Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:31 pm

The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Seems like theres nothing much in the "incident" but he is still way past setting a professional standard judging by that footage.

And given Port player's recent records in that regard of course the media is going to be extra hot on it.

Deserves a week off for being an idiot

Agreed on all accounts, but geez he's still just a kid - footballer or not.. We have all been there, done some stupid things around that age and got stupid drunk.

agreed but unfortunately he will always be held to a higher standard than you or i due to his profession. which is probably right given they are seen as community role models
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Brodlach wrote:Any of us get paid $300k at his age though. Got to be smarter than that

Would he be getting 300k?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Any of us get paid $300k at his age though. Got to be smarter than that

Definitely. You need to remember they also get $4,500.00 per game on top of their actual contract so he'd easily be on $300k. I'd say closer to half a mil when you take into account his weekly match payments as well.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Definitely. You need to remember they also get $4,500.00 per game on top of their actual contract so he'd easily be on $300k. I'd say closer to half a mil when you take into account his weekly match payments as well.

Probably, he's in his second year which is the minimum for a new draftee so I'd think he'd be on a low base with match payments on top. He's extended his deal already so I'd say next year he'll certainly be over $300k.

$4500 on top of their contract? I don't think that's right mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Probably, he's in his second year which is the minimum for a new draftee so I'd think he'd be on a low base with match payments on top. He's extended his deal already so I'd say next year he'll certainly be over $300k.

$4500 on top of their contract? I don't think that's right mate.

It sure is. When they sign a contract, that figure does not include their actual match payment of $4,500.00 per game.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Would be in the 2nd year of his contract as a draftee, which would be about $70k + match payments.

As we stand, he is on nowhere near $300k.

I'd hazard a guess and say match payments would be about $3k.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:58 pm

[quote="valleys07"]Would be in the 2nd year of his contract as a draftee, which would be about $70k + match payments.

I'd hazard a guess and say match payments would be about $3k.[/quote]
Trust me on this fellas. It's $4,500.00
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:58 pm

valleys07 wrote:Would be in the 2nd year of his contract as a draftee, which would be about $70k + match payments.

I heard rookie listed players are minimum 80k now, surely he's on more than 70k base as a full listed player
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm

MW wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Would be in the 2nd year of his contract as a draftee, which would be about $70k + match payments.

I heard rookie listed players are minimum 80k now, surely he's on more than 70k base as a full listed player

Yeah he's on a shit load more than that. These port blokes have no idea.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

MW wrote:

I am probably thinking of contract sizes for draftees going back a couple of seasons.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
MW wrote:

Jacob Weitering earned just under $200k in his first year, which included base + $10k bonus from NAB as the first pick. He played 20 games for the season and would have got incentive payments on top of all of that for position in the B&F, NAB rising star etc.

BC's call of $4500 per game might be around the mark.

valleys07
Coach

Postby morell » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Different roles, jobs and professions have different expectations. If you're a lawyer or doctor you have strict rules on responsibility for people in your care. If you operate heavy machinery you have stricter inebriation guidelines. If you're a financial planner or banker you have ethical requirements.

Heck even in local government we have rules and guidelines that we have to adhere to in regards to financial delegation and care and control.

If you're an AFL footballer, you're unable to be heavily intoxicated in a public space. I understand that would be frustrating, if that outweighs the benefits of being an AFL footballer than those people would be free to make that career choice should they desire.

Zero. Sympathy.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Interesting stuff, none the less it's a lot of money for a 20yr old let alone anyone :lol:

Turning teenagers into rockstars overnight and filling their bank accounts.. dangerous stuff.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm

morell wrote:Different roles, jobs and professions have different expectations. If you're a lawyer or doctor you have strict rules on responsibility for people in your care. If you operate heavy machinery you have stricter inebriation guidelines. If you're a financial planner or banker you have ethical requirements.

Heck even in local government we have rules and guidelines that we have to adhere to in regards to financial delegation and care and control.

If you're an AFL footballer, you're unable to be heavily intoxicated in a public space. I understand that would be frustrating, if that outweighs the benefits of being an AFL footballer than those people would be free to make that career choice should they desire.

Zero. Sympathy.

You're comparing being a footballer to being a doctor or similar? How many years of education does a person need to go through at high school and university, then graduate programs etc before they actually reach their profession?

People are groomed their whole educational lives practically to be able to successfully transition into their careers - footballers start as an enjoyable hobby, something they're good at, and then before they've even finished high school they're thrown straight into the work force and the public eye.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
MW wrote:

Jacob Weitering earned just under $200k in his first year, which included base + $10k bonus from NAB as the first pick. He played 20 games for the season and would have got incentive payments on top of all of that for position in the B&F, NAB rising star etc.

It was $4k last year and gone up to $4.5k this year
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby mots02 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:Different roles, jobs and professions have different expectations. If you're a lawyer or doctor you have strict rules on responsibility for people in your care. If you operate heavy machinery you have stricter inebriation guidelines. If you're a financial planner or banker you have ethical requirements.

Zero. Sympathy.

You're comparing being a footballer to being a doctor or similar? How many years of education does a person need to go through at high school and university, then graduate programs etc before they actually reach their profession?

People are groomed their whole educational lives practically to be able to successfully transition into their careers - footballers start as an enjoyable hobby, something they're good at, and then before they've even finished high school they're thrown straight into the work force and the public eye.

Most AFL footballers are groomed for several years through talent programs at both State League Club and State Level - they are well aware of public expectation and certainly not thrown straight into the deep end.

Then when on a list they given the type education, support, mentoring and guidance that you and I could only dream of by our employer.

No sympathy from here either.
Last edited by mots02 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Also, if you're injured in a game, you're still paid the $4,500.00 match payment each week that you are out injured.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
MW wrote:

First round draftees get a $88,000 base plus match payments, which in 2017 was $3660.

He played 22 games x 3660 = $80,520 + 88,000 = $168,520 or thereabouts. It's unlikely any first year draftee would have got more than the $88k base, even if he did he would have had to have got a base of $220,000 in his first year. Not happening.

The new CBA has 2nd year players on a minimum of $100k so even if SPP was on the $100k + 21 games x $4500 = $194,000 in 2018. To think his base was increased, as a 2nd year player, from $88k to over $200k when we just recruited like we did is absurd. Not happening.

SPP is not on $300k this year. Simple.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 pm

This would have come with a pay rise though wouldn't it?

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -contracts

I doubt he's still on the base 2nd year player wage.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm

mots02 wrote:This would have come with a pay rise though wouldn't it?

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -contracts

I doubt he's still on the base 2nd year player wage.

Most definitely. He's easily on $300k plus
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL