Been liked: 10773 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Booney wrote:So am I. ;)

Closet.

Port.

Fan.

Ah got ya!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm

therisingblues wrote:
morell wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
morell wrote:Ahhh yes, nothing like personal anecdotes.

Meanwhile

Ah yes, the Power is popular, therefore the Magpies have to die!

Like how millions shop at Woolworths, so who gives a F### if Joe's Fruit and Veg dies off.

Isn't it great how everyone does the same thing and individual choice slowly dies? I love the how the corporates tell us what is good for us.

It doesn't matter that the unpolluted version of the Magpies will draw an average of over 3,500 per game, and will sell out wherever they play if they make a Grand Final. Just look at all the happy sheep marching from Rundle Mall to Adelaide Oval singing "Never Tear Us Apart" while their leaders find a homogenously pleasing way to stab their mother club out of existence.

lolwut

An $NAFU barnacle crossed with a corporate hipster. Well I never.

The unpolluted Port Adelaide are playing in the AFL and have been since 1997 when we left the dregs behind. Best keep up.

Keep up?
I DID say unpolluted Magpies. As to which is the unpolluted Port Adelaide... I will not enter that debate.

P.S. Woolies can be great and still leave room for those independents that keep them honest. It is when such giants actively seek out those smaller players and attempt to put them to the axe that ruins things.
Does the comparison make more sense now LMA?

It does thanks Joe, I need to get a better paying job
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby stan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:36 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Closet.

Port.

Fan.

Ah got ya!
Im starting to think you are there as well. Its ok you can be who you want to be. Its a safe time for you to come out now.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:38 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:
Alex wrote:I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Scott Hodges makes the same point in his recent book, explaining why to this day he continues to support Collingwood in the AFL. I strongly was against the AFL intrusion in the SANFL, however it has happened and it's now become the lesser of two evils to me if the alternative is no magpies at all. It's a sad state of affairs for us old Port fans, hating the AFL in SANFL but now having to hope for it to continue.. :(

You can't hang you're hat on that, all new players to all clubs need to be educated on their clubs history. Just remember that because the Power aren't black and white or called the magpies doesn't mean they're not Port Adelaide, born at Alberton not at SANFL headquarters upon some hard work and vision 7 years earlier. You don't knock someone for trying to seek promotion in the workforce nor should we knock the PAFC for wanting to prove themselves in the highest competition, whatever colours or name they might be.

Another case of you don’t agree with me so you are wrong.

More of a case of giving an opposite opinion, it is a forum after all. If only people who agreed with each other could post then it would just be a 25 page circle jerk.
Last edited by LMA on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm

stan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Closet.

Port.

Fan.

Ah got ya!
Im starting to think you are there as well. Its ok you can be who you want to be. Its a safe time for you to come out now.

There’s more chance of me coming out as a homosexual than a Power supporter. :lol:
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 pm

If Collingwood weren't in the AFL would we still be killing off magpies, I think not. My daughter gets married and changes her last name does it make her less entitled to the family's history or does it make us distant towards her because she has moved on from where she was born, I think not.

.............In My Opinion
Last edited by LMA on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
stan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Closet.

Port.

Fan.

Ah got ya!

There’s more chance of me coming out as a homosexual than a Power supporter. :lol:

Thorpey was in denial too, to what was the bleeding obvious to many
LMA
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:04 pm

LMA wrote:If Collingwood weren't in the AFL would we still be killing off magpies, I think not. My daughter gets married and changes her last name does it make her less entitled to the family's history or does it make us distant towards her because she has moved on from where she was born, I think not.

I have pondered this question myself.
How would Amber and co. feel if the AFL version of Port were called the Magpies and not the Power, and played in their black and white prison bars?

Would there be any interest at all in maintaining a SANFL presence if that were the case?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 pm

therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:If Collingwood weren't in the AFL would we still be killing off magpies, I think not. My daughter gets married and changes her last name does it make her less entitled to the family's history or does it make us distant towards her because she has moved on from where she was born, I think not.

How would Amber and co. feel if the AFL version of Port were called the Magpies and not the Power, and played in their black and white prison bars?

Would there be any interest at all in maintaining a SANFL presence if that were the case?

It’s a good question and one I have thought about many times.

I may have been more inclined to follow them in the AFL if that did happen initially, but it didn’t so I can’t really answer it for sure.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:34 pm

therisingblues wrote:

I think Alex could answer that, I know a few people who can't get past the fact that Port aren't wearing black and white and aren't called the Magpies in the AFL so they don't support them. I'm not so sentimental, I'm comfortable in the fact that PAFC is represented in the AFL and had to change for obvious reasons
LMA
Coach

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Would have jumped on the port AFL bandwagon if they had kept their colours maybe. It's hard to say as the whole thing was such a farce at the time with the club claiming that the power were a new entity and the magpies remained in the SANFL. Adding to the joke at the time was the fact that a lot of supporters of other SANFL teams, particularly Sturt fans I knew started supporting the power whilst still hating the magpies. They, like me, bought the official line at the time that the power was the new entity.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:44 pm

They were a new entity, and the previous PAFC who changed their name to the PAMFC so the new entity could claim the name is now dead, that's all fact and in writing. I still find it very sad about what happened and I feel sincerely for the supporters of a great club that is no longer in existence. Kind of ironic that they were killed by their own Frankenstein and not anyone else in the end but sad none the less and I feel for their loyal real supporters that hate the Power for doing that and I know many of them. RIP.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:02 pm

C’mon mate, one club and all that bullsh*t.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Alex wrote:Would have jumped on the port AFL bandwagon if they had kept their colours maybe. It's hard to say as the whole thing was such a farce at the time with the club claiming that the power were a new entity and the magpies remained in the SANFL. Adding to the joke at the time was the fact that a lot of supporters of other SANFL teams, particularly Sturt fans I knew started supporting the power whilst still hating the magpies. They, like me, bought the official line at the time that the power was the new entity.

I reckon it was the teal that brought them in.

I was of the other persuasion. I would rather have seen a genuine SANFL club enter, wearing their genuine SANFL colours with their genuine mascot, carrying all their traditions with them.

I don't think sentiment is such a large part of it. More relevant for me is the credibility of what we are following as a sport.
What's the point of it all if you are going to throw it all away and follow someone else the moment it is more fashionable to do so? How can you then stand on the terraces and demand more of your side when the chips are down, if you yourself are going to drop it the minute the TV or the newspaper says that there's something better to do?

I think that is why I keep coming back to this site. I know most of the readers here feel the same way. For better or worse I think we are a rare breed.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Alex wrote:Would have jumped on the port AFL bandwagon if they had kept their colours maybe. It's hard to say as the whole thing was such a farce at the time with the club claiming that the power were a new entity and the magpies remained in the SANFL. Adding to the joke at the time was the fact that a lot of supporters of other SANFL teams, particularly Sturt fans I knew started supporting the power whilst still hating the magpies. They, like me, bought the official line at the time that the power was the new entity.

I reckon it was the teal that brought them in.

I was of the other persuasion. I would rather have seen a genuine SANFL club enter, wearing their genuine SANFL colours with their genuine mascot, carrying all their traditions with them

I don't think sentiment is such a large part of it. More relevant for me is the credibility of what we are following as a sport.
What's the point of it all if you are going to throw it all away and follow someone else the moment it is more fashionable to do so? How can you then stand on the terraces and demand more of your side when the chips are down, if you yourself are going to drop it the minute the TV or the newspaper says that there's something better to do?

I think that is why I keep coming back to this site. I know most of the readers here feel the same way. For better or worse I think we are a rare breed.

So Port at the time of AFL entry weren't a genuine SANFL club. Again too much emphasis on guernsey and name, if they could of they would of, the same thing would of happened if it were Glenelg instead of Port
LMA
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 pm

I will concede that at least Port are CLOSER to being a genuine SANFL club than the Crows were. I have ranted on here before that Port were more deserving of owning the Magpie than Collingwood, but I shouldn't get into that now.
Yes, if Glenelg had gone in, it would have been the same dilemma.
Guernsey and name is a large part of it. It is the identity of the club we follow. If Sturt were to enter, but had to introduce a third colour to our guernsey and could no longer be the "Double Blues" it would be bound to split our supporter base also.
I don't blame/begrudge those that follow the Power. I DO feel strongly for those poor buggers that follow the Magpies and are not Power fans, (or those that are Power fans, but want the Magpie to remain an independent force in the SANFL) I feel those buggers are the same as any of us on here who love our club, and don't deserve to be shafted purely because it is "convenient" for an AFL side.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 pm

One thing for sure is that I wish there was a proper AFL and not the VFL with the 2 SA teams. Was so good when everyone supported a real mixture of local teams and had a favourite VFL team on the side if they wished. I know it is longing for the past but gee those days were so good compared to today...
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 pm

therisingblues wrote:I will concede that at least Port are CLOSER to being a genuine SANFL club than the Crows were. I have ranted on here before that Port were more deserving of owning the Magpie than Collingwood, but I shouldn't get into that now.
Yes, if Glenelg had gone in, it would have been the same dilemma.
Guernsey and name is a large part of it. It is the identity of the club we follow. If Sturt were to enter, but had to introduce a third colour to our guernsey and could no longer be the "Double Blues" it would be bound to split our supporter base also.
I don't blame/begrudge those that follow the Power. I DO feel strongly for those poor buggers that follow the Magpies and are not Power fans, (or those that are Power fans, but want the Magpie to remain an independent force in the SANFL) I feel those buggers are the same as any of us on here who love our club, and don't deserve to be shafted purely because it is "convenient" for an AFL side.

Not sure about Port deserving the Magpies name more than Collingwood. When you enter someone else’s comp it’s only fair that you adapt
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Does anyone have any idea why the Powers third colour was teal in 1997 but is turquoise in 2018?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL