State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby DOC » Fri May 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Rainy windy day at the G, Hawthorn V Collingwood, 10 goals scored for the game.

Across the city North V Saints the roof is closed and there is 35 goals scored.

Any problems?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Loved Chris Judds suggestion of scrapping percentage. He wants to just have points for counted. Would promote heavier scoring in some respects. Obviously coaches would still put 4 points first but we might find a better balance between attack and defence

It's a ridiculous suggestion. If you want to promote high scores ( if that's the be all and end all, which it isn't ) then award 1 premiership point for kicking 20 goals or scoring 120 points win, lose or draw, that will encourage scoring.

In the main I don't mind Judd, other than the fact he's got no idea how shit Carlton actually are!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Loved Chris Judds suggestion of scrapping percentage. He wants to just have points for counted. Would promote heavier scoring in some respects. Obviously coaches would still put 4 points first but we might find a better balance between attack and defence

I think it would have a negative affect, once a team can't win they will call "uncle" and get smashed. End up with 14 on the field to minimize injury risk.

They wouldnt want to give opposition free points would they? They may end up level on wins with that team at the end of the season

Sorry mate, I read it more clearly, does that assist those that play at Etihad and retard those that play more night games or in Tassie?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby DOC » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Booney wrote:

It's a ridiculous suggestion. If you want to promote high scores ( if that's the be all and end all, which it isn't ) then award 1 premiership point for kicking 20 goals or scoring 120 points win, lose or draw, that will encourage scoring.

In the main I don't mind Judd, other than the fact he's got no idea how shit Carlton actually are!

In the main or anywhere I don't mind Mrs Judd
DOC
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 pm

DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

More meat on a butchers pencil.

No thanks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 pm

DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

MMM banging on all morning over here about the crew going to the Judd Cave tonight. I’d be checking out the Bec Cave myself!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 pm

DOC wrote:Rainy windy day at the G, Hawthorn V Collingwood, 10 goals scored for the game.

Across the city North V Saints the roof is closed and there is 35 goals scored.

Any problems?

True
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Booney wrote:

I like this idea boon, 120 for an extra premiership point is attractive
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Bonus points is a very good idea. Gives the losing side something to aim for aswell as they can still pick up a point in the game if they attack
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:
DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

MMM banging on all morning over here about the crew going to the Judd Cave tonight. I’d be checking out the Bec Cave myself!

After 4 kids, Canyon might be a better description
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Time for a re-bore?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby LMA » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
LMA wrote:Chopping the arms needs to go, need to promote strong hands in the contest again. I also don't like players getting pinged for putting hands in the back to hold their ground, stronger players are getting penalised. The 50m for entering a protected area MUST go, ridiculously harsh penalty. Whatever changes are made if any, take as much grey area interpretation away from the umps as possible

Know what you're trying to get at LMA, but there's a little bit of an inconsistency there. Whilst, like you, I'd like to see the first two umpired more feel for the game, I can understand the AFL's logic in the way they have set the interpretations to get rid of as much grey area for the umpires as possible.

For those reasons I'd give them 6/10 for introducing those interpretations. For the protection of the head rules they've made 9/10, just need to work through the players taking on the onus to protect themselves. For all other rule changes an interpretation since and including the change to 20 minutes quarters, I'm struggling to think of any that have improved the game or there was a reasonable rationale for.

Another one I hate, and it's more the symbolism than the effect on the play, is when a player takes a good pack/contested mark, but a free to his teammate takes precedence.

Fair point
LMA
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 pm

State of the game is fine. Love it. Media just bring this nonsense up every year.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat May 19, 2018 12:20 am

Jim05 wrote:Bonus points is a very good idea. Gives the losing side something to aim for aswell as they can still pick up a point in the game if they attack

I don’t mind it but the only issue is wet games like tonight vs games at Etihad
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby DOC » Sat May 19, 2018 7:35 am

Should also be bonus points for winning at the MCG because that is where the grand final is.

Bonus points for winning in Victoria if you are a Victorian side because its a privilege for the interstate sides to be there.

Bonus points for Victorian sides for travelling. Extra if they win,

Declared blockbuster games, Anzac day, Dreamtime, Good Friday, etc etc played in Melbourne to have double points.

Bonus points for the home side playing at Etihad if the roof is closed. More if its open.

Loss of points if both sides come from the same non Victorian state because they have not had to travel.
DOC
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat May 19, 2018 7:39 am

:lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 am

LMA wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

I’d still happily explore her canyon.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby LMA » Sat May 19, 2018 8:48 am

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Bonus points is a very good idea. Gives the losing side something to aim for aswell as they can still pick up a point in the game if they attack

I don’t mind it but the only issue is wet games like tonight vs games at Etihad

No bonus points. If it were a true Home and Away season then maybe, too many variables with the current FIXture.
LMA
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat May 19, 2018 8:52 am

Bonus points :roll:

Leave. The. Game. Alone.

Over a hundred years of footy traditions doesn’t need to change
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LMA » Sat May 19, 2018 8:56 am

amber_fluid wrote:
LMA wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
DOC wrote:

I’d still happily explore her canyon.

Would need some reliable tools
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL