Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

We are absolutely shite this year. With the expectations at the beginning of the year with us playing finals. You can pretty much write this year off by the standard of footy we have been playing so far this year. The coaches and players really need to have a look at themselves and think if how they are playing / coaching is really what they want to produce for the club. Piss weak they all are. I reckon the Essendon girl's team could beat the men's team at this point in time.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Neeld has jumped before he was pushed. Has been nothing but trouble and the cause of much infighting at the club.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:Neeld has jumped before he was pushed. Has been nothing but trouble and the cause of much infighting at the club.

What you mean by him being the cause of the infighting at the club Jim??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Neeld has jumped before he was pushed. Has been nothing but trouble and the cause of much infighting at the club.

Much of our current game plan development is his and it’s caused plenty of fighting amongst players and other assistants. He was given too much power, so much so that on game days he won’t listen to the other assistants and is the only one allowed to discuss tactics with Worsfold
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Hurley out for 2 with a hammy
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Brodlach wrote:Hurley out for 2 with a hammy

Never a 2 week hammy at Essendon. See you in 6 Mick :)
Jim05
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 am

Interesting interview between Garry Lyon and Brendan Goddard on SEN this morning.
Goddard talking about players not doing the basics and their effort is down. And they're aware of it. He was being pretty honest about the whole situation.
Then Lyon brought up the fact that Goddard hadn't laid a tackle in two weeks. Goddard fumbled around, explaining that tackles weren't the only measure of effort.
I thought it was a brave line of questioning. But Goddard did a reasonable job of answering it - but...no tackles in two weeks?
Lyon's right (even though he didn't quite say it), Goddard is a part of the problem.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby carey » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting interview between Garry Lyon and Brendan Goddard on SEN this morning.
Goddard talking about players not doing the basics and their effort is down. And they're aware of it. He was being pretty honest about the whole situation.
Then Lyon brought up the fact that Goddard hadn't laid a tackle in two weeks. Goddard fumbled around, explaining that tackles weren't the only measure of effort.
I thought it was a brave line of questioning. But Goddard did a reasonable job of answering it - but...no tackles in two weeks?
Lyon's right (even though he didn't quite say it), Goddard is a part of the problem.

I think Goddard and Heppell are huge parts of the problem. From the outside looking in they have no leadership at all! Goodard refusing to stand anyone and/or apply any pressure what so ever and Heppell is nothing short of a sheep dog.

Until they expose some young lads coming through the 2's the future looks very bleak for the Dons

f@#k me if Shaun McKernan is getting a game they are in real deep shit.....
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Spargo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

carey wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting interview between Garry Lyon and Brendan Goddard on SEN this morning.

I think Goddard and Heppell are huge parts of the problem. From the outside looking in they have no leadership at all! Goodard refusing to stand anyone and/or apply any pressure what so ever and Heppell is nothing short of a sheep dog.

Until they expose some young lads coming through the 2's the future looks very bleak for the Dons

f@#k me if Shaun McKernan is getting a game they are in real deep shit.....

Spot on.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 am

Jim05 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

Much of our current game plan development is his and it’s caused plenty of fighting amongst players and other assistants. He was given too much power, so much so that on game days he won’t listen to the other assistants and is the only one allowed to discuss tactics with Worsfold

Bit of a Chicken and Egg situation - If Neeld's style of football he (and Woosha) wants the club to play isn't popular with the players, the easy way is to move 1 person (Neeld) on, but the right way is to get the players to do as they're instructed.

As others have mentioned, Goddard (from a purely outsiders perspective) looks a big part of the problem. He can't have helped the morale there, and whilst he's a highly experienced footballer, he's not the player he once was, and he doesn't display the maturity you'd expect of someone with his age/experience.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby David Brent » Tue May 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Saw an interesting stat on twitter Dogwatcher mentioning how Goddard has zero tackles in 2 weeks but Shannon Hurn has only laid one over the past 2 weeks yet is being lauded this year as a revelation & one of the captains of the year.

Obviously other factors come in to play but its interesting how stats can be perceived.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Spargo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm

David Brent wrote:

Saw an interesting stat on twitter Dogwatcher mentioning how Goddard has zero tackles in 2 weeks but Shannon Hurn has only laid one over the past 2 weeks yet is being lauded this year as a revelation & one of the captains of the year.

Obviously other factors come in to play but its interesting how stats can be perceived.

Yep, winning & not being a belittling, demonstrative flog certainly help.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Tackling is all mental and requires very little skill, Essendon are mentally shot, if I was coaching them Id be training contested work all week and the game plan would be solely around tackling and pressure on the ball carrier, simple. At least then you the members would see some effort and those that didn't would stand out like dogs balls.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Spargo wrote:
David Brent wrote:

Yep, winning & not being a belittling, demonstrative flog certainly help.

Agree with you both.
Interesting, during the interview, I'm pretty certain I heard Goddard say something along the lines of "not pointing fingers at anyone".
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Tackling is all mental and requires very little skill, Essendon are mentally shot, if I was coaching them Id be training contested work all week and the game plan would be solely around tackling and pressure on the ball carrier, simple. At least then you the members would see some effort and those that didn't would stand out like dogs balls.

Not quite sure that I agree on that one, the tackling of today is very sloppy, very poor and something that most players at any level shirk if they can.

As a coach I used to spend a lot of time on correct tackling methods, it was scary as you didn't players injured but I was big on that aspect of the game, I wasn't the quickest player getting around so I made sure my tackles stuck and I retarded the ball player.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Pretty sure they did that prior to the Hawthorn game
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not quite sure that I agree on that one, the tackling of today is very sloppy, very poor and something that most players at any level shirk if they can.

As a coach I used to spend a lot of time on correct tackling methods, it was scary as you didn't players injured but I was big on that aspect of the game, I wasn't the quickest player getting around so I made sure my tackles stuck and I retarded the ball player.

Yeah agree there is method to an actual tackle and its important at junior level, I was more getting to the point of at AFL level they would all know how to tackle, but as I teach the kids I coach tackling starts in the head, if you don't have the tackling mindset you won't lay a proper tackle. Id suggest Essendon don't have that mindset currently.

IMO Tackling starts in the mind, extends to the boy and finishes with the arms, so many juniors do it in the reverse order and that's how they get injured.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 16, 2018 1:27 pm

The skill that impresses me the most in regard to tackling is knowing when your oponent has or has not got the ball when you're tackling from behind and the person you're tackling's body obscures youe vision of where the ball is. Its something I could never master and gave away more free kicks than zi should have for "holding on".
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Essendon

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

75,000 paid up members and still a chance to get to 80,000. Imagine if we were any good and weren’t constrained by our Etihad deal
Jim05
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu May 31, 2018 10:45 am

Jim05 wrote:Imagine if we weren’t constrained by our Etihad deal

=)) =)) =))

Spargo
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL