"Unintentional" - Last touch rule

All discussions to do with the SANFL

"Unintentional" - Last touch rule

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Yesterday twice in front of us there was a throw in awarded and not a free kick against the last player who's foot the ball vame off. With both of these the ball was 5m -20m away from the boundary line when it came off a players boot. One for each team.
When the (same) umpire awarded these he shouted out "unintentional".
I've tlked to several people including those that go every week and they'd never seen this before, they'd even see one player tap it onto another players boot to milk free kicks in the past.
Has the rule changed or was it always there and never used or is one umpire clueless?
I would have thought 99% of last touches would be "unintentional"? :?
Genuinely curious.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: "Unintentional" - Last touch rule

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun May 20, 2018 1:50 pm

I think it needs to be a deliberate kick of the footy and not a deflection or ricochet.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Sun May 20, 2018 1:52 pm

This is the official SANFL last touch umpiring instruction video

As the Pirate says, it's has to be a clear last kick or handball for the last disposal law to be applied. At local footy level err on the side of "not a clear disposal" or "possibly touched" so throw it in please...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 20, 2018 2:01 pm

am Bays wrote:This is the official SANFL last touch umpiring instruction video

As the Pirate says, it's has to be a clear last kick or handball for the last disposal law to be applied. At local footy level err on the side of "not a clear disposal" or "possibly touched" so throw it in please...

Cheers for that, looking at that video the umpire got one wrong and one horribly wrong.
Did that change? When was that video released?
If it was like that from the start then a shit load of wrong decisions have been made.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby PhilH » Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Didn't see the 2 yesterday but my understanding is

Anytime if comes off the leg (below the knee) accidentally or otherwise ON THE FULL over the boundary it is a free.

Anytime it is a clear disposal (handball or kick) bouncing over the boundary it is a free.

Deflections, fumbles, ricochets bouncing over is a Throw In.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Hazydog » Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, last intentional disposal (kick or handball) that goes out of bounds is penalised. If it goes out on the full off the boot accidentally that’s also a free, but if a ball is unintentionally deflected over the line off a boot and it’s not on the full it’s a boundary throw in.
Personally I think it is generally umpired very well, and despite initially being against the change, nowadays much prefer it to the lottery of deliberate out of bounds rule used in the AFL. At least it’s a black and white decision, and I like that aspect of it
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah, the first yesterday a South player kicked the ball along the ground to stop a North player from grabbing it about 5-10 metres away from the boundary.
The second was even worse when a North player kicked it from a longer distance with a dribble kick after having possession of it, it would have been deliberate under the old rule by lot of umpires!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Hazydog wrote:Yes, last intentional disposal (kick or handball) that goes out of bounds is penalised. If it goes out on the full off the boot accidentally that’s also a free, but if a ball is unintentionally deflected over the line off a boot and it’s not on the full it’s a boundary throw in.
Personally I think it is generally umpired very well, and despite initially being against the change, nowadays much prefer it to the lottery of deliberate out of bounds rule used in the AFL. At least it’s a black and white decision, and I like that aspect of it

I love it but wish it was more black and white. Just make it last touch is a free kick against (from kick ir handball) and don't let the umpire stuff up interpreations which they clearly did yesterday.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Sun May 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Question for people who watch more SANFL than me - does this rule lessen the impact of ruckmen as they don't have boundary throw-ins to contest?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby goddy11 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:17 pm

PhilH wrote:Didn't see the 2 yesterday but my understanding is

Anytime if comes off the leg (below the knee) accidentally or otherwise ON THE FULL over the boundary it is a free.

Anytime it is a clear disposal (handball or kick) bouncing over the boundary it is a free.

That's the way I understood it PhilH. I did not like it but think its great. It makes the game flow better.

But, Why do we have to have rules different to the rest of the country? Does the SANFL think its better.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby heater31 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:Question for people who watch more SANFL than me - does this rule lessen the impact of ruckmen as they don't have boundary throw-ins to contest?
For the game Wedgie watched:

Brooksby 19 touches (15 kicks, 4 handballs) 8 marks vs Barns 10 touches (6 kicks, 4 handballs) 3 marks.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby DOC » Sun May 20, 2018 4:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:Question for people who watch more SANFL than me - does this rule lessen the impact of ruckmen as they don't have boundary throw-ins to contest?

Hard to answer, There is still a number of throw ins. Probably 8-12 frees that would have been throw ins.

BUT:

The rule has made the game better as we play more football rather than getting it out.

I think it is inevitable that this rule will be adopted by all. Not many liked it to start but it has gained favor.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Grenville » Sun May 20, 2018 4:55 pm

DOC wrote:

Hard to answer, There is still a number of throw ins. Probably 8-12 frees that would have been throw ins.

BUT:

The rule has made the game better as we play more football rather than getting it out.

I think it is inevitable that this rule will be adopted by all. Not many liked it to start but it has gained favor.

I must be in the minority then, I still think it's a load of crap.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby heater31 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Grenville wrote:
DOC wrote:

BUT:

Keeping the ball in play through the corridor is a load of crap :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Spargo » Sun May 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Unintentional like^
The reason the rule is a load of crap is because many times it rewards players who are second to the contest & aren’t making the play.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re:

Postby whufc » Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 pm

heater31 wrote:
Grenville wrote:
DOC wrote:

BUT:

Keeping the ball in play through the corridor is a load of crap :shock:

That's why it is crap for mine

The rules shouldn't be adapted to force teams to play in a certain way

The beauty for Aussie rules for me is the tactical battle/different styles/ different approaches.

What about today's games is 90% of teams try and play the exact same way as one another

Happy to concede though the rule is not and wouldn't be a deal breaker between my attendance or not, I can live with the rule being enforced
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby TDJ44 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Grenville wrote:
DOC wrote:

BUT:

No your not,the rule is crap.
Too many rules changed,it's not soccer or basketball......go back to the way it was.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun May 20, 2018 8:57 pm

PhilH wrote:Didn't see the 2 yesterday but my understanding is

Sounds as contentious as the off side rule. Just a can of worms imo.
I’ve seen lots of times players are sheparding the ball across the line to win the free, whilst the opposition try to get close enough to tout the ball.

The rule needs to be one way or the other. Giving umpires discretionary powers will always lead to problems.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Board index   Football  SANFL