Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby spot on » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 am

vics01 wrote:Dutchy
Maybe female footy should stay where it was

Yeah on the netball court.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 am

If ever Vics01 is on the missing persons list - just mention female football on SA Footy. Always flushes him out :D
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 am

phossil wrote:The Adelaide Football League can achieve it by their promotion and relegation system. We can't. So the challenge is on for us, HV and Aldinga to get to the standard of the top six, if not the league may become unattractive to member clubs. The results for Brighton, Morphettville Park, Marion and Lonsdale in the Adelaide Football League all seem to suggest they have made a good decision.

SFL is going through some change, but change that should stabilise the comp and strengthen it long term. This season 7 of the 9 clubs are competitive, not unusual in any league to have a couple struggling.

I went to an Ammo game on the weekend and it confirmed to me we have so many positives over the AdFL compared to the negatives and the standard is still very good in comparison. With our longest drive north to south being 30 mins, our juniors playing on the same day, many players and supporters know each other either via school/work/other sports and that community feel and rivalry is something that can't be replicated in the metro comp.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby scottroo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Which game did you go to?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

scottroo wrote:Which game did you go to?

St Marys
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:
scottroo wrote:Which game did you go to?

St Marys

to be fair, you went and saw Kenilworth... So I understand your negative sentiments

;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Thumbs Up wrote:Interesting to read the posts on this forum about clubs going up and down the ladder. It happens every year in every competition but clubs have to limit the damage when it has its turn in the bottom half of the ladder. I think the bigger picture at this stage is the over all product of our Senior competition. Im a strong fan of the SFL and felt that going to 9 teams for the short time was a good concept. On the field, teams play each other twice which gives an even and fair chance to play finals. Off the field it gives the clubs the opportunity to have home and away games so all clubs can make much needed revenue. As an example if Noarlunga in the past had 9 home games but two were against Marion and Lonsdale but did not get home games against Reynella and Morphett Vale, the club gets far less turnover.
The Senior Grades product has fallen away badly with clubs not really improving. With the exception of Flagstaff hill who are a power house at the moment and would be in the top couple of teams in any SFL era. We as a league do not get big name players into it anymore as they drive straight past the SFL clubs and go the GSFL. I think we are seeing the worst crowds and atmosphere at our A Grade games for many many years, if not for ever. Something has to happen urgently or clubs will look at other League options and the SFL will disappear.

Have to disagree on this, so far this season we have seen increased revenue at the gate, bbq & canteen with a definite increase in attendance. The standard on Saturday (and in some previous weeks) was some of the highest quality I have seen over the past 25 years. Every week has been reasonably competitive, without the traditional "loss making" games against some of the clubs that have left where visiting crowds were almost non-existent.

We have a very good top 6 at the moment, and the bottom three are in no way as far behind as the bottom clubs have been in previous seasons. In better shape the Hills FL at the moment where only the top 5 are competitive and their C-Grade competition has collapsed, and I would argue in better shape than Great Southern at the moment, where 2 teams are not close to being competitive (average losing margin > 80 points), one of those having to combine junior teams with another club that is struggling to field junior teams. It seems a lot of the criticism/praise is based on reputation from 5 years ago rather than what is actually happening at the moment.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Thumbs Up wrote:Interesting to read the posts on this forum about clubs going up and down the ladder. It happens every year in every competition but clubs have to limit the damage when it has its turn in the bottom half of the ladder. I think the bigger picture at this stage is the over all product of our Senior competition. Im a strong fan of the SFL and felt that going to 9 teams for the short time was a good concept. On the field, teams play each other twice which gives an even and fair chance to play finals. Off the field it gives the clubs the opportunity to have home and away games so all clubs can make much needed revenue. As an example if Noarlunga in the past had 9 home games but two were against Marion and Lonsdale but did not get home games against Reynella and Morphett Vale, the club gets far less turnover.
The Senior Grades product has fallen away badly with clubs not really improving. With the exception of Flagstaff hill who are a power house at the moment and would be in the top couple of teams in any SFL era. We as a league do not get big name players into it anymore as they drive straight past the SFL clubs and go the GSFL. I think we are seeing the worst crowds and atmosphere at our A Grade games for many many years, if not for ever. Something has to happen urgently or clubs will look at other League options and the SFL will disappear.

Have to disagree on this, so far this season we have seen increased revenue at the gate, bbq & canteen with a definite increase in attendance. The standard on Saturday (and in some previous weeks) was some of the highest quality I have seen over the past 25 years. Every week has been reasonably competitive, without the traditional "loss making" games against some of the clubs that have left where visiting crowds were almost non-existent.

We have a very good top 6 at the moment, and the bottom three are in no way as far behind as the bottom clubs have been in previous seasons. In better shape the Hills FL at the moment where only the top 5 are competitive and their C-Grade competition has collapsed, and I would argue in better shape than Great Southern at the moment, where 2 teams are not close to being competitive (average losing margin > 80 points), one of those having to combine junior teams with another club that is struggling to field junior teams. It seems a lot of the criticism/praise is based on reputation from 5 years ago rather than what is actually happening at the moment.

Please explain how any of this has to do with proactive decisions that the league has made? The fact is no changes were made year on year and clubs made their own decision to leave. Nothing has changed just the amount of teams. Christies are experiencing some wins so the bogans come out of the woodwork to "support". Our crowds have been well down on usual and that is probably due to poor results as the bogans jump off the bandwagon again.

Your comment that the footy is some of the highest quality in the last 25 years is laughable. There are B grade sides from the last 25 years that would give some of the current A grade* sides a run for their money. At least 2 A graders for Reynella yesterday in years gone by were barely B graders. They hadn't improved as footballers that's for sure.

*yes MV, we are average at the moment before you roll out your MV are shit so the sky is falling argument.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 am

12 FHFC boys in SFL team :shock:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

SFL side for Strathalbyn ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 am

shoe boy wrote:SFL side for Strathalbyn ?
Flagstaff Hill A grade with a few top ups from rival clubs......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Luke15 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 am

heater31 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:SFL side for Strathalbyn ?
Flagstaff Hill A grade with a few top ups from rival clubs......

So it should be, they are clear on top and easily The best side in the comp
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Front & Centre » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

LGIL with internal issues between committee and football departments plaguing 2 of the bottom 3 clubs it may be a while before we see these once mighty clubs rise up the ladder again. Clubs need to be all rowing in same direction to achieve on field success and both MV & HV have a history of management getting involved with on field and selection decisions.
I believe this is still the case at HV
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:21 pm

So SFL not in that bad a shape after a win today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby DOC » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Score?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Tiger83 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 pm

neverwas neverwillbe wrote:So SFL not in that bad a shape after a win today?

If only both Associations could field the best players from each comp. Have it as the best of the best or as a strictly under 23 type game. Either way, these games generate little interest from players anymore, and are heading the way of State of Origin. It’s a real shame because I remember as a kid always going to the Mortlock Shield games knowing it was best Vs. The best.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:57 pm

DOC wrote:Score?

GSFL 15-8-98
SFL 17-7-109

Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby King » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Tiger83 wrote:

If only both Associations could field the best players from each comp. Have it as the best of the best or as a strictly under 23 type game. Either way, these games generate little interest from players anymore, and are heading the way of State of Origin. It’s a real shame because I remember as a kid always going to the Mortlock Shield games knowing it was best Vs. The best.

I was there today. Thought it was a good quality and high standard game. GSFL better skills, SFL more grunt. Would not have picked the winner at 3/4 time. But to your point, you never get best of the best at this level. Heard a couple of GSFL supporters saying they didn’t have him or him. SFL saying the same thing. No different to any inter league match including SAFL/VFL/WAFL..
Personally don’t think U 23’s is an answer. In fact reckon a backward step. As a SFL supporter, totally jealous of the Strath facilities
To finish, lucky the GSFL weren’t playing the full Flaggies A grade team!!!!!!!
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Tiger83 wrote:

Apart from losing its a bad reflection on their league if they cant get their best out on the deck.

Many said last year was a once off fluke, but now on their own deck after holding a 20 point lead at the final break it must sting.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:
phossil wrote:The Adelaide Football League can achieve it by their promotion and relegation system. We can't. So the challenge is on for us, HV and Aldinga to get to the standard of the top six, if not the league may become unattractive to member clubs. The results for Brighton, Morphettville Park, Marion and Lonsdale in the Adelaide Football League all seem to suggest they have made a good decision.

SFL is going through some change, but change that should stabilise the comp and strengthen it long term. This season 7 of the 9 clubs are competitive, not unusual in any league to have a couple struggling.

I went to an Ammo game on the weekend and it confirmed to me we have so many positives over the AdFL compared to the negatives and the standard is still very good in comparison. With our longest drive north to south being 30 mins, our juniors playing on the same day, many players and supporters know each other either via school/work/other sports and that community feel and rivalry is something that can't be replicated in the metro comp.

How can you use a game of division 5 footy as a comparison to the SFL standard overall? Division 5 aren't World beaters but it's still a solid standard.

In contrary an Ammos supporter from a div 2 club could go watch Happy Valley vs Morphett Vale and tell you that the league is going down the toilet.

The rest is your own opinion but to compare standards on that makes absolutely no sense.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL