State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby cracka » Sat May 19, 2018 10:39 am

I don't believe it's the rule makers destroying the game. IMO it's the coaches & players exploiting the rules that is forcing some changes to be made.
Remember when players used to bounce the ball when being tackled so as not to get done HTB (Kevin Bartlett being the main one from memory. That is when it started.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am

LMA wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
LMA wrote:Chopping the arms needs to go, need to promote strong hands in the contest again. I also don't like players getting pinged for putting hands in the back to hold their ground, stronger players are getting penalised. The 50m for entering a protected area MUST go, ridiculously harsh penalty. Whatever changes are made if any, take as much grey area interpretation away from the umps as possible

Know what you're trying to get at LMA, but there's a little bit of an inconsistency there. Whilst, like you, I'd like to see the first two umpired more feel for the game, I can understand the AFL's logic in the way they have set the interpretations to get rid of as much grey area for the umpires as possible.

For those reasons I'd give them 6/10 for introducing those interpretations. For the protection of the head rules they've made 9/10, just need to work through the players taking on the onus to protect themselves. For all other rule changes an interpretation since and including the change to 20 minutes quarters, I'm struggling to think of any that have improved the game or there was a reasonable rationale for.

Another one I hate, and it's more the symbolism than the effect on the play, is when a player takes a good pack/contested mark, but a free to his teammate takes precedence.

Fair point

Reading my post again, I meant the hands in back and chopping arms. Fully agree they should f*ck the 10m protected area off unless the player is trying to impact on the play
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby stan » Sat May 19, 2018 12:37 pm

cracka wrote:I don't believe it's the rule makers destroying the game. IMO it's the coaches & players exploiting the rules that is forcing some changes to be made.
Remember when players used to bounce the ball when being tackled so as not to get done HTB (Kevin Bartlett being the main one from memory. That is when it started.
**** your old mate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby LMA » Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
LMA wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
LMA wrote:Chopping the arms needs to go, need to promote strong hands in the contest again. I also don't like players getting pinged for putting hands in the back to hold their ground, stronger players are getting penalised. The 50m for entering a protected area MUST go, ridiculously harsh penalty. Whatever changes are made if any, take as much grey area interpretation away from the umps as possible

Know what you're trying to get at LMA, but there's a little bit of an inconsistency there. Whilst, like you, I'd like to see the first two umpired more feel for the game, I can understand the AFL's logic in the way they have set the interpretations to get rid of as much grey area for the umpires as possible.

For those reasons I'd give them 6/10 for introducing those interpretations. For the protection of the head rules they've made 9/10, just need to work through the players taking on the onus to protect themselves. For all other rule changes an interpretation since and including the change to 20 minutes quarters, I'm struggling to think of any that have improved the game or there was a reasonable rationale for.

Another one I hate, and it's more the symbolism than the effect on the play, is when a player takes a good pack/contested mark, but a free to his teammate takes precedence.

Fair point

Reading my post again, I meant the hands in back and chopping arms. Fully agree they should f*ck the 10m protected area off unless the player is trying to impact on the play

That's what I was referencing, as much as I hate those rules it does make it clearer for the umps.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby cracka » Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm

stan wrote:
cracka wrote:I don't believe it's the rule makers destroying the game. IMO it's the coaches & players exploiting the rules that is forcing some changes to be made.
**** your old mate.

I'm only 47 but was mad about footy when I was 5-15 years old. Used to watch every game I could on TV. Back then I remember they even used to broadcast SAFA games on TV.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Like he said...you're old!!!! Lol
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm

cracka wrote:
stan wrote:
**** your old mate.

I'm only 47 but was mad about footy when I was 5-15 years old. Used to watch every game I could on TV. Back then I remember they even used to broadcast SAFA games on TV.

And SANFL reserves, now its just two reserves teams that get telecast and no league teams unless they are lucky enough to be playing a reserves team
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby DOC » Sat May 19, 2018 6:08 pm

And the ammos. I have or had an Advertiser from 1960ish and the C2 match of the day was Semaphore Centrals v Broadview
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Sun May 20, 2018 11:48 am

Listening to the Ess v Geelong game today on the way home from footy, I thought of this game and the "state of the game today":

Much like 1985 was pinnacle of the SANFL - before the trickle of players over the border became a flood (Bradley, Naley, Platten, Kernahan, McGuinness etc all going in 86). 1993, in my opinion, was the best year of footy in the AFL, from teh perspective it was a good blend of attacking and pressure footy

That game, WC v Essendon in early July (jacket waving gate), the 2pt QF at night Carl v Essendon), that last round of footy with Geelong going boonta at the WACA but still missing the finals, Modra ;) going beserk. That's when the game was good to watch and the commentary wasn't too bad either...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm

93-96 was the pinnacle for me. So many good games of footy and they were well umpired more often than not. Balled the thing up as soon as there was a dead ball and didn’t let players scrap over it for 5 seconds before making a decision, Red hot on holding the ball and incorrect disposal and rewarding the bloke who got to the footy first. Pay the obvious frees and do it quickly and ball it up straight away- it will ease a lot of the issues.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon May 21, 2018 7:16 am

DOC wrote:And the ammos. I have or had an Advertiser from 1960ish and the C2 match of the day was Semaphore Centrals v Broadview

Couldn't have been us we didn't play Semaphore Centrals for the 1st time until 1975 when we played in Div 1 for the first time.

Could be Exeter they were wearing the same jumper and they used to share the ground always a big game when they played each other.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am

cracka wrote:I'm only 47 but was mad about footy when I was 5-15 years old. Used to watch every game I could on TV. Back then I remember they even used to broadcast SAFA games on TV.

Did you buy the "Football Times" newspaper every Thursday?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 11:46 am

Did anyone see McDermott & Jars' mock "State of Origin" team in the chip wrapper on the weekend?

1: What a load of snot of a team.
2: SOO is dead and will never be revived, leave it for the Rugby league.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Did anyone see McDermott & Jars' mock "State of Origin" team in the chip wrapper on the weekend?

Even if there was a way to logistically make it happen with the support of ALL relevant parties, what sort of spectacle would it be these days? Those of us who saw the SOO games of the 80's were seriously fortunate at the time and to have the memories now, but the memory bank is where it belongs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Did anyone see McDermott & Jars' mock "State of Origin" team in the chip wrapper on the weekend?

Was that the one with Lukocious from WWT at full forward?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm

JK wrote:

Even if there was a way to logistically make it happen with the support of ALL relevant parties, what sort of spectacle would it be these days? Those of us who saw the SOO games of the 80's were seriously fortunate at the time and to have the memories now, but the memory bank is where it belongs.

Exactly, we went to every one in the 80's, seen Sticks kick 10, the Peter Motley mark but yeah, it will never be the same for too many reasons, all the best players get witheld too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Booney wrote:

Was that the one with Lukocious from WWT at full forward?

Yeah, I seen that and immediately started peeling the spuds on it. He would get eaten alive.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm

An Idea I had about the AFL salary cap.

If sides win less than 6 games in any given season (could be 4) the following year they can reduce player contracts by 10%. (Around $1m on the current $10.37m cap)

This can be banked to try and attract free agents. This can be done for a maximum of 2 consecutive years.

I think it's plain wrong that Brisbane and Carlton's lists are earning the same amount of money as Adelaide and Richmond's lists.

I know the AFLPA wouldn't cop it but I reckon clubs at the bottom of the ladder should have scope to "bank" salary they aren't/shouldn't be paying players.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby saintal » Tue May 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah, noticed Kirkwood named as an emergency and Victorian Robbie Grey also listed. Also seems they have 19 on the field. Given the modest quality of the line up though we'd need every leg up against the Vics.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Booney wrote:An Idea I had about the AFL salary cap.

If sides win less than 6 games in any given season (could be 4) the following year they can reduce player contracts by 10%. (Around $1m on the current $10.37m cap)

This can be banked to try and attract free agents. This can be done for a maximum of 2 consecutive years.

I think it's plain wrong that Brisbane and Carlton's lists are earning the same amount of money as Adelaide and Richmond's lists.

I know the AFLPA wouldn't cop it but I reckon clubs at the bottom of the ladder should have scope to "bank" salary they aren't/shouldn't be paying players.

clubs are already allowed to bank some salary cap dollars to spend it in future years

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/clu ... 39jhg.html
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL