4%
Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:58 pm

BFG wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:
Under_Scrutiny wrote:Any games being played this weekend?

The Lions making the trek out to Houghton should be a good one. Put the shorts and thongs from last week away and bring a brolly maybe.

Now is the time of year you want to play at Houghton though. Playing there in R18 when the oval gets boggy and the blokes in the pocket hang sh*t on you for 2 hours is even less fun than it sounds.

Played agaisnt Houghton in rd18 2007. From memory the creek was there and had a bit of water flowing through it. It was around the time the pedofile preists were brought to public eye of the 80s from Blackfriars so you could imagine the comments flying about from faithful in pockets :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Those three were longer than 20 years ago.
More like 25 years for Westfields (didn't Blakeview have something to do with them ending?). I can't even remember an Elizabeth North, so that must have been a bloody long time ago. And Blakeview was in 1994, IIRC, not long after Mile End (an infamous pairing).

Blakeview had stuff all to do with Westfields folding, Westfields were always in A2 of the CDFA and after Smithfield hosted a 10 hour local band tribute for a local musician that died pretty much all of the WFC played at Smithifeld, this included the Moss brothers, Capasso, Youngy and a heap of others.

Blakeview formed from a few breakaway Smithfield players, Leigh Baker was the inaugural chairman at 17 or 18 years of age.

Elizabeth North Saints used to use Dauntsey Oval, they last had an under 14 team in 1988, it was their only remaining side.

Yeah, looking at the dates in that link provided earlier, I realised Blakeview couldn't have had anything to do with Westfields.
I knew there had been a transfer of players from somewhere to Blakeview - makes sense there was a Smithfield element.
My uncle played at Westies as a kid.
Was the musician the Chisel/Swanee roadie who died in a truck crash (I've heard about that - as he was my uncle's best mate growing up)?
Also, the Fraser brothers, Rob and Andy, were Westfields lads, from memory.

Interesting that there was still an under 14 Elizabeth North side so long after the rest of the club had folded.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Those three were longer than 20 years ago.
More like 25 years for Westfields (didn't Blakeview have something to do with them ending?). I can't even remember an Elizabeth North, so that must have been a bloody long time ago. And Blakeview was in 1994, IIRC, not long after Mile End (an infamous pairing).

Blakeview had stuff all to do with Westfields folding, Westfields were always in A2 of the CDFA and after Smithfield hosted a 10 hour local band tribute for a local musician that died pretty much all of the WFC played at Smithifeld, this included the Moss brothers, Capasso, Youngy and a heap of others.

Blakeview formed from a few breakaway Smithfield players, Leigh Baker was the inaugural chairman at 17 or 18 years of age.

Elizabeth North Saints used to use Dauntsey Oval, they last had an under 14 team in 1988, it was their only remaining side.

Yeah, looking at the dates in that link provided earlier, I realised Blakeview couldn't have had anything to do with Westfields.
I knew there had been a transfer of players from somewhere to Blakeview - makes sense there was a Smithfield element.
My uncle played at Westies as a kid.
Was the musician the Chisel/Swanee roadie who died in a truck crash (I've heard about that - as he was my uncle's best mate growing up)?
Also, the Fraser brothers, Rob and Andy, were Westfields lads, from memory.

Interesting that there was still an under 14 Elizabeth North side so long after the rest of the club had folded.

Ken Witt I think the man's name was, I've killed a shitload of brain cells since then so I wouldn't quote me on it.

I think the Elizabeth North dates are incorrect.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Homer J » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I played at Elizabeth North in 83 and 84 at Dauntsey Oval, is still carried on a few year later I believe.
The Rowland Bros, Brett and Ken Ainsbury, Peter Cordes, Stephan Lind are afew of the players I remember. Hodges was the coach I think at the time.
This was still in the CDFA.
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby marbles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Played against a club called postal institute in the late 70s
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby coman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Homer J wrote:I played at Elizabeth North in 83 and 84 at Dauntsey Oval, is still carried on a few year later I believe.
The Rowland Bros, Brett and Ken Ainsbury, Peter Cordes, Stephan Lind are afew of the players I remember. Hodges was the coach I think at the time.

I reckon they folded just after that,they tryed merging with Blakeview and were going to be called rosewood crows,that soon went pair shaped so eliz-north folded.
Kym hodges was the last coach i belive,i was the water boy for years out there,i remember a bloke named neil Oxford,gee he was a big crazy man.
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Executive Member » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:56 pm

coman wrote:
Homer J wrote:I played at Elizabeth North in 83 and 84 at Dauntsey Oval, is still carried on a few year later I believe.

I reckon they folded just after that,they tryed merging with Blakeview and were going to be called rosewood crows,that soon went pair shaped so eliz-north folded.
Kym hodges was the last coach i belive,i was the water boy for years out there,i remember a bloke named neil Oxford,gee he was a big crazy man.

Blakeview's last year was 1993 as I think Slippery Wilson kicked 21 against them as The Lodge clocked up around 60 for the day
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Elizabeth gained the Watts brothers and Adrian DeMarie after Blakeview folded.
IIRC, Adrian Watts was the player infamously stabbed with a pair of trainers' scissors in a stoush against Mile End. Mile End were done for not long after, I think.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby adr107 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:ROUND 2
Flinders Uni vs TTG
Golden Grove vs Marion
Houghton vs OSB Lonsdale
Mitchell Park vs St. Pauls
Central United vs Mawson Lakes

This round is sponsored by OTR as the Units will have entertained the Lakes entourage and completed their best player awards before any other visiting team make it back to their own club.

The game at Houghton Memorial Oval looms to be a cracker, OSB couldn't ask for a better litmus test coming into the AdFL than to host the tough Units first up and then the trek out to visit the mountain men who will be as tough as nails too.

With no solid reason or nous of the competition yet I'll tip OSB by 15 points after their opening round form and it's hard to gauge where Houghton are as St. Pauls have been one of the most inconsistent teams in lower grades over the past few years, in saying that, the Bumblebee's should account for the Marcelina's by 11 goals.

Marion and TTG to get the biscuits by 75 & 90 points respectively.

TTG by 100+ and change
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Boosh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
coman wrote:
Boosh wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Yeah but the whole club didn't fold.

Wingies folded off season . Ovingham was bloody forever ago.

Hasn't been that many fold over the last 20 years considering an apparent decline in in numbers playing local football.

This is all I can recall.

Burnside
Ovies
North Pines??
Kaurna
Paralowie

Westfields
Elizabeth north
Blakeview

Those are longer than 20 years now, all folded in CDFA era
Elizabeth North folded in the 60s
Westfields folded between 1989-90
Blakeview early 90s

Other notables just over 20 years are Ferryden Park & Campbelltown-Magill

LGIL exactly, when I said 20 years I surprisingly meant 20 years, listing all the clubs that folded prior is just illustrating my point that clubs have always been folding.

Ferryden Park would be about 25 years ago though.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Boosh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Pag wrote:
Pag wrote:Burnside-Kensington went down early 00s?

End of 2001 season

I remember that copped they some absolute hidings in D6 that year. I ran the boundary down there for a 50-goal drubbing.

I played them at that ground I reckon 1999 - FC might remember Wayne Wertiko and Jamie Twaddle getting sent off.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby lion heart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:03 pm

oldman wrote:Surely your not still going on about how much game time someone gets? Really who cares? Let's talk some of the interesting results on the weekend. Marion flogging their neighbour, the possible gf preview of OSB and CU. This weekend should answer further questions about who's a live chance to push for a top 3 spot with the mossies hosting CU and OSB needing a charter plane to play the mountain men. No doubt this week will shape the season already.

:lol: Not a charter plane but possibly a bus :D
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Courtney Fish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm

BFG wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:
Under_Scrutiny wrote:Any games being played this weekend?

The Lions making the trek out to Houghton should be a good one. Put the shorts and thongs from last week away and bring a brolly maybe.

Now is the time of year you want to play at Houghton though. Playing there in R18 when the oval gets boggy and the blokes in the pocket hang sh*t on you for 2 hours is even less fun than it sounds.

Whatever time of year it is the forecast for Saturday up there is 17, windy with up to 25 ml of rain. Do they sell Port up there?
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:Whatever time of year it is the forecast for Saturday up there is 17, windy with up to 25 ml of rain. Do they sell Port up there?

I can assure you, the Houghton BBQ and Bar I rate amongst the best in these divisions!

Sell port, but they also sell a nice drop of the local red for $25 a bottle, and they have an extensive range of craft beers available to sample.

Houghton are also very welcoming and hospitable - makes up for their shit house away change rooms.

Last season don't think we left until the sun was down and the bonfire lit, and half our A grade still didn't want to leave - no phone reception to get hassled, so much serenity, and good drinks to take in.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Boosh wrote:
Pag wrote:
Pag wrote:Burnside-Kensington went down early 00s?

End of 2001 season

I remember that copped they some absolute hidings in D6 that year. I ran the boundary down there for a 50-goal drubbing.

I played them at that ground I reckon 1999 - FC might remember Wayne Wertiko and Jamie Twaddle getting sent off.

haha, YES! the only time in over 20 years I've ever seen a runner get carded :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby marbles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:Whatever time of year it is the forecast for Saturday up there is 17, windy with up to 25 ml of rain. Do they sell Port up there?

I can assure you, the Houghton BBQ and Bar I rate amongst the best in these divisions!

Sell port, but they also sell a nice drop of the local red for $25 a bottle, and they have an extensive range of craft beers available to sample.

Houghton are also very welcoming and hospitable - makes up for their shit house away change rooms.

Last season don't think we left until the sun was down and the bonfire lit, and half our A grade still didn't want to leave - no phone reception to get hassled, so much serenity, and good drinks to take in.

And i believe i might be wrong, theyre chocolate doughnuts come from the Inglewood bakery =P~ =P~ :X
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Pag » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am

marbles wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

And i believe i might be wrong, theyre chocolate doughnuts come from the Inglewood bakery =P~ =P~ :X

They do, and they are quality.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am

Great memories of playing at Houghton
I played against both Para Houghton & Banksia Park OS
One game, the creek was in full flow and you had to jump it. One bloke slipped and fell in. The farmer let his chooks out on the oval at 3/4 time
Another game, the fog was so bad, you could only see 20m in front. I was playing CHB and you would just wait for the footy to appear out of the fog. It was a very funny day and both sides enjoyed beers and laughs together after the game
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Executive Member » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Great memories of playing at Houghton
I played against both Para Houghton & Banksia Park OS
One game, the creek was in full flow and you had to jump it. One bloke slipped and fell in. The farmer let his chooks out on the oval at 3/4 time
Another game, the fog was so bad, you could only see 20m in front. I was playing CHB and you would just wait for the footy to appear out of the fog. It was a very funny day and both sides enjoyed beers and laughs together after the game

you are OLD
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Brett Rowland my favourite cricket coach of all time

What ground did Blakeview play at

What guernseys did they wear.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League