SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: AdFl Junior codes

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am

Ive been involved in junior footy from u8's to u15's over the past 9 years and currently involved in 2 age groups.

In the last couple of years I have seen a noticeable change for the worse in parent attitudes towards their kids behaviour and also volunteering at footy (BBQ/Canteen/goal umpiring/Team Manager/Coordinators/TIme keeping)

I strongly believe the next generation in parents have been brought up in the new world where everyone gets an award for participation and everyone feels entitled. Ive heard teachers say similar things which confirm my thoughts.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all parents as there are also some excellent ones out there, but there is a new wave of parental thinking/behaviour out there in society which flows onto community sport.

We had an incident in the u12's last week involving a club that has now moved into the AdFL, one kid hit one of our players in the head, our kid retaliated and they both correctly got sent off, the kid spat the dummy and wouldn't even return to the field once his 10 minutes was up. Their coach and co-ordinator were excellent however, they couldn't apologise more and did not condone the behaviour one bit, cause of this the game continued on in a positive environment and all kids finished the game in a positive manner despite one ugly incident. It was a very powerful lesson for the other 35 odd kids who witnessed the incident.

This was an example of how important having the right people coaching/coordinating kids sport is IMO, the kids and parents either conform to their standards or they are not welcome at the club, sadly I'm seeing parents (mostly who don't volunteer either) have more influence over clubs and drive their agenda's which spreads like a disease if not managed correctly.

There are numerous coaching sessions and training the SANFL/CFL offer, once the coach has been appointed, I strongly believe they need to be more proactive (and even help) clubs go about being much more selective in appointing a junior coach, not just appointing a parent who puts their hand up.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 am

Seems to be a trend with incidents in U12's :lol: Hormones?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Pag » Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 am

The Bedge wrote:Seems to be a trend with incidents in U12's :lol: Hormones?

No coincidence. I teach kids who play Under 12s and Under 13s and the combination of the 'my kid does no wrong' attitude from parents, and the kids have gotten to the age where they are now smart enough to exploit their parents thinking, plus testosterone developing, means some at that age feel they are above the law.

I couldn't tell you the amount of times I speak to a parent of a student about something their child did that day, that they dismiss because they're child couldn't have done it. Despite me seeing it happen with my own eyes.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 10, 2018 11:04 am

Got to agree with all that Dutchy

My lads coach and team manager are about as good as you can get. Easily 10/10

On that if there are any under 15’s looking for a game we would love to have you. Any skill level or experience, we don’t care. Can PM me and I will put you onto the right people. Really good friendly team and club.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 10, 2018 11:09 am

Brodlach wrote:Got to agree with all that Dutchy

My lads coach and team manager are about as good as you can get. Easily 10/10

On that if there are any under 15’s looking for a game we would love to have you. Any skill level or experience, we don’t care. Can PM me and I will put you onto the right people. Really good friendly team and club.

One of our lads is playing with you guys this Sunday I think.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am

Oh really, that’s great. Be good to have a couple of extra players
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Moe wrote:Didnt quite know where to put this, so I just started a new thread.

Any members involved in any Junior sides this season noticed a growing trend of disturbing behaviour from juniors?

In our under 12's game last week, one of our players was punched and kicked by 3 players behind the play.
He came off and took no further part in the game.
He had 2 days off school with concussion symptoms and wont play this week either.

I have coached now for 6 years and I find the anti social play from seniors is definitely infiltrating junior footy from a very young age.

I am no shrinking violet either.

It's disturbing.

Moe , did you lodge a club report ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
After the game, when the kids were lining up to shake hands he was punching kids in the stomach as he was shaking hands.. the U12’s coach saw this and told him to stop hitting his players - the player then decided to shape up to the coach and being swearing at him informing him he’d smash him :shock:

Where are the kid in question parent's in all of this? Nowhere to be ******* seen I bet.

Does the 12 game suspension de-registration apply in juniors?

Sorry Heater that like was a mistake, but on subject the said player and parents need to be counselled and monitored .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Did a north east metro league game get abandoned this year due to incidents like this? Older age group.

All junior metro leagues amalgamated to come under the SANFL banner, they are predominantly split north and south at this point of time but will eventually be graded to skill level across the board I'm led to believe.

Not all metro leagues, SFL and HFL are still separate
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Did a north east metro league game get abandoned this year due to incidents like this? Older age group.

All junior metro leagues amalgamated to come under the SANFL banner, they are predominantly split north and south at this point of time but will eventually be graded to skill level across the board I'm led to believe.

Not all metro leagues, SFL and HFL are still separate

or KNTFL
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Wouldn't call any of those metro
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Had a doozie on Sunday in an under 13 match, I went goal umpire and before the game I seen an umpire that I've done a few games with and he also used to teach my son at school so I just had a bit of a chat with them waiting to take my spot.

Quarter time and the opposing team manager came out and was having a whinge about a few players and what they had said etc. I've umpired her team before and she's a perennial pain in the arse for it, half time was the same, a lad had fallen over near the boundary just before the siren and when the umpire asked what happened "Oh, he got kicked to the ground" she replied, I chimed in with "na, I was watching, I'm pretty sure someone shot him" as I walked away.

The second half our team was crucified, the opposition could do no wrong (despite that team having history), we kicked away and won easily and there was a bit of late bumps and crap going on to which the umps let go too long, in the end one of our players was ripped to the ground no way near the play, as he was on the way down he pulled the other lad with him but only our lad was sent off.

I couldn't help but say something after the game and the umpire got the shits on with me, I said "if you're going to act on every little whinge that a team manager makes when they're losing you guys are in for a long painful year".

As an ump, you listen, you say "we'll keep an eye on it" as it was, she told the umps at quarter time that #23 was being dirty and they killed him every time he went near the ball, after the game I heard her say "sorry, it wasn't 23 it was 20"

People should learn to shut up and let the umps umpire, the kids play, I always sit alone at kids games, I hate the way parents barrack (either side), to me you sit there and clap your teams goals, encourage your own child and applaud exceptional bits of play regardless of what guernsey they are wearing.

Not many do this.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:Wouldn't call any of those metro

Thought the same thing
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I took a hands off approach with umpires as a junior coach. Setting a good example and all that. One day at Gepps Cross after I thought we were having a bad run with the Umps I asked the team manager to count the free kicks. 23-1 for the rest of the game. I remain befuddled .
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 10, 2018 2:09 pm

jo172 wrote:I took a hands off approach with umpires as a junior coach. Setting a good example and all that. One day at Gepps Cross after I thought we were having a bad run with the Umps I asked the team manager to count the free kicks. 23-1 for the rest of the game. I remain befuddled .

Yep, I've learnt form both sides of the fence it works to your favour to say nothing, if you think they did a good job, let them know after the game.

It's good as an umpire to see the losing coach jog over to you and say "well done".

I have umpired with other umps that have told me straight out before the game "I hate ................, they're a horrible club", it's all bullshit, there's good and bad apples in every club.

I must say, in my experiences I always found Walkerville and Broadview to have excellent junior coaches and team managers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu May 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Had a doozie on Sunday in an under 13 match, I went goal umpire and before the game I seen an umpire that I've done a few games with and he also used to teach my son at school so I just had a bit of a chat with them waiting to take my spot.

Quarter time and the opposing team manager came out and was having a whinge about a few players and what they had said etc. I've umpired her team before and she's a perennial pain in the arse for it, half time was the same, a lad had fallen over near the boundary just before the siren and when the umpire asked what happened "Oh, he got kicked to the ground" she replied, I chimed in with "na, I was watching, I'm pretty sure someone shot him" as I walked away.

The second half our team was crucified, the opposition could do no wrong (despite that team having history), we kicked away and won easily and there was a bit of late bumps and crap going on to which the umps let go too long, in the end one of our players was ripped to the ground no way near the play, as he was on the way down he pulled the other lad with him but only our lad was sent off.

I couldn't help but say something after the game and the umpire got the shits on with me, I said "if you're going to act on every little whinge that a team manager makes when they're losing you guys are in for a long painful year".

As an ump, you listen, you say "we'll keep an eye on it" as it was, she told the umps at quarter time that #23 was being dirty and they killed him every time he went near the ball, after the game I heard her say "sorry, it wasn't 23 it was 20"

People should learn to shut up and let the umps umpire, the kids play, I always sit alone at kids games, I hate the way parents barrack (either side), to me you sit there and clap your teams goals, encourage your own child and applaud exceptional bits of play regardless of what guernsey they are wearing.

Not many do this.

that's why I goal umpired my lad as well as no one is allowed to stand next to the goal umpire, as some of the U/7 & U/8 parents are absolutely crazy
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Executive Member wrote:
that's why I goal umpired my lad as well as no one is allowed to stand next to the goal umpire, as some of the U/7 & U/8 parents are absolutely crazy

Then grandma comes along to one game for the year and thinks footy is all about abusing the umpire.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

Then grandma comes along to one game for the year and thinks footy is all about abusing the umpire.

didn't know you were at the game my mum came to :lol:
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Maybe in 1956...

You will find City of Onkaparinga, City of Marion, Adelaide Hills Council and City of Mitcham are all Metropolitan councils
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby heater31 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Maybe in 1956...

You will find City of Onkaparinga, City of Marion, Adelaide Hills Council and City of Mitcham are all Metropolitan councils
Yet the SANFL count them as country......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League