NBN

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am

yeah if you can see the tower you should get a very good service.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 am

What does the install look like on your house?
Only reason I ask is a few of our neighbours have weird things on their rooves and I'm curious as to what they are.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 31, 2018 11:35 am

Wedgie wrote:What does the install look like on your house?
Only reason I ask is a few of our neighbours have weird things on their rooves and I'm curious as to what they are.

looks like an antenna on your roof
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 31, 2018 2:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Wedgie wrote:What does the install look like on your house?

looks like an antenna on your roof

Like Foxtel?
I've got a Foxtel dish but its nothing like that.
The neighbours habe like a long rod going skyward with a tiny sat dish on top.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 pm

Like this below, but ours is not circular or as big as this

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 pm

sorry, was meaning to post a photo but then didn't get around to it

like this (that is nuskope's antenna, the Adam one was a flat square/diamond one)

https://www.nuskope.com.au/faq
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 pm

Yep thats them, problem solved. I'm assuming the sub node took a while to get put in the estate and that might have been their only option early on.
Maybe its why our ADSL is so quick, because we're the only one using it! :lol:
Cheers guys!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Just upgraded our NBN to a faster speed and unlimited (was 500gig). Chewed through 900gig in 5 days with the kids going crazy. Had zero issues at all. My boy did an update last night, took seconds whereas he reckons the same update would have taken 10 minutes before. All for an extra $10 a month with iiNet
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby GWW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm

I havent switched to NBN yet, but today I rang iselect and they suggested a 12 month contract with Belong.....$65 + month.

Apparently they are owned by Telstra.

I currently have cable through Telstra.

Ive read some poor reviews re Belong, although not sure these would be reflective of their current NBN deals?

Im not IT-savvy, but I believe that if you live in an area with good infrastructure (which I apparently do), there shouldnt really be any problems.

Customer service though could potentially be an issue.

Anyone got any thoughts on Belong?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby DOC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm

I Select only compare 6 nbn providers, Belong. Dodo, Harbour, I Primus, Optus and My Republic. Slim Pickings.

FWIW, I am with IINET, call centre in Australia, pay $60 for 500GB per month (never use all of it) and have had no major issues over the last 15 years.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well Ive bitten the bullet and signed up with Uniti Wireless, they came and did the install last night and I now have new antenna on my roof, they couldn't get the wiring down our side wall though after 3 hours the installer gave up! Im supposed to get a call today to reschedule another installer to come out for a look, not sure why its so hard, the house is only 10 years old.

So far the service has been less than impressive and I have had to chase them up multiple times, you would have thought they were paying me for it.

Anyway as long as we get it set up correctly and get much better speeds than we are getting (7-8 range) Ill be happy. Will update when its all done.

I bet you're not saying this now - Uniti were great when they first started and now I have no connection at the slightest breath of wind or weather.

I've been told today that our street now has NBN (Finally)

But - I've been looking at the plans and the basic plans have lower speeds than my fixed wireless but cost twice as much. It's only me in the house unless my brother is home from his swing and he's glued to his x-box when he's home.

Im so confused
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:26 pm

We got NBN finally connected last night, after a lot of study I went with a company called Tangerine.
Stoked with the service so far, no drop outs, fastest possible speed and unlimited downloads for much cheaper than other companies.
Rang them to get some I go to key into my router and was pleasantly surprised to find I was talking to someone in Adelaide.
All connected within minutes of turning off the ADSL.
Happy as a pig in shit atm.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:35 am

I'm using NBN 50 via Internode. 100GB plan for $54.95 per month does me as we usually use less than 35GB even with frequent use of Netflix. Of course there are no gaming addicts - adult or child - here.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:03 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Well Ive bitten the bullet and signed up with Uniti Wireless, they came and did the install last night and I now have new antenna on my roof, they couldn't get the wiring down our side wall though after 3 hours the installer gave up! Im supposed to get a call today to reschedule another installer to come out for a look, not sure why its so hard, the house is only 10 years old.

So far the service has been less than impressive and I have had to chase them up multiple times, you would have thought they were paying me for it.

Anyway as long as we get it set up correctly and get much better speeds than we are getting (7-8 range) Ill be happy. Will update when its all done.

I bet you're not saying this now - Uniti were great when they first started and now I have no connection at the slightest breath of wind or weather.

But - I've been looking at the plans and the basic plans have lower speeds than my fixed wireless but cost twice as much. It's only me in the house unless my brother is home from his swing and he's glued to his x-box when he's home.

Im so confused

Only just seen this, how far from the tower are you?

We can see the tower we plug into from our backyard, so with a clear line of sight our service is excellent, even when the tower went down for 24 hours a few months back they automatically took 25% off the monthly bill.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Im so confused

Only just seen this, how far from the tower are you?

We can see the tower we plug into from our backyard, so with a clear line of sight our service is excellent, even when the tower went down for 24 hours a few months back they automatically took 25% off the monthly bill.

I'm literally across the road from the tower. About 30m away. I still haven't moved to NBN yet
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:40 pm

At last I can take full advantage of my NBN 50 service...

I've retired my old Toshie 10" celeron based portable used mainly for travel and email, with a Lenovo 14" IdeaPad 5, with a fast wifi receiver, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD, which I got at a 30% discount on via Velocity.

The only negative was the setting up, as it comes with a control system that assumes you want to synchronise everything with one of the standard cloud services. So my plan to use Mozbackup copies of my saved log-ins to transfer into the new Firefox installation were scrambled because the new Firefox version is not compatible with Mozbackup, which had also not recorded some changes on the old machine since recent Firefox updates there. (Thanks for the non-warning Firefox guys!)

I finally managed to turn most of the unwanted stuff off and it now boots very fast and opens sites fast. The negative is that I have had to scrap Firefox for the Vivaldi Browser which at least lets me use a - not saved in the computer system - personal Encryption Code for on line back ups of logins in future. The presentation of Thunderbird was modified too but I managed to work around that. (My banking log-ins of course are only saved in my memory and in cryptic form hidden in a safe place.)

Now I have it under control my other laptop (17" ASUS) and my old desktop machine look like becoming redundant with the Lenovo plugged into an external monitor when at home.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm

Bump ...

Fibre upgrade rollouts (from FttN & FttC) should either be done or well underway. Sincere condolences to those on HFC.

Thanks to Tones and Mal for f***ing it up and delaying the inevitable by implementing the clusterfaark known as MTM, which has taken years to unfaark.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby mal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:10 pm

It wasent me
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 890 times