Ross Lyon payout over harassment claim

Talk on the national game

Re: Ross Lyon payout over harassment claim

Postby Booney » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am

Two different circumstances, two different incidents, two different outcomes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 am

Brodlach wrote:A boss can be sued for saying something that is interpreted in an unintended manner.

What if this girl who reportedly always wore casual clothes to work on a daily basis, was dressed up and Ross said ‘gee you look nice tonight’ Ross means it as a compliment only and she takes it as him coming on to her? Decides to take action. Fair Work would demand some sort of action and generally a payment of some sort is the outcome

Sheesh, I'd be f*****.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

Trader wrote:So are we guessing the lady has dressed up, Lyon has made a comment along the lines of "Geez, you're not half bad when you put some effort in", she's taken offense. Lyon says sorry on the spot, reports to the club in the morning. AFL look at it and say c'mon Ross, you need to be smarter than that and they leave it at that.
Lady still not happy, reports to workcover, Freo slip her 10k to bugger off and that's the end of it.

bennymacca wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
stan wrote:Im just amazed that freo paid a low 5 figure sum to keep someone quiet about an comment made at a christmas party.

What's a low 5 figure mean. $10-40k. What a chance they had to get rid of him for nothing.

Robbo said it was more like 60-80k on 360 tonight

If it was more like the 70k mark Robbo is suggesting, I'd guess it was a little more than a compliment gone wrong.
You wonder if she normally wore shorts and he included some sort of rug muncher reference.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm

I read something that she hasnt worked soince the incident.. So either he said something worse or freo paid her a great deal of money and she hasnt had to work becasue of the payout
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:I read something that she hasnt worked soince the incident.. So either he said something worse or freo paid her a great deal of money and she hasnt had to work becasue of the payout

The longer that she isn't working the more she would've paid out for loss of income, obviously knew there was coin coming.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Spargo » Tue May 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:I read something that she hasnt worked soince the incident.. So either he said something worse or freo paid her a great deal of money and she hasnt had to work becasue of the payout

The longer that she isn't working the more she would've paid out for loss of income, obviously knew there was coin coming.

I’d be very good at doing nothing if I knew a payout was coming...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

......you do that already....but the payout comes weekly... :D
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

......you do that already....but the payout comes weekly... :D

Not to mention the side benefits of the odd back of the van retail outlet event.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Spargo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Steady.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu May 10, 2018 11:53 am

VIDEO has emerged of Fremantle’s boozy club function where Dockers coach Ross Lyon is accused of acting inappropriately towards a female employee.

It follows preliminary reports Fremantle’s board of directors held an emergency meeting on Wednesday night to discuss Lyon’s future.

Veteran Perth reporter Tim Gossage told SEN Breakfast on Thursday there are rumours the club will make an announcement at 9am (local time) to address rumours Lyon’s coaching tenure will be discontinued.

“My phone went off three times last night from 6pm and said there’s an off-site board meeting as we speak to discuss the future of Ross Lyon,” Gossage said.

“I’m not saying that happened, but it just won’t go away and to brutally honest, it’s not being driven by us in Western Australia, we know nothing, it’s almost being driven by the media coming out of Melbourne.

“Yesterday at training he was up and about, he was relaxed, David Mundy spoke about his demeanour and his commitment to the cause.

“I don’t know what to believe. I don’t know who to believe and to be brutally honest something could happen at 9am this morning, you just don’t know.”

He said he’d be “gobsmacked” if Lyon does not continue as coach of the club.

“There were rumours a few days ago that Ross Lyon would be gone within 48 hours, my attitude is that’s not going to happen, but it just won’t go away,” he said.

“I’d be gobsmacked if Ross Lyon is not going to be the coach for the rest of the year and going forward.”

It follows a bombshell report the club organised a hush-money payment of more than $100,000 to a former female staff member which included a non-disclosure agreement, to settle a sexual harassment complaint.

It has also been reported Lyon told the woman he liked the her “budding boobs” during the function. The woman was two-months pregnant.

She has previously claimed she was made to feel sexually harassed by Lyon when the 51-year-old reportedly followed her throughout the event and made a series of inappropriate and crude remarks.

The report claims Lyon was not the first person to report the incident to the club — claiming a female Dockers staff member was the first to inform club officials about Lyon’s behaviour.

It is alleged the club investigated the incident after the woman gave a formal statement.

Lyon reportedly apologised to the woman after the investigation was concluded. It is unclear if any further action was taken by the club.

One of the most eye-catching claims in the report alleges the woman continued to feel harassed and singled out by other unidentified Fremantle staff following Lyon’s apology, prompting her resignation.

It is only then that the woman reportedly made a second complaint, prompting the AFL integrity unit’s own investigation.

It is claimed the woman settled her complaint against the club when a payment of more than $100,000 was made around Christmas time.

However, she continues to feel aggrieved by the way the scandal unfolded under the care of the AFL.

On Thursday The Herald Sun reported video taken at the function captured things said to the woman “in private” conversations on the same night Lyon allegedly harassed the former Dockers staff member.

The report claims a source close to the case saying: “What was said was said in private and is on record. There is video evidence of what happened”.

Another source said: “You couldn’t ask for any more sufficient evidence”.

The footage also reportedly rubbishes early claims the woman had changed into a more revealing outfit after work before the function.

The video evidence reportedly shows the woman dressed in the same clothes she wore to work that day.

Lyon has previously refused to answer questions surrounding the scandal — and again on Wednesday night refused to confirm he is the Fremantle staff member at the centre of the scandal.

Lyon spoke publicly for the first time last week saying the club has acted reasonably within the AFL’s respect and responsibility policy, refusing to comment further.

Lyon is still refusing to comment about the incident, with the club hopeful they can ride through the drama without further damage.

His refusal to address the reports which have identified him as the Fremantle official at the centre of a concluded integrity unit investigation comes after AFL boss Gillon McLachlan came under fire from footy commentators recently for declaring the league is comfortable with hush money being used in harassment cases when a settlement is reached.

In an interview with Channel 7 on Tuesday Lyon again insisted his team remains focused on playing football despite the storm surrounding the club’s handling of the harassment complaint.

“I can’t control the media and what’s been written and said,” Lyon replied when asked if he felt the level of attention had been warranted.

“My focus is on coaching our team well, giving them strong leadership and direction, and I feel like I am doing that.”

Lyon also hit back at the critics who panned his tactics from last week’s AFL loss to Richmond, saying they got it wrong.

AFL great Garry Lyon said Fremantle’s decision to feature a five-man forward line so they could have an extra man in defence was a poor one. The Dockers dominated the clearances (43-23) and hit-outs (57-16), but were smashed by 77 points.

Garry Lyon questioned why the Dockers coach would play five forwards against the best defence in the competition when they were winning the clearances. But Lyon challenged the critics who suggested he chose to play a seven-man defence.

Instead, he said it was a case of the forwards not doing their job well enough. “Well there was no seven-man backline,” Lyon told channel 7.

“Ninety per cent of teams at centre-square bounces start an extra off the back that runs through.

“In this case I think it was Bailey Banfield at the start.

“I heard Garry Lyon’s commentary, and I respect Garry, and he was right - we didn’t have representation in front of the ball consistently. That’s been a focus of our review.

“(But) there was no seven-man defence. It was quite inaccurate.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 pm

He will be a goner, only a matter of time now
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Jim05 wrote:He will be a goner, only a matter of time now

looks terrible for him tbh. you dont pay out 6 figures unless it was pretty damaging
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Trader » Thu May 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Yup, looks really bad.

That said, if he is to go now, after the AFL publicly claimed they were happy before; that reflects badly on the AFL, so don't be surprised if they try and keep him in play.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Trader wrote:Yup, looks really bad.

That said, if he is to go now, after the AFL publicly claimed they were happy before; that reflects badly on the AFL, so don't be surprised if they try and keep him in play.

If the Wilkinson case ( former GC Sun ) has any substance to it the AFL is only going to look worse than they do now and they've already got a bit of smell about them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Joel Wilkinson’s full statement:

I’m here because I don’t want to be silenced any more ... and what has happened has been a continuous breach of human rights.

I have suffered extreme racism during my time in the AFL and post my career from the AFL until this very day.

This intensified when I tried to stop it from occurring and repeatedly occurring to others.

I am here to hold the AFL accountable and stand against injustice.

My career was taken from me, my rights violated due to racism, religious vilification and racially-motivated sexual harassment that I experienced for many years. This is not acceptable in the workplace.

I was very committed and dedicated to my career. It was my passion. My potential was acknowledged by all around me within the AFL.

I look forward to my day in court and the opportunity to contribute towards improving the human rights of players in the back rooms of the AFL. It won’t be happening behind close doors any more.

It seems in recent times the dark works on the inside of the AFL are being revealed and I hope this gives others the courage to come forward.

Let me make it clear: This isn’t a past issue. This is very present, happening now and many players in the system have experiences of racism similar to mine.

This is extremely systematic across the AFL. The AFL enables and acts as the head of this system. The corporate community and public must ask questions.

For many years I continually approached the AFL. I’ve had to keep pushing the issue and it has now led me to here, having to pursue legal action.

Obviously it’s a systemic problem that it took this long to surface. But I have been pushing to have the chance to be acknowledged and racism rectified. Rehabilitation is more than just saying sorry. It’s taken me a long time to reach this point and it seems to me that this behaviour is tolerated in the AFL.

The public face of how the AFL deals with racism is very different. In my experience, the reality is much darker.

In reference to the AFL’s position for many years and their recent statement, it is disrespectful to the gravity of the situation to continually deny my experiences and claim one three-minute video was sufficient to address the situation of gross racism.

It is an insult that is so out of place in the global climate of racism and in the modern workplace.

This is a space of employment and as more black people enter these spaces across the country to not only maintain their livelihood but fulfil their passion and their purpose, they must be protected in employment. They must have the human rights maintained.

And if the AFL, as a national game, cannot be held accountable, then who will be held accountable in this country? What message will that send to the value of black people in these spaces of employment and in greater society?

Our future must be protected.

While there is much more I want to say, for legal reasons I can’t take any questions, but I can direct you to my lawyers if you need anything else.

From this loss of career and suffering, I seek justice.

The world is watching.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/joel-w ... 774e122c99
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm

what is racially motivated sexual harassment?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm

MW wrote:what is racially motivated sexual harassment?

I presume talking about his BBC.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Interesting case

I think it is two different occurrences MW from what I heard Malcolm Blight say last night
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
MW wrote:what is racially motivated sexual harassment?

I presume talking about his BBC.

What is BBC?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I can't wait for the reply....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach