St Pauls OS
4%
Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:56 pm

The Ash Man wrote:
I remember back in the day, Friday night after work everyone went to the club for happy hour on the way home. It was a great atmosphere and without the distractions of Keno, TAB, Pokies there were actually good conversations.

I think there a few factors that have really killed this off.
Everyone is time poor these days, the days of the early Friday knock off are well and truly over.
Beer prices aren't what they used to be and people prefer to take the cheaper option and drink at home, knowing that Saturday they will be at the club.
Another factor (controversial, but true IMO) is the drink driving laws and the higher chance of getting caught these days. Gone are the days where some might have another sneaky one knowing they will be borderline.

Nail hit right on the head, .05 affects people far differently therefore it's basically two beers and you have to shut up shop and go home.

20+ years ago as long as you drove home sensibly you'd get left alone.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Brodlach wrote:Young,ignorant and selfish more like it.

I broadly agree with your point. But it is what it is. In order for all of us to survive a sustainable way to engage Generation X and younger is going to have to be found (and trust me I'm looking)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby beef » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Pag wrote:
beef wrote:
Pag wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I share morell's sentiments with this. People may have a crack at me when I say Salisbury do not pay players. A few of us senior blokes even started putting some money out of own pockets into a kitty each week to try to attract some guys, but the money we had was never going to be enough to entice anybody. We have fluctuated between Div 3-4 for the past 15 years based off a 'golden generation' of juniors from the late 90s-early 00s who have stuck with the club for nothing (lots have ventured elsewhere for a year or two then come back), but unfortunately that time will soon come to an end and we can only hope the next generation supports the place the way the previous one has (not just with playing, but with volunteering, supporting the bar + kitchen, attending functions regularly etc), otherwise we may end up facing the same fate as Mitchell Park are currently staring at. I can't imagine where we would be right now if our juniors hadn't been as strong as they were for past 20-25 years. And this is from Div 4, not Div 7.

I could never imagine being in town at a nightclub instead of my footy club bar at 8pm on a Saturday night. Unfortunately, those people (morell seems to be in the same boat) are slowly starting to die away. Footy clubs will follow unfortunately.

Pag you must be concerned about Salisbury's junior numbers this year. Where other clubs seem to have 2 or 3 teams every grade salisbury seem to be struggling to fill sides in every grade.
I'm not completely over junior numbers for each grade mate but I know the U16s are looking at two sides, something we've never had before.

I did hear you were trying to get two teams but it was looking unlikely. Need some more kids to replace the old fat blokes
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Having been involved in both, I believe there is a big disconnect between juniors and seniors at city footy clubs, this is where the SFL is country footy in the city, having 5 games each Saturday, with seniors supporting juniors and vice versa all day, creates a great community club feel.

This needs to be explored more in the AdFL, why not play some junior games on Saturdays?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:This needs to be explored more in the AdFL, why not play some junior games on Saturdays?

10:15am - C Grade
12:15pm - B Grade
14:15pm - A Grade
17:30pm - Womens

Where/When are you expected to fit juniors games in?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:50 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Dutchy wrote:This needs to be explored more in the AdFL, why not play some junior games on Saturdays?

Add in School Footy to that mix too
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:51 pm

and the under 18s are busy getting parro friday nights
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:19 pm

scottroo wrote:Pag we have had discussions before about different areas attracting larger sponsorships etc,

How can neighboring clubs of yours afford to spend huge amounts on players? Do they have rich people propping the club up? Or is their income the same but you just like to spend it in different areas?

I genuinely have no idea where the cash comes from. Sponsorship is a weak point for us, we played a college club a few years ago and one of their sponsors coughed up more than our whole club's sponsorship combined. We are under no illusions that this is becoming harder in the north with the flow on effect that losing Holdens etc will have. How other clubs manage it, I have no idea. Would love some info though.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

beef wrote:
Pag wrote:
beef wrote:Pag you must be concerned about Salisbury's junior numbers this year. Where other clubs seem to have 2 or 3 teams every grade salisbury seem to be struggling to fill sides in every grade.
I'm not completely over junior numbers for each grade mate but I know the U16s are looking at two sides, something we've never had before.

I did hear you were trying to get two teams but it was looking unlikely. Need some more kids to replace the old fat blokes

I'd happily replace the old fat blokes.
Pag
Coach

Been liked: 498 times

Postby Executive Member » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Pag wrote:
scottroo wrote:Pag we have had discussions before about different areas attracting larger sponsorships etc,

How can neighboring clubs of yours afford to spend huge amounts on players? Do they have rich people propping the club up? Or is their income the same but you just like to spend it in different areas?

I genuinely have no idea where the cash comes from. Sponsorship is a weak point for us, we played a college club a few years ago and one of their sponsors coughed up more than our whole club's sponsorship combined. We are under no illusions that this is becoming harder in the north with the flow on effect that losing Holdens etc will have. How other clubs manage it, I have no idea. Would love some info though.

get on the merger train and I will tell you 8)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:Having been involved in both, I believe there is a big disconnect between juniors and seniors at city footy clubs, this is where the SFL is country footy in the city, having 5 games each Saturday, with seniors supporting juniors and vice versa all day, creates a great community club feel.

This needs to be explored more in the AdFL, why not play some junior games on Saturdays?

School football on Saturday mornings is a big one

For years all the SFL clubs say 5 games on a Saturday is 'apparently' about making money :roll:

What needs to be explored is why the SFL clubs with Sunday juniors teams (e.g. u15's comp as no u14's or 16's now) don't put those excess teams in the SANFL juniors competition instead of a 6 or 5 team secondary competition or are some clubs scared they might not win each week?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:56 pm

jo172 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Young,ignorant and selfish more like it.

I broadly agree with your point. But it is what it is. In order for all of us to survive a sustainable way to engage Generation X and younger is going to have to be found (and trust me I'm looking)

Alot comes back to parents building and fostering some resilience in their children, not caving to every wish such as "I want change clubs so I can play with my school mates" or "I want to win a premiership". It's teaching them the values of loyalty, character and teamwork not only when winning but more importantly when going gets tough. It's only one club that wins the premiership in each competition each year, they are bloody tough to win and there will be many more years of hard work and seasons heartache before success can be achieved. The strength gained from sticking through the hard times makes the successes even sweeter.
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Executive Member wrote:It is a real tough one and I think looking back at the past shows what some will need to do to continue to survive

Look at PNU and Goodwood as examples of merging Clubs can actually make the new entity that much stronger

There are some golden opportunities for Clubs to come together and become so much stronger

Maybe have a chat with some of the people who were part of Norwood Union or St Raphaels pre-merge...
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Moe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Having been involved in both, I believe there is a big disconnect between juniors and seniors at city footy clubs, this is where the SFL is country footy in the city, having 5 games each Saturday, with seniors supporting juniors and vice versa all day, creates a great community club feel.

This is why some clubs have had to leave the SFL.

When I played juniors in the late 80's, we had very strong 18's & 16's at Morphy Parks.
Even then, I had school footy Saturday mornings, and a Saturday afternoon job.
The SFL demands for clubs having to fill all junior grades on Saturday mornings isnt viable for a lot of clubs.
Moe
League - Best 21

Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Executive Member wrote:It is a real tough one and I think looking back at the past shows what some will need to do to continue to survive

Look at PNU and Goodwood as examples of merging Clubs can actually make the new entity that much stronger

There are some golden opportunities for Clubs to come together and become so much stronger

Maybe have a chat with some of the people who were part of Norwood Union or St Raphaels pre-merge...

Curiously the Payneham blokes tend to be a tad more bitter than the Norwood Union blokes.

Amazing how much black and white stripes will get in people's heads
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:27 pm

The Tonsley Lion Crabs! lock it in!

Although flinders uni would never do so as theyre a university team
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Sorry I was under the impression that every club didn't have a C grade.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 pm

jo172 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Add in School Footy to that mix too

You only have college kids at your club? [BTW plenty of college kids play SFL over school footy]

There are also school holidays
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:

School football on Saturday mornings is a big one

For years all the SFL clubs say 5 games on a Saturday is 'apparently' about making money :roll:

What needs to be explored is why the SFL clubs with Sunday juniors teams (e.g. u15's comp as no u14's or 16's now) don't put those excess teams in the SANFL juniors competition instead of a 6 or 5 team secondary competition or are some clubs scared they might not win each week?

This year there will be more games on a Sunday in the SFL than on a Saturday so that argument doesn't hold water.

Im all for playing in SANFL juniors for our reserve teams, but while the SFL provide a comp why would we travel outside our area for a game of footy?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 am

what actual "private schools" exist down south whos teams actually impede on SFL saturday football teams
marbles
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League