Bomber Thompson arrested

Talk on the national game

Re: Bomber Thompson arrested

Postby Grenville » Wed May 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:
locky801 wrote:https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/mark-thompson-reportedly-arrested-and-charged-with-drug-offences

Sad news, obviously all the pressure got to him

If you believe all the talk this has been a long time coming.
There was talk many years ago that he was involved when Stokes got busted and even people at Geelong commented that at times he was aloof and would miss trainings from time to time.
He rocked up absolutely whacked at our presentation night the year he coached and then there are the dodgy property deals and numerous dealings with bikies over the journey. As Benny said he was cooked on AFL360 most of the time

I remember listening on SEN to the replay of his speech at The Bombers presentation, as you said Jim he was off his nana.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm

As Jim has said he's been off the rails for a long long time nothing to do with the Essenondon saga.
At Geelong he alledgedly had an affair with a players girlfriend, not sure if he was married at the time but she was certainly with one of his players. 'Absolutely no sympathy from me and he should do time.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Grenville » Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:As Jim has said he's been off the rails for a long long time nothing to do with the Essenondon saga.
At Geelong he alledgedly had an affair with a players girlfriend, not sure if he was married at the time but she was certainly with one of his players. 'Absolutely no sympathy from me and he should do time.

When this was going on he tried lecturing the players at training about morals, a Cats forward took umbrage and gave him a spray. Didn't go down well.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby mighty hounds » Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Grenville wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:As Jim has said he's been off the rails for a long long time nothing to do with the Essenondon saga.

When this was going on he tried lecturing the players at training about morals, a Cats forward took umbrage and gave him a spray. Didn't go down well.

Who was it Grenville?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Grenville » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Who was it Grenville?

Kent Kingsley.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Q. » Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Q. wrote:It's more abundant and cheaper than ever

You think it'll be harder to get and more expensive if it was legalised?

Do we want to limit access and increase the price? Or actually solve the problem of drug addiction?

When someone is willing to rob a petrol station after already selling everything they have just to feed a habit, the "threat" of a criminal conviction for drug use aint going to do shit other than put these people further into a spiral.

The price is also moot. As one drug goes up in price, people find a cheaper alternative. The cheaper the product, usually the more dangerous the ingredients - again, causing more issues.

How does legalising it help solve the problem of drug addiction?
Like you said the price of it is almost irrelevant and making it easier to access(even thought it's easy already) won't fix that problem.

Two-fold economic effect. Criminal justice system uses less resources/funding + State income stream -> $$$ diverted to treatment programs.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:Drug trafficking wouldn't exist if we treated drug addiction as a health problem and legalised and regulated it's provision.

Legalise ice?

Jeebus...

Absolutely.

How are the current methods of control going?

It's be proven, pretty much categorically, that regulation is the best method of reducing drug use, and that in fact, the criminalisation of drugs *exacerbates* their use.

Maybe Mr Dutarte has it right in the Philippines
Tens of thousands of people have died, many innocent, many children, in his war on drugs.

Thats a really poor post, to be honest.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 am

Q. wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:
You think it'll be harder to get and more expensive if it was legalised?

Do we want to limit access and increase the price? Or actually solve the problem of drug addiction?

When someone is willing to rob a petrol station after already selling everything they have just to feed a habit, the "threat" of a criminal conviction for drug use aint going to do shit other than put these people further into a spiral.

The price is also moot. As one drug goes up in price, people find a cheaper alternative. The cheaper the product, usually the more dangerous the ingredients - again, causing more issues.

How does legalising it help solve the problem of drug addiction?
Like you said the price of it is almost irrelevant and making it easier to access(even thought it's easy already) won't fix that problem.

Two-fold economic effect. Criminal justice system uses less resources/funding + State income stream -> $$$ diverted to treatment programs.
Control the supply, control the dose = No more overdoses
Ability to ween
Ability to monitor health
Ability to put in place mitigation programs
Tax revenue - See Cigarettes and Alcohol
More money = more treatment programs
Crime reduction
No more shanking people in alleys for your fix
Black market and trafficking disappears
As Q. mentioned, less load on criminal system

There is this myth I think, that drug addicts are somehow strolling through the daisies, having a grand old time, getting high like it’s the 60’s at Woodstock. That is simply not reality. When used by people that are dependent and addicted, they are more often than not using drugs as an escape – from a mental health issue, poverty or abuse …

By installing a legalised system, you increase the ability to solve the problem that is causing them to want to take drugs, rather than treating the outcome. By criminalising it, you’re just making the problems that makes them want to take drugs, worse.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:[quote="morell"]Drug trafficking wouldn't exist if we treated drug addiction as a health problem and legalised and regulated it's provision.

Legalise ice?

Jeebus...

Absolutely.

It's be proven, pretty much categorically, that regulation is the best method of reducing drug use, and that in fact, the criminalisation of drugs *exacerbates* their use.

Tens of thousands of people have died, many innocent, many children, in his war on drugs.

Thats a really poor post, to be honest.[/quote]
In every war there is collateral damage. Manila is a far safer place to visit now than it once was thanks to him. I feel far safer walking the streets of Manila at 3am than I do Adelaide and if that means a few drug users or traffickers have to bite the bullet so to speak I’m comfortable with that.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:32 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:Absolutely.

In every war there is collateral damage. Manila is a far safer place to visit now than it once was thanks to him. I feel far safer walking the streets of Manila at 3am than I do Adelaide and if that means a few drug users or traffickers have to bite the bullet so to speak I’m comfortable with that.

We have a very different moral compass, then.

You think it's ok to murder innocent people so there is a perception of safety?

Well ****, I feel unsafe after a Norwood game on the parade. Might start gunning down some eastern suburbs types.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="morell"]
Absolutely.

You think it's ok to murder innocent people so people have a perception of safety?

Well ****, I feel unsafe after a Norwood game on the parade. Might start gunning down some eastern suburbs types.[/quote]
It’s not just a perception though. Knowing many people who live over there they all love him and what he is doing for their country. They had a massive problem over there and finally someone is doing something about it. And yes I’m a strong advocate of corporal punishment
Jim05
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:40 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:Tens of thousands of people have died, many innocent, many children, in his war on drugs.

You think it's ok to murder innocent people so people have a perception of safety?

Well ****, I feel unsafe after a Norwood game on the parade. Might start gunning down some eastern suburbs types.

It’s not just a perception though. Knowing many people who live over there they all love him and what he is doing for their country. They had a massive problem over there and finally someone is doing something about it. And yes I’m a strong advocate of corporal punishment
It's a funny thing, perception.

It's not working, at all. But I'm pleased you have some personal anecdotes.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-phil ... SKBN19G05D
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="morell"]Tens of thousands of people have died, many innocent, many children, in his war on drugs.

It's a funny thing, perception.

It's not working, at all. But I'm pleased you have some personal anecdotes.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-phil ... SKBN19G05D[/quote]
As you said perception is a funny thing. People over there feel safer and they will vote with their feet at the next election so as long they are happy with him I’m not sure they care what outsiders think. The majority of people I’ve encountered over there almost worship him
Jim05
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am

Jim05 wrote:As you said perception is a funny thing. People over there feel safer and they will vote with their feet at the next election so as long they are happy with him I’m not sure they care what outsiders think. The majority of people I’ve encountered over there almost worship him
Respondents also reported a 6.3 percent rise in street robberies and break-ins. More than half of those polled said they were afraid to venture out at night, a proportion that had barely changed since the drug war began, said Laroza.

“People still have this fear when it comes to their neighborhoods,” he said. “It has not gone down.”

Public and police perceptions of crime levels seem to diverge.

Perception is a funny thing.

I find that if people rely on their own echo chamber and anecdotal evidence, it can be dramatically wrong.
morell
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 am

Time for the media to leave him alone and let this one play out in court, sitting outside his house for the next 3 weeks ain't good for anyone involved.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:08 am

morell wrote:
Control the supply, control the dose = No more overdoses
Ability to ween
Ability to monitor health
Ability to put in place mitigation programs
Tax revenue - See Cigarettes and Alcohol
More money = more treatment programs
Crime reduction
No more shanking people in alleys for your fix
Black market and trafficking disappears
As Q. mentioned, less load on criminal system

There is this myth I think, that drug addicts are somehow strolling through the daisies, having a grand old time, getting high like it’s the 60’s at Woodstock. That is simply not reality. When used by people that are dependent and addicted, they are more often than not using drugs as an escape – from a mental health issue, poverty or abuse …

By installing a legalised system, you increase the ability to solve the problem that is causing them to want to take drugs, rather than treating the outcome. By criminalising it, you’re just making the problems that makes them want to take drugs, worse.

I can understand your reasoning to some degree and we are all wired differently, I just could not bring myself to support legalisation of something that is so horrible and f***'s people up so much, just a walk through Parabanks or the Elizabeth City Centre makes me cringe and people wobbling their head and moving their hands around like the were doing pottery.

Do you think legalising marijuana would help with the ice epidemic?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:08 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:As you said perception is a funny thing. People over there feel safer and they will vote with their feet at the next election so as long they are happy with him I’m not sure they care what outsiders think. The majority of people I’ve encountered over there almost worship him
Respondents also reported a 6.3 percent rise in street robberies and break-ins. More than half of those polled said they were afraid to venture out at night, a proportion that had barely changed since the drug war began, said Laroza.

“People still have this fear when it comes to their neighborhoods,” he said. “It has not gone down.”

I find that if people rely on their own echo chamber and anecdotal evidence, it can be dramatically wrong.

As I said the majority of the people and families we encounter or stay with support him 100% and maintain their towns or villages are far safer. Perception or not our last visit to Manila was the first time in awhile where we were free to leave our hotel and wander the streets at night without military presence. It was not uncommon a few years back to be confined to your hotel at night especially around the MOA and Makatai areas.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:09 am

Dutchy wrote:Time for the media to leave him alone and let this one play out in court, sitting outside his house for the next 3 weeks ain't good for anyone involved.

That's not gonna happen, James Hird was almost suicidal and they thrived on it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

As I said the majority of the people and families we encounter or stay with support him 100% and maintain their towns or villages are far safer. Perception or not our last visit to Manila was the first time in awhile where we were free to leave our hotel and wander the streets at night without military presence. It was not uncommon a few years back to be confined to your hotel at night especially around the MOA and Makatai areas.
Sure.

I don't think a visitor having an improved perception of being safe justifies murdering teenagers.

Especially when the goal of drug dependency and crime reduction isn't actually being achieved.

But, nice white privilege you have there.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:23 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

Sure.

I don't think a visitor having an improved perception of being safe justifies murdering teenagers.

Especially when the goal of drug dependency and crime reduction isn't actually being achieved.

But, nice white privilege you have there.

Did you miss the part where I said local residents? We stay with many locals in small villages and towns over there especially on Panay/Roxas and the majority of them are very happy and believe their areas are much safer. It may not be the case but these people are comfortable with the job he is doing and will overwhelmingly vote for him next election. It’s easy for people to sit over here and pot them but go over there and spend some time with the locals.
Anyway we won’t ever agree on this topic, I think we are too lenient and you think we are too harsh and that’s the way it is
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL