The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:08 pm

Not sure they got quorum tonight....
Bring on November
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11804 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am

Yes, but will people actually give a toss?
It's easy to sit on FB and whine and carp, but voting numbers suggests that that's as involved as people like to get.
I hope this trend changes.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 am

morell wrote:All over a golf membership, an apple watch and some flowers.

And we want Councils to be less risk adverse?

Ridiculous

Who wants councils to be "less risk adverse"?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby morell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:All over a golf membership, an apple watch and some flowers.

And we want Councils to be less risk adverse?

Ridiculous

Who wants councils to be "less risk adverse"?
lots of people on the "efficiency" side. Like Trader. Who view the constant bum covering and double/triple checking everything as a somewhat redundant process.

And I'd agree!

But this is why Council's go to the extreme to manage every minutiae. One mistake, or even the *perception* of a mistake, and you're on Today Tonight "wasting ratepayers time and money".
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby stan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am

At the end of the day the rate payers will judge you on performance. If the parks and community centres are well looked after and services such as waste collection for example is sorted the most people arent going to give a crap about council politics.

To me and from conversations with plenty of people, the general consensus is that your average joe is over the political squabbles. Just wants the job to get done without having massive rate hikes.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby morell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:33 am

stan wrote:At the end of the day the rate payers will judge you on performance. If the parks and community centres are well looked after and services such as waste collection for example is sorted the most people arent going to give a crap about council politics.

To me and from conversations with plenty of people, the general consensus is that your average joe is over the political squabbles. Just wants the job to get done without having massive rate hikes.
Agree.

Onkaparinga are an industry leading Council and are often at the top on awards nights.

Again it comes back to perception of value.

I've right now got two e-mails on top of each other. One resident has said I'm the best thing since sliced bread and a wonderful asset to Council. The one below it is borderline abusive. They're addressing the same issue.
morell
Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 am

morell wrote:
stan wrote:At the end of the day the rate payers will judge you on performance. If the parks and community centres are well looked after and services such as waste collection for example is sorted the most people arent going to give a crap about council politics.

Agree.

Onkaparinga are an industry leading Council and are often at the top on awards nights.

I've right now got two e-mails on top of each other. One resident has said I'm the best thing since sliced bread and a wonderful asset to Council. The one below it is borderline abusive. They're addressing the same issue.

Let me help you.
The second one is correct.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby morell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am

Trader wrote:
morell wrote:

Agree.

Let me help you.
The second one is correct.
Lellllll I probably left a fair gap between bat and pad for that one.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:18 pm

I disagree. You can give the public everything. They don't actually care about what's going on around them, the value these parks add or anything like that. All they care about is that they're paying money. They don't care what they're paying for. Just that they're paying for it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

I disagree. You can give the public everything. They don't actually care about what's going on around them, the value these parks add or anything like that. All they care about is that they're paying money. They don't care what they're paying for. Just that they're paying for it.

@Jimmy :D
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:04 am

ICYMI, South Australia became a net electricity exporter for first time in the last 3 months.

#thankyouJay
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:59 am

Q. wrote:ICYMI, South Australia became a net electricity exporter for first time in the last 3 months.

#thankyouJay
Also temporary fencing with white shade cloth was installed at the N RAH Emergency Department ambulance parking bay yesterday to protect patients waiting for a bed in the world's most expensive building..... Thanks Jay [emoji849]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby stan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Q. wrote:ICYMI, South Australia became a net electricity exporter for first time in the last 3 months.

#thankyouJay
Yes we are a Net exporter but we lack one more decent generation source.

When the wind is blowing our power on the spot market us cheap. When its not blowing like today for example we struggle.

Today is an example. Image
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Sorry I had some issues uploading some price graphs from AEMOs nem dispatch page.
stan
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 am

stan wrote:

#thankyouJay

When the wind is blowing our power on the spot market us cheap. When its not blowing like today for example we struggle.

Yes, gas determines price at any point in time, but considering we once imported 30% of electricity demand, this is a significant milestone.

Also, wind generation only a fraction of RE.

Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am

On energy, NSW were issues with an LOR1 for today. Thats no big deal in itself but when you are import 1.2GW from Queensland and 500MW from Victoria that LOR1 looks a bit more ugly.

Thats a solid total of 1.7GW of importing power.

Thats a fair slug of energy there.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 am

Q. wrote:
stan wrote:

#thankyouJay

Yes, gas determines price at any point in time, but considering we once imported 30% of electricity demand, this is a significant milestone.

Also, wind generation only a fraction of RE.

True, but as I said we are lacking that one generation source at the moment. Im not saying coal is or was the answer. As I know the details of the Northern plant closure but we need something.

A interconnector to NSW is interesting but considering that today they are themselves importing 1.7GW of power kind of doesnt look like the best option.
stan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm

$20m??? Explains the anti rate capping stance. Nothing like self interest to colour the eyes

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... b71b4307e6
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Next time the Libs want to have a serious crack at winning Mayo maybe they should pick someone who has actually lived in the State (let alone the area) in the past 20 years. And also someone who isn't an IPA lemming, and not pick someone merely because of their last name.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... a9dd38d402
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Not often do I say this....

Rest of the world...>>>>>

South Australia...<<<<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The South Australian Government wants to dramatically increase penalties for marijuana possession, as it wages what it says is a "war on drugs".

The maximum fine for cannabis possession would be quadrupled to $2,000 under laws to be introduced to Parliament this week.

A new maximum prison sentence of two years would be introduced — the same as drugs such as ecstasy or heroin.

Attorney-General Vickie Chapman said marijuana needed to be treated the same as other controlled and illegal drugs, rather than like jaywalking.

Cannabis possession has been decriminalised in South Australia since 1987, and the most common penalty for possessing less than 25 grams is a $125 fine.

Quadrupling cannabis possession fines was a Liberal election promise as part of a "war on drugs" slogan.

Other measures included allowing drug-sniffing dogs into schools.

"The plan is to review and increase penalties across the board, from using to supplying, and reducing the opportunity to say, 'well, I'll have treatment," Ms Chapman said.

"We're bringing it into parity [with other drugs]."

Ms Chapman said too many people were taking advantage of a drug diversion program, which they will now only be allowed to go to twice in a four-year period.

"If we give people a chance to have treatment a couple of times, that's fine, but really this a limit on how lenient we can be in giving people a chance to have treatment instead of a penalty," she said.

"…We endorse that that's an opportunity that should be given, but third time around you don't get that opportunity."

Increasing fines for cannabis possession was a recommendation of deputy coroner Anthony Schapel in his 2017 findings into the murder of 18-year-old Lewis McPherson by 17-year-old Liam Humbles in 2012.

Police issued Humbles with a drug diversion notice because he said cannabis in his possession was for personal use.

Opposition to changes from lawyers, doctors and the Greens

The Law Society of South Australia said it would prefer drug use to be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one.

The chair of the society's criminal law committee, Rachael Shaw said the new laws would clog up an already busy and stretched justice system.

"The society does not support at all the idea in particular that we remove or limit the ability of people to access counselling and education through what is now the diversion program, which has been in place for many years and instead put these people in the criminal justice system," Ms Shaw told ABC Radio Adelaide.

Dr David Caldicott, the clinical lead at the Australian National University's Australian Medicinal Cannabis Observatory, questioned whether the laws would decrease use or harm from marijuana.

"We know for a fact introducing harsher penalties does neither of those things," Dr Caldicott said.

"Maybe it's to generate revenue.

"The likeliest scenario for its purpose is to send a message to those who support these policies — it's a form of virtue-signalling."

Rather than a war on drugs, Greens MLC Tammy Franks said the proposed laws were "a war on the homeless, Aboriginal people and the poor" who were least able to afford to defend themselves in court.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics