Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Down the Hill » Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm

If I recall MV were pretty ordinary for several years in the late 80’s and maybe extending to early 90’s. CB were a strong proud club from inception to 1994 and no one was too fussed when they were bordering on being a basket case for much of the next 15 to 20 years. The gradual decline in junior numbers and junior strength at MV meant this day would come and I’m sure they will bounce back with some good decion making going forward. How long that takes who knows but suggesting the league is in crisis just because some of the usual suspects aren’t dominating is a bit short sighted. The growth of the CBFC across all facets of senior, junior and female footy and Port Noarlunga continually defying the odds by remaining at the top end of the table are surely major positives for the SFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Peter Griffen » Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:Can anyone from Reynella explain why when their Ruckman got yellow carded at the 5 min mark of the last 1/4 didn't come back on and they played with 17 for the rest of the game?

Flies look pretty good, well structured and cohesive unit, could threaten the top 3.

I still can't believe that decision :shock: Gets tunnelled and called for too high. Lucky to not be in a wheelchair.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Old_mate21 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:23 pm

I am shocked with what everyone is writing, only eight months ago everyone was writing how good it will be for the league when OSB and Marion left. You are now telling me there are other teams on the bottom of the ladder? How did that happen... :lol:
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 pm

SFL squad as it stands -

Tyler Flintham Aldinga
Levi Stewart-England Aldinga
Daniel Lee Christies Beach
Neil Reeve Christies Beach
Patrick Jolly Christies Beach
Jarryd McCormack Christies Beach
Clayton Mesecke Christies Beach U21
Jake McCreery Cove
Justin Wicks Cove
Scott O'Shaughnessy Cove Vice Capt
Tom Fitzpatrick Cove
Michael Shearer Flagstaff Hill
Samuel Smith Flagstaff Hill
Mitchell Johnson Flagstaff Hill U21
Josh Vandermeer Flagstaff Hill
Adrian Albanese Flagstaff Hill U21
Casey Davies Flagstaff Hill U21
David Kearsley Flagstaff Hill
Josh Albanese Flagstaff Hill
Shane Heatley Flagstaff Hill
Toby McAllister Flagstaff Hill
Zakaria Cavouras Flagstaff Hill U21
Samuel Osmond Flagstaff Hill
Bradley Kirk Flagstaff Hill
Benjamin Rossi Flagstaff Hill
Jacob Hughes Happy Valley
Dwayne Ruddock Happy Valley
Keegan Bennetts Morphett Vale
Danny Irvine Noarlunga
Sam Miller Noarlunga
Nick Mott Noarlunga
Tom Mott Noarlunga
Troy Johnson Noarlunga
Chris Minns Noarlunga
Bailey Snelling Noarlunga U21
Nick Steele Port Noarlunga U21
Daniel Trevena Port Noarlunga
Codey Ellison Reynella
Damon Arnold Reynella U21
Jack Carter Reynella
Bodie Sowter Reynella
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Peter Griffen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Can anyone from Reynella explain why when their Ruckman got yellow carded at the 5 min mark of the last 1/4 didn't come back on and they played with 17 for the rest of the game?

Flies look pretty good, well structured and cohesive unit, could threaten the top 3.

I still can't believe that decision :shock: Gets tunnelled and called for too high. Lucky to not be in a wheelchair.

I thought the yellow card was for umpire abuse, Flies were pretty vocal all day about the umps.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Peter Griffen » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:

I thought the yellow card was for umpire abuse, Flies were pretty vocal all day about the umps.

I'm sure it was. Just let the umps know that they were doing a stellar job after he landed on his head and found out the free was against him.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby footy1992 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:20 am

Dutchy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:

I don't think coach Vic is ever happy with the umpires? Never seemed to be such an issue when Gianni was around...
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 29, 2018 1:59 pm

tigerpie wrote:Sfl needs a strong Morphettvale f.c

Says who? The comp ran just fine when they struggled previously.

Football works in cycles, when a club is on decline, someone takes their place. When a club becomes successful, that pushes another down. Maybe Saturday was just Aldinga getting a breakthrough on the way to being a much stronger club over the next 10 years.

Morphett Vale will be fine, they have enough past players and supporters out there. It is time for them to step up now while their club is in need. The ones that are sniping from the sideline need to put their hand up and sort it out.

All these guys over the last 10 years parading around in their MOB tops now need to get involved.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Struggling Aldinga Sharks finally beat Morphett Vale – 67 years after their most recent win over the Emus

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 5b173b683e

ROBERT Menzies was Australia’s Prime Minister, the Korean War was being fought and Dragnet had just premiered on TV the last time Aldinga beat Morphett Vale in an A-grade top-tier match before Saturday.

But the Sharks finally ended their winless drought against the Emus, which had stretched back to May 12, 1951, with an 11.10 (76) to 7.13 (55) home victory at the weekend.

Aldinga Sharks celebrate drought-breaking victory over Morphett Vale

Aldinga president Danny Wilde said Saturday’s result – also the club’s first win in 2018 – brought a smile to the faces of Sharks members, who had endured many thrashings by Morphett Vale in recent seasons.

In 2004, the Emus beat the Sharks 54.26 (350) to 3.1 (19), which was the second-biggest SFL score at the time – behind Morphett Vale’s 56.20 against Aldinga in 1981.

“It was great,” Wilde said.

“A lot of people were coming to me saying ‘if we win this, is this history?’

“I’m going ‘yeah, we haven’t beaten them in a long time’.

“Some people thought 40 years but I knew it’d be more than that.”

Aldinga and Morphett Vale were in different divisions between the Sharks’ reformation in 1977 and the SFL going to one tier in 2001.

The Sharks did not field a team from 1952-77 because it did not have enough players.

They have languished near the bottom of the competition over the past decade, winning a wooden spoon in 2012 and gaining national media attention in 2014 when ex-Hawthorn star Shane Crawford played a one-off game for the battling club.

Morphett Vale has been one of the league’s traditional powerhouses over the past decade but is struggling and winless this season.

Sharks coach Damian Smith said it was an amazing feeling to finally break through for a victory this year after losses of 136, 99, 161, 56 and 100 points to start the season.

“The boys had the belief to get the job done,’’ Smith said.

“It was a nervous time among the coaches as it was a real arm-wrestle early in the last quarter.

“Then we kicked a goal and gained the momentum to kick three goals.

“It is obviously a long time since we have beaten them and we all know they are not the same as before but these little boxes can be ticked off.

“We are heading in the right direction.’’

Nicholas Scanlan, Mathew Beinke and Corey Mathewson were best for Aldinga.

Tim Carratt kicked three goals.

Jack Glazbrook, Adam Rigg and Daniel Bode worked hard for the Emus.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby shoe boy » Tue May 29, 2018 2:45 pm

More reflective of how far Morphett Vale have fallen than how far Aldinga have come on .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 29, 2018 3:11 pm

shoe boy wrote:More reflective of how far Morphett Vale have fallen than how far Aldinga have come on .

Who cares.. can't you just let them have their time in the sun on this one?

Negative Nancy :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue May 29, 2018 3:28 pm

long week in football , Flaggies this week maybe a boil over ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby phossil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Sfl needs a strong Morphettvale f.c

Says who? The comp ran just fine when they struggled previously.

Football works in cycles, when a club is on decline, someone takes their place. When a club becomes successful, that pushes another down. Maybe Saturday was just Aldinga getting a breakthrough on the way to being a much stronger club over the next 10 years.

Morphett Vale will be fine, they have enough past players and supporters out there. It is time for them to step up now while their club is in need. The ones that are sniping from the sideline need to put their hand up and sort it out.

All these guys over the last 10 years parading around in their MOB tops now need to get involved.

Understand your angst LGIL as we probably gave you plenty over the last ten/twenty years. However I don't agree as times are now different. Surely we all want a competition where you have to front up with your A Grade game every week. If you don't then hopefully you get spanked. The Adelaide Football League can achieve it by their promotion and relegation system. We can't. So the challenge is on for us, HV and Aldinga to get to the standard of the top six, if not the league may become unattractive to member clubs. The results for Brighton, Morphettville Park, Marion and Lonsdale in the Adelaide Football League all seem to suggest they have made a good decision.

On a separate topic from what I have seen Flagstaff Hill are on track for another flag. While other teams are okay, the discipline, structures, spread and run of Flaggies is second to none and will need a very good side to beat them on a big oval.
phossil
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Front & Centre » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 am

Phossil I read your post with interest particularly around the area of HV performance and that of FH.
Personally I feel the committee members at HV who decided not to appoint Rod Mitchell to 18s coach few years back have a lot to answer for.
Hope Rod manages a threepeat - don’t know him well but was pretty impressed with his coaching at junior and senior level
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Thumbs Up » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:37 pm

Interesting to read the posts on this forum about clubs going up and down the ladder. It happens every year in every competition but clubs have to limit the damage when it has its turn in the bottom half of the ladder. I think the bigger picture at this stage is the over all product of our Senior competition. Im a strong fan of the SFL and felt that going to 9 teams for the short time was a good concept. On the field, teams play each other twice which gives an even and fair chance to play finals. Off the field it gives the clubs the opportunity to have home and away games so all clubs can make much needed revenue. As an example if Noarlunga in the past had 9 home games but two were against Marion and Lonsdale but did not get home games against Reynella and Morphett Vale, the club gets far less turnover.
The Senior Grades product has fallen away badly with clubs not really improving. With the exception of Flagstaff hill who are a power house at the moment and would be in the top couple of teams in any SFL era. We as a league do not get big name players into it anymore as they drive straight past the SFL clubs and go the GSFL. I think we are seeing the worst crowds and atmosphere at our A Grade games for many many years, if not for ever. Something has to happen urgently or clubs will look at other League options and the SFL will disappear.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby phossil » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Clubs do go up and down the ladder but as you say, always best to minimise the down times as they categorise your club for potential players, both junior and senior, and supporters. The challenge for Morphett Vale is to get back to being competitive as quickly as possible.

The league is certainly in an identity crisis. We haven't the money to attract the marquee players the GSFL can and consequently the football isn't as attractive as it once was. Flagstaff Hill could hold its own against anyone but our competition is still just too uneven for good football every game. As I said previously, we have to get the bottom three up and ensure all teams are competitive. That's a challenge for those three bottom clubs.

Having watched the game today, I must say Reynella were not particularly impressive either, even though they won comfortably. Seemed to lack a couple of talls although I'm told they had several players out.
phossil
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Speaking of MV v Reynella on a Sunday, is it time to scrap this and put these games back on a Saturday where they should be? Our Sunday 15 team was fixtured to play MV at MV today at 12.20pm!!! As MV refused to reschedule to Saturday our boys miss a game this weekend.

Add the increase in female footy on Sundays and facilities are stretched much more on a Sunday than Saturday these days.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 am

Dutchy wrote:Speaking of MV v Reynella on a Sunday, is it time to scrap this and put these games back on a Saturday where they should be? Our Sunday 15 team was fixtured to play MV at MV today at 12.20pm!!! As MV refused to reschedule to Saturday our boys miss a game this weekend.

Add the increase in female footy on Sundays and facilities are stretched much more on a Sunday than Saturday these days.

Ease up Dutchy!
Its a traditional Sunday game and has been for a long time now.
Its a great day for both clubs financially and more importantly socially.
Bit of a ballsup with the fixture though. Everyone knows reynella v MV is on a Sunday.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 am

Just a question, didn't say it had to happen, do you get bigger crowds cause its a Sunday?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby vics01 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 am

Dutchy
Maybe female footy should stay where it was
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times