Chris McDermott's Top 25 SANFL players

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Chris McDermott's Top 25 SANFL players

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am

1 Barrie Robran
The strongest memory of this great man is when he injured his knee in a state game against the Victoria at the SCG in 1974 but for me he is the GOAT of the SANFL.

Big marks, long goals, freakish evasive skills for a man his size. The 193cm star could play any position on the ground and play it as good as anyone in the game. He was tough too! Set the bar for every player in this state to beat. None have 45 years later.

2 Russell Ebert
He picked me up one day at Glenelg Oval as I was fumbling for the ball, turned me upside down and caught me holding the ball, then had a chuckle at my expense!

One of those moments I would like to forget, but can’t. His beauty was he never fumbled. Never. It may be the greatest quality a player can have. It gave him time and space and the rest was history. The drop kicks, the marks, his brilliance at boundary throw-ins jumping over the ruckman. All that and a great man to have a beer with and talk footy too!

3 Peter Carey
Defied logic, defied gravity, in fact he defied every thing you thought you needed to be a great player, yet he was. He wasn’t tall, he certainly wasn’t fast but he was and still is the most intelligent player I have ever seen or been lucky enough to play with. When “Super” said stand there at a ball up or throw in, best you be exactly where he said, or suffer his wrath. No big man has ever handballed as well as this bloke, he developed the Crows throw 10 years earlier. His torpedoes at the Bay Oval will never be forgotten, nor will the wars he had with Jeff Sarau, Neil Button and co. They were no place for the fainthearted or those under 183cm.

4 John Cahill
The first left footer that truly mesmerised me, despite the fact he was wearing a black and white jumper. I loved that he wasn’t blessed with blistering pace yet evaded them with ease. I loved that he won best and fairests as a 30 and 33-year-old and I loved it when he pulled on the famous South Australian State jumper and skippered our great state against the enemy.

5 Greg Phillips
How could you not admire this bloke. He’s too big not to. Perhaps the first bloke to wear size 40 shorts or bigger, he may have needed them custom made to fit his massive thighs. The sight of him with ball in his right hand and his left fist clenched ready to handball the ball 30m was one of the great sights of the game.

He was a rock in defence, creative and classy and a man to build a team around. His eight premierships says it all. He is the villain in many a Glenelg players nightmares.

6 Paul Bagshaw
Perhaps the only man in SANFL history to kick a goal in his jock-strap. A 45m goal nonetheless, from the boundary line at Adelaide Oval in typical Bagshaw fashion. Wet or dry, hot or cold, windy or calm, this magician was an anywhere, anytime, any place man that ended his days with 360 games, five best and fairest awards and seven premierships. He didn't look an athlete but he could run and jump with the best. The original Mr Magic.

7 Rick Davies
This bloke could make you laugh, make you cry and make the ball talk all at the same time. Built in the Peter Carey mould, the “Jumbo Prince “ wasn’t the tallest ruckman but he was one of the very best until he became a full forward and turned that into a new art form. Chest puffed out, ball tucked under his arm as he strutted back to his mark to kick a long goal, Jumbo let you know how he did it better than anyone. Hard but fair, his game in the 1976 Grand Final still stands as one of the best games from a player I have ever seen.

8 Stephen Clifford
Bomber. Bomber. Bomber. When they built the first ever team at Port Adelaide I reckon this bloke was the vision they had. Hard and tough, cheeky, brutal at times and a turn of phrase, if you get my drift, unlike any other but much like the Port Adelaide players to come. There wasn't much worse than losing to a Magpie team with Bomber in it unless of course you stood him when he had a day out. Not pleasant. Bomber was just smart and persistent , a great team man and just when you thought you had him covered, best think again, he got you.

9 Garry McIntosh
My first glimpse of Macca was watching an under-17 game at Glenelg with a young bloke , slightly rotund, with his socks down just crashing into packs, winning the ball and either handballing it like you’ve never seen or letting it rip off his left boot. None handballed like the Redlegs No.14 and no-one ever will again, it is an art that has died. Genuinely tough and brilliant it tragic he never played a game in the AFL.

10 Graham Cornes
I saw years and years of “ Studley” in my youth watching Glenelg games with Stephen Kernahan, he was unique in so many ways and misunderstood in many others. We all know and love his high marks. One at Norwood Oval in the dying moments to win the game was a favourite of mine but so was Phil Carman rubbing mud in his face. He loved to be hated and his toughness was unheralded. He welcomed youngsters, like myself, into the fold at the Tigers making life so much easier. And who could forget that kick at Adelaide Oval to goal late in the 1973 Grand Final remains stuff of legend but we’ve heard it enough Graham!

11 Michael Taylor
12 Scott Hodges
13 Michael Aish
14 Ralph Sewer
15 Bruce Lindsay
16 Bob Hammond
17 Brian Cunnginham
18 Neville Roberts
19 Ray Huppatz
20 Roger Woodcock
21 Peter Meuret
22 Keith Thomas
23 Tim Ginever
24 Grant Fielke
25 Terry Von Betouch

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 0a68b75d82
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Chris McDermott's Top 25 SANFL players

Postby GMcG » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:53 am

never played against Platten?
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm

GMcG wrote:never played against Platten?

Blight.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm guessing players like Platten, Kernahan, and McGuinness who went on the have legendary AFL careers on the back of 5 or so top-shelf years at the SANFL were left out by McDermott.

Edit re: Booney - I think the same logic applies re: Blight, in that their substantial on field achievements must've occurred at SANFL level.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Genuinely tough and brilliant it tragic he never played a game in the AFL.

Or demonstrates his commitment to the SANFL comp, and that all he wanted to do was to simply play for Norwood. That said, he would've dominated the VFL's boggy suburban grounds IMHO, but that's hardly a tragedy. He deserves credit for resisting the lure of the VFL/AFL when at his prime.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm

I heard the last bit of Blight & Cornes last night & they pretty much said it was more his favourite 25 rather than the definitive best.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm

A better player than most in that list by 5 goals. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Magellan wrote:

A better player than most in that list by 5 goals. ;)

I loved the von as a rover but even through my blinkered eyes no way was he anywhere as good as Platten.

Neither of the Jarman brothers?
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Spargo wrote:I heard the last bit of Blight & Cornes last night & they pretty much said it was more his favourite 25 rather than the definitive best.

If that's the case then I'm staggered McGuiness and Kernahan aren't in there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Tiger83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:I heard the last bit of Blight & Cornes last night & they pretty much said it was more his favourite 25 rather than the definitive best.

Probably left them out to seem impartial and not favoring Glenelg blokes.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:12 pm

If that’s the case we could all come up with a list of favourites.
Off the top of my head, Colin McVicar, Frank Stemper, John Baruzzi, Ian Wallace, Rex Voight, Johnny Schneebichler, Peter Vivian, Milan Faletic, Brenton Adcock, John Wynne and Gary Bracegirdle all get a mention.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Kevin Harris :-BD
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Corona Man wrote:

Off the top of my head, Colin McVicar, Frank Stemper, John Baruzzi, Ian Wallace, Rex Voight, Johnny Schneebichler, Peter Vivian, Milan Faletic, Brenton Adcock, John Wynne and Gary Bracegirdle all get a mention.

Good chocolates.
Magellan
Coach

Postby o five » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Atleast he is talking SANFL. :)
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm

o five wrote:Atleast he is talking SANFL. :)

True, although he's talking about it in the past tense, when it would be good if it were in the present.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Booney wrote:

Leaving Freddy out is no surprise.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Magellan wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Good chocolates.

Shit coffee
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Magellan wrote:

True, although he's talking about it in the past tense, when it would be good if it were in the present.

And another thread gets bent over and ******.

You blokes are hopeless.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Leaving Freddy out is no surprise.

I was about to say the same! :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby o five » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

And another thread gets bent over and ******.

You blokes are hopeless.

Geez, I was merely giving the man a compliment after some of the shit he cops on here and you type that crap. :roll:
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum