Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:14 am

In the meantime Port have dropped two games where they were favoured to win, I hope the lad has learnt from this, one player doesn't change results and shouldn't upset the apple cart but all the bullshit surrounding it would've had some negative impact on the group.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 am

Dutchy wrote:Now Port fighting with the Integrity Department, good luck

Port have only been given a summary of the report from the AFL and have requested the full report and the evidence used to substantiate the findings.

This isn't over by the sounds of it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby stan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 am

Port are a strange bunch. Got plenty of the ball, won there fair share of clearances despite not having a ruckmen but for some reason go to poo when kicking inside the 50.

Strange as it us something we have seen alot over the years from Port.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Now Port fighting with the Integrity Department, good luck

Port have only been given a summary of the report from the AFL and have requested the full report and the evidence used to substantiate the findings.

This isn't over by the sounds of it.

They sound miles apart
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby Trader » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I heard Paddy get boo'd early in the game when he went near it, pretty pathetic to boo the champions of our game, like Selwood & Paddy or not, they make our game better.

That was after Dangerfield dumped Westhoff 50m off the ball.
Most teams supporters boo someone for the rest of the game after an incident like that.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby morell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:59 am

stan wrote:Port are a strange bunch. Got plenty of the ball, won there fair share of clearances despite not having a ruckmen but for some reason go to poo when kicking inside the 50.

Strange as it us something we have seen alot over the years from Port.

Peter and Paul syndrome. We have to sacrifice our structure to break even in the middle.

Things like Dixon into the ruck, Wingard into the middle, Westhoff more defensive etc
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Trader » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Every time I watch Port play I think why do we have these great forwards and do nothing with them.

The opposition move the ball into their forward line and we all run back to clog it all up and then there's a turnover so we all run forward hoping the ball goes over the top and we run on to it. Sure, it might work for a few rounds until the niggles start setting in or for the first quarter and a half of a game but it's been proven that it can't be maintained for a full season.

Get big Chuck up near the goal front, have Robbie or Chad around his feet and go froward with some purpose, not sure how many times we see a forward thrust only to hit a wall and go sideways or backwards to dispose of the ball with any chance of efficiency.

Player for player Port are as good as or around the mark with most teams, perhaps they should try and expose this and have each player try and win their position, I get exhausted watching their game plan, it forces me to drink.

Simply put, our guys aren't good enough by foot.
Instead we kick it into space and back our speed in to get it. The kick over the top to space doesn't need to be as accurate as the kick to a leading target.
I dislike the game plan as much as the next guy, but in some respects we've been forced into it due to our lack of skills.

I guess that's why we also go with 1 tall, that spends time in the ruck (Dixon), and 8 HFF/FP's (SGray, Neade, Amon, Wingard, RGray, Boak, Thomas, Motlop) - Granted a few of those are running through the middle at the moment, but it does feel out of wack.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
I heard Paddy get boo'd early in the game

Tough crowd, booing their own (Ryder) when he's injured and not even playing....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I heard Paddy get boo'd early in the game when he went near it, pretty pathetic to boo the champions of our game, like Selwood & Paddy or not, they make our game better.

That was after Dangerfield dumped Westhoff 50m off the ball.
Most teams supporters boo someone for the rest of the game after an incident like that.

This in the first couple of minutes of the game when there was a 50/50 near the outer boundary. I could understand after the Westhoff incident, Paddy seems to get away with more than most.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:07 pm

PORT Adelaide is at loggerheads with the AFL over the handling of the Sam Powell-Pepper investigation, demanding to see the integrity unit's full report that recommends further sanctions on the Power midfielder.

The Power have been handed a summary of the report, but claim it doesn't reflect what happened based on footage the club has obtained.

Powell-Pepper was involved in a late-night incident at an Adelaide nightclub in the early hours of Sunday morning, April 8.

The 20-year-old was handed a one-game club-imposed suspension for breaking team rules, but also stood himself down from last Saturday night's loss to Geelong while the matter remained unresolved.

"We want to see the report, because our view is the report does not reflect properly what actually went on at the nightclub," Power chairman David Koch told Adelaide radio station FIVEaa on Monday morning.

"The conversation is around further sanctions. On the evidence we have, it doesn't warrant further sanctions.

"We have video of the entire night and our view is that video doesn't match the findings of the integrity unit's report and we are backing our player.

"We think the allegations, and in particular some of the media allegations against Sam, on our evidence is completely misleading.

"That's why we want to see the report to see what other evidence that report contains, if any.

"We are stumped by that, we are frustrated by that, so frustrated, because it is putting enormous pressure on this young man.

"As I've said right from the very start, if there's evidence of any serious sexual abuse, then we would throw the book at any player, but our vision of what happened on the night bears no resemblance to that."

Koch said the Power would look to take all necessary steps to clear Powell-Pepper's name.

"We're happy or prepared to take this matter further, to a hearing," he said.

"We've got QCs' opinions on it who have actually seen the vision of the night.

"As I've said, if the vision showed anything to that level we would absolutely be the first to take action, but our view of it, is that it doesn't match what the integrity unit is alleging.

"That's why we want to see their report, because if they've got other evidence that shows that, we want to see it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-23/p ... er-inquiry
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Why did we go backwards calling up Lindsay Thomas on the weekend when we could of brought in a kid?
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Hazbeen wrote:Why did we go backwards calling up Lindsay Thomas on the weekend when we could of brought in a kid?

Especially when there was no Magpies game on the weekend, Johnson probably should have been called in, not Thomas FFS..
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Hazbeen wrote:Why did we go backwards calling up Lindsay Thomas on the weekend when we could of brought in a kid?

Playing with 21 would've been a better option.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Yessss yessss.. let it flow through you Booney.
morell
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Booney wrote:

Especially when there was no Magpies game on the weekend, Johnson probably should have been called in, not Thomas FFS..

Another example of Ken's lack of courage at the selection table.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Just so frustrated after Saturday night. Forget the sh*t that happens off the field, we can't even get the on field stuff right. I have been a big fan of Ken and he is a big reason as to why we have been able to recruit so many players from other sides best 22, but **** me, have we learnt anything. Totally out-coached again. As Booney said earlier, once again denied the corridor and we are stuffed. Reckon we went through the middle twice for the night. First time was with Boak when the game was on the line in the 3rd and he turned it over, then the other was with a couple of minutes to go when the game was over. Missed Marshall big time but surely it isn't that hard to be smarter with our Inside 50 entries. **** me we spent the whole summer just about on that part of the game. Few interesting comments from where i was sitting with a high up Port officials family (who i know well) making some very interesting comments about the coaching staff. Another game thrown away and now right back with the pack, with two danger games coming up before the showdown. Need to turn this around quick smart otherwise we are going to be chasing the pack come the bye. Credit to Geelong, totally outplayed and out-coached us but no wonder Selwood and Dangerfield get booed. Cheap shots off the ball (especially Selwood), then throw their head right back when there is contact. Cheap shots right in front of the umpires as well who choose to do nothing and let them get away with it. Disgusting. Selwood should definitely get sighted for the trip on Wingard but we all know he won't

Robbie, Wines & Westhoff my best for the night. Sam Gray had one of the worst games ive seen in a long time, Houston still struggling, Amon & Neade did bugger all. Thomas will get suspended so at least we won't have to see him again.

Thought i had finally started to relax today, but writing this has got me pissed off again. Ken needs to do something ASAP
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby morell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Every time I watch Port play I think why do we have these great forwards and do nothing with them.

The opposition move the ball into their forward line and we all run back to clog it all up and then there's a turnover so we all run forward hoping the ball goes over the top and we run on to it. Sure, it might work for a few rounds until the niggles start setting in or for the first quarter and a half of a game but it's been proven that it can't be maintained for a full season.

Get big Chuck up near the goal front, have Robbie or Chad around his feet and go froward with some purpose, not sure how many times we see a forward thrust only to hit a wall and go sideways or backwards to dispose of the ball with any chance of efficiency.

Player for player Port are as good as or around the mark with most teams, perhaps they should try and expose this and have each player try and win their position, I get exhausted watching their game plan, it forces me to drink.

Instead we kick it into space and back our speed in to get it. The kick over the top to space doesn't need to be as accurate as the kick to a leading target.
I dislike the game plan as much as the next guy, but in some respects we've been forced into it due to our lack of skills.

I guess that's why we also go with 1 tall, that spends time in the ruck (Dixon), and 8 HFF/FP's (SGray, Neade, Amon, Wingard, RGray, Boak, Thomas, Motlop) - Granted a few of those are running through the middle at the moment, but it does feel out of wack.
mmmm nah.

Our effective disposal % is ok 72.3 - actually higher than Geelong. Clanger count is also reasonable. Most of our guys are pretty good kicks.

When we suck is ... Contested marks (dead last) and i50 conversion.

Forward structure, system and method. In other words.

How many times did we lead and kick to the pocket? We took 4 (!) marks inside 50 on the weekend. 4!

We push our flankers and pockets up to break even in the middle. Leaving the opposition with numbers behind the ball. We then have to try and bomb or lead wide because there is no space. We even try the old Lade / Burgoyne trick of forcing the ball out instead of kicking to a contest to then take advantage of ... our.... elite.... RUCK

This is what I mean by structure and using a method that matches the demography of the selected side.
morell
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Don't worry, Ken is out of contract in 2022 :)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Don't worry, Ken is out of contract in 2022 :)

He’ll of asked for an extension by then, and based on last years evidence, the club will jump to sign him.
He’s got the best manager in the world is all I can say.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm

morell wrote:
Trader wrote:

mmmm nah.

Our effective disposal % is ok 72.3 - actually higher than Geelong. Clanger count is also reasonable. Most of our guys are pretty good kicks.

When we suck is ... Contested marks (dead last) and i50 conversion.

Forward structure, system and method. In other words.

How many times did we lead and kick to the pocket? We took 4 (!) marks inside 50 on the weekend. 4!

We push our flankers and pockets up to break even in the middle. Leaving the opposition with numbers behind the ball. We then have to try and bomb or lead wide because there is no space. We even try the old Lade / Burgoyne trick of forcing the ball out instead of kicking to a contest to then take advantage of ... our.... elite.... RUCK

This is what I mean by structure and using a method that matches the demography of the selected side.

We lead to the pockets so if we don't mark the ball we get a forward 50 stoppage for the likes of the Grays & Wingard to work their magic. Problem is teams are working this out and pushing plenty of numbers to those stoppages and we also don't have the best ruckman in the comp on the park at the moment. Plus our goal kicking is sub-standard still. Also if we lead straight up the middle and their is a big contest, if we lose the ball at ground level, it is a quick & easy transition for the oppostion to their forward 50 and usually leads to a goal out the back as they will have the extra number. I don't actually mind the tactic of leading to the pockets, just need to deliver it into them better
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL