State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:05 pm

The AFL **** up the game then throws their hands up asking what's wrong with the game.

"you took the jam out of my doughnut Tommy, you did"

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Sat May 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Sub-standard skills a bigger problem than the congestion imho
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 pm

JK wrote:Sub-standard skills a bigger problem than the congestion imho

Spot on mate. Two teams too many. Essendon the worst in the league at the moment.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat May 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Yeah the skills arent fantastic but i think we under estimate the pressure the players are under and the margin for error is so small in todays passing when picking your way through zones. Im more with Chirs Scott than Garry Lyon on this issue.
We have to reduce conjestion anyway we can, all 36 players within 60-70 m is just crap football and you expect them to find a target or make some space.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Spot on mate. Two teams too many. Essendon the worst in the league at the moment.

regards,

REB

No arguments there. Our skills have gone backwards. Too many players can’t do the basics.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby heater31 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Would adopting the SANFL out of bounds rules fix all of this?

Believe the AFL have been keeping an eye on the data.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby LMA » Sat May 05, 2018 8:23 pm

heater31 wrote:Would adopting the SANFL out of bounds rules fix all of this?

I'm all for it. Makes players accountable for poor skills and takes it away from the umpires. I would go one step further and let the player be able to dispose of the ball that has gone out of bounds straight away without an umpire setting a mark, currently it's the only free where the players can't play on to advantage
Last edited by LMA on Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby JK » Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Yeah the skills arent fantastic but i think we under estimate the pressure the players are under and the margin for error is so small in todays passing when picking your way through zones. Im more with Chirs Scott than Garry Lyon on this issue.
We have to reduce conjestion anyway we can, all 36 players within 60-70 m is just crap football and you expect them to find a target or make some space.

Yeah that's a fair shout, but uncontested marks being dropped, loose targets being missed, inaccuracy from set shot goslkicking (which isn't new but seems to be worse) - Reckon if those things were improved the congestion wouldn't seem as bad as it does.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Carlton say hi
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11842 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Spargo » Sun May 06, 2018 12:01 am

Well I’m pretty f#cking happy with the state of things ATM.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Carlton say hi

We dont have to wait long to settle this argument, the blockbuster Carlton v Essendon is next week.

Will be a good test for the "state of the game" next week. Roughly the top 10 will be playing each other so we should have 5 good games, if Geelong/GWS is nothing to go by.
1st good Friday night game of the year, AFL have been way to quick to burn the Hawks on Friday night footy, still consistently offer some of the best footy to watch just as much as anyone else but then again Friday night isnt about the spectacle its about tv ratings across the country hence we cop Carlton 5 times
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 am

The third man up rule has certainly impacted on congestion.

Firstly, the umpire takes 10-15 seconds to work out who is going to contest the ruck as two ruckman wave at him, secondly taking the third man up out of the equation ensures even numbers around the contest, no +1 / -1 to aid one side or allow the third man up to knock the ball clear of the contest.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon May 07, 2018 12:02 pm

LMA wrote:Chopping the arms needs to go, need to promote strong hands in the contest again. I also don't like players getting pinged for putting hands in the back to hold their ground, stronger players are getting penalised. The 50m for entering a protected area MUST go, ridiculously harsh penalty. Whatever changes are made if any, take as much grey area interpretation away from the umps as possible

Know what you're trying to get at LMA, but there's a little bit of an inconsistency there. Whilst, like you, I'd like to see the first two umpired more feel for the game, I can understand the AFL's logic in the way they have set the interpretations to get rid of as much grey area for the umpires as possible.

For those reasons I'd give them 6/10 for introducing those interpretations. For the protection of the head rules they've made 9/10, just need to work through the players taking on the onus to protect themselves. For all other rule changes an interpretation since and including the change to 20 minutes quarters, I'm struggling to think of any that have improved the game or there was a reasonable rationale for.

Another one I hate, and it's more the symbolism than the effect on the play, is when a player takes a good pack/contested mark, but a free to his teammate takes precedence.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm

We have been using it in the SFL this year, even in the juniors, and its not as bad as I thought it would be. Instead of a short throw in into congestion you have a 40-60m kick to a target or space.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:

We have been using it in the SFL this year, even in the juniors, and its not as bad as I thought it would be. Instead of a short throw in into congestion you have a 40-60m kick to a target or space.

While I agree with what your saying I think at AFL the tactic will be a bit different and teams will look to slingshot to the other side, go backwards etc. I don't think to many teams at AFL will potentially give the ball back by kicking to a contest 40-60m up the ground.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:04 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

While I agree with what your saying I think at AFL the tactic will be a bit different and teams will look to slingshot to the other side, go backwards etc. I don't think to many teams at AFL will potentially give the ball back by kicking to a contest 40-60m up the ground.
Cut off the 45 and cover the spread and they wont have an option but to go down the line.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby whufc » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

heater31 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Cut off the 45 and cover the spread and they wont have an option but to go down the line.

Not that its a bad thing but if it comes in at AFL level it will be a major part of the game. The professional / full time players and coaches won't simply see a huge change in rules and sit back and go 'let's just kick down the line to a contest'

If it does come in the teams that can adapt and create clear passages out will be very very very successful early doors imho.

While it hasn't had a huge effect on the SANFL and not necessarily a bad affect if any, the AFL teams have more, time and resources to 'nail' that part of the game. Throw in the fact that with such big crowds I reckon the ball will come back into a play a lot quicker more often. If the ball goes over the fence in the SANFL it generally takes a good 10-15 seconds to come back due to lack of crowd. That won't be the case in the AFL.

I'm not against it in the AFL I'm interested to know what dynamic it adds and how teams adapt to it.

I reckon the ones who end up just kicking the ball 50m up the field will get left behind.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Loved Chris Judds suggestion of scrapping percentage. He wants to just have points for counted. Would promote heavier scoring in some respects. Obviously coaches would still put 4 points first but we might find a better balance between attack and defence
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Loved Chris Judds suggestion of scrapping percentage. He wants to just have points for counted. Would promote heavier scoring in some respects. Obviously coaches would still put 4 points first but we might find a better balance between attack and defence

I think it would have a negative affect, once a team can't win they will call "uncle" and get smashed. End up with 14 on the field to minimize injury risk.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Loved Chris Judds suggestion of scrapping percentage. He wants to just have points for counted. Would promote heavier scoring in some respects. Obviously coaches would still put 4 points first but we might find a better balance between attack and defence

I think it would have a negative affect, once a team can't win they will call "uncle" and get smashed. End up with 14 on the field to minimize injury risk.

They wouldnt want to give opposition free points would they? They may end up level on wins with that team at the end of the season
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL