Norwood v Centrals Fri 1920

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Norwood v Centrals Fri 1920

Postby TDJ44 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:03 pm

JK wrote:I've only seen the first half and a bit, but not getting carried away with the win. We can be very dangerous when things are on our own terms, but Centrals (unusually for them) really allowed it by being below par with their pressure early and their skill errors that prevented scoring opportunities their way regularly lead to scores in our favour.

Those skill errors are consistent each week.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Groucho » Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm

TDJ44 wrote:
JK wrote:I've only seen the first half and a bit, but not getting carried away with the win. We can be very dangerous when things are on our own terms, but Centrals (unusually for them) really allowed it by being below par with their pressure early and their skill errors that prevented scoring opportunities their way regularly lead to scores in our favour.

Those skill errors are consistent each week.

Central players don't seem to have any problems hitting a player on the chest lace out with either hand or foot when they are wearing the opposition jumper! :evil: :(
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Grenville » Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 pm

TDJ44 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Absolutely agree with what sort of game we play IT
CLEARLY HASNT WORKED and yet we persist with it there are some who
think there is nothing wrong with it.

We don't have the talent to play like everyone else are so why not change it up a bit.
Norwood embarrassed us friday night,they used the footy well and we like most weeks can't hit a target .
Our first option is to go backwards or sideways even if there's a better option going forward.

We did this shit last year and it took over half a season to institute an game plan where we'd bang it long to contests and put the onus on the players upfield to give a contest. It wasn't always pretty and it was predictable but it made blokes accountable and it worked. I detest our current game plan, we do not have anywhere near the skill level to execute it but it is also not a reason for players taking short steps or not putting their bodies on the line.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Spot on Grenville.Then why do we persist playing this rubbish footy.
Unfortunately Lairdy is to stubborn to change and it is driving supporters away
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Grenville » Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 pm

I don't know mate, I just don't understand it. As I also said though we've had some blokes play very soft, bruise free footy at times as well. I can stand losing, I fu***n hate it but I can stand it if I think blokes have had a decent crack and busted a gut. There have been times this year that have made me want to f****n spew in disgust.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Groucho » Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 pm

We were so bad the Norwood morons behind the players race didn't even bother to boo us off the oval as they usually do.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Michael » Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Spot on Grenville.Then why do we persist playing this rubbish footy.
Unfortunately Lairdy is to stubborn to change and it is driving supporters away

Well most know this but Johntheclaret . He knows everything about Central. You seem to follow my posts closely , so in you get. :lol:
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Michael » Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 pm

You cant keep using history as an excuse to do the same. Anyone who thinks that has no idea .
Michael
Rookie

Postby topsywaldron » Sun May 27, 2018 10:36 pm

63 points short.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby TDJ44 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Michael wrote:You cant keep using history as an excuse to do the same. Anyone who thinks that has no idea .

???
TDJ44
Under 16s

Postby Spargo » Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Don’t feed the troll.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby TDJ44 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 pm

Grenville wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Absolutely agree with what sort of game we play IT
CLEARLY HASNT WORKED and yet we persist with it there are some who
think there is nothing wrong with it.

We don't have the talent to play like everyone else are so why not change it up a bit.
Norwood embarrassed us friday night,they used the footy well and we like most weeks can't hit a target .
Our first option is to go backwards or sideways even if there's a better option going forward.

We did this shit last year and it took over half a season to institute an game plan where we'd bang it long to contests and put the onus on the players upfield to give a contest. It wasn't always pretty and it was predictable but it made blokes accountable and it worked. I detest our current game plan, we do not have anywhere near the skill level to execute it but it is also not a reason for players taking short steps or not putting their bodies on the line.

We had a better side last season and still struggled so what hope this season.
I predicted 6 wins would be a good result this season although now I'm not sure who we'll beat to get there .
TDJ44
Under 16s

Postby Michael » Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 am

TDJ44 wrote:
Michael wrote:You cant keep using history as an excuse to do the same. Anyone who thinks that has no idea .

???

Lairds premierships.Like many Central supporters are saying nothing is changing .
Michael
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 am

Nasty, nasty result.
I knew we'd get scrubbed, but not by that much. Just awful.

Yes, we recruited poorly last summer, but I'm not sure what we could've done about that. Losing three key midfielders in a competition where players aren't racing to come to play any more is pretty hard to replace. Those losses came late. Few would've expected Jansen to be gone and Glenn well...

Hopefully we're starting to look for some recruiting targets now as I'm worried if we keep going at this rate, we're in for a few more years of pain yet.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Nasty, nasty result.
I knew we'd get scrubbed, but not by that much. Just awful.

Yes, we recruited poorly last summer, but I'm not sure what we could've done about that. Losing three key midfielders in a competition where players aren't racing to come to play any more is pretty hard to replace. Those losses came late. Few would've expected Jansen to be gone and Glenn well...

Hopefully we're starting to look for some recruiting targets now as I'm worried if we keep going at this rate, we're in for a few more years of pain yet.

Your u18’s and Ressies are going ok. May aswell blood a few more this year and then with a bit of offseason recruitment there is no reason why you can’t be back on the mix next season
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 am

Very true. That's been a break in the clouds for us this season - we've not had great success at those levels in recent years.

I wonder if we're the first club to be hit by the new SANFL, where recruits are going to come more and more from within and from local leagues.
This was the first year I can recall TAC Cup players being touted as recruits (us and Norwood did that this season).
We're getting closer and closer to an under 23 competition.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Very true. That's been a break in the clouds for us this season - we've not had great success at those levels in recent years.

I wonder if we're the first club to be hit by the new SANFL, where recruits are going to come more and more from within and from local leagues.
This was the first year I can recall TAC Cup players being touted as recruits (us and Norwood did that this season).

Our premiership imo was based off some very strong junior sides who turned out quality league players which were then able to recruit a lot more efficiently.

In an era of it being harder to find interstate recruits I'm all for the club blooding youth for short term pain for the potential long term gain.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 2:48 pm

whufc wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Very true. That's been a break in the clouds for us this season - we've not had great success at those levels in recent years.

Our premiership imo was based off some very strong junior sides who turned out quality league players which were then able to recruit a lot more efficiently.

In an era of it being harder to find interstate recruits I'm all for the club blooding youth for short term pain for the potential long term gain.

Agree with all of that.
We also had blokes who wanted to be around the club, its culture and a higher standard of footy.
I also think a lot of the players back then were a lot more ambitious at all levels of their life.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm

It's probable, as a competition, we're now out of the era when players can remember the SANFL being an important part of South Australian football life.
As far as the players go, it's always been the AFL. So that is possibly also an impact on recruiting for all clubs. What is an SANFL? What does it mean?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 2:53 pm

I've posted this elsewhere, but it's worth adding in this thread -

This is from my recollections:

2011 - Centrals
2012 - Elizabeth
2013 - Centrals
2014 - Centrals
2015 - Gold Coast
2016 - Willaston
2017 - Centrals
2018 - Willaston/Norwood

From that record, you can see why Centrals might have been hesitant to take JG back again after his Willaston incident.
It hurts as a supporter to see a player walk in/walk out like that. He hurt us Friday night and may do so in the future. But I'm not sure any club would welcome him back...again after such a fractious relationship. And it's not just been with the coach.
It will be interesting to see what 2019 brings.
I hope, somehow, that Josh can start getting the best out of himself consistently. An outstanding talent, who could easily win the Magarey.
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL