Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm

“There is a much bigger story at play here with the internal politics of what is going between the AFL and Port Adelaide,” footy reporter Sam McClure has told SEN.

“My understanding is Port Adelaide were pretty close to naming Powell-Pepper,” McClure said. “I know Port said it was Powell-Pepper who said he was ruling himself out.”

“I think you will find there was a bit of pressure from the AFL as well, saying we haven’t finished our internal investigation here, if we find he is X, Y and Z wrong, and you play him, then we both have egg on our face.

“I can only read between the lines and suggest that there is a sanction coming for Powell-Pepper from the AFL. Whether that’s matches or a fine, or both, I don’t know. Port Adelaide isn’t happy about it."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:“There is a much bigger story at play here with the internal politics of what is going between the AFL and Port Adelaide,” footy reporter Sam McClure has told SEN.

“My understanding is Port Adelaide were pretty close to naming Powell-Pepper,” McClure said. “I know Port said it was Powell-Pepper who said he was ruling himself out.”

“I think you will find there was a bit of pressure from the AFL as well, saying we haven’t finished our internal investigation here, if we find he is X, Y and Z wrong, and you play him, then we both have egg on our face.

“I can only read between the lines and suggest that there is a sanction coming for Powell-Pepper from the AFL. Whether that’s matches or a fine, or both, I don’t know. Port Adelaide isn’t happy about it."

Sam Mclure is fast becoming, if he hasn’t already, the biggest *****t in the media.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

morell wrote:
Brodlach wrote:It’s not hard to understand. Sexual assault is sexual assault. Do either of those in a normal work place and it’s goodbye.

I’m not suggesting that should happen to SPP as I have no idea what occurred

Nah, there are many more granular "categories" than that.

Misconduct, harassment, assault, rape...and severity therin

The wording "any serious sexual assault" suggests even the club understands there was a level (maybe even at a granular level) of sexual assault.

So is the club arguing that a level of sexual assault occurred, or is it just an example of bad wording?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
morell wrote:
Brodlach wrote:It’s not hard to understand. Sexual assault is sexual assault. Do either of those in a normal work place and it’s goodbye.

The wording "any serious sexual assault" suggests even the club understands there was a level (maybe even at a granular level) of sexual assault.

So is the club arguing that a level of sexual assault occurred, or is it just an example of bad wording?

"Any serious sexual abuse" is the working Koch used.

I'd imagine that would be worded differently if it was in a prepared statement and not during an interview.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
morell wrote:

"Any serious sexual abuse" is the working Koch used.

I'd imagine that would be worded differently if it was in a prepared statement and not during an interview.

I heard it live on 5AA this morning and thought the wording was odd and little clumsy.

Certainly made it sound like the vision showed him doing something but not what the girl has suggested.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 876 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Given SPP was as drunk as 10 men, how can they take his version of events seriously?
I hope for his sake the girl is telling the truth and she wasn’t as drunk as he was.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02 pm

mots02 wrote:I heard it live on 5AA this morning and thought the wording was odd and little clumsy.

Certainly made it sound like the vision showed him doing something but not what the girl has suggested.

He's a busy man, Koch, I'd like him to slow down sometimes when he's doing an interview as he can get his foot and the phone confused near his mouth and can put one in when it should be the other, especially with a razor sharp Penberthy on the other end looking for something to sensationalize.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Booney wrote:
mots02 wrote:I heard it live on 5AA this morning and thought the wording was odd and little clumsy.

He's a busy man, Koch, I'd like him to slow down sometimes when he's doing an interview as he can get his foot and the phone confused near his mouth and can put one in when it should be the other, especially with a razor sharp Penberthy on the other end looking for something to sensationalize.

I find it all a bit odd. If SPP didn't do anything wrong (Besides being drunk etc) then why would he not put himself up for selection this week? Has to be more to it (Not necessarily the assault part).
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Whatever the outcome of the SPP investigation, I hope he takes a look at what has resulted from this situation.

He put himself there, drunk and out about well beyond bedtime for a professional sportsman mid-season.
He's also left a massive hole in his team's set-up and cost his club's leadership, fellow players and officials plenty of time off the field when they had better things to do.
When people say "it's got nothing to do with the club" they need to reflect upon what happens when an incident such as this occurs - it impacts fellow players, committee, coaches, media staff, marketing teams, legal staff and more as they try to shore up and provide a response to the fall out, as well as support a player through this situation. Footballers are lucky to have this support network. This is why it is a club issue.
Jordan De Goey did the exact same thing to Collingwood last year and I still think his absence had a massive impact on our start to 2017.
I suspect SPP's absence is having a similar impact on his club.

Hopefully SPP learns a little bit quicker than JDG did, as he has a bright career in this game if he chooses to fully commit.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Well put DW, Imagine the hours of time this has sucked up from Chris Davies and Keith Thomas which takes them away from other positive stuff they could be focusing on (e.g. China)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well put DW, Imagine the hours of time this has sucked up from Chris Davies and Keith Thomas which takes them away from other positive stuff they could be focusing on (e.g. China)

China?

F7A1FEBD-0E20-4891-83B3-F610DA7582FC.jpeg
F7A1FEBD-0E20-4891-83B3-F610DA7582FC.jpeg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm

We pride ourselves on the work we do within the community with the Foodbank program and our indigenous programs, widely regarded as some of if not the best in the country, not just in the AFL ranks.

I feel for Keith Thomas, Chris Davies ( his acumen recently recognized with his inclusion in the AFL's 12 person "Super panel" ), Paul Vandenbergh and Daniel Norton. These men and many others do a power (no pun) of work for our club and in our community, they don't need the addition of cases such as SPP's to one, take them away from that work, and two, take some of the gloss off of that work.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:59 pm

New footage has surfaced of the fight, the bloke in the long sleeve shirt who looked the main player in the initial footage kicks a bloke who is on the ground.

He must be identified and dealt with to the full extent of the one punch laws now available to the courts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Just saw that, right in front of security, surely AO also have CCTV vision in that room also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:25 pm

How about the flog who runs in with a swing punch then runs away.

I think I know the security guard in the footage
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Brodlach wrote:How about the flog who runs in with a swing punch then runs away.

Reminds me of a dust up at the Bay in front of the old Northern Canteen/Bar about 10 years v Sturt where Mouse layed out Adam Eckerman and Brant Chambers kicked his first Ton.

Similar hero decides to throw a couple of cheap ones at a bloke whilst held by security then disappeared for a while. Looked real tough with the skin head haircut.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Thomas and Joel Selwood both given 1 week for punching each other
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Neade back into the Port side?

Yuck.

Better Neade than Thomas mate.... ;)

Better later than never... :lol:

neade and thomas.JPG
neade and thomas.JPG (25.01 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:55 pm

morell wrote:I swear to god I'm in a timewarp.

Port start the year great. Cop an injury. Ken throws structure and common sense out the door. We struggle and scrag and lose to the better teams.

Pretty sure that's been 2015, 2016, 2017 and now... 2018.

Completely agree, and one thing we know about Ken is he is too stubborn to make changes and admit he was wrong. Clearly should play a ruckman. Won’t though, as doing so would admit he was wrong the last few weeks
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:08 pm

RustyCage wrote:
morell wrote:I swear to god I'm in a timewarp.

Port start the year great. Cop an injury. Ken throws structure and common sense out the door. We struggle and scrag and lose to the better teams.

Pretty sure that's been 2015, 2016, 2017 and now... 2018.

Completely agree, and one thing we know about Ken is he is too stubborn to make changes and admit he was wrong. Clearly should play a ruckman. Won’t though, as doing so would admit he was wrong the last few weeks

So your senior coach is putting his pride & ego before the betterment of the team?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL