Bomber Thompson arrested

Talk on the national game

Re: Bomber Thompson arrested

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Time for the media to leave him alone and let this one play out in court, sitting outside his house for the next 3 weeks ain't good for anyone involved.

That's not gonna happen, James Hird was almost suicidal and they thrived on it.

There seriously needs to be some media self regulation out there, I guess if there is a death that helps with their news cycle :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Time for the media to leave him alone and let this one play out in court, sitting outside his house for the next 3 weeks ain't good for anyone involved.

That's not gonna happen, James Hird was almost suicidal and they thrived on it.

There seriously needs to be some media self regulation out there, I guess if there is a death that helps with their news cycle :roll:

I said the same thing to the Mrs last night. 60 minutes, just ran a story on bullying young Dolly alerting everyone to the dangers of bullying, then next thing they are camped out on Bombers footsteps doing the harassing and bullying themselves. Disgraceful really.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 am

Jim05 wrote:Anyway we won’t ever agree on this topic, I think we are too lenient and you think we are too harsh and that’s the way it is
Whilst true, when you're talking about people's lives, this is a cop out.

We're not discussing whether strawberry icecream is better than chocolate icecream here. Your sort of thinking, should it be enacted into policy, puts peoples lives at risk. Including many that I care about. It can never ever gain traction here.

Thankfully you're in the vast minority.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 10:33 am

morell wrote:I find that if people rely on their own echo chamber and anecdotal evidence, it can be dramatically wrong.

Dude you might be the worst person on this forum for this, despite what you say otherwise
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Anyway we won’t ever agree on this topic, I think we are too lenient and you think we are too harsh and that’s the way it is

We're not discussing whether strawberry icecream is better than chocolate icecream here. Your sort of thinking, should it be enacted into policy, puts peoples lives at risk. Including many that I care about. It can never ever gain traction here.

You care about junkies and drug dealers?
I’ve made no secret I’m a massive advocate of corporal punishment and believe all crimes such as murder, paedophilia or drug trafficking should be punished by death
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bum Crack » Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 am

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:I find that if people rely on their own echo chamber and anecdotal evidence, it can be dramatically wrong.

Dude you might be the worst person on this forum for this, despite what you say otherwise

I was about to say the same thing. I just skip past his comments now.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am

bennymacca wrote:

We are all victims of it. And it's getting harder and harder to avoid.

But. I make a concerted effort to reinforce my opinions with non anecdotal non biased evidence. And at risk of sounding like a knob, take pride in it.

If there is evidence out there that the war on drugs has been successful and/legalising it hadn't been - post it. If I post some you feel needs corroboration, tell me.

Thus far it's been "I know someone over there and they told me" or "I felt safer".
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 03, 2018 10:39 am

The current method of policing drugs isn't working, simple as that.

What's going to be the best way going forward? Who knows, but change needs to take place.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 03, 2018 10:39 am

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

We are all victims of it. And it's getting harder and harder to avoid.

But. I make a concerted effort to reinforce my opinions with non anecdotal non biased evidence. And at risk of sounding like a knob, take pride in it.

If there is evidence out there that the war on drugs has been successful and/legalising it hadn't been - post it. If I post some you feel needs corroboration, tell me.

Thus far it's been "I know someone over there and they told me" or "I felt safer".

Risk assessment not a strong point then? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

You care about junkies and drug dealers?
I’ve made no secret I’m a massive advocate of corporal punishment and believe all crimes such as murder, paedophilia or drug trafficking should be punished by death
Absolutely I do. Under a regime like Duarte I would have likely lost two of my siblings to state sanctioned murder.

As I said, we have very different moral compasses.

Also as I said, thankful you're in the vast minority.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 am

Dutchy wrote:

Yep, vultures.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:42 am

Booney wrote:The current method of policing drugs isn't working, simple as that.

What's going to be the best way going forward? Who knows, but change needs to take place.

Correct!

Honestly it's like Bart and the cupcake.

The war on drugs has been one of the world's most monumental **** ups and is was and always will be an abject failure.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 am

Mythical Creature wrote:
I said the same thing to the Mrs last night. 60 minutes, just ran a story on bullying young Dolly alerting everyone to the dangers of bullying, then next thing they are camped out on Bombers footsteps doing the harassing and bullying themselves. Disgraceful really.

I don't watch news or documentary's but the missus made me watch that as it hit close to home and having a teenage daughter she felt that I should get in touch with what occurs nowadays, it was very compelling viewing.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:46 am

And to refute bennymacca further.

I used to be staunchly anti legalising drugs. Vehemently so.

Changed my mind after researching it extensively.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu May 03, 2018 10:48 am

Jim05 wrote:In every war there is collateral damage. Manila is a far safer place to visit now than it once was thanks to him. I feel far safer walking the streets of Manila at 3am than I do Adelaide and if that means a few drug users or traffickers have to bite the bullet so to speak I’m comfortable with that.

I don't think genocide of urban poor is the answer. Let's not model ourselves on a maniac running a banana republic.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

I don't watch news or documentary's but the missus made me watch that as it hit close to home and having a teenage daughter she felt that I should get in touch with what occurs nowadays, it was very compelling viewing.

Exactly, and I have it all in front of me with a 6 and nearly 4 year old.
The media are being definite bullies towards Thompson, hounding him with questions on his doorstep. I mean the matter is before the courts, as if he is or can say anything anyway. Report the story that he has been arrested, show some old footage of him coaching/playing whatever, then move on to next story.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby MW » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

There is a lot of big words in this thread...I'm getting edumacated
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 10:52 am

morell wrote:And to refute bennymacca further.

you realise that your method of taking people to task is doing the exact opposite of your intention thought right?

I am on your side somewhat - i dont agree with corporal punishment and i think decriminalising possession could be a good thing. same with legalising marijuana and some of the other lower level drugs. but i also have zero sympathy for trafficking.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 am

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:And to refute bennymacca further.

you realise that your method of taking people to task is doing the exact opposite of your intention thought right?

I am on your side somewhat - i dont agree with corporal punishment and i think decriminalising possession could be a good thing. same with legalising marijuana and some of the other lower level drugs. but i also have zero sympathy for trafficking.

No, I do not realise that. Someone spoke to me when I was in my 20s in a very similar way that I am posting on this topic and it altered my world view. I am literally posting the opposite to what the group think would be. That might be seen as polarising, I see it as educational.

Good stuff. I knew you were a clever man.
morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 11:00 am

your way of "educating" is extremely grating and makes people turn off straight away - even if your argument has merit
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL