The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:05 pm

GMcG wrote:don't you mean The Brain Dead?

Says the bloke whose been kicked out of every suburban ground.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby GMcG » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Booney wrote:
GMcG wrote:don't you mean The Brain Dead?

Says the bloke whose been kicked out of every suburban ground.

knew that was coming!
very predictable :D :D
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby wild dog » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

DoublebluTiger wrote:Another great article by the much respected author Martin Flanagan about the AFL and Australian Rules Football in general, using North Hobart as the example. Worth a read.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-the-afl-in-tasmania-20180412-p4z9as.html

Good article. Particularly like how Martin makes a case for how different our culture and structure is to USA football.

Our game has only two levels – the AFL and grass roots. If Australian football dies at the grass roots, so will the game.

Unfortunately we had an opportunity to have a decent semi professional level and for a while in the noughties it looked possible. Seems like a pipe dream now.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Bless those Port fans. New stadium and all will be good. Wasn't Footy Park a reason why they said they could not fill it ? I lose track on their excuses and behind the back deals but pretty sure they instigated the upgrade of AO .
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 pm

morell wrote:Ahhh yes, nothing like personal anecdotes.

Meanwhile

Ah yes, the Power is popular, therefore the Magpies have to die!

Like how millions shop at Woolworths, so who gives a F### if Joe's Fruit and Veg dies off.

Isn't it great how everyone does the same thing and individual choice slowly dies? I love the how the corporates tell us what is good for us.

It doesn't matter that the unpolluted version of the Magpies will draw an average of over 3,500 per game, and will sell out wherever they play if they make a Grand Final. Just look at all the happy sheep marching from Rundle Mall to Adelaide Oval singing "Never Tear Us Apart" while their leaders find a homogenously pleasing way to stab their mother club out of existence.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LMA » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 pm

I think you'll find that millions of people shop at Woolies because that's what they can afford, not everyone can support their local independent's because their budget doesn't allow it. Poor example there Joe Hockey.

As for individual choice, the corporates aint telling 3 out of 4 youngsters to get tattoos, they do it because it's popular just like the AFL is popular because of better players and standard. You're not gonna watch Neighbours when you can watch The Sopranos.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 pm

morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
The only reason there aren’t many Magpie supporters who don’t follow the Power anymore is coz they walked away altogether.
I know many old Magpie supporters who just walked away and don’t follow the Magpies(if that’s what you call them nowadays) in the SANFL anymore.
Ahhh yes, nothing like personal anecdotes.

Meanwhile

Pretty sure I spotted AF about 20 deep and I don't think Carlton were playing that day
LMA
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Everyone shops at Woolies because its an awesome organisation! :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Columbo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 am

Wedgie wrote:Everyone shops at Woolies because its an awesome organisation! :)

Hooray for 2 for 1 pub lunches!
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am

Michael wrote:Bless those Port fans. New stadium and all will be good. Wasn't Footy Park a reason why they said they could not fill it ? I lose track on their excuses and behind the back deals but pretty sure they instigated the upgrade of AO .

You're not a fan of the upgraded AO?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 am

LMA wrote:
morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
The only reason there aren’t many Magpie supporters who don’t follow the Power anymore is coz they walked away altogether.
I know many old Magpie supporters who just walked away and don’t follow the Magpies(if that’s what you call them nowadays) in the SANFL anymore.

Meanwhile

Pretty sure I spotted AF about 20 deep and I don't think Carlton were playing that day

I’d be languishing at the back with you just like the good old days at footy training. ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 am

Neighbours stood the test of time....The Sopranos however....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:31 am

LMA wrote:
morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Meanwhile

Dint know about Amber being there but Michael Jackson is. Two faces up from the big girl, holding the “never tear us apart” scarf above her head (front centre) :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby sib » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Well there wont be much AFL in the Crows SANFL this week. 70% of the team will be Amatuers
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby morell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:24 pm

therisingblues wrote:
morell wrote:Ahhh yes, nothing like personal anecdotes.

Meanwhile

Ah yes, the Power is popular, therefore the Magpies have to die!

Like how millions shop at Woolworths, so who gives a F### if Joe's Fruit and Veg dies off.

Isn't it great how everyone does the same thing and individual choice slowly dies? I love the how the corporates tell us what is good for us.

It doesn't matter that the unpolluted version of the Magpies will draw an average of over 3,500 per game, and will sell out wherever they play if they make a Grand Final. Just look at all the happy sheep marching from Rundle Mall to Adelaide Oval singing "Never Tear Us Apart" while their leaders find a homogenously pleasing way to stab their mother club out of existence.

lolwut

An $NAFU barnacle crossed with a corporate hipster. Well I never.

The unpolluted Port Adelaide are playing in the AFL and have been since 1997 when we left the dregs behind. Best keep up.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 pm

wild dog wrote:
DoublebluTiger wrote:Another great article by the much respected author Martin Flanagan about the AFL and Australian Rules Football in general, using North Hobart as the example. Worth a read.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-the-afl-in-tasmania-20180412-p4z9as.html

Good article. Particularly like how Martin makes a case for how different our culture and structure is to USA football.

Our game has only two levels – the AFL and grass roots. If Australian football dies at the grass roots, so will the game.

Unfortunately we had an opportunity to have a decent semi professional level and for a while in the noughties it looked possible. Seems like a pipe dream now.

I know it's been said here numerous time, but you would have thought vibrant mid-range leagues drawing 4-5000 on average in WA and SA (maybe a few less in Tassie) would have been a part of a sport that wanted complete market domination. Instead the AFL wanted complete AFL domination and saw the reasonable success of the SANFL in the 90's and 00's as a threat.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 am

I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Scott Hodges makes the same point in his recent book, explaining why to this day he continues to support Collingwood in the AFL. I strongly was against the AFL intrusion in the SANFL, however it has happened and it's now become the lesser of two evils to me if the alternative is no magpies at all. It's a sad state of affairs for us old Port fans, hating the AFL in SANFL but now having to hope for it to continue.. :(
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 am

Alex wrote:I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Scott Hodges makes the same point in his recent book, explaining why to this day he continues to support Collingwood in the AFL. I strongly was against the AFL intrusion in the SANFL, however it has happened and it's now become the lesser of two evils to me if the alternative is no magpies at all. It's a sad state of affairs for us old Port fans, hating the AFL in SANFL but now having to hope for it to continue.. :(

You can't hang you're hat on that, all new players to all clubs need to be educated on their clubs history. Just remember that because the Power aren't black and white or called the magpies doesn't mean they're not Port Adelaide, born at Alberton not at SANFL headquarters upon some hard work and vision 7 years earlier. You don't knock someone for trying to seek promotion in the workforce nor should we knock the PAFC for wanting to prove themselves in the highest competition, whatever colours or name they might be.
LMA
Coach

Postby GMcG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 am

Alex wrote:I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Alex, there isn't a Magpies anymore, unfortunately.
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am

LMA wrote:

You can't hang you're hat on that, all new players to all clubs need to be educated on their clubs history. Just remember that because the Power aren't black and white or called the magpies doesn't mean they're not Port Adelaide, born at Alberton not at SANFL headquarters upon some hard work and vision 7 years earlier. You don't knock someone for trying to seek promotion in the workforce nor should we knock the PAFC for wanting to prove themselves in the highest competition, whatever colours or name they might be.

Another case of you don’t agree with me so you are wrong.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL