State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am

beef wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.
Also if you watch 70s and 80s ball ups and throw ins the ball is put back into play immediately by the umpire no waiting for 5 to 10secs for 32 players to get there. If they change no rules at least go back to this so there's little time to set up defensively

Apparently Buckley said he would like prior opportunity to go altogether. I think that will just make players not want to go and get the ball, wait for opponent to get it then tackle him

I think the team prior opportunity is a great idea. It is also a small tweak to the rules, not a major one like some of the others suggested, and it could have a huge positive impact on the game.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 10:42 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Yeah, but that's about the AFL's ego.

You say that like it's something that can be removed easily enough :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 10:45 am

bennymacca wrote:
beef wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.
Also if you watch 70s and 80s ball ups and throw ins the ball is put back into play immediately by the umpire no waiting for 5 to 10secs for 32 players to get there. If they change no rules at least go back to this so there's little time to set up defensively

Apparently Buckley said he would like prior opportunity to go altogether. I think that will just make players not want to go and get the ball, wait for opponent to get it then tackle him

I think the team prior opportunity is a great idea. It is also a small tweak to the rules, not a major one like some of the others suggested, and it could have a huge positive impact on the game.

Until the coaches work out how to use it best, same with any change. The professional era has brought about some problems that imho will always plague the game. Was interesting in the forum last night Sellers bringing up the "Athlete vs natural Footballer" argument that's been done for the last 20-30 years.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am

potentially true

im just against drastic change, so tinkering, like they have been doing with the rules for ages, is something that im definitely open to. as opposed to zones or lowering the amount of players on the field, etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

bennymacca wrote:potentially true

im just against drastic change, so tinkering, like they have been doing with the rules for ages, is something that im definitely open to. as opposed to zones or lowering the amount of players on the field, etc

I look at it the same - Tinkering or even tightening of rules already in place, is always the best place to start. Re-assess after that,
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:58 am

In the
JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
beef wrote:

Until the coaches work out how to use it best, same with any change. The professional era has brought about some problems that imho will always plague the game. Was interesting in the forum last night Sellers bringing up the "Athlete vs natural Footballer" argument that's been done for the last 20-30 years.

In regards to the athlete and the game getting quicker, the query occurred to me over the weekend that may the game has just got too quick, ie those chansing, for the simple mechanics of dropping and kicking the ball. Now that wouldn't account for poor skills in all situations unless it has unconsciously altered a players technique
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Bandit » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 am

If there were less players around the ball to compete for the ball after the tap, wouldn't there be more risk having a third man up?

Keep the rule but no need to nominate... blind freddy can see if two people from the same team go up. Just pay a free kick if that happens. This also removes the joke of a situation where only one ruckman contests.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 am

Bandit wrote:
If there were less players around the ball to compete for the ball after the tap, wouldn't there be more risk having a third man up?

Keep the rule but no need to nominate... blind freddy can see if two people from the same team go up. Just pay a free kick if that happens. This also removes the joke of a situation where only one ruckman contests.

I don't think anyone has died from third man up, I don't see a problem with it, it disadvantages your team as you have less players at ground level to take possession.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 am

Yeah, that would have been the simple, sensible thing right from the start.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby saintal » Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 am

Not sure what the solutions are but I hope we see a shift in game style, as it's a chore to watch most games currently. St Kilda matches are nearly unwatchable (yes, I know we're junk).

Agree that umpires being more proactive in throwing the ball up could help, and lot letting a rugby like scrum develop while players drop the ball like a hot potato.

Glad it's starting to get some wider attention, rather than the AFL-trained media spruiking how great everything is as tends to be the norm.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bandit wrote:

I don't think anyone has died from third man up, I don't see a problem with it, it disadvantages your team as you have less players at ground level to take possession.

Agree completely mate. However if they continue to be against it, then I like Bandit's common sense approach.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bandit wrote:

It’s probably created more congestion as the third man up would often belt it a fair way forward.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bandit wrote:

It’s probably created more congestion as the third man up would often belt it a fair way forward.

And create a -1 or +1 in the contest to help or hinder ball movement.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm

beef wrote:

I agree with Buckley. Get rid of prior opportunity it just provides grey areas which are harder to umpire. If you get caught and don't dispose of it, you're gone. If it gets jolted free in tackle, play on.

Back to your point, prior opportunity wasn't heard of till the 2000's and plenty of players still went and got it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:21 pm

The game will change.
Just need a club to fully support a coach with an attacking mindset.
Remember Geelong had the same gameplan under Bomber basically from start to finish and it took 6yrs for it to impact.

The AFL stopped 3rd man up....not sure why??
Umpires need to be quicker in the ball ups and just throw it up and boundary - get it back into play.
This nomination is just ******* bullshit.

Get rid of the stupid 15 seconds for a shot on goal. Just time it like they do other marks around the ground.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby LMA » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Chopping the arms needs to go, need to promote strong hands in the contest again. I also don't like players getting pinged for putting hands in the back to hold their ground, stronger players are getting penalised. The 50m for entering a protected area MUST go, ridiculously harsh penalty. Whatever changes are made if any, take as much grey area interpretation away from the umps as possible
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Anyone else notice BT was all over how long it took an umpire to put the ball back into play in the 1st quarter?
He didnt say boo about it for the last 3 quarters.
We got no hope. The AFL runs the media and will steer it in the direction they want. Faster ball ups is obviously not one of them
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:03 am

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone else notice BT was all over how long it took an umpire to put the ball back into play in the 1st quarter?
We got no hope. The AFL runs the media and will steer it in the direction they want. Faster ball ups is obviously not one of them

Only a matter of time before a 'footy show' shows the time comparisons for ball ups, throw ins from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even the 00s....
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Anyone else notice BT was all over how long it took an umpire to put the ball back into play in the 1st quarter?

Only a matter of time before a 'footy show' shows the time comparisons for ball ups, throw ins from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even the 00s....

It will be the theme of next weeks shows.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:11 am

Before Gill tells them to shut up!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL