Tea Tree Gully
8%

Total votes : 60

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2018

Postby Down the Hill » Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm

jo172 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:That also has it's dangers and do automatically ban someone, you'd need to come in with undeniable proof I'd think - rather than banishing someone based on almost heresay,

When you have the act on video it's a pretty bloody good start.

Hell, when two people are down one end of the field in 100 metres of space and one ends up unconscious or serverely injured it's a pretty good start.

Whilst the footage was damning, there is nothing showing any events leading up to the incident. Could be a retaliation incident?

I very much do not subscribe to any two wrongs make a right view.
jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:That also has it's dangers and do automatically ban someone, you'd need to come in with undeniable proof I'd think - rather than banishing someone based on almost heresay,

Hell, when two people are down one end of the field in 100 metres of space and one ends up unconscious or serverely injured it's a pretty good start.

Whilst the footage was damning, there is nothing showing any events leading up to the incident. Could be a retaliation incident?

You know I like you LGIL but that is a pathetic statement. It's 2018 mate, not 1978 on a typically cold windy day at Bice Oval. But feel free to believe that every CBFC player suspension over the years that your player was actually the victim not the offender.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Whilst the footage was damning, there is nothing showing any events leading up to the incident. Could be a retaliation incident?

You know I like you LGIL but that is a pathetic statement. It's 2018 mate, not 1978 on a typically cold windy day at Bice Oval. But feel free to believe that every CBFC player suspension over the years that your player was actually the victim not the offender.

No certainly not, but it was in discussion around having a mandatory life ban for anything that occurs behind the play. I am all for having severe penalties for cowardly acts like this, and nothing excuses a penalty, but an offence has to be taken into context when it is being suggested to give the player a life sentence.

I think the example being set by the AdelFL is having the desired results.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Executive Member wrote:
Its a great debate and what I am most impressed about is, the argument isn't about the penalty being too harsh but if its adequate. Shows The League has started to change the hearts and minds on what is acceptable on a footy field now days

Ha ha I don’t think anyone (except cretins) ever thought it was ok to dog hit people off the ball. What will you take credit for next? Low interest rates?
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby bird of prey » Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 pm

jo172 wrote:

The player hit seems to be #26. Simon Brooks is not the guy you would go after in retaliation. Having played against him for over 10years, he ain’t the bloke who dishes anything out. Plays it fairer than anyone.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Executive Member » Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
Its a great debate and what I am most impressed about is, the argument isn't about the penalty being too harsh but if its adequate. Shows The League has started to change the hearts and minds on what is acceptable on a footy field now days

Ha ha I don’t think anyone (except cretins) ever thought it was ok to dog hit people off the ball. What will you take credit for next? Low interest rates?

no but we have deployed Jimmy to Korea
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri May 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Executive Member wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

no but we have deployed Jimmy to Korea

Ha ha Jimmy and Trump, what a team!
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby LMA » Sat May 05, 2018 8:43 am

jo172 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
jo172 wrote:https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/watch-suburban-player-with-ankle-bracelet-breaks-opponents-jaw-behind-play/news-story/0f3ac1df21454f02a4d753c4d51aa814

Looks like the Victorians have higher standards than our tribunal, automatic 16 games and Australia wide de-registration for this elbow.

This might be the wrong thread for it, but what are people's thoughts regarding automatic 12 week deregistering suspensions for intentional, high, severe, off-ball hits?

I tend to think it's 2018, people should know better now, why bother with second chances?

Bit harsh on our leagues tribunal jo172. I think we all agree that they have handed out penalties in recent years on the harsher end of the scale compared to previous standards but that we all applaud their stance. Assuming first offence for the TTG player then 8 games seems about right considering it was a concussion injury and no broken face. A fair chance that Victorian bloke had a previous record which may have contributed to dishing out 16 games plus a weekend in hospital with a badly broken jaw for the victim probably means the incident was worth double the penalty.

I realise I may have a minority (even solitary) view. But I tend to think anything high/behind play/severe should get you the automatic 12 for life. Don't care first offence.

My post comes off as a criticism of the tribunal itself which is unintended and i retract. More the guidelines which we as a league accept. Why don't we have a guideline saying that the guideline for some conduct is an automatic life ban? Why are we relying on areas of discretion when instead we could have an instant deterrent?

Totally agree those kind of acts don't deserve second chances, no sport in the world including MMA would allow such thuggery as seen on that Vic league video. Those guys who carry themselves on the field like that are the minority and should be dealt with accordingly with life bans to make footy leagues safe for the vast majority of players out there for the right reasons
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat May 05, 2018 9:04 am

Why would you let a bloke with a fitted tracking bracelet play for your club in the first place? If that’s not a prior warning of their potential onfield behaviour then I don’t know what is!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LMA » Sat May 05, 2018 9:20 am

Especially if the reason for the bracelet is due to an assault type incident, opens the club and league up for a liability suit
Last edited by LMA on Sat May 05, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Mr Beefy » Sat May 05, 2018 9:21 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Why would you let a bloke with a fitted tracking bracelet play for your club in the first place? If that’s not a prior warning of their potential onfield behaviour then I don’t know what is!
To help them re-integrate into society, to give them another chance at life.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 am

Don't agree with that myself. A bloke on Home D or wearing a tracker has many other ways to reintegrate than playing one of the most openly physical sports on the planet against other members of the general public. Even if he volunteered for the club. All it takes is one instance during a match to put him or someone else in a very difficult position. Reckless by his football club in my opinion. There is a time when they could play him again no doubt, but not when he's serving some sort of punishment.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Sat May 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Meanwhile back in Div 1, ROCS smash TTG by about 70 points. Dominant all over the ground.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby jo172 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Who ended up coaching Uni? Impressive start given they lost some important players
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat May 05, 2018 9:29 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Don't agree with that myself. A bloke on Home D or wearing a tracker has many other ways to reintegrate than playing one of the most openly physical sports on the planet against other members of the general public. Even if he volunteered for the club. All it takes is one instance during a match to put him or someone else in a very difficult position. Reckless by his football club in my opinion. There is a time when they could play him again no doubt, but not when he's serving some sort of punishment.

Wow jump to conclusions much, he could be on home d for fraud or the like for all you know.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Don't agree with that myself. A bloke on Home D or wearing a tracker has many other ways to reintegrate than playing one of the most openly physical sports on the planet against other members of the general public. Even if he volunteered for the club. All it takes is one instance during a match to put him or someone else in a very difficult position. Reckless by his football club in my opinion. There is a time when they could play him again no doubt, but not when he's serving some sort of punishment.

Wow jump to conclusions much, he could be on home d for fraud or the like for all you know.

Yep and the result proves my point on this occasion.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Yep and the result proves my point on this occasion.

No it doesnt, not one bit.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby teamdefense2017 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Craig Smith was appointed coach of Uni.
teamdefense2017

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 am

Everyone deserves a chance to play their part in society, they go to jail to be rehabilitated for their actions, football is the outlet to many that are released back into the community.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Everyone deserves a chance to play their part in society, they go to jail to be rehabilitated for their actions, football is the outlet to many that are released back into the community.

Does this still happen?
DCS - SAAFL Prisoner Umpiring program
Partnering with the South Australian Amateur Football League (SAAFL) the department has developed a program to engage prisoners as SAAFL Umpires.

This program aims to contribute to the rehabilitation of prisoners and to address the shortage of umpires available to officiate local games. One of the most significant factors that can contribute to a reduction in an offender’s risk of re-offending is the establishment of pro-social connections in the community.

This program provides an opportunity for prisoners to establish positive relationships and participation in the program may also help to build positive skills and encourage further training and enhanced employment opportunities upon release.

The program was established and implemented in a manner which ensured sustainability.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Q. » Fri May 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Alex Forster sighted at PNU this week. Strong rumour that Kristian Roocke will join him at the Falcs to bolster their second half of the season.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League