Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 am

whufc wrote:If anyone is ever struggling for day to day motivation (and don't have any family members/friends etc who inspire them) I highly recommend watching/listening to any speeches from a gentlemen called Michael Crossland. His story is truly amazing!!

I do, mainly self-inflicted though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:After attending my Grandfather's funeral yesterday I came to the realization that there are a lot of rellies that I simply have lost all interest in, so many have their own vendetta's against each other and that they fail to see what would've been important for my Grandfather, I crossed at least 10 off my list yesterday which is so unlike me.

Ah, you know what they say mate. You can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family.

One of my Mrs's favourite sayings to our kids when they piss her off is "I chose your Father, I didn't choose you!" ....harsh
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:After attending my Grandfather's funeral yesterday I came to the realization that there are a lot of rellies that I simply have lost all interest in, so many have their own vendetta's against each other and that they fail to see what would've been important for my Grandfather, I crossed at least 10 off my list yesterday which is so unlike me.

Ah, you know what they say mate. You can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family.

One of my Mrs's favourite sayings to our kids when they piss her off is "I chose your Father, I didn't choose you!" ....harsh

I saw a snippet from a lady comedian a little while back where she was arguing with her teenage son.

He quipped "Well why did you have me then?"

She replied "We wanted a kid but didn't know it was going to be you!"

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Booney wrote:I attended a funeral yesterday for a friends mother and spoke to some friends about what lies ahead for us all.

In the last 20-25 years we've all married, had children, built homes and lives, become the people we are and with our friends developed relationships with those you know and love. The next 20-25 will be filled with loss as our ageing parents leave us.

Seems a little unfair that just as you find life unfolding as you would have hoped there's a bend in the road ahead that's unavoidable.

The groups overwhelming sense was to make the most of every day, be the person you want to be. Love and be loved.

Yep, we can all lose our perspective at times, but there's no harm in that so long as we regain it. Noone's here for a long enough time, so spend as much time as possible being happy and helping those that matter enjoy the same. Life changes in a heartbeat so we all need to do as much as we can while we can.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Booney wrote:
I saw a snippet from a lady comedian a little while back where she was arguing with her teenage son.

Worst one I've ever seen/heard was my mate from cricket, his missus at the time turned and yelled at her son "For F*** sakes Brad, why didn't I just give your dad a blowie that night".

It was so wrong but I sniggered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Worst one I've ever seen/heard was my mate from cricket, his missus at the time turned and yelled at her son "For F*** sakes Brad, why didn't I just give your dad a blowie that night".

It was so wrong but I sniggered.

Yeah, I remember mum yelling that.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Booney wrote:I attended a funeral yesterday for a friends mother and spoke to some friends about what lies ahead for us all.

In the last 20-25 years we've all married, had children, built homes and lives, become the people we are and with our friends developed relationships with those you know and love. The next 20-25 will be filled with loss as our ageing parents leave us.

Seems a little unfair that just as you find life unfolding as you would have hoped there's a bend in the road ahead that's unavoidable.

The groups overwhelming sense was to make the most of every day, be the person you want to be. Love and be loved.

That’s the cycle of life. Because you associate with the same age group, generally, then you tend to all have the same cycle. 18th birthday parties, 21st’s, then engagement parties, weddings, christening’s.

Then as you mature, funerals, your parents, aunties and uncles, and your friends parents, and it seems that the only time you get together is at a funeral.

Then the sun comes up again, your kids 18th, 21st’s, weddings, your friends kids weddings, grandkids, grandkids christening’s, friends grandkid’s christenings.

Personally, I think I’m enjoying this time more than the first time around. There’s nothing warmer than a granddaughter wanting a hug from grandad.

And at the end of the day................. you hand them back to mum and dad. You just can’t beat having grandkids.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 pm

My teen years were the worst for funerals, grandparents galore dropping off. I was tough as nails as a teenager and despite losing some of the most important people in my life I wasn't phased in the slightest.
20s and 30's were sporadic. Worst funeral was my cousins daughter who died at 18.
A couple of years ago losing Dad and Skeff within a couple of months wasn't pleasant either but having just moved in with the love of my life and having an awesome houseboat trip between the two funerals helped.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am

Wedgie wrote:My teen years were the worst for funerals, grandparents galore dropping off. I was tough as nails as a teenager and despite losing some of the most important people in my life I wasn't phased in the slightest.
20s and 30's were sporadic. Worst funeral was my cousins daughter who died at 18.
A couple of years ago losing Dad and Skeff within a couple of months wasn't pleasant either but having just moved in with the love of my life and having an awesome houseboat trip between the two funerals helped.

Yeah teens were the worst for me.

2 Funerals I will never forget in the same year. My little brother (he was 6 at the time) and then my grand dad (who I lived with at the time and was more like a father figure at the time)

I definitely went of the rails for a bit and to be honest didn't surround myself with the right people and didn't have the self leadership skills to cope. TBH has taking me to the last 4 years (15 years later) to really get to where I want to be.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:My teen years were the worst for funerals, grandparents galore dropping off. I was tough as nails as a teenager and despite losing some of the most important people in my life I wasn't phased in the slightest.

2 Funerals I will never forget in the same year. My little brother (he was 6 at the time) and then my grand dad (who I lived with at the time and was more like a father figure at the time)

I definitely went of the rails for a bit and to be honest didn't surround myself with the right people and didn't have the self leadership skills to cope. TBH has taking me to the last 4 years (15 years later) to really get to where I want to be.

That you recognised it and changed your life defines who you are. Too many don’t get back on the rails.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 am

johntheclaret wrote:
whufc wrote:

That you recognised it and changed your life defines who you are. Too many don’t get back on the rails.

I feel like I always had a good understanding of 'right' and 'wrong' but it was more my 'lack of care' factor' and a general belief which I see far too often in the northern suburbs that 'the world owed me' victim mentality.

One of my favourite sayings that I now live by is 'There are people out there who would do anything to have your worse day'
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am

whufc wrote:

I was riddled with them from about 16 to 20, it certainly knocked me about, had a mate hit by a train, a cousin and best mate do themselves in not far apart and then another young cousin died in a car accident as I was watching the footy at Smithfield Oval with his sister and parents, we seen the ambo's go flying past and then 15 minutes later they were getting ushered away to the scene that was about 500 metres away.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

whufc wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
whufc wrote:

I feel like I always had a good understanding of 'right' and 'wrong' but it was more my 'lack of care' factor' and a general belief which I see far too often in the northern suburbs that 'the world owed me' victim mentality.

One of my favourite sayings that I now live by is 'There are people out there who would do anything to have your worse day'

For different reasons (a Paternity situation) I had much the same experience. Developed a real "couldn't give a f***" attitude and went well off the rails with zero regard for my own well being. About 5 years later I woke up one morning sick of feeling down all the time and had a light bulb moment, and stopped feeling sorry for myself and set about getting my head right - The benefits that followed pretty much immediately, led to a far happier life.

In a similarish spot again these days, partly due to factors beyond my control, but knowing that change is possible once you identify what needs to change and then commit to it is reassuring when you've conquered it before.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

The last of our RABBIT PROOF FENCE ladies now with the Ancestors..

Rabbit Proof Fence relates the story of Molly Craig, 14, her eight-year-old sister, Daisy Kadibill, and their cousin, Gracie Fields, 10, who grew up on an Aboriginal mission in the remote Pilbara region of Western Australia.

Taken away by the authorities in 1931, they escaped from an orphanage near Perth and walked home, following a fence built across the continent to protect farming land from rabbit

FB_IMG_1527575316380.jpg
FB_IMG_1527575316380.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

FB_IMG_1527575326726.jpg
FB_IMG_1527575326726.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Psyber » Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

I ran out of grandparents when I was about 7 - a result of being a late child with my only sibling a sister 15 years older than me. Fortunately an eldely couple living next door to the family home, who had never had children themselves stepped up to the plate. My father died in 1980, but then I was fine until April 2007 when I lost my sister, my mother, and then my wife in the next 18 months.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby MW » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 pm

I never had any grandparents and lost my Dad at 14. It makes me not appreciate what grandparents can mean to a person which sucks but I'll never know the difference.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 31, 2018 8:24 pm

MW wrote:I never had any grandparents and lost my Dad at 14. It makes me not appreciate what grandparents can mean to a person which sucks but I'll never know the difference.

I’m hearing you, no parents or grandparents by the age of 20
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Sorry guys, that must have been awful. :(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 am

Only knew Mum's Dad, he went when I was 12 but had a great relationship while he was here.

He lived in the War Veterans Home at Myrtle Bank, taught me how to play snooker/pool/billiards on full size tables, carpet/lawn bowls, cribbage, chess and I proudly have and use his pool cue and his walking stick sits next to the fire place.

RIP Pop.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion