Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Best Bets? Talking Odds? This is the place.

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:52 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:Bagged the Mornington Cup trifecta and felt robbed, thought it paid unders.

Short priced fave followed by 2nd or 3rd favourite suggests it was never going to pay much bud ... Would have guessed at say $60-$120

Short priced fave with 4th and 6th in the betting. Paid $82.80.

Was always going to be short with the odds on fave trumping, but I thought it still unders.

Kings will Dream $1.90 wins
Gallic Chieftan $8.20
Cismontane $9
Harrison $9.60 2nd
Bondeiger $11.20
Fastnet Dragon $13.40 3rd
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Supertab paid $97Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:54 pm

Winx confirmed not going OS

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Winx confirmed not going OS

Good, if the world wants to beat her then the world can come to her.

If an Australian soccer star wants to test themselves against the worlds best then they need to go to Europe. Our thoroughbred racing is as good as anywhere in the world and there's no reason to risk one of our true track stars.

Like I said, they want her title they can come and try and take it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby LPH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:44 am

Preview Posted 9:45am Saturday 31/03/2018

Saturday 31/03/2018

Good Morning fellow Punters… I am writing this week’s preview sitting in the glorious sunshine, under a dome shade, next to the 600m pole @ Oakbank Racecourse. It would be fair to say that I have had a ‘slow’ start to the Punt this Autumn & I could do with a ‘big’ day, here @ The Races!
As we all know by now, Winx is staying here in Australia, rather than going to Royal Ascot to take on the best in Europe. Personally, as a race fan, I am a little disappointed by this – but I understand the decision made by connections to try for an unprecedented 4th Cox Plate. That should be fun to watch in the Spring.

To more pressing matters. It’s fair to say that the Public Holiday yesterday allowed me greater time to do the Form this week & watch some replays & recorded TV shows from Sky & Racing.com.

Sydney Race 6 – The Tancred Stakes (former BMW)

I read a ‘tweet’ with interest during the week written by renowned Form Analyst & Professional Punter Dominic Berne. He stated that since this race has followed the Ranvet, 1 week later, no horse has run in the Ranvet & backed up & won this race. With such a small field, I am happy to listen to this advice & bet around it. As such, Almandin must be given a big show of winning the race but $2.90 is very short. As always, I’m looking for some better value & have settled on the Japanese runner, Ambitious. Not sure he’ll get the fast pace up front he needs to show his best, but his 4th in the Teno Show, carrying 1 kgs less, reads well for this. His run in the Australian Cup wasn’t too bad considering & @ the $3.60 the Place, I’m happy to have a small wager on him, 1 x 5 Units.

Backing: Ambitious 1 x 5 Units.

Sydney Race 7 – The Vinery Stud Stakes

This race is a cracker! Best race on the card & the 5/1 the field is a reflection of the quality of the race. Personally, I think the favourite Unforgotten is a ‘false favourite’. The forgotten runner is the Top-weight, Aloisia – she’s quality & don’t be surprised if she goes well here, despite the wide gate. I have been a Hiyaam fan for 6 months now & her effort to ‘come again’ at the end of the race last week & run 2nd was a good effort. Can she back up? Most of the favoured runners are drawn out in the race. I think it’s important to look for proven distance types. Luvaluva has been scratched & I actually thought she could win the race. I’ve settled on No. 12 All Too Soon. Good Jockey, good Trainer. From the Gate, I expect her to go back. She’s a nice ‘run on’ type Filly & I think she’ll go well in the Australian Oaks in 2 weeks. She’s $15 for the Oaks & $16 today. With that in mind, I’m backing her to run well today – 1 x 4 Units, in a very open race.

Backing: All Too Soon 1 x 4 Units

Sydney Race 2 - The Neville Selwood Stakes

I’m a fan of the Godolphin runner Tally & I’m just backing him @ the price. He’s had 2 runs back & 3rd up, I think he can fire with Angland in the seat. I like this race as a Trifecta Race too.

Backing Tally: 1 x 4 Units
Box Trifecta: 1, 3, 6, 9, 11

Melbourne Race 8 – Victoria Handicap

This race ‘maps’ like it will be a fast run affair up front. As such I’m looking for a ‘run on’ horse to hit the line hard. I have listened to ‘Hutchy’ on Get On & he mentioned 2 x horses; So Si Bon & Violate. With the scratching, Violate gets a run & I’m backing him. He’ll be doing his best work in the last 150m & if he can get out, might just get up. Happy to back him 1 x 5 Units.

Backing: Violate 1 x 5 Units.

Oakbank Comment …

As always, Oakbank is a difficult proposition – it’s always prudent to look for runners that have run here, won here or are trained here.

Oakbank Race 8 – Oakbank Stakes

I will be backing 2 horses here; No. 1 Heart of a Lion & No. 9 Nipperkin.
Lloyd Kennewell is a great local trainer & Heart of a Lion has reasonable formlines, while Nipperkin is trained on track.

Backing: Heart of a Lion 2 x 4 Units & Nipperkin 1 x 3 Units

Oakbank Race 5 – The Great Eastern Steeplechase

Disappointing that only 5 runners will contest the race. Zed Em won the Von Dousa 2 weeks ago reasonably comfortably but he’s Odds On. I’ll be backing the Paddy Payne runner, Top-weight No Song No Supper @ 6/1.

Backing: No Song No Supper 5 Units Win

Oakbank Race 7 – Country Cup
I looked at this race for some time yesterday & settled on No. 4 Unrealistic @ the price. I think we’ll get better on the Tote, so prepared to wait but the Powered $9 with Sportsbet is OK. I like the $2.70 on Ubet the Place, so happy to load up here, 3 x 7 Units.

Backing: Unrealistic 3 x 7 Units.

Oakbank Quaddie: 1,2,6,9 / 1,3,4,7,11 / 1,5,9,10 / 2,6,11 (20%)

So, there it is Lads – another attempt at a small fortune ;)
Until next week, Enjoy a great day on the punt.
If you are up here @ Oakbank, come & say Hi – I’m at the 600m Pole 
Happy Punting…
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LPH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am

Lads... just walked the track from the Finish line to the 600m... **** Me!
The track is VERY lush - long grass & very uneven underfoot!
Best going is clearly 'on the paint'.

If you are having a Bet on Oakbank, could pay to back leaders drawn in - particularly in the sprint races.
I would be surprised if the back markers make much ground up the straight down the middle of the track 8)
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby LPH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm

What a good day on the Punt... have won back all that I've lost this Autumn!
Abebe @ $25
Spright @ $15
Heart of a Lion @ $10

& a number of Place getters :)

Left before the last :)
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:27 pm

LPH wrote:What a good day on the Punt... have won back all that I've lost this Autumn!
Abebe @ $25
Spright @ $15
Heart of a Lion @ $10

& a number of Place getters :)

Left before the last :)

Did you take the HOAL and Nipperkin quinella? reckon i saw it paid about 70 bucks
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LPH » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 am

Magellan running @ Sandown today Race 8 No 18.
How ya feeling? Can you win 1st Up from a Spell?
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 am

Randwick race 10-3
Wedgie
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby LPH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Preview Posted 9:40pm Friday 06/04/2018

Saturday 07/04/2018

I write this as a Punter thankful for a couple of good priced winners & place getters last week @ Oakbank that has made the ‘bank’ look far healthier than in previous weeks! Sometimes such Days on the Punt can be fraudulent, as they keep you interested enough to keep on chasing the ‘Big’ payouts. That said, Eric Musgrove has been very helpful in ‘Paying for the Day’ in recent times. I backed Abebe in the Von Dousa & ‘did my dough’ but recouped plenty last week back over the Hurdles. Anyway, enough of the Post Mortums…

What a huge Day tomorrow is in Sydney – looks like the weather will be good too, making the Racing fair & a true reflection of ability this year, which is pleasing! … 4 x Group 1s, 1 x Group 2 & 4 x Group 3s, plus the Country Championships Final – every race with strong fields & plenty of interest. So, to it…

Sydney Race 4 – Country Championships

I don’t usually bet on these types of races but by chance I ‘spied’ a Tweet from Paul Messara on Wednesday morning, suggesting that his runner finally drew a Gate, & ‘Gator’ retweeted with “… stupid price”. That is good enough ‘Oil’ for me & I jumped right in, No. 2 Caerless Choice. At the enhanced $14 on offer & the $3.60 Place is nice too. His record at the distance is good (3 from 5 placed including 2 wins), has Bell in the seat & meets the Top-weight 1.5kgs better for last start. He’ll do me, 1 x 4 Units.

Backing: Caerless Choice 1 x 4 Units

Sydney Race 7 - The Australian Derby

This is an excellent example of the race, this year. As I said, the good weather makes it much more even this year & I am looking forward to watching the race. I was taken by the Kiwi, Vin De Dance last start & I backed him early in the week, enhanced at $11 & $3.30 Place, as I thought the prices were good. He should get a ‘gem’ run from the gate & you know he’ll run the journey – based on his NZ Derby victory. I can see a similar situation unfolding here, where he’ll be there ‘coming over the rise’ in the straight & maybe he’ll be able to kick away.

The Victoria Derby winner Ace High is the obvious danger & all things being equal, should run in the top 3 – Even Money the Place would be a very good bet on him. Belfast has been ‘ticking along nicely toward this race & has now had a run this way of going – concede him an Eachway chance & don’t dismiss the Waller runner Tangled – that was a great run previously in the Rosehill Guineas from an outside gate.

Backing: Vin De Dance 1 x 5 Units; Belfast 1 x 4 Units
Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 3, 7, 12, 14 (30%)

Sydney Race 5 – The Chairman’s Quality

I was told many years ago that you should always back the Top-weight in a ‘Quality’. I see no reason to waiver from that view here. Ventura Storm ran a great 3rd in the Australian Cup at WFA. The $13 Enhanced is very juicy & I reckon the $3.40 the Place is an absolute ‘gift’! Happy to back him 1 x 5 Units. I also reckon this is a good Trifecta & Pick 4 Race to bet into.

Backing: Ventura Storm 1 x 4 Units
Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 11 (30%)
Pick 4: 1, 3, 7 /1, 3, 7, 8/ Field / Field (2%)

Sydney Race 8 – The TJ Smith

Redzel is a justified favourite & all things considered, should win. But 6/4 is too short for me. I like a bit of a ‘roughy’ in this race – looking for an upset, but tipping it to run a Place; No. 12 Trapeze Artist.
He might get a bit of cover from this gate & have the last run at them. Happy to gamble 1 x 4 Units.

Backing: Trapeze Artist 1 x 4 Units.
Quinella: 1, 12 for 3 Units
Exacta: 12 / 1 for 2 Units

Sydney Race 9 – The Doncaster Mile

The wraps on Kementari have been big & rightly so, but I’m not sure he can run out a strong 1600m & at the short quote, am prepared to risk him to win. Tom Melbourne just has to be a PLACE Bet, doesn’t he? He’s Group 1 Placed x 3 times over the Mile & the fact he’s $4.70 the Place on Ladbrokes, I just have to have a ticket. That said, looking for the winner, I think Happy Clapper will get the run of the race & is likely to look the winner at some stage, One would think.

There’s a couple of ‘forgotten runners’ in the race too, IMHO. Egg Tart was considered a ‘World Beater’ not that long ago & she’s ridiculous odds at 40/1. She’s drawn well & has no weight, you could do worse than have a small wager on her Eachway – currently $8.50 the Place.

Another is the Weir runner Tosen Stardom - $34 is well overs here, I have him pegged as a $13 chance! Last start was a ‘forgive run’ IMHO & Williams will give him every chance from the middle of the field. Plenty of chances, but happy to follow my instinct here.

Backing: Tosen Stardom 1 x 3 Units; Tom Melbourne 3 Units Place; Happy Clapper 3 Units Win
Box Trifecta: 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 12 (30%)

What a great day’s racing to enjoy, Lads.
Good Luck & Happy Punting…
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Got to love Happy Clapper $$$$$$
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Brodlach » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 am

I think I love Trapeze Artist more
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LPH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:23 am

Brodlach wrote:I think I love Trapeze Artist more

Err, I loved the $23 Exacta Dividend more than both!
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 am

Tough day at the office yesterday, thankfully had a saver on Houtzen at 11's. Morendi at Toowoomba, Ashlor at Benny and Broker out West small collects but enough to get me about square.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:54 pm

LPH wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I think I love Trapeze Artist more

Err, I loved the $23 Exacta Dividend more than both!

Getting $81 for Trapeze Artist tops that a few starts ago (earlier in this thread) :D

That horse owes me nothing ever
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Winx wins again.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Winx wins again.

Ladbrokes were giving 22/10 max $500 for today and the Cox Plate
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Winx wins again.

Ladbrokes were giving 22/10 max $500 for today and the Cox Plate
She needs to start $1.60 or shorter for it to be value. Hard to see how she doesnt start shorter...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am

Any Daniel Moor fans here?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times