Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:43 pm

JK wrote:I didnt say he was, I implied he was possibly under perceived pressure - Also said I understand the rule so didn't dispute it was a correct call, just don't like it being applied that way.

Fair enough. either they need to pay it alot more like they have with deliberate OOB or just scrap it all together. Who cares if theres 20 rushed behinds, at least it clears the congestion, cant be a bad thing
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:46 pm

goddy11 wrote:
JK wrote:I didnt say he was, I implied he was possibly under perceived pressure - Also said I understand the rule so didn't dispute it was a correct call, just don't like it being applied that way.

It is a stupid rule created by over reaction to what was happening a few years ago. Why did we not leave this as a rushed behind regardless. Both sides can do it a defensive action. Same as the rule was changed because the port ruckman a few years ago was becoming good at retrieving a thrown in ball. The AFL rules guys need sacking.

Agree total knee jerk reaction by the rules committee, just like taking the legs rule from the Lindsay Thomas incident. Yet they find it reasonable to dish out 50m penalties for a player entering a protected zone where most of the time has no significant impact on the player with the ball whatsoever. Rubbish
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Spargo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:52 pm

LMA wrote:just like taking the legs rule from the Lindsay Thomas incident.

Don’t get me started, the biggest over action ever.
Rewarding players second to the ball.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Spargo wrote:

Rubbish, the real good players get the ball without having to go to ground and put their body over the ball. Going to ground and diving in is the way of the unskilled footballer. Always taught to keep your feet. Its a great rule imo
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MW » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 pm

We get what we deserve, unless it was the umpires fault :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby LMA » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Rubbish, the real good players get the ball without having to go to ground and put their body over the ball. Going to ground and diving in is the way of the unskilled footballer. Always taught to keep your feet. Its a great rule imo

They are getting pinged when bending to pick the ball up
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby JK » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Fair enough. either they need to pay it alot more like they have with deliberate OOB or just scrap it all together. Who cares if theres 20 rushed behinds, at least it clears the congestion, cant be a bad thing

A bit like trial by video initially brought In for the bad hits, now pings ball players who are a nanosecond late - I have no problem with the rushed rule to stamp out the Joel Bowden's of the game, but imho as usual they've gone too far with it. My problem with the one today is the Port lad was attempting to mark whilst facing the Hawks goal - How's he supposed to focus on the ball and whetheran opponent might be behind him or not? Generally if you spill a mark 5-10 mietres from the opponents goal it would be a fair assumption an opponent will swoop like a seagull.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:47 am

LMA wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:

They are getting pinged when bending to pick the ball up

Correct

Spargo
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Im coming to the conclusion that Port are very poorly coached, they have the talent in their squad to win games like yesterday yet cannot seem to put it all together. They should have been running all over the Hawks on the last 1/4 yesterday but looked like they were out on their feet. Be interested in Port fan's views on how they are coached.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 pm

They've just got back from travelling half way around the world, of course they're going to be out on their feet! Some of the players even continued onto Europe after the previous game.
With the closeness of the game it appears the China trip cost them 4 points.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jase » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Huh, didn't they have a bye last week?

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Jase wrote:Huh, didn't they have a bye last week?

Yes and most of them were overseas still for it.
Thwy got a week off after th e China game to explore the world, some went to Europe, some even considered the US but not sure if tbey got there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Thwy got a week off after th e China game to explore the world, some went to Europe, some even considered the US but not sure if tbey got there.

Then that’s their fault. A mid season European jaunt (is this confirmed?) can’t be used as an excuse for not running out a game, post a bye.
Surely you’d come straight home from China & work on your rehab & prepare for yesterday’s game?

Spargo
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Then that’s their fault. A mid season European jaunt (is this confirmed?) can’t be used as an excuse for not running out a game, post a bye.
Surely you’d come straight home from China & work on your rehab & prepare for yesterday’s game?

Didn't say it wasn't their fault. I was most surprised when Charlie Dixon was interviewed and said what was going on. He was up in Cairns at the time.
He talked about the players who were in Europe was a matter of common fact but seemed quite sheepish when asked about the report some players had gone to the US for NBA playoffs almost as though that wasn't allowed but Europe was fine with the club and he didn't want to get anyone in trouble.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Didn't say it wasn't their fault. I was most surprised when Charlie Dixon was interviewed and said what was going on. He was up in Cairns at the time.
He talked about the players who were in Europe was a matter of common fact but seemed quite sheepish when asked about the report some players had gone to the US for NBA playoffs almost as though that wasn't allowed but Europe was fine with the club and he didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Fair call.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:Im coming to the conclusion that Port are very poorly coached, they have the talent in their squad to win games like yesterday yet cannot seem to put it all together. They should have been running all over the Hawks on the last 1/4 yesterday but looked like they were out on their feet. Be interested in Port fan's views on how they are coached.

I'm a Port supporter and I think they're well coached. Have a look at the games they've won, not just the ones we've lost.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Surely players haven’t taken off when they were told not to? I’m staggered players are travelling through Europe on a Bye week. I would like to know how many other clubs are allowing their players to travel to the other side of the world in the next few weeks.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby carey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

If anyone believes the players were anywhere without the clubs knowledge you’re kidding yourselves.

For starters the club most know the location of each player (within reason) for drug testing procedures that can be taken anytime.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:08 pm

carey wrote:If anyone believes the players were anywhere without the clubs knowledge you’re kidding yourselves.

For starters the club most know the location of each player (within reason) for drug testing procedures that can be taken anytime.

Correct however, the AFLPA make sure that they can't restrict what players do during their break/bye, mind you they only had 4 days so that restricts what you can do.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
carey wrote:If anyone believes the players were anywhere without the clubs knowledge you’re kidding yourselves.

Correct however, the AFLPA make sure that they can't restrict what players do during their break/bye, mind you they only had 4 days so that restricts what you can do.
Can understand a short holiday within Australia, essentially recovery and maintain fitness. Long haul overseas trips is just dumb from the players, given the timeframe you would be spending just about as much time in the air as on the ground.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL