The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 am

morell wrote:
am Bays wrote:
morell wrote:Because that would foster a more supportive workplace that appreciates it's employees and ensure high morale. Which in turn would provide a higher functioning worker, which would in turn improve service levels.

Guess what? You pay for the workers *wages* too.

Gasp! Shock! Horror!

In making that statement Morell, I'm sure you've got a statistical listing of the number of Onkaparinga employees the CEO took for a round at Kooyonga, with a filter applied for designation, whilst it was council paid membership (I understand it has since been paid for by the CEO privately).

I wonder if the junior in accounts or parking services got an opportunity, for a bit of informal PRD and team building....
See this is the actual problem. A lack of understanding what his role is.

He's not playing golf with Onkaparinga people, he's playing golf with other corporate stakeholders. Maybe the state manager for their asphalt contract? Maybe the minister for X and Y? Maybe with a business person in the district looking for support for a grant?

I actually think it's a good thing that he is out and about pressing the flesh representing Local Government at that sort of level. Heck, I'd suggest it's an expectation.

We're talking three grand. It's so inconsequential in the scheme of things. It would take one successful business meeting or discussion through that medium for it to pay for itself. You guys imagine a round of golf with your mates, I imagine a 4 hour business development meeting outside.

It's akin to having a coffee card or discretionary budget for catering. It's part of doing business.

Ah so when you say it's building morale, it's his morale, and he's being appreciated not his team.

Funny about that I thought his six figure salary that starts with a 3 would help his morale and service levels.

BTW who's taking minutes/notes and any relevant follow up actions/agreements of this four hour business development meeting?

Transparency of public money and all that, value for the Onkas taxpayer
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

am Bays wrote:
morell wrote:
am Bays wrote:
morell wrote:Because that would foster a more supportive workplace that appreciates it's employees and ensure high morale. Which in turn would provide a higher functioning worker, which would in turn improve service levels.

Guess what? You pay for the workers *wages* too.

Gasp! Shock! Horror!

In making that statement Morell, I'm sure you've got a statistical listing of the number of Onkaparinga employees the CEO took for a round at Kooyonga, with a filter applied for designation, whilst it was council paid membership (I understand it has since been paid for by the CEO privately).

I wonder if the junior in accounts or parking services got an opportunity, for a bit of informal PRD and team building....
See this is the actual problem. A lack of understanding what his role is.

He's not playing golf with Onkaparinga people, he's playing golf with other corporate stakeholders. Maybe the state manager for their asphalt contract? Maybe the minister for X and Y? Maybe with a business person in the district looking for support for a grant?

I actually think it's a good thing that he is out and about pressing the flesh representing Local Government at that sort of level. Heck, I'd suggest it's an expectation.

We're talking three grand. It's so inconsequential in the scheme of things. It would take one successful business meeting or discussion through that medium for it to pay for itself. You guys imagine a round of golf with your mates, I imagine a 4 hour business development meeting outside.

It's akin to having a coffee card or discretionary budget for catering. It's part of doing business.

Ah so when you say it's building morale, it's his morale, and he's being appreciated not his team.

Funny about that I thought his six figure salary that starts with a 3 would help his morale and service levels.

BTW who's taking minutes/notes and any relevant follow up actions/agreements of this four hour business development meeting?

Transparency of public money and all that, value for the Onkas taxpayer
You're confusing the flowers (for morale) with the golf membership (business development). There was a out of budget flowers expenditure that was highlighted in the beat up. It was because a staff member got cancer. I think that's a forgivable expenditure to ask rate payers to chip in an extra 0.000006c for.

I would hope he would. I'd expect a documented agenda and report to be included as part of his monthly CEO briefing sessions with the elected body.

But this is all moot. We're pissing about with the individual tree whilst the forest is on fire. Drilling down on perceived superfluous expenditure like flowers and golf will make not one iota of a difference for your average rate payer.

Multi million dollar infrastructure projects is where the savings are.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am

morell wrote:
You're confusing the flowers (for morale) with the golf membership (business development). There was a out of budget flowers expenditure that was highlighted in the beat up. It was because a staff member got cancer. I think that's a forgivable expenditure to ask rate payers to chip in an extra 0.000006c for.

I would hope he would. I'd expect a documented agenda and report to be included as part of his monthly CEO briefing sessions with the elected body.

But this is all moot. We're pissing about with the individual tree whilst the forest is on fire. Drilling down on perceived superfluous expenditure like flowers and golf will make not one iota of a difference for your average rate payer.

Multi million dollar infrastructure projects is where the savings are.

if it's golf for Chinese investors, how about a round at Royal Willunga (better than 50% chance you'll see some native wildlife too like a Koala) Onkaparinga council subsidised course so he'd get on for nothing, then he could follow it up with a feed at the Alma can feed four there for $100 tops or if you want to really splash out $200. if he wanted to get real fancy take them to the Victory, or Woodstock winery, or D'Arenburg or Hugh hamilton wines and really impress them with some Onkaparinga flavoured hospitality rather than "West Torrens" flavoured hospitality...

By using local hospitality business engagement resources you also have the positive of supporting local business.

PS if Willunga not an option try Thaxted Park R&A.
By all means Morell business engagement at the CEO level is important but it needs to be done smart and transparently.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:You think it’s ok for ratepayers to pay for a golf membership?!?!?

For the CEO?

Sure. Provided it's used appropriately and there is a defined outcome.

Would a "defined outcome" be a bloke on $328,000 getting free membership at a golf club outside of his council paid for by rate payers?

if it's golf for Chinese investors, how about a round at Royal Willunga (better than 50% chance you'll see some native wildlife too like a Koala) Onkaparinga council subsidised course so he'd get on for nothing, then he could follow it up with a feed at the Alma can feed four there for $100 tops or if you want to really splash out $200. if he wanted to get real fancy take them to the Victory, or Woodstock winery, or D'Arenburg or Hugh hamilton wines and really impress them with some Onkaparinga flavoured hospitality rather than "West Torrens" flavoured hospitality...

By using local hospitality business engagement resources you also have the positive of supporting local business.

PS if Willunga not an option try Thaxted Park R&A.
By all means Morell business engagement at the CEO level is important but it needs to be done smart and transparently.

Yes it is, i just quickly read a few case studies he reported. Seems as though he was trying to foster a relationship with Chinese investors for wine exports from McLaren Vale.

I do agree that I think he should've used a local golf course. But that's kind of splitting hairs and really not worth the hysteria in the media.

And I agree, it should be transparent. It was documented, reported, justified ... really is nothing to see here other than a CEO who is seemingly doing his job.

He also paid it back, by the way.

As an aside I know Mark. Not well, but we move in the occasional similar circle. On face value he's a really good bloke. Volunteers his time a lot and has been a mentor for a lot of people.
morell
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm

This is not his job. He has no place and indeed no ability for "fostering" wine exports.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 pm

DOC wrote:This is not his job. He has no place and indeed no ability for "fostering" wine exports.

Yes. It is.

Economic development is now a very large part of Local Government service provision.

Refer to my post above and point 1.
morell
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm

The "fostering" of wine exports is an involved process with many players, including two tiers of government and a regulated industry approval process.

Councils role is to deliver timely and adequate services that enable any particular business to function.

His golf membership etc is small potatoes in the scheme of things but his justification of it fails the pub test.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Agreed with all of that.

He wouldn't be there talking up the oaky tannins in the new roset, but would be communicating what the infrastructure requirements might be, what some of the services that could contribute might be etc.

Agree that it didn't pass the pub test. Don't agree that we as a society should lean on said test to justify or condemn organisation activities
morell
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:You think it’s ok for ratepayers to pay for a golf membership?!?!?

For the CEO?

Sure. Provided it's used appropriately and there is a defined outcome.

Would a "defined outcome" be a bloke on $328,000 getting free membership at a golf club outside of his council paid for by rate payers?

Exactly. If it was a golf course situated in the Onkaparinga Council zone then ok.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm

morell wrote:Agreed with all of that.

He wouldn't be there talking up the oaky tannins in the new roset, but would be communicating what the infrastructure requirements might be, what some of the services that could contribute might be etc.

Agree that it didn't pass the pub test. Don't agree that we as a society should lean on said test to justify or condemn organisation activities

When services typically provided by councils are of a standard most of us expect them to be then take some cream off the top and enjoy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:

When services typically provided by councils are of a standard most of us expect them to be then take some cream off the top and enjoy.
It's not cream, it's work.

As someone that has been in business development roles, it is most definitely work, no matter the setting.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm

morell wrote:
Booney wrote:

As someone that has been in business development roles, it is most definitely work, no matter the setting.

Taking people golfing to develop relationships is work, getting a year round membership at rate payers expense is cream, thus the fall out and the CEO paying it back. Simple.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

morell wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Hopefully the Apple watch the ratepayers paid for is helping the CEO keep time. Who could seriously say that particular Council hasn't been taking the ratepayers for a ride, a Council area that includes some suburbs where putting a meal on the table is problematic. It's disgusting.
lol calm down Maude Flanders.

"Disgusting"? Really? Do you know what Apple Watches do? It's a corporate tool, I'd suspect it would be integrated with his emails and calendar. At the CEO level time is incredibly valuable - all it would take is one meeting notification that vibrated on his wrist and it would've paid for itself.

You know what is banned at Kooyonga? Mobile phones on course, the apple watch allows him to communicate with the word while he plays golf! :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
Booney wrote:

Taking people golfing to develop relationships is work, getting a year round membership at rate payers expense is cream, thus the fall out and the CEO paying it back. Simple.

Would assume it was a regular thing and it ended up cheaper to just get a membership.

But who cares!!!! It's a nothing story.

Go through the Onka Annual Business plan with me and I'll find you $10M in projects that could wait or be cancelled to save rates. It's $3k. $3k!!
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Deliver the transformation of Council's technology platforms to enhance our customers experience with us and enable more efficient and effective processes.

How much for that do you reckon...?
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 pm

morell wrote:Deliver the transformation of Council's technology platforms to enhance our customers experience with us and enable more efficient and effective processes.

How much for that do you reckon...?

What's an apple watch worth?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 pm

A lot less than that project.

About $500 I think?

That project?

$4,800,000.00

Yeah. But let's get all Today Tonight on people over $3k golf membership and flowers for cancer patients.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm

$7000 membership, I thought you'd be across facts like that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Jesus Christ *facepalm*
morell
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:36 pm

morell wrote:A lot less than that project.

About $500 I think?

That project?

$4,800,000.00

Yeah. But let's get all Today Tonight on people over $3k golf membership and flowers for cancer patients.

But that includes 10 x complimentary rounds at Royal Thaxted for the geeks designing the software to verify if the councils internet and intranet can be reached on both apple and android devices whilst on a gold course....
am Bays
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics