Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:06 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
MW wrote:you're not dreaming, you're rubbing something and it's not a lamp to get three wishes...

I wondered why everyone in the office was looking at me as they normally do..........

8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Turbo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Curnows get a fine and no suspension. Sanity prevails
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Turbo wrote:Curnows get a fine and no suspension. Sanity prevails

Agree
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Turbo » Wed May 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Turbo wrote:Curnows get a fine and no suspension. Sanity prevails

Agree

And now the AFL appeals. What a joke of a comp this has become
Turbo
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 16, 2018 2:27 pm

whether or not you think it should be a fine, the fact that Hawkins got a week shows there is clear inconsistencies. I'm happy with it either being a fine or a suspension but it cant be both in the space of 3 weeks
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Turbo » Wed May 16, 2018 2:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:whether or not you think it should be a fine, the fact that Hawkins got a week shows there is clear inconsistencies. I'm happy with it either being a fine or a suspension but it cant be both in the space of 3 weeks

3 different cases that should be judged on their own. Charlie to get off. Ed to get a week cos his had more force but still nothing compared to Hawkins.
Turbo
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 16, 2018 3:08 pm

personally I think Charlie is worth a fine and ed is worth a week
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:personally I think Charlie is worth a fine and ed is worth a week

Yeah, as an umpire neither would phase me, given that it's AFL, I think you're on the money, I have Ed in my SC team though :(
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Turbo » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:personally I think Charlie is worth a fine and ed is worth a week

That’s what I meant Charlie retains the fine
Turbo
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Which one is a chance to win the Brownlow - that'll decide whether the AFL gives a fine or suspension :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Trader » Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Given players get a fine for umpires running into them during the play, I've got no issues with players who choose to make contact getting a game.

The Carlton lads should each be getting a game, Hawkins should have got 2, that's the problem for mine. The bar was set incorrectly with Hawkins, and now they want to give the Curnow boys less, but can't find a reasonable level.

It's simple, don't touch the umpire.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

The Bedge wrote:Which one is a chance to win the Brownlow - that'll decide whether the AFL gives a fine or suspension :P

Neither, they play for Carlton silly
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby gadj1976 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Trader wrote:Given players get a fine for umpires running into them during the play, I've got no issues with players who choose to make contact getting a game.

The Carlton lads should each be getting a game, Hawkins should have got 2, that's the problem for mine. The bar was set incorrectly with Hawkins, and now they want to give the Curnow boys less, but can't find a reasonable level.

It's simple, don't touch the umpire.

Agree although Hawkins should've got 4 to set the benchmark and add a deterrent factor
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 pm

I have an issue with umpires running into players personal space, they should maintain a distance IMHO.
They can easily make their points from a couple of metres or more away.
I'm suprised one hasn't been snotted for a while (thinking back to Williams, Muir and Carman).

No excuse for anyone but isn't prevention better than cure?
What advantage do umpires have by running into an area within a metre of a player?
I notice in some sports they practise the opposite.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 am

Wedgie wrote:I have an issue with umpires running into players personal space, they should maintain a distance IMHO.
I'm suprised one hasn't been snotted for a while (thinking back to Williams, Muir and Carman).

What advantage do umpires have by running into an area within a metre of a player?

Are you referring to "in play" on your first point? Or the second highlighted point for that matter?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I have an issue with umpires running into players personal space, they should maintain a distance IMHO.

Are you referring to "in play" on your first point? Or the second highlighted point for that matter?

No, usually at a stoppage or also not as common away from the play.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 am

Wedgie wrote:No, usually at a stoppage or also not as common away from the play.

They sort of are forced to be up close at the stoppages, they ball it up and try to get out of there as quick as possible, they also need to be of reasonable distance for the players to hear their calls over the crowd.

In general play you're taught and instructed to call the play from a distance and obtain the best vantage point, the beauty of having three umpires out there is most angles should be covered.

I know on a personal note that I tend to get too close to the action, playing the game for so long I can read the play really well and get to where the ball is going plus I like to make the correct call in a pack-like situation.

I've nearly lost my shit at ball ups though, a brush past as you've thrown it up and trying to get out the way is understandable from time to time, there's been a few instances of heavy contact while I'm unbraced and running backwards, had it twice in the one game by the same player, I felt like cracking him.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:No, usually at a stoppage or also not as common away from the play.

They sort of are forced to be up close at the stoppages, they ball it up and try to get out of there as quick as possible, they also need to be of reasonable distance for the players to hear their calls over the crowd.

In general play you're taught and instructed to call the play from a distance and obtain the best vantage point, the beauty of having three umpires out there is most angles should be covered.

I know on a personal note that I tend to get too close to the action, playing the game for so long I can read the play really well and get to where the ball is going plus I like to make the correct call in a pack-like situation.

I've nearly lost my shit at ball ups though, a brush past as you've thrown it up and trying to get out the way is understandable from time to time, there's been a few instances of heavy contact while I'm unbraced and running backwards, had it twice in the one game by the same player, I felt like cracking him.

Getting close to the action is fine. And I agree after throwing the ball up it is a players responsibility to get out of the way of the umpire.
Its when they've made a decision, and play is about to progress or has progressed but they still feel the need to get in players faces from a distwnce yapping away when they could remain at a distance.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am

Wedgie wrote:Getting close to the action is fine. And I agree after throwing the ball up it is a players responsibility to get out of the way of the umpire.
Its when they've made a decision, and play is about to progress or has progressed but they still feel the need to get in players faces from a distwnce yapping away when they could remain at a distance.

Setting the mark perhaps?

I'll be more observant on it as I thought they generally run backwards pretty quick to get away from the zone.

I don't mind them yapping, players whinge a lot and there's nothing wrong with them clarifying their decision.

I guess some (Razor) doesn't mind getting in their faces.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Getting close to the action is fine. And I agree after throwing the ball up it is a players responsibility to get out of the way of the umpire.

Setting the mark perhaps?

I'll be more observant on it as I thought they generally run backwards pretty quick to get away from the zone.

I don't mind them yapping, players whinge a lot and there's nothing wrong with them clarifying their decision.

I guess some (Razor) doesn't mind getting in their faces.

Nah, setting the mark is fine.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL