The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:13 pm

What 1 game and it needs to be changed again ? What a joke .
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:14 pm

therisingblues wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Koch wants 3 teams if afl reserves league gets set up.

Seriously.

Just Move crows and maggies on.

as much as wed love to smash a 3rd string port maggies in the sanfl.

How about ya just bugger off.

The Magpies would not be third string if they were no longer a power dump.
Ironically, the Magpies were probably moving into an era of dominance when the power outmuscled them and told most of the true magpies side to bugger off to make way for their AFL trainees. There's no way to prove that point, but if the Magpies were left to their own devices they'd again be harvesting the best of their country and city zones, and would eventually rebuild into a premiership threat.
It needs to be remembered that the Magpies had a membership ranked about 3rd or 4th in sanfl clubs before they were forced into a reserves unit.
Someone should ask those members what they'd prefer happen before they wear the power's footprint and be ground into history's dust.
Why do I give a shit? Am I not a Sturt supporter and sworn enemy of the black and white wherever it may dwell?
Because this is not influenced by bias, as much as I hate the blighters, a stand alone magpies side is a healthy thing for the sanfl.

Agreed, well put. The comp is stronger having a legitimate Maggie's team.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:42 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Koch wants 3 teams if afl reserves league gets set up.

Seriously.

Just Move crows and maggies on.

as much as wed love to smash a 3rd string port maggies in the sanfl.

How about ya just bugger off.

The Magpies would not be third string if they were no longer a power dump.
Ironically, the Magpies were probably moving into an era of dominance when the power outmuscled them and told most of the true magpies side to bugger off to make way for their AFL trainees. There's no way to prove that point, but if the Magpies were left to their own devices they'd again be harvesting the best of their country and city zones, and would eventually rebuild into a premiership threat.
It needs to be remembered that the Magpies had a membership ranked about 3rd or 4th in sanfl clubs before they were forced into a reserves unit.
Someone should ask those members what they'd prefer happen before they wear the power's footprint and be ground into history's dust.
Why do I give a shit? Am I not a Sturt supporter and sworn enemy of the black and white wherever it may dwell?
Because this is not influenced by bias, as much as I hate the blighters, a stand alone magpies side is a healthy thing for the sanfl.

You make a lot of sense for a Sturt supporter.
Maybe it’s the Carlton influence ;)

Piss the Power off and reinstate the Magpies and their original zones.
The Magpies will eventually be a force again.

Disagree strongly.
Port aspired to and moved into the highest standard comp in the land. They no longer need a presence in the SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby oldfella » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 pm

I am not a subsciber to the belief that we need a port adelaide in the sanfl rather given the reduction in sponsorship we need an 8 TEAM COMPETITION.

i agree it is dumb that the 2 afl teams are in under different conditions but surely that says something about the sanfl commision and senior staff --- think about it. If one talks to the various sanfl clubs one will soon find that one of the afl teams has continually caused continual bachground issues whilst the other has with one exception has treated the competition with respect --- interesting

I would not allow an afl academy nor would i allow an academy based team to play in the sanfl reserves competition ---- it robs young talent from the true sanfl clubs
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby therisingblues » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Did they not also continually battle with the Ethelton Magpies before "they could never be torn apart"?
I understand those that want the Magpies out, generally want to do it out of revenge, but you will be punishing the wrong beast. You will not find a Magpies fan that wants them dead, and a good percentage of them do not even follow the Power. Those die yards that continued to follow their team, in spite of everything, are the ones that also stood by the sanfl.
On the other hand, there are plenty of Power fans that could not care less about the magpies now, many of them actually want them eliminated.
Kill the Magpies and you make a faction within the Power very happy, and punish loyal fans that stood by the sanfl, in one swift stroke.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:51 pm

therisingblues wrote:Did they not also continually battle with the Ethelton Magpies before "they could never be torn apart"?
I understand those that want the Magpies out, generally want to do it out of revenge, but you will be punishing the wrong beast. You will not find a Magpies fan that wants them dead, and a good percentage of them do not even follow the Power. Those die yards that continued to follow their team, in spite of everything, are the ones that also stood by the sanfl.
On the other hand, there are plenty of Power fans that could not care less about the magpies now, many of them actually want them eliminated.
Kill the Magpies and you make a faction within the Power very happy, and punish loyal fans that stood by the sanfl, in one swift stroke.

Non-Port fans telling the masses how Port fans see things, interesting.

One your first point - without doubt the early years were a tumultuous time between the AFL and SANFL bodies, some of it our own doing, some of it the SANFL's doing. Internally the black and white of old who didn't adopt the extra colour on the guernsey were ostracized because of it, they were sent to Ethelton (an SANFL directive), they were not allowed to host events at Alberton (again, an SANFL directive) and felt the best people we had in SANFL land had been taken away. They had, from administrators to club volunteers the family was split like a nasty divorce and some chose Mum and some chose Dad.

As I've noted recently on here that divide has never been less than what it is now, whether that be from natural attrition, people walking away, time healing all wounds or a composite of all of that there's never been a more harmonious blend than there is now. There's far less "anti-AFL" than there was at the turn of the century. Perhaps just accepting that things have changed has occurred for some and it is now some 20 years on from that time.

What there now is, however ( and It's not a theory I subscribe to ) is a large number of people who want the Magpies gone from the SANFL and when they do leave they want us to leave with a middle finger in the air to the SANFL. I can sort of see why, much of the unrest 15-20 years ago was on the back of SANFL directives designed to lessen the AFL influence on the SANFL side and stop a Port Adelaide monopoly on the SANFL premiership. (Funny, we'd had one for nearly 30 years :D ). What that did was drive the Magpies into a slow death, the early 2000's were not a time to remember on or off field for the Magpies. Times were tough, dire in fact. Then again without the SANFL we wouldn't be anything, not just who we are, we just wouldn't be. To deny the SANFL as part of our rich history is absurd and only those who don't remember the great times would feel that way, IMO. The three in a rows, the 5 in 6 years, keeping North to 1 goal. Good times.

I think the vast majority of this groundswell is from people in their mid-20's who don't really remember the 1990 bid, the anger that came with it and followed us until 1997 nor do they remember the great divide created internally by our push into the AFL.

There will never be a kid from Rosewater play league football for the Magpies again, not a kid who is playing Grass Hoppers now, anyway, but that's what course we set ourselves on in 1990 and whilst it's a sad day in the eyes of many it's been compensated for with an AFL premiership and thousands standing arm in arm at Adelaide Oval with the promise you'll never tear us apart. Again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:19 pm

F me, you do go on a bit, don't you?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:24 pm

topsywaldron wrote:F me, you do go on a bit, don't you?

I doubt I would and you didn't have to read it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't need to read yet another Ports were done wrong / persecution complex post to see how long it is.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:06 pm

topsywaldron wrote:I don't need to read yet another Ports were done wrong / persecution complex post to see how long it is.

So you've got nothing to add to what was getting discussed but you came in anyway?

Roger that.

Oh, and TRB's first sentence ended with a "?", a question mark, that is. Unless it was rhetorical which can be hard to ascertain in written form.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:18 pm

It got us through 401. Another page in this threads rich history :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby LMA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I propose, that if we don't get a "I Told You So" premiership winner this year, Mods close the thread.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby scott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:23 pm

I propose when there's no AFL in the SANFL, mods close this thread.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby wild dog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Leave, stick up your middle finger, shout insults, lock arms and have a sing, but just pay the money back. Be our guests, continue to attend Adelaide Oval in your tens of thousands, have a nice feed, drink up and pay the rent. We will do the rest.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 pm

We don’t need a Port influence in the SANFL, we’ve tried every f***ing format, guise and reinvented media spin bull$hit AFL reserves team and it’s all created more issues than any perceived benefit. Koch just wants a presence to save face and spin his usual $hit to the masses. A third team in the SANFL will not benefit the comp. It’s the same for both reserves teams and it’s so bloody obvious what has to be done. I think most Port supporters are happy to leave also.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby MW » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 pm

wild dog wrote:Leave, stick up your middle finger, shout insults, lock arms and have a sing, but just pay the money back. Be our guests, continue to attend Adelaide Oval in your tens of thousands, have a nice feed, drink up and pay the rent. We will do the rest.

Pay what money back?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:47 am

Majority of Port fans who I know well and those I have met casually do not want the Magpies to leave the SANFL altogether.
I also think it would be a mistake to let them go.
Regardless of who pissed who off first.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:03 am

LMA wrote:I propose, that if we don't get a "I Told You So" premiership winner this year, Mods close the thread.

I suggest if it bothers you that much, don’t read it.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am

johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:I propose, that if we don't get a "I Told You So" premiership winner this year, Mods close the thread.

You talking to LMA, or Potsy?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:45 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

You talking to LMA, or Potsy?

Huh.?
johntheclaret
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL