The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Michael » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

LMA wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Hately,Rozee, Lukosius,Munn,Rankine out to U18 trial match against WA reserves. We owned by and pamper to the AFL. Surely these players improve more playing A Grade.

But yet when the Crows draft one of these lads you'll be over the moon, can't have it both ways. These boys have had one goal in mind since they were young, to play AFL. Yes overall throughout the season playing League would be better for their development but the U18 carnival and any lead up to it is where their focus should be. Nothing new to see here, been happening for years.

So you agree with Goddy .

Not sure he would be over the moon losing a player that his club and others developed. Of course playing league is more beneficial. The AFL will one day wake up and increase the draft age . What are the percentages of players drafted that play AFL in their first year and what are the percentages drafted at the youngest age go on. ?
I have no idea of their goal since they were young and pretty sure you don't either . Can you explain your point please.
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LMA » Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Really need me to explain?
Every player who plays AFL gets developed somewhere fella. In laymen's terms why whinge about players being called up for state or development duties. Been happening forever and a day, well the last 3 decades atleast, that's the landscape of being a feeder comp.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dogs64 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

LMA wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Hately,Rozee, Lukosius,Munn,Rankine out to U18 trial match against WA reserves. We owned by and pamper to the AFL. Surely these players improve more playing A Grade.

But yet when the Crows draft one of these lads you'll be over the moon, can't have it both ways. These boys have had one goal in mind since they were young, to play AFL. Yes overall throughout the season playing League would be better for their development but the U18 carnival and any lead up to it is where their focus should be. Nothing new to see here, been happening for years.

I wouldnt be over the moon. Makes the reserve situation even worse watching your home grown players play against you in the sanfl e.g Milera two years ago in the final. Rather they get drafted interstate.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm

LMA wrote:Really need me to explain?
Every player who plays AFL gets developed somewhere fella. In laymen's terms why whinge about players being called up for state or development duties. Been happening forever and a day, well the last 3 decades atleast, that's the landscape of being a feeder comp.

Really?
I honestly cannot ever remember players being taken out of league games for an under 18 trial game, I can only remember them missing out for the actual tourney.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LMA » Wed May 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
LMA wrote:

I wouldnt be over the moon. Makes the reserve situation even worse watching your home grown players play against you in the sanfl e.g Milera two years ago in the final. Rather they get drafted interstate.

Yeah well yourself like many others don't follow an AFL team. When you say homegrown or developed, how many years would a player be at a SANFL club at junior level before being drafted? I'm guessing 3-4 years, some kids would have been at their local clubs like Pt Districts for up to 10 years before that, yet when one of our own make it to SANFL level we are proud as punch and even prouder if they make it to AFL.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed May 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Really?
I honestly cannot ever remember players being taken out of league games for an under 18 trial game, I can only remember them missing out for the actual tourney.

You think they are just gonna train together for a few months and just rock up and play the real stuff without playing a game together
LMA
Coach

Postby Dogs64 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 pm

LMA wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
LMA wrote:

Yeah well yourself like many others don't follow an AFL team. When you say homegrown or developed, how many years would a player be at a SANFL club at junior level before being drafted? I'm guessing 3-4 years, some kids would have been at their local clubs like Pt Districts for up to 10 years before that, yet when one of our own make it to SANFL level we are proud as punch and even prouder if they make it to AFL.

Theyre not going from pt districts and being drafted by rostrevor to play against you, theyre playing in a higher league, not the same.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Postby Dogs64 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 pm

LMA wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Really?

You think they are just gonna train together for a few months and just rock up and play the real stuff without playing a game together

Like the old state of origin you mean?
Dogs64
Under 16s

Postby LMA » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
LMA wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Really?

Like the old state of origin you mean?

If were talking those times then this argument wouldn't be happening. Most of these kids in question would be playing Ressies at best

And of course players would be playing where they were drafted from, but I'm sure there would be another whingeworthy thread
LMA
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm

LMA interested to hear your point of view.
Booney was shot down for saying he wasn’t surprised to see Port Reserves where they are considering what the coach had to work with.

The reserves were made up of 18 AFL listed players when they played North.
The Reserves are full time professionals who spend everyday either training or being coached.
All of them were draftees from ‘feeder’ leagues like the SANFL, and it goes without saying they were the brightest and best in each of those leagues.
All of them have access to the best in physio, gym facilities, medical and sport science that is available.

They were playing against a team made up of semi-pros who have to train a couple of evenings a week fitting with their full time vocations.

I can see why most would roll their eyes at the suggestion Port has limited talent to work with considering the difference in resources in all aspects.

What’s you POV
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Aerie » Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm

The players hardly ever missed a game of SANFL to play under 18’s. Back in the Pavlich, Hurn or Bryce Gibbs days they’d maybe miss 2 weeks. You’d often get two full seasons out of them. It’s progressively got worse to the point that the competition itself is longer and now they have trial games that they play in preference of SANFL too.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby spell_check » Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Pavlich missed two matches in 1999; though I reckon three weeks overall as a bye was right in the middle of those two matches
I can't exactly see where Hurn missed matches specifically for the lab rats comp, as he missed others
Gibbs missed Rds 11-13 2006, then there was a bye, so possibly four weeks all up
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby LMA » Thu May 31, 2018 12:07 am

johntheclaret wrote:LMA interested to hear your point of view.
Booney was shot down for saying he wasn’t surprised to see Port Reserves where they are considering what the coach had to work with.

The reserves were made up of 18 AFL listed players when they played North.
The Reserves are full time professionals who spend everyday either training or being coached.
All of them were draftees from ‘feeder’ leagues like the SANFL, and it goes without saying they were the brightest and best in each of those leagues.
All of them have access to the best in physio, gym facilities, medical and sport science that is available.

They were playing against a team made up of semi-pros who have to train a couple of evenings a week fitting with their full time vocations.

I can see why most would roll their eyes at the suggestion Port has limited talent to work with considering the difference in resources in all aspects.

What’s you POV

I have always maintained that I thought that the good SANFL teams should be able to beat Port and Adelaide. The reserves were always going to be made up of young lads new into the AFL system, players coming back from injuries or form and list cloggers there for insurance, so I'm not surprised with the inconsistent performances over the years.

I think the whole semi-pro, pro thing gets overstated at times. Most, if not all, SANFL clubs will have personnel with an AFL influence into coaching, fitness, recovery and training programs. Obviously the resources, facilities and time are greater at AFL level but the basic infrastructures are in place at SANFL level and I think you'll find they train more than twice a week and are fitter than you think.

In terms of coaching I think Boon made a good point somewhere about the AFL game plan not holding up against the SANFL playing style. IMO alot of players who get drafted are obviously talented but when they arrive at an AFL club they get stripped right back and tend to lose their natural instinct on how to play, theory before practical in a sense
LMA
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 31, 2018 3:11 am

I didn’t suggest the quality of coaching at sanfl level was semi-pro because it’s clear the clubs in general have a very good set up. Notwithstanding it still won’t be to the same level as an AFL Club.

My semi-pro reference was to the players who either hold down a full time job or are in full time study. This comparison is in stark contrast to the Port Adelaide Reserves who are full time professionals.

There were 18 AFL Listed players running out for PAR last weekend. I think you might be playing down a list whose primary function is to offer cover across any position should a 1st team player get injured or lose form.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby LMA » Thu May 31, 2018 8:15 am

Being on an AFL list doesn't automatically translate into being an AFL standard player that plays in the firsts every week, Brett Eddy, Johan Wagner, John Butcher, high draft pick Toumpas come to mind. Professionalism doesn't work for everyone, probably the reason why the average AFL career is something like 5 years, like I said draftees get stripped back bare and more often than not there instincts get coached out of them to accommodate a game plan, some embrace it and go on to have great careers but a fair chunk fall out the system after just 3 years
LMA
Coach

Postby Michael » Thu May 31, 2018 11:20 pm

Michael wrote:
LMA wrote:

Not sure he would be over the moon losing a player that his club and others developed. Of course playing league is more beneficial. The AFL will one day wake up and increase the draft age . What are the percentages of players drafted that play AFL in their first year and what are the percentages drafted at the youngest age go on. ?
I have no idea of their goal since they were young and pretty sure you don't either . Can you explain your point please.

LMA SAID
Every player who plays AFL gets developed somewhere fella. In laymen's terms why whinge about players being called up for state or development duties. Been happening forever and a day, well the last 3 decades at least, that's the landscape of being a feeder comp.

Well you haven't explained anything . I assume you can read but your reply has nothing to do with anything. Yep I realise every player gets developed at some club and didnt you say its better for their development playing SANFL league rather than U18'S. Can you please explain how you mentioned the Crows .
Michael
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LMA » Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 pm

Michael wrote:
Michael wrote:
LMA wrote:

LMA SAID
Every player who plays AFL gets developed somewhere fella. In laymen's terms why whinge about players being called up for state or development duties. Been happening forever and a day, well the last 3 decades at least, that's the landscape of being a feeder comp.

Well you haven't explained anything . I assume you can read but your reply has nothing to do with anything. Yep I realise every player gets developed at some club and didnt you say its better for their development playing SANFL league rather than U18'S. Can you please explain how you mentioned the Crows .

I can read fine. If you read between the lines I say "overall throughout the season" playing league would be better for their development, meaning compared to just playing U18's or against kids their own age, if you will, throughout the season. Missing a few league games isn't going to hamper any development. As for the Crows reference, I'll let you figure that one out. Hint: the post before my first post on the subject.
Last edited by LMA on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 pm

LMA SAID

and learn how to quote properly
LMA
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am

Michael wrote:Been happening forever and a day

Not for trial games it hasn't. And not this many matches either.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby LMA » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 pm

RB wrote:
Michael wrote:Been happening forever and a day

Not for trial games it hasn't. And not this many matches either.

Hasn't it ? Without knowing any stats could it be a case of there are more juniors playing in the A grade now as the standard has dropped due to the inception of GC and GWS and players chasing coin in the country. It would certainly be more noticeable now if that's the case
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL