas with champagne and non cricket mates straight after being accused of a form of cheating second only to match fixing?
Hes done at test cricket in my opinion. And he knows it and he is happy with it.

Hes more than happy to tour the world in the T20 comps.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm

locky801 wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Oh God please yes.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Yangebup » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Payne has been so gutsy with the bat in the last 2 tests when the top order have failed.

Ive always been really impressed with Payne, he's well respected & would make a good leader of this troop.

The best player isn't always the best choice as skipper.[/quote]

How prophetic.... Paine has been a revelation this summer. Yesterday I wouldnt have thought this waa necessary... now this changes everything. Smith xannot carry on. Integrity is vital for a leader... and cannot be restored overnight. Smith would u have apologised if this had not been brought to light? So... how often have you been guilty of other forms of cheating? Your answer doesnt matter because you have no integrity and I dont believe you.

Sad day... beaten on the field by an arrogant nation and self destruction within.

I know Northener - Psychic!! I wrote this on Saturday & meant Payne to replace the captain but I didn't mean the next day!!
Yangebup
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby northerner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Yangebup wrote:Payne has been so gutsy with the bat in the last 2 tests when the top order have failed.

Ive always been really impressed with Payne, he's well respected & would make a good leader of this troop.

The best player isn't always the best choice as skipper.

How prophetic.... Paine has been a revelation this summer. Yesterday I wouldnt have thought this waa necessary... now this changes everything. Smith xannot carry on. Integrity is vital for a leader... and cannot be restored overnight. Smith would u have apologised if this had not been brought to light? So... how often have you been guilty of other forms of cheating? Your answer doesnt matter because you have no integrity and I dont believe you.

Sad day... beaten on the field by an arrogant nation and self destruction within.

I know Northener - Psychic!! I wrote this on Saturday & meant Payne to replace the captain but I didn't mean the next day!![/quote]

And further to Paine... I would bat him at six and have Mitch Marsh come after him... twice not out in the last Test which is always a sign someone needs to head up the order and seems more reliable and mature than Mitch.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Looking like 12 months bans for Smith and Warner
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Yep, 12 month bans for both of them according to Jim Maxwell.

No word on Bancroft yet.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 659 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Gozu wrote:Yep, 12 month bans for both of them according to Jim Maxwell.

No word on Bancroft yet.

9 months apparently
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Wowee

More than I was expecting tbh
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby locky801 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

No word on Bancroft yet.

Yet they will still go an play in the Indian IPL and make a heap :oops:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 pm

locky801 wrote:

No word on Bancroft yet.

Yet they will still go an play in the Indian IPL and make a heap :oops:
Yeah these are CA bans only. All they can do is stop them playing tests. So they'll go and prostitute themselves out now to the T20 comps around the globe.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket