Things that you rate!

Anything!

Re: Things that you rate!

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Just google it mate, using lies to promote the notion of removing black children to white family. Have a watch of Rabbit Proof Fence, very similar.

From my limited reading on the topic ( it's Sunrise after all ) I see the discussion was about removing vulnerable children from places where they were potentially being neglected ( keep in mind this happens to children of all races ), but no mention of killing people based on their race, genocide.

You need to investigate the fact they used to instigate the discussion to get a better understanding, even the ABC clearly showed how ridiculous these were which surprised (and encouraged) me.

I've had a look and a read and it seems Prue McSween made some very ordinary comments regarding the first stolen generation and what she proposes occur now and Armytage's crime, if you will, was firstly not pulling her ( McSween ) up on those comments and, secondly, incorrectly stating that indigenous children who were removed from places of neglect "couldn't be sent to white families" which is untrue.

Further reading shows it's a preference to rehouse indigenous children into homes of indigenous carer's where possible. I'd imagine Armytage would have had this information written up by some back of house intern, I doubt it was her homework, she's busy getting hair and make up done and not really doing anything journalistic.

So I can see Armytage erred in not pulling up McSween on her comments and she herself made an inaccurate comment, I don't see where she promoted genocide.

*Edit*

The complaints made to the Australian Communications and Media Authority specifically referred to the comments made by McSween.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

In my personal opinion, all the "protest" this morning achieved was to push more non-indigenous Australians over to the "redneck" side of the line.

Time/place for matters, and more importantly if you're trying to make a political statement, then make sure that's relayed properly - from what I can hear/see on this mornings incident, the group are trying to voice their complaints about various issues - Sunrise's segment about child custody a few weeks back, Sam Armytage's comments/behaviour over the years, protesting Land Rights and then going to genocide and deaths of Aboriginal people.

I'll go out on a limb, and say, that group does not represent the broader Aboriginal population - they have however made this "us v them" and the consequences will be affected by every single person of Aboriginal descent.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:43 pm

In terms of Land rights also, we are seeing increasingly more and more Native title claims around the country that are being determined, and increased input, participation and responsibility placed back on Aboriginal groups on their lands.

Sure it's a very long winded, complex and sometimes stupid process, but as A&TSI people, we have made significant inroads over the past 20+ years since the break through Mabo decision.

Yes, Native title claims get struck out.
Yes, there is still an ongoing battle to regain a lot of land.

However, from personal experience, it tends to be groups who are not properly prepared or educated on their history, and can be quite aggressive in nature that fall short when it comes to Native Title.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Just google it mate, using lies to promote the notion of removing black children to white family. Have a watch of Rabbit Proof Fence, very similar.

From my limited reading on the topic ( it's Sunrise after all ) I see the discussion was about removing vulnerable children from places where they were potentially being neglected ( keep in mind this happens to children of all races ), but no mention of killing people based on their race, genocide.

You need to investigate the fact they used to instigate the discussion to get a better understanding, even the ABC clearly showed how ridiculous these were which surprised (and encouraged) me.

I've had a look and a read and it seems Prue McSween made some very ordinary comments regarding the first stolen generation and what she proposes occur now and Armytage's crime, if you will, was firstly not pulling her ( McSween ) up on those comments and, secondly, incorrectly stating that indigenous children who were removed from places of neglect "couldn't be sent to white families" which is untrue.

Further reading shows it's a preference to rehouse indigenous children into homes of indigenous carer's where possible. I'd imagine Armytage would have had this information written up by some back of house intern, I doubt it was her homework, she's busy getting hair and make up done and not really doing anything journalistic.

So I can see Armytage erred in not pulling up McSween on her comments and she herself made an inaccurate comment, I don't see where she promoted genocide.

*Edit*

The complaints made to the Australian Communications and Media Authority specifically referred to the comments made by McSween.

I appreciate your post mate, it's probably hard for both of us to ascertain when each other are stirring the pot and being serious.
Prue McSween is Prue McSween. Guest pannelists are just pawns used to either promote discussion, stir the pot or shock people.
IMHO the major issue was the proven lies Sunrise used to initiate the discussion that the ABC and many others exposed. The fact no apology has been made since those lies were outed is maddening more than saddening and that's where most of the protest is IMHO.

Also I know it's no fault of Armytage but her family's past doesn't help matters.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

HH3 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Any streaming action of match HH3??

There should be. There was last time.

Usually a two camera, two commentator setup.

I'll post a link once it becomes available.

Just seen you can watch it via facebook.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Not bored or fishing and don't really appreciate you downplaying the subject by suggesting such.
Its quite pathetic and saddening that without due investigation you would downplay such a serious issue that is close the mine and others heart by degradinge and the issue suggesting I'm bored or fishing.
I don't have a problem if you don't care about the issue but I find your degree attitude quite saddening but probably all fair representation of a lot of people who some might describe as ignorant rednecks.

I certainly do care about the issue, from both sides of the fence (if you will).

It bothers me that both sides of the divide still use divisive and derogatory terms and create battle fields when I believe it's time for everyone to truly embrace reconciliation. Our shared past is our shared past, it's one littered with horrific events and it's something we all live with, some obviously more than others, continuing to look backwards instead of forwards will see us in a state of conflict forever. Who wants that?

It saddens me that people don't care about the issue but I appreciate your honesty.
True reconciliation won't ever happen until things change majorly.
Unfortunately it might not happen until well after we move on if ever, that saddens me a lot.

What, in your view, would be "true reconciliation".

I would be interested in your thoughts on this too Wedgie
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jase » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Yo @wedgie, I don't want to add to your plethora of discussions but I'm interested in your thoughts with regards to non indigenous people being able to foster indigenous kids, after the relevant training.

Be it emergency, short term, respite or long term fostering?

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Jase wrote:Yo @wedgie, I don't want to add to your plethora of discussions but I'm interested in your thoughts with regards to non indigenous people being able to foster indigenous kids, after the relevant training.

Be it emergency, short term, respite or long term fostering?

Irrelevent to any discussion I was having.
But my personal views would be the same as the government's current policy which is completely different to what Sunrise said the governments current policy was which was the issue.

In my opinion though "relevent training" isn't a thing.
It doesn't matter how much training anyone receives IMHO.
My Dad's adopted parents couldn't have been better trained when he was stolen out of his caring mothers arms, taken away from his state and family for no reason but for the fact he was indigenous . It didn't help.
Thats a completely different issue though.

PS Sorry Booney and Broadlach, went to send you guys a massive pm about my thoughts on your question but it got lost.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 pm

I didn't say it was relevant, just I didn't want to add to your discussions... ie. Not overload you.. Any way...

In your opinion should non-indigenous people be able to foster indigenous children... These aren't kids that are taken just because of their culture but because they are abused or neglected.

If kinship care or any indigenous foster carers are available is it OK for non-indigenous people to foster?

I am probably reading this very wrong but we seem totally against this?

Not wanting to cause any offence just interested...

Jase
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Jase wrote:I didn't say it was relevant, just I didn't want to add to your discussions... ie. Not overload you.. Any way...

In your opinion should non-indigenous people be able to foster indigenous children... These aren't kids that are taken just because of their culture but because they are abused or neglected.

If kinship care or any indigenous foster carers are available is it OK for non-indigenous people to foster?

I am probably reading this very wrong but we seem totally against this?

Not wanting to cause any offence just interested...

Sorry, I thought I made it quite clear my opinion is the same as the government's current policy.
Check out a few of the reactions to Sunrise's original segment and it might help you understand my point, it wont help some though.

Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 am

I actually agree with what the protest was about. Sunrise should have had someone of indigenous background to also comment on the issue. Luke Bona from the night shift at triple m often does the segment on Sunrise, he should have been on that morning as a minimum.
I don't agree with the way the protest went though & to rate it a good thing is wrong & only sets the reconciliation cause back IMO.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 am

From the "So, how's this weather?" thread, I mentioned how the smoke smell in the house last night reminded me of the card's nights Mum and Dad used to have in the early 80's when smoking inside wasn't viewed as it is now.

The memories flooded back.

The green laminex kitchen table would get moved into the lounge room, a blanket that only ever came out of the linen press for cards nights covered the table and an ashtray would plonk in front of Dad's spot, pack of Winnie Reds and matches next to it. Dad would have gone to the bank that day and got $20 or so worth of 5c and 10c pieces, sometimes they'd have 2c pieces as well if more than 6 people came.

Dad would knock off a bottle of St Agnes Brandy to 1lt of dry, usually Loy's from the old glass bottle, Uncle Russell would smash a dozen or more Southwark's and Mum and Aunty Alma would knock up some cockles with fresh jam.

If we had extra guests the old Sebel outdoor chairs would make their way into the lounge room, never on any other occasion than that. The kids were banished from the lounge to either your bedroom or into our shed with the pool table. The lounge was for the grown ups.

The 80's.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 am

Booney wrote:From the "So, how's this weather?" thread, I mentioned how the smoke smell in the house last night reminded me of the card's nights Mum and Dad used to have in the early 80's when smoking inside wasn't viewed as it is now.

The memories flooded back.

The green laminex kitchen table would get moved into the lounge room, a blanket that only ever came out of the linen press for cards nights covered the table and an ashtray would plonk in front of Dad's spot, pack of Winnie Reds and matches next to it. Dad would have gone to the bank that day and got $20 or so worth of 5c and 10c pieces, sometimes they'd have 2c pieces as well if more than 6 people came.

Dad would knock off a bottle of St Agnes Brandy to 1lt of dry, usually Loy's from the old glass bottle, Uncle Russell would smash a dozen or more Southwark's and Mum and Aunty Alma would knock up some cockles with fresh jam.

If we had extra guests the old Sebel outdoor chairs would make their way into the lounge room, never on any other occasion than that. The kids were banished from the lounge to either your bedroom or into our shed with the pool table. The lounge was for the grown ups.

The 80's.

Amazing how little things bring them back.
To this day whenever I smell cheese and kabana at the same time, it brings me back to 80's also.
My Dad and uncle would sit in our rumpus room every Saturday, listening to Westies on the radio and drinking west end or southwark poured into a glass from longnecks, while mum would deliver a platter of cheese and kabana for them to nibble on.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

We had a neighbour, Dennis, who drove an orange 180B with tan vinyl roof and sold Amway on the side from his job at the dole office at Mile End.

Whenever Datsun, Avon or the dole gets mentioned I can't help but smile and think of how the old man used to swear and curse every time the 180B would pull up out the front "******* Dennis is here, there goes the next 4 bloody hours".

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Dad would knock off a bottle of St Agnes Brandy to 1lt of dry, usually Loy's from the old glass bottle,

Brandy - With my MIL's passing recently it is a Greek tradition that families bring over Brandy to drink as part of the grieving process, anyway the FIL ended up with 30+ bottles, we now have 5 of them after I commented I hadn't had a Brandy and coke for 20 years, its actually not that bad!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dad would knock off a bottle of St Agnes Brandy to 1lt of dry, usually Loy's from the old glass bottle,

Brandy - With my MIL's passing recently it is a Greek tradition that families bring over Brandy to drink as part of the grieving process, anyway the FIL ended up with 30+ bottles, we now have 5 of them after I commented I hadn't had a Brandy and coke for 20 years, its actually not that bad!

Black Bottle Brandy is quite nice. Not a fan of St Agnes though.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Black Bottle Brandy is quite nice. Not a fan of St Agnes though.

My only memory of St. Agnes is a mate winning a bottle in a raffle back at the HVFC, and about 4 of us ignoring liquor licencing laws and finishing the lot to drown our sorrows after our A grade lost the GF that day by 104 points.

Yep, carry on..

:lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Grenville » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Finishing up at work until after ANZAC Day, and off to Port Vincent Monday with the family for a few days.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Jase » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

The start of school holidays at the end of tomorrow... I ha e to be back in at school for the first week, but school is the best place to work when there are no kids or teachers about...

The second week we are off to the Flinders with some families who we work with.

It will be the first time that our Foster girls have been on any sort of holiday at all...

They didn't even understand the concept of Easter in any sort of fashion...

Looking forward to the camping but not sure about the 5 hour drive up there. The girls go stupid in the car driving 25 minutes up to Gawler from Golden Grove.... Pray for me :)

Jase
League - Best 21

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:11 am

Jase wrote:The start of school holidays at the end of tomorrow... I ha e to be back in at school for the first week, but school is the best place to work when there are no kids or teachers about...

The second week we are off to the Flinders with some families who we work with.

It will be the first time that our Foster girls have been on any sort of holiday at all...

They didn't even understand the concept of Easter in any sort of fashion...

Looking forward to the camping but not sure about the 5 hour drive up there. The girls go stupid in the car driving 25 minutes up to Gawler from Golden Grove.... Pray for me :)

Car games! I spy, punch buggy, the licence plate game (make words out of the last 3 letters of a number plate), scavenger hunt (give the girls a different list of things you might find on the road and the first one to cross all the stuff of their list is the winner)

It is possible to keep kids occupied without electronics now days.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion