Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Pag wrote:The five minute drive into town to the proper Waikerie Bakery is definitely worth it.

Cheers, will definitely tell the minister of leisure and finance next journey.

I love a great bakery, I always make sure I'm passing Nhill mid-morning when driving to Melbourne to capitalise on their bakery.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Bum Crack wrote:That bakery is shit house.

You'd have more visits than I would've had so you'd be a better judge.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:The five minute drive into town to the proper Waikerie Bakery is definitely worth it.

I love a great bakery, I always make sure I'm passing Nhill mid-morning when driving to Melbourne to capitalise on their bakery.

Might have to remember that for future. I normally try and time it for breakfast at the Morning loaf bakery in Keith or their other one in Bordertown but the last couple of times it hasn’t been up to the standard it once was
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Might have to remember that for future. I normally try and time it for breakfast at the Morning loaf bakery in Keith or their other one in Bordertown but the last couple of times it hasn’t been up to the standard it once was

The little Cafe in Kaniva (on the left, Adel-Melb) goes alright too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The little Cafe in Kaniva (on the left, Adel-Melb) goes alright too

Cheers.
With the price of flights I don’t drive over much any more, maybe only once or twice a year tops but I’ll have to check them out
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby magpie in the 80's » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:14 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Boony's at Pt Noarlunga for wedding anniversary

Shared the crumbed mushrooms for entree.....had them before and delicious. $16

We had the Seafood platter for 2. Again we have had this previously....and again it didnt let us down. Absolutely delightful. $60.

Lemon lime and bitters and a swell lager for drinks.

Given the food was so delicious and we were more than content and we have some dessert which we have brought back and yet to be eaten.

$103.30

Simply awesome place.
Staff welcome you like old friends.

Love it.

While in Adelaide over Easter took the opportunity to visit one of Mt79's ( and one of our members namesake ) favourite eateries. Couldn't agree more to what MT said. Staff attentive and treat you like old friends. Couldn't go past the seafood platter for 2 which was made for 3. Plenty of salt and pepper squid, garlic prawns, crumbled garfish, dukkah barramundi, aoli, with a small salad and hand cut chips. Drinks consisting of ginger beer, lemon lime and bitters, James boag beer and glass of white. Cost $114.00. Absolute recommend the place if you are down Port Noarlunga. After a walk down to the Jetty and back decided to call back in for coffee and dessert for 3. Cost $26.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Have driven past that place a few times, but something has always put me off, maybe the name :)

Will give it a go!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:Have driven past that place a few times, but something has always put me off, maybe the name :)

Will give it a go!

We're waiting for you.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Pag » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for the Clare Valley? Heading up for three days next week.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Pag wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for the Clare Valley? Heading up for three days next week.

@whufc
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Pag wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for the Clare Valley? Heading up for three days next week.

Pikes Brewery and Shut the Gate Winery are two top picks for me.

Shut the Gate have a great little store / shop that you can purchase all manner of small goods, cheeses etc that they then plate for you and there's plenty of outdoor seating options to go and enjoy your platter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Haven't been there for a while, but Skillogalee always gets a good wrap.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Grenville » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Paulett winery. Top notch reds on offer.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Grenville wrote:

Paulett winery. Top notch reds on offer.

Taylor’s and Mitchell’s always get a look in for me when I’ve been up there before.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Reillys Wines restaurant is really good but it is only open for lunch.

Artisans table has closed I think, but that was top notch too.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 am

Mister Mick's tapas restaurant.

https://mrmick.com.au/
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby grant j » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Stayed a couple of nights at the Port Lincoln Hotel on our Honeymoon
We dined at Sarin's Restaurant and thought we would share the Seafood Platter. Not being really hungry we only ordered the platter for one to share and deciding to order dessert after. The Menu said it came with a half Morton Bay Bug. When it arrived there was no bug but a scallop instead. The meal was average but had not been warned the bug was now been substituted for one scallop. We ask the waiting staff about the half bug which she informed us about the substitution, wasn't really happy. We ordered desserts and when the same staff member was processing our order she was speaking to another waiting staff. They both turned around and looked directly at us then quickly turned around. One can only assume the conversation was not complimentary about us. Very disappointed we were not told about the bug/scallop swap and the way the staff dealt with the situation.

Rest of the Hotel was nice when not dealing with the Staff.

When checking out we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay, something that is normally asked even if the staff aren't really interested.

Peacock Gardens Chinese Restaurant up the road much better food & service.
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Pag wrote:Went to Kaffanabar on Peel St before Ed Sheeran last night, heard good things.

Guy behind the bar informed me that they aren't usually busy on Wednesdays nights and as such only usually have one chef on. Obviously it was relatively busy when we walked in at 6pm on concert night, and he informed us they couldn't get another chef to come in so the wait for food may be a while. No probs, appreciated the heads up. Ordered a Serbian pilsener while we waited.

$10 burgers were a great promo, got 2x Kaffana burgers with pork/beef patty on turkish roll, with tomato, bacon, lettuce, havarti cheese, onion and 'kaffana' sauce. The half beef/pork patty was a bit heavier than what you'd expect at other burger establishments but worked a treat! (and cooked a bit more well than usual burger joints but still juicy) Havarti melted perfectly, and the kaffana sauce was amazing. Plenty of grilled onion which I love. Chips (not fries) were really fluffy with a bit of a crunch. Up there with the best burgers I've had in the city (alongside B&B and Burger Boss).

2x burgers with chips, plus 2 pilseners and a coke for about $40. Steal. Will be back ASAP.

Went to kaffana bar before the Crows Richmond game

After the initial confusion about the venue - there are two kaffana bars - one on gilbert st which is the original restaurant, and it seems they have also set up residence in a small bar on peel st. Turns out the peel st one is where I needed to go.

Place was pretty quiet when we got there at 5pm, was expecting it to be packed given it was easter weekend but it wasnt, so that was nice.

Had the kaffana burger as well. Was ok without being amazing. I think it was $15.

They also had $15 jugs of young hennrys' which was great value and certainly made it worth going back.

Will be going back there tomorrow night before the collingwood game to try some of the other burgers
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 pm

First Commercial - Port Adelaide

Young Miss Boon and I are racking up hours for her learners log book, living nearby we made our way back to the Port at the end of the drive.

She went the chicken schnitty with mushroom, nothing to report other than chips were on the side.

Me, I went the "Stuffed Burger" and I sure was at the end. The burger itself, a beef and pork mix stuffed with mushrooms and cheese is about 4-5cm thick itself. The whole thing assembled would have been 15-20cm high and arrived with a steak knife skewered through it to hold it in place. Simply there is no way to pick the thing up, no way at all. it had to be deconstructed and eaten with utensils.

Pork/beef pattie stuffed with cheese and mushrooms, bacon, onion rings, lettuce, tomato, relish on a brioche bun w/chips $21. I was up for a feed and it beat me, not often that happens.

Schnitty, burger, coke and a pint of Prancing Pony Sunshine Ale $52. The place had a bad reputation a few years ago, it's improved out of sight since the two brothers took over and that burger was absolute gold.

7/10 for the pub and 8.5/10 for that burger.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Booney wrote:First Commercial - Port Adelaide

Young Miss Boon and I are racking up hours for her learners log book, living nearby we made our way back to the Port at the end of the drive.

She went the chicken schnitty with mushroom, nothing to report other than chips were on the side.

Me, I went the "Stuffed Burger" and I sure was at the end. The burger itself, a beef and pork mix stuffed with mushrooms and cheese is about 4-5cm thick itself. The whole thing assembled would have been 15-20cm high and arrived with a steak knife skewered through it to hold it in place. Simply there is no way to pick the thing up, no way at all. it had to be deconstructed and eaten with utensils.

Pork/beef pattie stuffed with cheese and mushrooms, bacon, onion rings, lettuce, tomato, relish on a brioche bun w/chips $21. I was up for a feed and it beat me, not often that happens.

Schnitty, burger, coke and a pint of Prancing Pony Sunshine Ale $52. The place had a bad reputation a few years ago, it's improved out of sight since the two brothers took over and that burger was absolute gold.

7/10 for the pub and 8.5/10 for that burger.

We went there for lunch for Mrs HH3's birthday in between festivities and she got the same burger.

It was a mess by the time she was done. No where near finishing it.

I played it smart and got the schnitty with mushrrom gravy. Prancing Pony Sunshine Ale as well.

Your score checks out.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion