NBA

Re: NBA

Postby Grahaml » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 pm

beef wrote:Cavs making big moves on the trade deadline
Thomas Frye Shumpert Wade Crowder Rose Gone
Clarkson Nance Hood Hill In
Don't think they are any better for this season.

Cavs are definitely a better team. Had too many players who were poor defenders and limited shooters. Don't need many guys who can isolate and work into the lane and when you have LeBron James, you aren't going to get anyone better at it. Thomas didn't fit, Rose was always going to be worth more as a trade piece, Wade was a luxury and the others were minor pieces. Nance and Hill should add a lot and Hood will be very useful.

Trouble for Cleveland was they were falling away, not coming together. Even if this new mix doesn't win it you're much better off trying something new than sticking with something that was almost certain to fail.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Ben Simmons with his tenth double triple and he did it with 2 minutes to spare in the third quarter!
Philly on a roll, up to 4th in the East and have clinched a playoff spot, a far cry from bottom last hear!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 am

It's Playoffs time.

THE WEST

(1) Rockets vs. (8) Timberwolves
The Rockets begin their quest to unseat the Warriors with a first-round matchup that they should breeze through. Houston swept four games against the Timberwolves this season, and won three of them by 18 points. Minnesota needed a last-day, overtime win against the Nuggets to earn a spot in the playoffs, and despite the talent on the Timberwolves roster, they can’t shoot enough to keep up with Houston and certainly don’t play the kind of defense that can slow the Rockets. In their four matchups, the Rockets made 69 3-pointers, and the Timberwolves made just 34.

No matter which way the Nuggets-Timberwolves game turned out on Wednesday, the Rockets were going to get the worst defensive team in the West playoffs. The Timberwolves have allowed 108.4 points per 100 possessions, 23rd in the league and smack in the neighborhood of such defensive juggernauts as the Grizzlies and Knicks. This is surely an endless frustration for coach Tom Thibodeau, pioneer of many of the defensive schemes that are prevalent in today’s NBA, but it should make for easy pickings for Houston.

(2) Warriors vs. (7) Spurs
The Warriors will be without Stephen Curry, who is recovering after knee surgery, and that’s an obvious blow to their offense. But the Spurs have bigger problems, having been without Kawhi Leonard for the bulk of the year as he has pulled himself from the floor with a mysterious quadriceps injury. LaMarcus Aldridge has been outstanding in his absence, but the Spurs just don’t have a lot of options beyond him. Golden State is much better set up to handle the absence of Curry than the Spurs are to handle the absence of Leonard. It is remarkable, in fact, that a team so awkwardly patched together as the Spurs — with 24 different starting lineups — could have won 47 games. That’s a testament to coach Gregg Popovich, who will face one of his proteges, Steve Kerr, in this series.

In their last 10 games of the season, the Warriors’ defence unraveled, allowing 109.9 points per 100 possessions, which ranked 28th in the league in that span. Granted, the Warriors were not always putting forth their best players in the final games, but it’s part of a disturbing trend for Kerr’s team — the Warriors dropped to ninth in the NBA in defensive efficiency this season, and were 14th after the All-Star break. The Warriors had been in the top four in defensive efficiency for the previous four seasons.

(3) Trail Blazers vs. (6) Pelicans
Both the Trail Blazers and Pelicans had important games for seeding purposes on the final night of the season, and both came up with important wins. Now, though, the pressure is on the Blazers, who rolled through much of the second half of their schedule, including a 13-game winning streak, before petering out inexplicably in the final month. Portland was just 5-7 to close the year, and with the Blazers expecting to make progress this season — that means at least a trip to the second round of the postseason — this series is a must-win. The Pelicans come in with five straight wins, and a playoff berth that may have saved the job of coach Alvin Gentry.

The Trail Blazers are not a great 3-point shooting team, nor are they great at defending the 3-point line. But 12 is a key number for them. When they have made at least 12 3-pointers, Portland has gone 18-5 this year. When they have allowed opponents to make at least 12, Portland has gone 8-14.

(4) Thunder vs. (5) Jazz
The final day of the season probably could not have worked out worse for the Jazz, who were in line for the No. 3 seed if they could have beaten Portland on Wednesday night. That would have meant home-court advantage — Utah is one of the toughest places to play in the league — and a softer matchup against the Pelicans. Instead, they get the biggest wildcard team in the playoffs, and will have to begin on the road. For Oklahoma City, much is at stake. They pulled together the trio of Russell Westbrook, Paul George and Carmelo Anthony this summer in hopes of creating a "super team" but they mostly got a "decent team." But there has been a feeling all along that, with the way the schedule is spaced in the playoffs and with the star power that the Thunder have, Oklahoma City could be a team more suited to the playoffs than the regular season.

It’s amazing what a difference one player can make to a team defence. Go back to Jan. 17, when the Thunder had played most of the season with their defensive ace, Andre Roberson, in the lineup. They ranked third in defensive efficiency at 102.4 points per 100 possessions. The Jazz, meanwhile, were without Rudy Gobert for much of that time, and their defense was mediocre: a defensive rating of 105.2, 14th in the league. But Roberson went out with knee surgery, and from Jan. 18th on, the Thunder had a defensive rating of 107.3, which is 16th in the league. The Jazz got Gobert back, and since that date, their defensive rating has been 97.5, by far the best in the league.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bertiebeatle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 am

Rockets in 4 (Although i hope the T-Wolves get a game or two off them)
Warriors in 6. If they got any other match-up i think they were a chance to get rolled without Curry but just can't see the Spurs beating them over 7 games
Portland in 5. Pelicans have been a little disappointing for me this season, expected them to get a top 3 seed
Jazz in 6. Thunder will catch fire in a couple of games but as mentioned above, their defence is a bit of liability at the moment & hoping Aussie Joe can have a great playoffs performance
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am

THE EAST

(1) Raptors vs. (8) Wizards
The Raptors are a team looking to exorcise their postseason demons, and it was with that goal in mind that the team overhauled its offense and bench in the offseason, hoping that a ball-sharing system would lend itself to more playoff success. It worked, big-time, in the regular season, as Toronto set a franchise record for wins. But this was always about the playoffs, and if the Raptors can’t carry over this success, all these changes will have been for naught. Maybe it’s good, then, that they open with a significant challenge in the first round: playing the Wizards, a team that just got star guard John Wall back two weeks ago, and is far better than their No. 8 seeding indicates. If it is time for the Raps to banish some demons, then this is a good start. The Wizards swept Toronto out of the postseason two years ago.

19.5. That’s the percentage of plays the Raptors have run in pick-and-roll this season, and it is the sixth-most in the NBA. Yet, it represents a drastic and important reduction in the team’s reliance on the play — all the talk about Toronto revamping the offense basically comes down to cutting back on pick-and-rolls. Last year, the Raptors went to the PNR 24.2 percent of the time, and got 24.5 points per game from the play. The problem was, in the playoffs, teams could key on the play and force Toronto out of it. They ran PNR only 19.2 percent of the time last postseason, and the 24.5 points they got in the regular season plummeted to 16.7 points in the playoffs.

(2) Celtics vs. (7) Bucks
This is not where either of these two teams thought they’d be when the season opened back in October. The Celtics figured they had a legitimate chance at a championship, riding the high of the Gordon Hayward signing and the Kyrie Irving trade the previous summer. The Bucks, meanwhile, were planning to ride star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo to a big improvement on last season’s 42-win team. Instead, the Celtics saw Hayward go down with a broken ankle and lost Irving just ahead of the start of the playoffs. And the Bucks saw things go sideways from the start, leading to the firing of coach Jason Kidd and young a team left mostly rudderless down the stretch. It’s still an intriguing matchup, but before the season, most would have figured a Bucks-Celtics playoff pairing would have happened later, with more at stake.

The Bucks rank sixth in the NBA in scoring in transition, getting 14.6 points per game. Antetokounmpo is the most prolific transition scorer in the East, accounting for 6.8 of those points. Milwaukee is a subpar shooting team (35.6 percent from the 3-point line, 21st in the league), and relies on getting easy baskets in the open court as a staple of its offense. Boston ranks fifth, though, in defensive efficiency on transition plays, allowing 1.05 points per possession, and also ranks fifth in fast-break points allowed (10.4 per game). The Bucks will have to find ways to create transition opportunities despite the Boston defence.

(3) 76ers vs. (6) Heat
The Sixers beat up on some terrible teams during their season-closing 16-game winning streak (only three of those 16 opponents will be in the playoffs this weekend), but still, 16 straight wins is impressive. The Sixers were 25-25 back in early February, but have gone 27-5 since then, even after losing star center Joel Embiid to an eye injury (he is expected to return at the end of the month). In those 32 games, the Sixers have ranked fifth in offense (111.0 points per 100 possessions) and second defensively (99.7). They’ll get a tough, slow-paced defensive team in their first-round matchup with the Heat, but Miami (20th in offensive efficiency) just can’t score enough to keep up with Philadelphia.

Since the start of February, the Sixers have gone 11-3 in clutch situations (score within five points with five minutes to play), and have posted an offensive rating of 127.7 points per 100 possessions in that span. They’ve allowed 90.4 points per 100 possessions for a net rating of plus-37.3. In that same span, the Heat have gone 7-12 in clutch situations. If these games get tight, the Sixers are a good bet.

(4) Cavs vs. (5) Pacers
The Eastern Conference playoffs, for the last eight seasons, have revolved around one player, LeBron James. And with good reason: James has been on the Eastern Conference champ in every postseason since 2011. He will face his toughest challenge, though, this spring, trying to lead a roster that was rebuilt on the fly with a series of deadline-day trades back in February, and doing so under the specter of his looming free agency. James only got better as the rest of the roster got more scrambled — in 28 games after the trades, he averaged 29.9 points, 9.9 rebounds and 10.1 assists. The Pacers went 3-1 against the Cavs during the season, giving them at least the sense that beating Cleveland is not impossible. But with a highly motivated James on board, the Cavs are sure to be a different team in the postseason, just as they were down the stretch of the season.

Thank goodness for the Suns — they’re the only team that ranked worse defensively than the Cavaliers this year, whose defensive rating was an ungodly 109.5. Minnesota (108.4) is the only other playoff team that had a defensive rating that was not among the top 16 in the NBA. The Pacers are not a juggernaut, but they’re the 12th-rated offensive team in the league, and Indiana will test Cleveland’s scattershot defense all series.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby bertiebeatle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Raptors in 4. Wizards are in free fall
Bucks in 6. Bucks have a good record against them and despite being terrible after the all star break, they got their dream matchup for the first round & will be too good with no Irving around for the C's (Well i hope anyway). Bledsoe been in great form and think he could be the difference.
Sixers in 5. Miami underrated but Philly's end to the season, despite the teams they faced, without Embiid shows they are well on the rise and are a smoky to take the conference out.
Cavs in 6. This will be a great series i feel & can go the distance. Think we will know after the first couple of games as to where the Cavs are at and whether they can make a dent these playoffs
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Toronto in 5
Boston in 6
Philly in 5
Indiana in 6

Houston in 4
Golden State in 6
Portland in 5
Utah in 6
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times

Postby saintal » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Looking forward to keeping an eye on the playoffs after drifting in and out of the regular season. My Blazers secured 3rd seed with a relatively modest W/L record and lagged in recent weeks- the west is pretty even from 3 to 8 it seems.

Great to see Minnesota and Philly back in the playoffs. As an old NM Giants supporter, certainly have a soft spot for the Sixers with Brett Brown at the helm.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm

The Pacers @ $5.25 for the series win is ridiculous IMO
$2.24 for Utah looks like good shopping too

Spargo
Coach

Postby beef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Spargo wrote:The Pacers @ $5.25 for the series win is ridiculous IMO
$2.24 for Utah looks like good shopping too

I don't think Lebron has ever lost in the first round. Cavs will win 4-2 i think.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Go the 76ers!
Was a delight watching then score 80 to half time in the last minor round game.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Houston in 4
Golden State in 5
Portland in 6
Utah in 6

Toronto in 5
Boston in 6
Philadelphia in 5
Cleveland in 5
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Jase » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:07 pm

76ers are just toying with the Heat now...

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Jase wrote:76ers are just toying with the Heat now...

Im loving it, its been a while. Imagine what we'll be like with Embiid back!
:D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Wedgie wrote:

I'm a Celts fan, but do love watching the 6ers play... Simmons is a beast and, you're right, when big Joel is back then it's actually a bit scary...

Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Jase wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I'm a Celts fan, but do love watching the 6ers play... Simmons is a beast and, you're right, when big Joel is back then it's actually a bit scary...

My son's a Celts fan too, could be fun if we play each other
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby king neptune » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Even though the Spurs lost game 2 it was nice to see Mills have a good game, 21 points. He's had a bit of a rough season.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby Spargo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Toronto lead 2-0 over Washington
Boston 2-0 over Milwaukee
Philadelphia/Miami* 1-1
Cleveland/Indiana* 1-1

Houston 2-0 over Minnesota
Golden State 2-0 over San Antonio
New Orleans* 2-0 over Portland
Oklahoma City 1-1 Utah*

*denotes road win(s)

Spargo
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Very sad news that Gregg Popovich's wife passed away this morning.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Philly get back the advantage beating the Heat in Miami, having Embiid back made a huge difference!
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball