Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby morell » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:41 am

Nah. Said the same things last time.

He's a very savvy operator and will be holding for a maximum deal.

He'll get it, Boon will put the article in here, we'll quote this post, have a laugh and move on
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 am

bennymacca wrote:Wines: "I'm still weighing it up at this stage.

"This is my sixth year in the system and whatever length I sign, it probably sees me for another two or three years, so after that time, I think you're fairly settled.

"I'm not to that stage yet, but I see myself as fairly settled and there's no point uprooting myself to move interstate again to go play at another club.

"That adds a little bit more to the decision I need to make, because this may be the last time I look at going anywhere."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-05/l ... ill-unsure

Good on him for being honest about it, but I would be pretty concerned as a port fan

My mail is he's not going anywhere and it will be 3 years at least.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:07 pm

amber_fluid wrote:The PAFC I knew existed to win premierships not just make finals and produce spreadsheets with member numbers and a few $$ signs.

Port Power exist to win sponsorships. ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:The PAFC I knew existed to win premierships not just make finals and produce spreadsheets with member numbers and a few $$ signs.

Port Power exist to win sponsorships. ;)

regards,

REB

That's how they roll down at GMHBAHJASKFHGJEANBGET Stadium, straight to the point.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Friday night will be Tom Rockliff's first ever Friday night game.

His 162nd game in his 10th AFL season.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Booney wrote:Friday night will be Tom Rockliff's first ever Friday night game.

How many would he have played if Carlton took him at pick 4 of the pre-season draft ahead of Brisbane? :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 pm

The Bedge wrote:

How many would he have played if Carlton took him at pick 4 of the pre-season draft ahead of Brisbane? :D

None.
He wouldn’t have made our team.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:45 pm

amber_fluid wrote:None.

I suppose. He's no Josh Bootsma! :lol:

Chris Johnson proved good value though with his 15 games haha!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

None.

:lol:

That's right, Cam O'Shea would have kept him out. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 pm

The Bedge wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:None.

I suppose. He's no Josh Bootsma! :lol:

Chris Johnson proved good value though with his 15 games haha!

Rocky couldn’t do sexting(is that what they called it?) like Josh did.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

None.

:lol:

That's right, Cam O'Shea would have kept him out. :lol:

Yeah just yell out when you want O’Shea and that dopey Lobbe back won’t you.
There all yours.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Get them in: Veteran Lindsay Thomas booted four goals in the SANFL last week to push his claims for a senior recall for Friday night's clash with Richmond. Defender Jasper Pittard is also due for a return, while Jack Trengove will be close.

Under the pump:Dan Houston could be the one to make way for Pittard. Small forwards Jake Neade and Sam Gray will be under pressure from Thomas.

Medical room: Forward Todd Marshall could be recalled after missing the SANFL game last week with a shoulder issue, but probably needs a week in the SANFL.

Verdict: Probably two changes. Pittard for Houston, and Thomas for Neade. - Lee Gaskin
The Bedge
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Or just maybe Port supporters overrate their list and this is as good as it gets?
Every now and then supporters have to take off their rose coloured glasses, I have a long time time ago and find it much easier now to just accept our list is dogshit

Our list is pretty reflective of where we are atm.

We picked up three blokes that promised the world but so far have only delivered an atlas.

We do have a squad full of exceptional talent, the problem is that not many of them display it consistent enough nor do we see 75% of the team playing to their ability on the same day as each other.

We really only have Wines, Ryder and Robbie that produce week in/week out, too many pop up for the occasional blinder but go missing too often, eg: Westhoff, Wingard, Ebert, Boak, Chuck.

Others need to play more than one good game for the club eg: Motlop, Watts, Rockliff.

Then there's Neade.

Harsh on the Hoff, has been very consistent this year.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:Get them in: Veteran Lindsay Thomas booted four goals in the SANFL last week to push his claims for a senior recall for Friday night's clash with Richmond. Defender Jasper Pittard is also due for a return, while Jack Trengove will be close.

Under the pump:Dan Houston could be the one to make way for Pittard. Small forwards Jake Neade and Sam Gray will be under pressure from Thomas.

Medical room: Forward Todd Marshall could be recalled after missing the SANFL game last week with a shoulder issue, but probably needs a week in the SANFL.

Verdict: Probably two changes. Pittard for Houston, and Thomas for Neade. - Lee Gaskin

cc Booney
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 am

Don’t quite enjoy doing the write ups as much after a loss, but as in all good organizations you can learn as much from doing something badly as you can from doing something well.

We jumped out like a stabbed rat, the first 15 minutes was all Port Adelaide and collectively our hopes would have risen. Dixon led up and grabbed a couple on the edge of the arc and sent the ball to the goal front where R.Gray worked some early magic, Robbie had 2 and gave one to Watts who promptly found himself with a second before the Hawks could settle and an early 4 goal lead was a real positive. We don’t always start well, we certainly did on Saturday. Most pleasing was the “front half” football we played, getting the ball inside 50 and locking it in by causing turnovers created by our defensive zone that pushes up the ground. I wrote about our back 7 a couple of times early in the year, it’s been missing a little for the last month or so but we found it in the first quarter on Saturday. Then we lost it, or someone took it from us.

When it comes to coach v coach there wouldn’t be many who can say they have the upper hand over Clarko and that’s precisely what occurred over the next hour as the 2nd and 3rd quarters were played completely on Hawthorns terms. The forward half dried up, 1 point in the 2nd quarter and 1.3 in the 3rd, our defence played around with it far too much and the midfield must have been losing their minds as they won stoppage after stoppage only to see the ball turned over through the half forward line and go straight back into the F50 for the Hawks. Most disappointing was how “high” we turned the ball over. It wasn’t even getting into our forward 50 before the Hawthorn defence bounced it back out. Just 38 I50’s for the match, you’re not going to kick winning scores with that few entries, you just can’t.

The Hawks pushed their defenders high, like we like too, right up to the wings and outnumbered us at the contest. Our defenders weren’t willing to switch, or run and gun to break the lines and as a consequence we found ourselves kicking long down the line to a contest where smart play from the Hawks had Sicily or Gunston waiting unattended. If you read my review of the Magpies game last week this would sound familiar.

Question is, how can we overcome this? Firstly, despite the form I saw a week ago I think Pittard needs to come back in, probably at the expense of Houston (more on him later) who looks to be lacking some confidence with ball in hand. Pittard has the ability to run and carry and we need to move the ball faster out of defence. When we lose, or look ineffective in the front half, it’s usually from our carry through the middle and when sides sit on Polec through the middle we lose some drive. Motlop was brought into the side to add to this and whilst I think he’s been the most consistent of the recruits ( bar Shanghai ) I want more from him. More run and carry, more loose ball as he did on the weekend.

The other issue I see is the 4 tall’s in defence. Howard must remain in the side, his extra height and reach allows him to play on the beanpole opposition forwards. Jonas, one of our most consistent all year must stay, his flexibility tall and small is a must for us, however Hombsch and Clurey both in the side can, in my view, make us a little slow in the transition mentioned above and we might need to have one of them back at SANFL level for some better balance and more run from defence. This might earn a reprieve for Houston against the smaller Tigers forward line this week. It might also allow him to play the role as the 7th defender that we saw from him last year where he used the ball so well out of the back half.

Very pleasing signs from Ryder, jumped all over McEvoy and gave us first lick of the lollipop more often than not. Perhaps having his best individual season Westhoff was roaming and covering half of Tasmania, he’s in great form, perhaps we could add him deep into the forward half? It’s where we have 4 of our most out of touch, Dixon, Wingard, S.Gray and Neade all struggle with slow movement from the back half but to be fair all have been a little off in recent weeks, more consistency of effort required from the 3 smaller blokes mentioned and perhaps some more midfield minutes for Dixon to get him into the game.

Boon's best – Ryder, Westhoff, R.Gray, Jonas ( Honourable mentioned to Rockliff, while quiet he stopped Mitchell in the 2nd half but I couldn’t have him in our best ).

Looking forward to a big 3 weeks at home coming up. The Game Day Village and Magarey Room bars will benefit from my attendance and with a wet night forecast for Friday night I’ll see you in the Peter Carey Bar of you’re thirsty (or cold)! If we can win 2 of 3 we have at home we’ll head into the back half of the year with a positive ledger and can look at what we face in the race to the 8 from there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 am

Dutchy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Get them in: Veteran Lindsay Thomas booted four goals in the SANFL last week to push his claims for a senior recall for Friday night's clash with Richmond. Defender Jasper Pittard is also due for a return, while Jack Trengove will be close.

cc Booney

In - Pittard, Thomas
Out - Hombsch, Booney
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:56 am

Problem is Clurey is a great match up for Jacky boy. We need him.

I'm with Boon, I'd drop Hombsch for Pittard before Houston.

Would love to bring Marshall in. It hasn't surprised me we've struggled since his absence.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:03 pm

morell wrote:Problem is Clurey is a great match up for Jacky boy. We need him.

I'm with Boon, I'd drop Hombsch for Pittard before Houston.

Would love to bring Marshall in. It hasn't surprised me we've struggled since his absence.

Not sure they can, he looked short of a gallop against North Adelaide and then didn't play against South. Can't bring him in on that form / fitness I reckon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Wines: "I'm still weighing it up at this stage.

"This is my sixth year in the system and whatever length I sign, it probably sees me for another two or three years, so after that time, I think you're fairly settled.

"I'm not to that stage yet, but I see myself as fairly settled and there's no point uprooting myself to move interstate again to go play at another club.

"That adds a little bit more to the decision I need to make, because this may be the last time I look at going anywhere."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-05/l ... ill-unsure

Good on him for being honest about it, but I would be pretty concerned as a port fan

My mail is he's not going anywhere and it will be 3 years at least.

Be interesting to see if he gets a 5 year deal. There was rumblings from Essendon about a month ago that we had offered him 5 years on better coin but his management told the club he was committed to Port so we dropped off.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MW » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

5 years on better coin vs 2-3 years on reduced coin to force PA to a higher wage as a FA? Risky move Ollie.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL