Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:So you have been happy with his output this season?

Don't think there would be many PA supporters that could truthfully say they have been happy with his initial output, but Saturday did show his worth.

Think morell was more taking a swipe at those like you who judged him on his output at SANFL level when he was there simply to get minutes into the legs and find touch.

Be interesting to see if he can continue his weekends efforts regularly moving forward.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby morell » Mon May 14, 2018 2:35 pm

At least you get me Bedgey <3
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Nicks (or Lade?) said last week they erred when selecting him in rounds 1 (69% game time) and 2 (66%) at AFL level when he was a bit under done and he clearly needed the extra game time in the SANFL for a couple of weeks. It showed on Saturday and if not for an amazing 20 minutes from R.Gray would have probably won the Showdown Medal*.

*If Gray didn't play that 20 minutes then Port may not have won and a Crow would have got the medal. But Gray did. And Port won. So yeah. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Sitting in HK at the moment about to board on the way to Beijing. Still buzzing from Saturday night, hopefully we back it up this week. Can't be bothered reviewing Sat night, just an unbelievable ending!
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:Sitting in HK at the moment about to board on the way to Beijing. Still buzzing from Saturday night, hopefully we back it up this week. Can't be bothered reviewing Sat night, just an unbelievable ending!

How is Hell's Kitchen?
Bwahahahaha :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:Sitting in HK at the moment about to board on the way to Beijing. Still buzzing from Saturday night, hopefully we back it up this week. Can't be bothered reviewing Sat night, just an unbelievable ending!

Training drill will be harder than what you will face in Beijing. Will be 100+ win for you guys. Get into the Pier lounge at HK if you can, close to the best airport lounge there is
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 pm

There is 1 thing that hast been raised with the Showdown.
Im fairly confident its the 1st time in years Motlop hasnt tried kicking for goal off the outside of the boot....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Spargo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm

morell wrote:
JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Ryder2Gray left me in a mound of jizz.

Haha brilliant!! I must admit, that combination is an absolute sight to behold
It's stunning.

The other thing people need to be mindful of is the work the other mids do to make it possible too. Watch what Ebert does for that goal. Completely blocks out the goal side and prevents Gibbs from getting to Gray.

Truly selfless team play from him. He does it every week, too.

Fully agree the tap work was 1st class. You’re selling us a pup though if you think Ebert’s block played a part in protecting Gray’s run at goal.
The ball had gone past Gibbs when Gray took possession, hell Gibbs wasn’t even looking in the direction of the play.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am

Proof there are nuffies in all footy supporter circles haha!
8141192D-14C8-4C46-B2DF-CEA73563B651.jpeg
8141192D-14C8-4C46-B2DF-CEA73563B651.jpeg (237.44 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 am

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote:
JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Ryder2Gray left me in a mound of jizz.

Haha brilliant!! I must admit, that combination is an absolute sight to behold
It's stunning.

The other thing people need to be mindful of is the work the other mids do to make it possible too. Watch what Ebert does for that goal. Completely blocks out the goal side and prevents Gibbs from getting to Gray.

Truly selfless team play from him. He does it every week, too.

Fully agree the tap work was 1st class. You’re selling us a pup though if you think Ebert’s block played a part in protecting Gray’s run at goal.
The ball had gone past Gibbs when Gray took possession, hell Gibbs wasn’t even looking in the direction of the play.
Watch it again
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

Rockliffs efforts at the bottom of the screen are far superior, but still Eberts efforts to block Gibbs and keep that space free around the back was very good too.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 am

morell wrote:Watch it again

I will! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

Like two honeymooners heading down for a buffet breakfast in their resort we’ve all awoken satisfied with life the last couple of days and isn’t it great?

First and foremost we take home a valuable 4 points, that’s the most important part and let’s not deny the joy derived from beating the corporate monsters from the swamp. It’s glorious.

It could have been a disaster though and I don’t want to gloss over that, lots went wrong in that last 5 minutes and it could have really, really cost us. It looked like a 1 point loss was in our face after being 4 goals up early in the last quarter. Can you imagine?

Early on the script was playing out as we are growing accustomed to. Midfield breaking even or winning their share, forwards out of position and shots on goal are rushed and under pressure or being taken from far and wide. 11 shots to 10 in the first half and we’re 21 points down, not for lack of endeavour but for lack of finishing polish. We’ve been here, we’re in it but we’re not finishing it.

Then it’s time to bask in the glory of that 3rd quarter. Unbelievable. 12 shots on goal, 7 majors, 5 in the quarter to the little champ Robbie Gray and we get a glimpse of what happens when our midfield creates the chances AND the forwards take them. Ryder was sensational in this quarter, while Gray did the finishing it all started with the big man in the middle leaping high and directing the ball down to our contested mids. Wines, effective, Powell-Pepper angry and smashing packs, Rockliff showing what he’s capable of when fit inside and outside the contest. He was brilliant in his first real stand out game in the Port Adelaide guernsey. 30+ touches with clearances and tackles. He would have enjoyed his first Showdown and hit the pillow knowing he played his role.

Wingard played his role, too. He took Laird up and down the ground making sure Laird couldn’t drop off the contest to be the extra at the feet or in the air around Gray. Unseen, unrewarded but very important. For a bloke who missed 1 week with a hamstring Wingard covered some ground and did an exceptional job on Laird who had 12 disposals at ¼ time and looked like he was set to marshal the Adelaide back half and create their forward thrusts.

Neade had the Adelaide defenders looking around for him while Polec, Westhoff, Boak, Ebert and Byrne-Jones all had moments where they needed to impact the game and they did. 13 players with 20 touches or more a look at how our midfield / forward mix runs deep. Watts, terribly quiet up until half time got involved in the last quarter, too.

In the back half Tommy Jonas threw a blanket over Betts and if not for Betts snapping a miracle and getting on the end of a weak effort from Gibbs ( Gibbs had Ryder bearing down on him on a loose ball, Gibbs throws his left foot at it and volleys it 30m onto Betts’ chest ) we may have been in a more comfortable position with 5 minutes to go. 10 marks and 21 touches from Jonas has him up in the best for us on the weekend. He’s critical to our back half playing tall and small.

17 points up ( I mentioned to my son, I don’t like 17 point leads ) and oh no….YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! Betts gets that one from Gibbs, Walker emerges from the shadows he’d been hiding in all night to launch one and then what was Wingard thinking? Centre’s a high one to a 3-on-1 with SPP going towards goal and it’s back into McGovern’s hands before I can scream words unfit for writing in here. ****.It looked lost. It looked like it was over.

Under a minute….Ryder taps down, Greenwood kicks forward, Howard bangs it, Neade ten-pins a few down, Sammy….to Motlop…..to Motlop….MOTLOOOOOOOP!! MOOOOOTLOOOOOOOPPPP!!!!! Now averaging 18 disposals, 1 goal, 2 tackles and 3 I50’s a game he’s contributing more each week.

Have you heard a louder roar than that one? Can you imagine the cups of tea around Adelaide that got knocked onto the apricot slice trays? I can and it makes me feel like those honeymooners.

Boon's best : R.Gray, Rockliff, Ryder, Jonas, Wingard, Neade

An important victory in the context of the season. Round 8 and we’ve played 4 of the current top 8 with 2 wins and 2 losses. Shanghai bound for the hapless Gold Coast before the weekend off.

I don’t see any changes for the week ahead.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am

Totally agree on the roar. massive, from the depths of despair to 32 seconds later pure joy and elation I simply couldn't sit down.....

Nothing comes close to that feeling I found myself doing a 'Ken Hinkley' lol :lol:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby morell » Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 am

Excellent write up, Booney. Agree with every word.

Nothing like hugging random strangers after a belter of a win.
morell
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

Mentioned it a few times, should Jonas be in AA squad conversation at this point in time?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am

JK wrote:Mentioned it a few times, should Jonas be in AA squad conversation at this point in time?

Absolutely he should.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 11:25 am

carey wrote:Totally agree on the roar. massive, from the depths of despair to 32 seconds later pure joy and elation I simply couldn't sit down.....

Nothing comes close to that feeling I found myself doing a 'Ken Hinkley' lol :lol:

I was in the corporate area heavily outnumbered by crow fans, I had a couple of words earlier to the box next to ours when they were saying distasteful things towards SPP, I'm usually pretty quiet at the footy.

When the Crows hit the front, it was like 30 people around me just stared at me and this other chick yelling with fists in the air laughing at us, roll on twenty seconds later and I let rip with both fists in the air and looked around, they all just nodded and smiled as they conceded defeat.

For such a close showdown and how it went down, the crow fans were very humble in defeat.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:58 am

JK wrote:Mentioned it a few times, should Jonas be in AA squad conversation at this point in time?

Without question.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Tue May 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Booney wrote:
Have you heard a louder roar than that one? Can you imagine the cups of tea around Adelaide that got knocked onto the apricot slice trays? I can and it makes me feel like those honeymooners.

Yes, see below.... ;)
Attachments
Modra mark.jpg
Modra mark.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL