Scoring averages from 1991 onwards

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Scoring averages from 1991 onwards

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm

GMcG wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Michael wrote: Quick and attacking . Much better spectacle.

Maybe, but not sure its a better game when there is little defence, I prefer games where goals are at a premium and each one is very important.

maybe you should follow soccer :D

LOL I was going to say the same thing. Dutch would have loved the Power v WWT game.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 pm

spell_check wrote:
Michael wrote: maybe they are a bit more up to speed with the current style of game ? Quick and attacking . Much better spectacle.

Have you seen this weeks round of scores in the AFL? Just one 100 point score out of the 7 matches so far.

You picked out 1 round and 1 team scored 98 . Go and see the other rounds as I would be surprised if there werent more than just 1 game over 100. Most people would prefer watching a game 15 goals to 14 as an example than 8 to 7 . High scoring is what the supporters want .
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby spell_check » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Michael wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Michael wrote: maybe they are a bit more up to speed with the current style of game ? Quick and attacking . Much better spectacle.

Have you seen this weeks round of scores in the AFL? Just one 100 point score out of the 7 matches so far.

You picked out 1 round and 1 team scored 98 . Go and see the other rounds as I would be surprised if there werent more than just 1 game over 100. Most people would prefer watching a game 15 goals to 14 as an example than 8 to 7 . High scoring is what the supporters want .

What high scoring? There's been three matches out of 43 this year in the AFL which were at least a 15 vs 14 goal match

31.4% of all scores kicked in the AFL this year have been 100+, compared to the SANFL 25%. The average score in an AFL match to right now is 85.93 points, the SANFL is 78.36. Considering that the AFL matches have about 5 minutes extra playing time due to the time on added for ball ups (6.25% more), the scoring in the AFL is only 8.9% more. Hardly anything in it.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Missed the point but OK.
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby spell_check » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 pm

The point that North were up to speed with the current AFL style of football, that was quicker and more attacking...yet the AFL is really not that much more higher scoring? Ok.
spell_check
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:44 am

Michael wrote:Missed the point but OK.

I don’t need to speak for Spelly, but I don’t think he has missed the point at all.

I’d say you make these sweeping statements without bothering to check out first. Welcome to SAFooty, you’ll fit in well here :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 am

Michael wrote:
spell_check wrote:

Dutchy wrote:
Michael wrote: Quick and attacking . Much better spectacle.

Maybe, but not sure its a better game when there is little defence, I prefer games where goals are at a premium and each one is very important.

Not sure how old you are Michael, but 15 to 14 is hradly high scoring, and agree Dutchy we don't want to go back to the the mid 70's to mid 80's where scoring was probably too easy across all three codes - IIRC correctly Claremont one year had two hundred goal kickers, including Malaxos, rover changing in forward pocket.

What we want is open, one-on-one, less "structured" footy so the better player, be it forward or defender, can win out, with teams always looking to go forward. Early in the season plenty of scores between 90 and 130, with a few 20+'s and a couple but not too many, 30's for variety. Then during the depths on winter, a 8 goal to 7 game on a suburban mudheap can be an intriguing variation.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am

spell_check wrote:
Michael wrote:
spell_check wrote:

What high scoring? There's been three matches out of 43 this year in the AFL which were at least a 15 vs 14 goal match

31.4% of all scores kicked in the AFL this year have been 100+, compared to the SANFL 25%. The average score in an AFL match to right now is 85.93 points, the SANFL is 78.36. Considering that the AFL matches have about 5 minutes extra playing time due to the time on added for ball ups (6.25% more), the scoring in the AFL is only 8.9% more. Hardly anything in it.

A bit off topic here, but I reckon the current timing of quarters in the AFL is complete crap. Players are saying how hard the game is, don't reduce rotations and there is discussion about making the quarters shorter. Make them longer, go back to the old time-one rules. We get games that are ball-up after ball-up, throw-in after throw-in and these quarters go forever, whilst an open game the time flies by. For example, the other week there was a quarter went 31 minutes with three goals scored, the Power/Cats game third quarter went for 35 minutes with only 6 goals scored including one at the 27 minute mark, another other on the siren, and remember a few years ago when the Crows crowd were bagged for leaving early against Melbourne, 26 minutes, one goal yet still two minutes on the count-down clock.
And complementary to these would be more liberal deliberate and HTB rules in the packs, but the umpires get in there and restart the play ASAP, not like they do most times now.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:58 am

So you guys prefer to see no defence, just free/high scoring/bruise free games?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am

Scoring would have been MASSIVE when Danny Del-Re was steaming out of the goal square for the Panthers!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 am

Dutchy wrote:So you guys prefer to see no defence, just free/high scoring/bruise free games?

The 70s and 80s was far from bruise free gsmes, quite the opposite.
Would I enjoy watching the Power v WWT game or a game from the mid 80s. No comparison.
It'd be like asking if I wanted to root Rebel Wilson now or Elle McPherson at her peak.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby spell_check » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:What we want is open, one-on-one, less "structured" footy so the better player, be it forward or defender, can win out, with teams always looking to go forward. Early in the season plenty of scores between 90 and 130, with a few 20+'s and a couple but not too many, 30's for variety. Then during the depths on winter, a 8 goal to 7 game on a suburban mudheap can be an intriguing variation.

This I wouldn't mind...a classic example if you look at is the 1989 season in both the SANFL and VFL. Richmond won a match against North Melbourne 26 goals to 20; then also won a match against Brisbane 5 goals to 3, both are in full on Youtube
spell_check
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:So you guys prefer to see no defence, just free/high scoring/bruise free games?

No, I enjoy seeing good play by a defender. Heck, aside from one season, would have spent 95%+ of my junior and senior footy in the backlines.

What I don't like is a defensive mindset from the start and defensive "structures". But it is not my beef in just footy, all sport that becomes professional, besides test cricket, has lost some of it's charm by overanalysis and the emphasis on not losing.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL