Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby morell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Who was that bloke potting Motlop all preseason because he was saltier than a pirates beard? He's been the pick of our recruits thus far. Playing a perfect role for us.

Regards,

Mor-ell-e-boy.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Also, Ken...

You're slipping into old habits.... stick to the structure that works and replace like for like. This isn't Moneyball and you're not Billy Beane.

Pick. A. Ruckman. Before it costs us
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MW » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:58 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Prepared to lift the lid yet Boon and go out on a limb with a prermiership prediction?
Only undefeated team left. Won ugly, all boxes ticked now

Theirs to lose this year
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:22 pm

MW wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Prepared to lift the lid yet Boon and go out on a limb with a prermiership prediction?

Theirs to lose this year

Sydney and Adelaide are still better sides than Port imo
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:46 am

MW wrote:

Theirs to lose this year

Wankers. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:46 am

bennymacca wrote:
MW wrote:

Theirs to lose this year

Sydney aren't, we beat them in Sydney without Ryder.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:32 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
MW wrote:

Theirs to lose this year

Sydney aren't, we beat them in Sydney without Ryder.

You beat them last year aswell. Swans don’t warm up until the back half of the season. They will be there at the pointy end again I’d suspect. Probably only a 4 horse race to win it IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 am

Jim05 wrote:You beat them last year aswell. Swans don’t warm up until the back half of the season. They will be there at the pointy end again I’d suspect. Probably only a 4 horse race to win it IMO

I agree they'll be there again, they obviously won't be 0-6 like they were last year when they just ran out of puff.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am

Well, a wins a wins a win and sometimes you have to win ugly but those of us on the other side of the fence would rather not having to endure that sort of performance too often.

There was a bit of talk around wanting to get off to a good start against the Lions and it was anything but. With Stef Martin (he always plays well against Port) making his intentions known very early the smaller fleet of foot Brisbane midfield broke away from a couple of early stoppages as ex Crow Charlie Cameron bagged two goals inside the first 5 minutes in response to Watts’ and Motlop’s early behinds for the good guys. Dixon converted from a tight angle, Robbie Gray marked and goals and normal transmission had resumed. Bit of inaccuracy in the first quarter and with 10 scoring shots to 4 we’re off. Oh well, we all thought, figuring it was all the fight the Lions had in them. Bzzzt. Wrong.

While Martin was making the aerial contests his own he was bringing the likes of Mathieson, Chirstensen and Cutler into the game. For us Jared Polec continued his fine start to the season and my inner nerd tells me he had 9 first quarter touches and he, along with Hartlett early kept the ball rebounding in the right direction. Unfortunately the Lions half back line was working like a trampoline and it was coming back just as fast, especially when the ball made its way to ground and a contest ensued. We were getting slaughtered in close. It stayed that way most of the day, most notably in the second quarter as the Lions piled on 5.6 to our 3.1 and took a lead of 11 points into half time. I’ll touch on his game later, but 2 of these 3 goals came from the boot of Sammy Gray. Very, very important they turned out to be. A little like my last report at half time with several players including Boak, SPP and Rockliff barely getting involved.

All the talk around my seats was about Hinkley going old school on the boys at half time with the proverbial rocket sent upwards from beneath and it looked that way from the moment the second half started. Goal Westhoff, goal Rockliff, goal Watts, great desperation in the contest, scrap, scrap, pick up and snap and another goal to Sammy Gray and the 11 point deficit is now a 11 point lead and phew! That’s better boys. Polec was still winning outside ball and pumping it forward, Wines despite rolling the ankle just before the half came out angry, Hartlett bounced a couple out of D50, Clurey kept a dangerous entry away from Cameron and with 4 I50’s for 3 goals ( Wingard involved in all of them up the ground ) we looked like getting my multi off to a good start by covering my 39.5+ bet. Two coast to coast goals from kick ins and it seemed the structure was again solid. 3 goals up at ¾ time and my multi is alive, just, on the back of Port smashing Brisbane on the outside, 80 uncontested possessions to 28 in that quarter and we controlled the ball and did with it as we pleased.

The last quarter started, Port did not. We. Stopped. The first few minutes of the last quarter was a bit of an arm wrestle, a few behinds to either side and then a goal to Hugh McCluggage brings it back to 11 points. There’s a bit more messing around with an SPP snap missing narrowly as he got himself into the game and with Robbie Gray dishing off to Watts who could have sealed the game but failed to make the distance from 45 it was a case of one more major and we’re home. Well, not quite. Martin kept at it and was still dominating in the ruck, a questionable free to him and he hands off to a runner who delivers to Hipwood and the lanky lefty kicks truly from 50 and oh no…. Oh. No. 5 points. The worst lead with 5 to play.

I’ll say this, in years gone by this would have been a game we dropped, this would have got away from us. We’re a little sterner now and the likes of Ebert, Wines, SPP and Boak all had important little touches, tackles, physical contests, bumps, something to influence the ball movement in the last 8 minutes that might have saved us the game, they certainly contributed to it. The last 5 minutes was far too nerve wracking for a 30° day early in the year against a winless side but credit to the Lions, they simply did not stop coming at us and they worked their way through our set up behind the ball with speed of ball movement first and heading direct at goal second. Chip it sideways against Port in defence and our zone slides across to halt the movement but go at it as soon as you get the ball down back and we don’t have time for Clurey or Jonas to drop off and repel the attack. Well coached, Mr Fagan.

Somehow we held on with the last few minutes all Brisbane and if not for Polec taking up residency on the goal line a late Rayner snap with under 2 to play wouldn’t have seen us down by one dastardly point. That would have made coming to work on Monday an improbable if not impossible task.

Kudos to Sammy Gray, with the likes of Wingard, R.Gray, Motlop, Boak etc all moving through the forward half it’s easy to forget how crucial his ground work has become to us. Wingard likes to grab the ball in the air, Robbie likes to rove front and centre and Sammy has made the scrap and scrape his domain. He’s become and important cog in our wheel and of our 14 goals he kicked 3, was involved in 3 with assists and had 9 involvements in scoring chains.

One cog that needs some greasing though is ex-Lion skipper Rockliff. His 19 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal game is his best to date but he looks really under done around the ground and appears to be struggling to turn. I hope to see him moving more freely in the next couple of weeks.

Boons best – Polec, S.Gray, Wingard, Hartlett, Ebert, Wines.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm

morell wrote:Who was that bloke potting Motlop all preseason because he was saltier than a pirates beard? He's been the pick of our recruits thus far. Playing a perfect role for us.

Regards,

Mor-ell-e-boy.

Mate, I've got nothing. :(

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
morell wrote:Who was that bloke potting Motlop all preseason because he was saltier than a pirates beard? He's been the pick of our recruits thus far. Playing a perfect role for us.

Regards,

Mor-ell-e-boy.

regards,

REB

:X :X :X :X
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

Mor-ell-e-boy.

regards,

REB

:X :X :X :X

Came in to take my lumps. ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby hawks21 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Regards,

Mor-ell-e-boy.

5 goals is a decent return and getting a fair bit of the ball. Needs to increase his forward pressure thou, only had 6 tackles in 3 games.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm

hawks21 wrote:5 goals is a decent return and getting a fair bit of the ball. Needs to increase his forward pressure thou, only had 6 tackles in 3 games.

He's playing more of a wing role isn't he?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:Well, a wins a wins a win and sometimes you have to win ugly but those of us on the other side of the fence would rather not having to endure that sort of performance too often.

There was a bit of talk around wanting to get off to a good start against the Lions and it was anything but. With Stef Martin (he always plays well against Port) making his intentions known very early the smaller fleet of foot Brisbane midfield broke away from a couple of early stoppages as ex Crow Charlie Cameron bagged two goals inside the first 5 minutes in response to Watts’ and Motlop’s early behinds for the good guys. Dixon converted from a tight angle, Robbie Gray marked and goals and normal transmission had resumed. Bit of inaccuracy in the first quarter and with 10 scoring shots to 4 we’re off. Oh well, we all thought, figuring it was all the fight the Lions had in them. Bzzzt. Wrong.

While Martin was making the aerial contests his own he was bringing the likes of Mathieson, Chirstensen and Cutler into the game. For us Jared Polec continued his fine start to the season and my inner nerd tells me he had 9 first quarter touches and he, along with Hartlett early kept the ball rebounding in the right direction. Unfortunately the Lions half back line was working like a trampoline and it was coming back just as fast, especially when the ball made its way to ground and a contest ensued. We were getting slaughtered in close. It stayed that way most of the day, most notably in the second quarter as the Lions piled on 5.6 to our 3.1 and took a lead of 11 points into half time. I’ll touch on his game later, but 2 of these 3 goals came from the boot of Sammy Gray. Very, very important they turned out to be. A little like my last report at half time with several players including Boak, SPP and Rockliff barely getting involved.

All the talk around my seats was about Hinkley going old school on the boys at half time with the proverbial rocket sent upwards from beneath and it looked that way from the moment the second half started. Goal Westhoff, goal Rockliff, goal Watts, great desperation in the contest, scrap, scrap, pick up and snap and another goal to Sammy Gray and the 11 point deficit is now a 11 point lead and phew! That’s better boys. Polec was still winning outside ball and pumping it forward, Wines despite rolling the ankle just before the half came out angry, Hartlett bounced a couple out of D50, Clurey kept a dangerous entry away from Cameron and with 4 I50’s for 3 goals ( Wingard involved in all of them up the ground ) we looked like getting my multi off to a good start by covering my 39.5+ bet. Two coast to coast goals from kick ins and it seemed the structure was again solid. 3 goals up at ¾ time and my multi is alive, just, on the back of Port smashing Brisbane on the outside, 80 uncontested possessions to 28 in that quarter and we controlled the ball and did with it as we pleased.

The last quarter started, Port did not. We. Stopped. The first few minutes of the last quarter was a bit of an arm wrestle, a few behinds to either side and then a goal to Hugh McCluggage brings it back to 11 points. There’s a bit more messing around with an SPP snap missing narrowly as he got himself into the game and with Robbie Gray dishing off to Watts who could have sealed the game but failed to make the distance from 45 it was a case of one more major and we’re home. Well, not quite. Martin kept at it and was still dominating in the ruck, a questionable free to him and he hands off to a runner who delivers to Hipwood and the lanky lefty kicks truly from 50 and oh no…. Oh. No. 5 points. The worst lead with 5 to play.

I’ll say this, in years gone by this would have been a game we dropped, this would have got away from us. We’re a little sterner now and the likes of Ebert, Wines, SPP and Boak all had important little touches, tackles, physical contests, bumps, something to influence the ball movement in the last 8 minutes that might have saved us the game, they certainly contributed to it. The last 5 minutes was far too nerve wracking for a 30° day early in the year against a winless side but credit to the Lions, they simply did not stop coming at us and they worked their way through our set up behind the ball with speed of ball movement first and heading direct at goal second. Chip it sideways against Port in defence and our zone slides across to halt the movement but go at it as soon as you get the ball down back and we don’t have time for Clurey or Jonas to drop off and repel the attack. Well coached, Mr Fagan.

Somehow we held on with the last few minutes all Brisbane and if not for Polec taking up residency on the goal line a late Rayner snap with under 2 to play wouldn’t have seen us down by one dastardly point. That would have made coming to work on Monday an improbable if not impossible task.

Kudos to Sammy Gray, with the likes of Wingard, R.Gray, Motlop, Boak etc all moving through the forward half it’s easy to forget how crucial his ground work has become to us. Wingard likes to grab the ball in the air, Robbie likes to rove front and centre and Sammy has made the scrap and scrape his domain. He’s become and important cog in our wheel and of our 14 goals he kicked 3, was involved in 3 with assists and had 9 involvements in scoring chains.

One cog that needs some greasing though is ex-Lion skipper Rockliff. His 19 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal game is his best to date but he looks really under done around the ground and appears to be struggling to turn. I hope to see him moving more freely in the next couple of weeks.

A nice summary, mate. Nephew of god was best on for mine, followed by Frodo, Hammer, Polec & Motlop.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:Well, a wins a wins a win and sometimes you have to win ugly but those of us on the other side of the fence would rather not having to endure that sort of performance too often.

A nice summary, mate. Nephew of god was best on for mine, followed by Frodo, Hammer, Polec & Motlop.

Yep, pretty good summary. You can see Brisbane are working to fix their defence first and work the ball out of their backline and score on the counter quickly. Well set up back there with Hodge taking control and then the quick ball movement to their forward line. Our forward 50 was stacked for the majority of the game with numbers and i thought we were trying to be too cute or too unselfish in the forward 50. Just wanted someone to put their hand up and take control! In the end we had plenty of chances to bury the game, but thankfully held on. Don't often agree with Morell, but Frampton is a must this week. Had good numbers on Friday night by the looks of it as well. Houston may be the one squeezed out especially if sore after his knock late in the game. Worried about this week, a bogey team for us at a ground we struggle at. Despite Essendon's form, will be extremely happy to beat them at Etihad. This is the one i have been nervous about for the first 4 weeks. A win and i will start to feel very excited for the season ahead!
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Barry goes out before Houston.

Looks rushed when he has the ball and hasn't impressed me with his work off the ball. Zero tackles on the weekend, zero.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:Barry goes out before Houston.

Looks rushed when he has the ball and hasn't impressed me with his work off the ball. Zero tackles on the weekend, zero.

Yeah that stat line doesn't read well. Especially in a tight game. He hasn't really done much to date. I suppose then as well, Westhoff can come up to a wing if he is replaced by Frampton
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:

Yeah that stat line doesn't read well. Especially in a tight game. He hasn't really done much to date. I suppose then as well, Westhoff can come up to a wing if he is replaced by Frampton

Westhoff can't lead the rucks, not the way the big physical blokes play the game now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Booney wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:

Westhoff can't lead the rucks, not the way the big physical blokes play the game now.

That is why i hope big Bill gets the nod for this first game
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL