AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

Postby Yangebup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Quote: Fox Footy just do it so much better. Their commentary team is excellent, their halftime/post match panel is so much more professional. Don’t get me wrong, they have plenty of laughs too - just not school yard stuff though.

Hey not all Fox's commentary team are excellent. Brereton is horrid he was so in favour of GWS y/d, & always finds time to talk about himself. Dunstall is terrible he's always he should've done this, should've done that. Of the new lot Pavlich is dull as & Dal Santo talks too fast & how was his comment to the Saints captain after he won the toss. He ran to catch up with him & asked................errr why did you kick to that end!! oh please. I reckon the best ones are those who havnt played like Huddo, Bruce Mc & theres a couple of new guys on Fox who are very good callers too.
Yangebup
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Yangebup wrote:Quote: Fox Footy just do it so much better. Their commentary team is excellent, their halftime/post match panel is so much more professional. Don’t get me wrong, they have plenty of laughs too - just not school yard stuff though.

Hey not all Fox's commentary team are excellent. Brereton is horrid he was so in favour of GWS y/d, & always finds time to talk about himself. Dunstall is terrible he's always he should've done this, should've done that. Of the new lot Pavlich is dull as & Dal Santo talks too fast & how was his comment to the Saints captain after he won the toss. He ran to catch up with him & asked................errr why did you kick to that end!! oh please. I reckon the best ones are those who havnt played like Huddo, Bruce Mc & theres a couple of new guys on Fox who are very good callers too.

I cannot agree with that comment, fully agree with Dunstall and Dermie though, Dermie is as boring as bat shit fully analysing what should've happened, he's the absolute "master of the obvious".
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Yangebup wrote:Quote: Fox Footy just do it so much better. Their commentary team is excellent, their halftime/post match panel is so much more professional. Don’t get me wrong, they have plenty of laughs too - just not school yard stuff though.

I cannot agree with that comment, fully agree with Dunstall and Dermie though, Dermie is as boring as bat shit fully analysing what should've happened, he's the absolute "master of the obvious".

Mark Rucciuto and Cameron Ling are Master of the Obvious.
I don't mind Dunstall, he's pretty fair to both sides. Dermott can barrack a fair bit.
Ling is the worst. Just shouts all the time, like he forgets he has a microphone.
Eddie should not be allowed to call matches between Victorian sides v Intersate sides. His bias is horrid.
Don't mind Pav and Dal Santo doing special comments.
Bruce is too irritating asking so many questions.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm

I find it interesting that elite soccer matches are usually called with just two commentators - a caller and a special comments person.

I can see why you may want two callers in AFL because the game moves much quicker, but why have 17 different special comments people? they all have to try and put their own spin on things which means they all talk round in circles.

that sort of stuff is fine for half time analysis etc but not during the game.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Highlights of the 2017 GF on Foxtel now... brings a smile to my face!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Lookin forward to replays of the SOO
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Inspiring yet very sad watching Neale Daniher on 360 tonight. He's a very tough man but it was real sad talking about where he's at.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Lookin forward to replays of the SOO

Its great isnt it.
I didnt remember Lockett ever playing in the ruck. Not sure if it was because of an injury earlier in the game or he was selected as a ruckman
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Its great isnt it.
I didnt remember Lockett ever playing in the ruck. Not sure if it was because of an injury earlier in the game or he was selected as a ruckman
Thought Plugger only became a forward exclusively after 1990? Certainly in 87 he was much more mobile than the mid 90's
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 pm

heater31 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Its great isnt it.
Thought Plugger only became a forward exclusively after 1990? Certainly in 87 he was much more mobile than the mid 90's

I dont remember Plugger in the ruck for that match....but i remember it was a great atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I know most Origins were umpired like Grand Finals in that they let the play go a lot more.....thats what we want. Less umpire officiating and let the players go.
Ball it up/throw it in quick helps keep the game moving.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Its great isnt it.

I dont remember Plugger in the ruck for that match....but i remember it was a great atmosphere.

Last quarter. Must have played there for St Kilda that year as he also won the Brownlow.
heater31

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm

heater31 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:[quote="mighty_tiger_79"]Lookin forward to replays of the SOO

Its great isnt it.

Last quarter. Must have played there for St Kilda that year as he also won the Brownlow.[/quote]Yeah i watched it. But reminiscing of the night....Plugger in ruck wasnt something i remembered.
How good was Terry Daniher in the last1/4!

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I know most Origins were umpired like Grand Finals in that they let the play go a lot more.....thats what we want. Less umpire officiating and let the players go.
Ball it up/throw it in quick helps keep the game moving.

How much better is the commentary! Describe the play and no bullshit
heater31

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Inspiring yet very sad watching Neale Daniher on 360 tonight. He's a very tough man but it was real sad talking about where he's at.

Gutting. A demon of a disease is MND. Hopefully this is the beginning towards researchers finding a cure.

Daniher's response to Robinson's question of "are you scared"? put everything into perspective for me.

Knowing what lies ahead, I can't fathom how that wouldn't scare the absolute shit out of you. I know we are all set for that very destiny, but watching your body lose it's function as your mind remains sound - I cannot fathom it.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:15 pm

valleys07 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Inspiring yet very sad watching Neale Daniher on 360 tonight. He's a very tough man but it was real sad talking about where he's at.

Gutting. A demon of a disease is MND. Hopefully this is the beginning towards researchers finding a cure.

Daniher's response to Robinson's question of "are you scared"? put everything into perspective for me.

Knowing what lies ahead, I can't fathom how that wouldn't scare the absolute shit out of you. I know we are all set for that very destiny, but watching your body lose it's function as your mind remains sound - I cannot fathom it.
I found him saying "If I'm still here next year" gut wrenching.

He can't do anything without help now yet there he was in the studio being interviewed. A tough, inspiring man that looks like he won't give up until he has nothing left.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

I found him saying "If I'm still here next year" gut wrenching.

He can't do anything without help now yet there he was in the studio being interviewed. A tough, inspiring man that looks like he won't give up until he has nothing left.
Remember hearing him speak for the game last season thinking shit he's only got 2 or 3 years left.
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 am

valleys07 wrote:

Unfortunately, don't think Neale will be with us by next years game, he has gone downhill quite a bit over the last 12 months. One of the reasons I reckon the 18 AFL coaches have agreed to go down the slide, thinking he may not be here next year. Very sad, is an inspirational bloke, that's for sure!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby JK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:05 am

heater31 wrote:Last quarter. Must have played there for St Kilda that year as he also won the Brownlow.

My memory of 87' was Plugger moving to ruck after an injury or due to matchup. Don't think he rucked much for the Saints that year because he was just too good up the front. Mates of mine for years been claiming players of the 80's too one dimensional for today's game, and regularly throw Lockett's name up - Been telling them the whole time to grab a copy of the 87' SOO.

Haven't seen the game for a while, but reckon we got lucky with a few home town calls that night, even from the boundary ump
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby locky801 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Unfortunately, don't think Neale will be with us by next years game, he has gone downhill quite a bit over the last 12 months. One of the reasons I reckon the 18 AFL coaches have agreed to go down the slide, thinking he may not be here next year. Very sad, is an inspirational bloke, that's for sure!

Was thinking the same but as you say inspirational and its great to see that he still tries to live each day to the fullest. Was interesting to hear that a couple of coaches had also lost their fathers to this horrid disease, i had never really heard of it until a few years ago when Danihers fight was made public. Lets hope that sometime soon a cure is found
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL