40%
St Pauls OS
4%
Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby jo172 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 pm

jake the snake wrote:Seriously how many times does the league need to come out and say these comments will result in suspension

Why would Woodward say it? What benefit is he getting except a moment of self gratification?

It's not as if the rule hasn't been widely and repeatedly publicised over the past few years.

All clubs who had a problem with it had ample time to take issue through the appropriate forums before an incident arose.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby beef » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

jake the snake wrote:Seriously how many times does the league need to come out and say these comments will result in suspension

Why would Woodward say it? What benefit is he getting except a moment of self gratification?

Pretty sure i know why he would say it, but its all because he is picked on
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu May 17, 2018 12:50 pm

cossi11 wrote:So Woody copped a 3 match suspension I heard last night and now has 1 game left before he cops a life ban... Wouldn't be an issue if he was suspended for a violent/abusive act but this was far from it!

On Saturday the umpires paid everything against him (and yes granted some were there), but there have been some real shocking decisions made against him this season, he cops a raw deal from them on a weekly basis. On Saturday two blokes with eyes on the footy collided when going for a mark, free kick against him for high, he almost had enough of the footy to be paid a mark here I thought.. Last week he backed into a pack and had his head taken off in a marking contest and the umpire said he ducked into it?? Ducked into a marking contest lol?

He wasn't reported during the game, he was reported at the end of the game because he said to one of the umpires 'you'll get the 3 votes today'... To further put this into perspective, there was also a free kick paid after a goal was kicked on Saturday because a defender asked the umpire what the original free kick was for, can't ask that apparently and then multiple penalties were given after another player was asking for the umpires to be consistent...

If this is seriously worth 3 games then I am rather glad my football career is almost over.. Blokes will be getting life bans by the time they are 21 if this is a reportable offence and cops a suspension.. This offence cops almost half the ban a bloke gets got headbutting/striking... absolutely stinks!!

I don’t complain about the umpires or umpiring because I respect the job they do and without them we wouldn’t have a game but gee this type of stuff is seriously ruining our game, stamp out the thug acts and idiots on the field, rather than punishing the blokes who play the game hard for something that comes out of their mouth... We really are that precious now aren't we??

Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby cossi11 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm

beef wrote:

Pretty sure i know why he would say it, but its all because he is picked on

He certainly has a mouth on him of course so doesn't help the situation but he is also given a raw deal.. Probably because of his beard, he looks big, mean and scary so everyone is intimidated haha
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm

cossi11 wrote: Probably because of his beard, he looks big, mean and scary so everyone is intimidated haha

Intimidating? Reckon he looks more like Tom Hanks in castaway:

wooduy.JPG
wooduy.JPG (33.91 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Umpire abuse is taboo, we all know that, and it's widely documented that it'll result in suspension.. but i'm in the minority with Cossi here, and I reckon 3 games suspension for comments is a little ridiculous.

Maybe some of these umpires could just grow a thicker skin, understand there are going to be moments when players become frustrated or worked up and handle it accordingly - after all it's not like he's belted some bloke, and it's not like the umpire is going to sit at his local crying as he spends his $120 or whatever for his two hour effort on what has been said.

In the B grade a couple weeks ago, we had a female umpire who copped a bit of grief from an opposition player, who fell short of practically calling her a cheat, and she handled herself incredibly well - no free kick, no cards, no suspension - just reminded the player who was officiating, who was playing and the consequences if he wanted to continue down that path.

Bloke shut up, game moved on, problem solved.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:Umpire abuse is taboo, we all know that, and it's widely documented that it'll result in suspension.. but i'm in the minority with Cossi here, and I reckon 3 games suspension for comments is a little ridiculous.

Maybe some of these umpires could just grow a thicker skin, understand there are going to be moments when players become frustrated or worked up and handle it accordingly - after all it's not like he's belted some bloke, and it's not like the umpire is going to sit at his local crying as he spends his $120 or whatever for his two hour effort on what has been said.

In the B grade a couple weeks ago, we had a female umpire who copped a bit of grief from an opposition player, who fell short of practically calling her a cheat, and she handled herself incredibly well - no free kick, no cards, no suspension - just reminded the player who was officiating, who was playing and the consequences if he wanted to continue down that path.

It's probably a bit more mellow in the country but as an umpire I prefer to just give it back or just accept the player is pissed off. I've copped shit out there before, I've got some ripper comebacks but more often than not the offending player will come and apologise later in the game or after it.

As long as it isn't threatening or loud swearing it doesn't really bother me, a bit different for the AdFL though with a larger umpiring pool.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 17, 2018 1:26 pm

A bit different because you're not a pompous stuck up prick sitting on your high horse thinking you're above the rest of us peasants who pay good money to play and keep you employed in a job.

#UmpiresCanDoPlayerAppreciationRound :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jake the snake » Thu May 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Why should they grow a thicker skin?

Rules are in place to protect them and if you break them you’ll be dealt with harshly.

Especially if your record is poor
jake the snake
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

jake the snake wrote:Why should they grow a thicker skin?

Because people tend to get emotional or say things in the heat of the moment at times, and they should understand the situation and act accordingly. If a player is venting or has thrown an unsavoury word out, get over it. If they threaten you, call you a cheat or go overboard then sure send them off, or report them.

jake the snake wrote:Rules are in place to protect them and if you break them you’ll be dealt with harshly.
Protect them from words? Holy shit balls is this really what the world has come to?

jake the snake wrote:Especially if your record is poor
So because Woody has history, he should be treated more harshly than someone else? That in itself is bullshit.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 pm

The Bedge wrote:A bit different because you're not a pompous stuck up prick sitting on your high horse thinking you're above the rest of us peasants who pay good money to play and keep you employed in a job.

#UmpiresCanDoPlayerAppreciationRound :lol:

I've had my fun with the odd dickhead that wants to keep it going or over-step the line.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby cossi11 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Just think a bit of common sense needs to come into play... like I said in my first post, blokes will be getting life bans before their career even starts if they are getting suspended for words. Obviously there is no need to say what he did and at the end of the day it achieved absolutely nothing, but in the heat of the moment, he was frustrated and we had just lost by 3 points! Suspending him for 3 games and putting him on the edge of a life ban is just madness... we are going crazy if we seriously think this is a reportable offence and deserves a 3 week suspension..

#iliketheideaofplayerappreciationround.. However I don't think the umps would want the spotlight take off of them :lol:
cossi11
League - Top 5

Postby cossi11 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Umpire abuse is taboo, we all know that, and it's widely documented that it'll result in suspension.. but i'm in the minority with Cossi here, and I reckon 3 games suspension for comments is a little ridiculous.

It's probably a bit more mellow in the country but as an umpire I prefer to just give it back or just accept the player is pissed off. I've copped shit out there before, I've got some ripper comebacks but more often than not the offending player will come and apologise later in the game or after it.

As long as it isn't threatening or loud swearing it doesn't really bother me, a bit different for the AdFL though with a larger umpiring pool.

This is great, nothing worse than being told by an umpire that you can't get a kick or a touch, the ump had better watch out at the next contest though :lol:

Seriously though, I have given umpires my fair share of comments over the years and have just gone up after the game and apologised for it. Might have been a 25m penalty awarded but the comments were said in the heat of the moment with no intent to harm #commonsense
cossi11
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Gotta laugh at all this talk of "in the moment".
It wasn't in the moment, he hadn't just missed out on a free kick.

It was after the game was finished, he went up to the umpire and had a go at him.

I hope he enjoys the next three weeks thinking about "the moment".
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jake the snake » Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Well said
jake the snake
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby cossi11 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Trader wrote:Gotta laugh at all this talk of "in the moment".

It was after the game was finished, he went up to the umpire and had a go at him.

lol, so as soon as the siren sounds all your thoughts on the game go out the window... the game had just finished and we had just lost by less than a goal, frustration and emotion is still running through your body.

very well said =D>
cossi11
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 pm

jake the snake wrote:Well said

Get your hand off your snake Jake 8) :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby cossi11 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm

cossi11 wrote:

lol, so as soon as the siren sounds all your thoughts on the game go out the window... the game had just finished and we had just lost by less than a goal, frustration and emotion is still running through your body.

very well said =D>

Anyway 'the moment' is not the point... the point is a player, any player for that matter should not be getting a 3 week suspension for saying something that is not harmful or has an intent to cause harm.. Not even worthy of a report, is a free kick at best imo.
cossi11
League - Top 5

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm

All this whinging about umpire abuse and what umpires think they are part time police. Who cares. If you don't wanna get suspended then play footy. Accept the win and accept the loss and get over it.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby cracka » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm

cossi11 wrote:
cossi11 wrote:

very well said =D>

Anyway 'the moment' is not the point... the point is a player, any player for that matter should not be getting a 3 week suspension for saying something that is not harmful or has an intent to cause harm.. Not even worthy of a report, is a free kick at best imo.

Can the umpire pay a free kick after the game has finished or does next weeks opposition get awarded a free kick before the start of their game :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League