Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Just an observation:

I've noticed it's seemingly only men, at least on social media and similar channels, who have an issue with her playing. I'm on Twitter and follow many female football fans and reporters and haven't seen many, if any at all, offer an opinion on this issue. The few I have seen are cheerleaders for women's footy and would rarely go against a narrative of inclusivity. However, most of the male commentary, often in a terrible fashion, have been quite critical.

It’s a decent point. The people that have to be ok with her playing are teammates and opponents
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Booney wrote:The whole idea of gender fluidity is puzzling for many people, young and old.

Understanding gender dysphoria starts with the fact that sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy. That these two processes can be influenced independently, and may result in transsexuality, is the starting point for that conversation.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
My wife is an early educator and some of the mumbo jumob bollocks they see/hear is unbelievable.

It sickens me that parents get into the kids minds before they can even develop their own interpretations, how about you focus on manners and etiquette, let the schools focus on literacy, mathematics etc. and let the children be children while they can and are.

But parents have tended to do that anyway by forcing antiquated and often toxic interpretations of masculinity/femininity on children.
Q.
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:The whole idea of gender fluidity is puzzling for many people, young and old.

Understanding gender dysphoria starts with the fact that sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy. That these two processes can be influenced independently, and may result in transsexuality, is the starting point for that conversation.

:shock: Could of just said born that way
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 pm

LMA wrote:
Q. wrote:Understanding gender dysphoria starts with the fact that sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy. That these two processes can be influenced independently, and may result in transsexuality, is the starting point for that conversation.

Usually not good enough an answer for the crowd that actually believe someone gets a life alterating sex change just to play in a woman's comp
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Q. wrote:
LMA wrote:
Q. wrote:Understanding gender dysphoria starts with the fact that sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy. That these two processes can be influenced independently, and may result in transsexuality, is the starting point for that conversation.

Usually not good enough an answer for the crowd that actually believe someone gets a life alterating sex change just to play in a woman's comp
I doubt anyone thinks he wants to be a she to play footy.

i havent read that anywhere or heard it in the media. That of course doesn't mean it hasnt been voiced as an opinion, just thay I have not come it.

I deleted the second part of.my post as Im sure it would have offended someone.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Just finished watching it. Thought Hannah spoke very well. The bit about the hormone therapy ruining her previous strength is something I hadn’t really considered before.

I think the hard thing is if she was physically small I very much doubt this would have been an issue. But she is still physically very imposing which is quite jarring. means there’s a level of double standards there.

I still don’t really know what the right answer is here. Glad it’s not my job to wade through this minefield
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 am

bennymacca wrote:Just finished watching it. Thought Hannah spoke very well. The bit about the hormone therapy ruining her previous strength is something I hadn’t really considered before.

I think the hard thing is if she was physically small I very much doubt this would have been an issue. But she is still physically very imposing which is quite jarring. means there’s a level of double standards there.

I still don’t really know what the right answer is here. Glad it’s not my job to wade through this minefield

Pre op can’t play. Post op, play.

Certainly not judging her life choices, but I believe she shouldn’t play
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 am

The phrase, "you can put lipstick on a pig springs to mind".
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 am

I've noticed it's seemingly only men, at least on social media and similar channels, who have an issue with her playing. I'm on Twitter and follow many female football fans and reporters and haven't seen many, if any at all, offer an opinion on this issue. The few I have seen are cheerleaders for women's footy and would rarely go against a narrative of inclusivity. However, most of the male commentary, often in a terrible fashion, have been quite critical.

Of course, I wonder if they'd answer the same way when being asked in an anonymous ballot/survey? No peers or opposition are going to public display their dissent.

Men are more expressive because it will never affect them directly, and they are the lesser sensitive gender.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

Q. wrote:
But parents have tended to do that anyway by forcing antiquated and often toxic interpretations of masculinity/femininity on children.

Because that's what our forefathers done, you have a baby boy, you paint the nursery blue and buy blue jumpsuits, you have a girl, you buy pink stuff.

This gender neutral notion I can't agree with.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 am

stan wrote:
Q. wrote:
I doubt anyone thinks he wants to be a she to play footy.

I agree with you there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am

bennymacca wrote:Just finished watching it. Thought Hannah spoke very well. The bit about the hormone therapy ruining her previous strength is something I hadn’t really considered before.

Yeah, Hannah did speak well although not much was given away which I think is the factor that bases many opinions.

Interesting that Hannah doesn't want surgery to look or sound like a woman yet chooses to dress in such a sense, It isn't me so I wont even begin to try and understand or judge.

It's a massive can of worms but at the end of the day I am still opposed to Hannah playing AFLW, the footage shown on the segment further consolidated my opinion.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 am

Q. wrote:
LMA wrote:

I'm sure nobody in here see's that as the issue at hand and it trivializes a very complex issue, Mouncey and AFL football aside.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 am

Booney wrote:I'm sure nobody in here see's that as the issue at hand and it trivializes a very complex issue, Mouncey and AFL football aside.

Not a comment specifically about here, just something I see a lot on FB and Twitter
Q.
Coach

Postby David Brent » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:09 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Of course, I wonder if they'd answer the same way when being asked in an anonymous ballot/survey? No peers or opposition are going to public display their dissent.

Men are more expressive because it will never affect them directly, and they are the lesser sensitive gender.

I'm sure Chris Judd said on Footy Classified the other week he had spoken to a few AFLW players (presumably Carlton players) who were opposed to Hannah playing in that comp however none of these girls were willing to go on the record publicly to say so.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:13 am

David Brent wrote:

I'm sure Chris Judd said on Footy Classified the other week he had spoken to a few AFLW players (presumably Carlton players) who were opposed to Hannah playing in that comp however none of these girls were willing to go on the record publicly to say so.

Yep, imagine the backlash they'd receive if they did? Would they be suspended if the AFLW hierarchy changed their ruling on Hannah's plight next season?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 am

I watched it and still had many questions running through my head after it, one thing I got out of it though was that she isn't doing this to "buck the system" or to be deliberately controversial, she seems pretty level headed and firm with her beliefs, just cause they don't marry up with many of ours doesn't mean we should automatically judge.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 am

Dutchy wrote:I watched it and still had many questions running through my head after it, one thing I got out of it though was that she isn't doing this to "buck the system" or to be deliberately controversial, she seems pretty level headed and firm with her beliefs, just cause they don't marry up with many of ours doesn't mean we should automatically judge.

I'm basing my opinion with a bit of bias as my 15 year old daughter goes alright at footy and could possibly playing in the AFLW in a few years. Hannah is a solid well built human who would knock my girl into next week, if the floodgates open for Hannah who knows what lies around the corner?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am

Interesting how many comments made about "We shouldn't judge". We're human, it's built into us to judge, you're kidding yourself if you think you don't judge other people.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL