Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:36 pm

The Bedge wrote:During the second quarter and part of the 3rd it was Richmond that started with numbers behind the ball - at times as many as +4 when the ball was bounced.

Richmond’s efforts and output increased massively in the second half, placed a lot of pressure on kicks out of the Port D50.

Several times when Port had to slow up ball movement was because there was either no body ahead, of a sea of Richmond players.. this forced two main movements from Port - switch across to Polec who I thought was brilliant all night, or long to Dixon mostly who attracted multiple defenders.

Neade just floated at Dixon’s feet, let’s be serious he’s not going to be a marking target, and to a lesssr extend neither is Motlop or S. Gray.. in the second quarter it was Dixon crashing packs, Neade & Co just sniffing at the feet, crumb, goal.

Was hard to hit targets inside 50 due to the numbers the Tigers put in there, and Westhoff at times was required to play down back and then finished in the ruck I think?

Watts led well, but was closely watched, as was Robbie Gray.

Wingard & Wines were massive, so was Howard down back.

Biggest let down I saw last night for Port was blokes giving to guys already under the pump or in worse position

Agree completely. Well said. The fact we won, no matter how, should be cause for celebration not ridicule in my opinion
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm an outcome focused kind of dude. But surely one can see the flaws in Ken's coaching, even in a win like that.

Yeah, Richmond played some numbers behind the ball, but you don't have to let them! Match them up! Hit short leads. Take the switch option inboard. Even if you want to allow a slight mismatch in numbers to ensure there isn't a paddock left in your defensive 50, at least make the target not Jake Neade or Sam Gray.

With Marshall out, we're short one key forward. A good coach would manufacture something to ensure an adequate forward structure. Ken fails to do this when injuries or suspension hits time and time again.

Try Hombsch forward. Use Howard as a swing man. Play Westy permanent forward Etc etc

Still, I cannot question the players attack on the contest. They're buying in.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:05 pm

morell wrote:I'm an outcome focused kind of dude. But surely one can see the flaws in Ken's coaching, even in a win like that.

Yeah, Richmond played some numbers behind the ball, but you don't have to let them! Match them up! Hit short leads. Take the switch option inboard. Even if you want to allow a slight mismatch in numbers to ensure there isn't a paddock left in your defensive 50, at least make the target not Jake Neade or Sam Gray.

With Marshall out, we're short one key forward. A good coach would manufacture something to ensure an adequate forward structure. Ken fails to do this when injuries or suspension hits time and time again.

Try Hombsch forward. Use Howard as a swing man. Play Westy permanent forward Etc etc

Still, I cannot question the players attack on the contest. They're buying in.

Wow! What insight. How did you get overlooked by 18 AFL clubs for a senior coaching role?
All very easy from the sidelines with the benefit of hindsight. Give me a break! :roll:
And if Kenny's really such a poor coach, how bad is Hardwick now and Pike 3 weeks ago?
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm

I often wonder myself.

But of course, since Hinkley is an AFL coach, he can do no wrong, never makes a mistake and every decision he puts out is perfect. It's no wonder, because the only way any coach has ever been replaced at AFL level is through natural attrition, right?

Ken does a lot of things really well. He's a great motivational coach, he's really good at leading young men and clearly he gets players to follow instruction.

But he's limited tactically. He is stubborn with selection. He is overly defensive. Sure, that is all aided by hindsight, but it doesn't make it any less true.

There is no excuse for having Patrick Ryder - the best tap ruck in the game, Ollie WInes, a contested beast and one of the better in and under mids, Chad Wingard - sublimely talented and skilled user, with a young SPP smashing in and blanketing the oppo captain .. winning centre clearances... and kicking to a 3v1 Jake Neade.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:40 pm

To put a bit more perspective on it.

Add - Martin, Houli, Prestia and Rioli to that Richmond side. Then play them at the G.

Thats how far off we are.
morell
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Sorry but you can only beat the team that's out there. What are your excuses for Sydney, Adelaide, Kangaroos etc. who were also beaten by Port? You're just happy being miserable.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:49 pm

unnamed (1).png
unnamed (1).png (141.5 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Sure, and as I said, I cannot question the players commitment to the cause. Some really good performances out there in a tough contested game.

That's the thing, I genuinely believe with our list, we should be pummeling a weakened Richmond at home. We should be beating a lethargic Sydney, an injury depleted Adelaide and a plucky but ultimately not ready yet North.

Port Adelaide are capable of winning the flag. This year. Right now. I am not content with driving around in a Lamborghini with the hand brake on.

So its not that I am miserable. I'm optimistic.
morell
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Not as optimistic as me. Players are more responsible for decision making on field than coaches. I've done both, and it isn't that easy as you assume. If it was, good teams would never lose a game.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:10 pm

I've been a coach and a player too - if it was an isolated decision here or there, ok. put the heat on the player. It wasn't Ken Hinkley's fault that Wingard kicked the ball into the middle of the ground in the last minute of the showdown, for example.

But this lack of an adherence to structure has been a pattern with Ken over what is now, four years. His hyper defensiveness has only been the last two, to be fair.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 pm

morell wrote:To put a bit more perspective on it.

Add - Martin, Houli, Prestia and Rioli to that Richmond side. Then play them at the G.

Thats how far off we are.

Don’t think you need to add those players. If last nights game was at the MCG then Richmond win comfortably. They are close to unbeatable there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

I agree, that was my point.

Glad we got the points, but you won't catch me doing back flips with that game plan.
morell
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:24 pm

I have the greatest respect for anyone who coaches at the highest level. Forgive me if I rate Ken Hinkley as a greater coaching authority than keyboard warriors who have no level of accountability whatsoever. There have been plenty of premiership coaches who have their flaws (including Chocco). Remember the "experts" who said Roos would never be successful? I'm not blind Freddie who believes everything I see and hear, I just get amused by the many armchair experts who like me, have no credibility or understanding of what it's really like in the heat of the kitchen. PA can improve, and can win the flag, with Hinkley in charge. So can 6 or more other clubs.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby morell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:27 pm

You just defined happy clapper syndrome.

Port Adelaide has always been super introspective and demanding of success. We shouldn't change that mindset.

Besides, this forum would be pretty boring if it was just a bunch of backslapping going on .
morell
Coach

Postby DOC » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Is Broadbent any chance of playing soon?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 pm

morell wrote:You just defined happy clapper syndrome.

Port Adelaide has always been super introspective and demanding of success. We shouldn't change that mindset.

Besides, this forum would be pretty boring if it was just a bunch of backslapping going on .

OK. In that case, thanks for making the forum so interesting. :lol:
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby Dirty dog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Dixon struggling up forward. Can’t take a mark and has lost confidence in his goal kicking. It almost looked like last night that he was just trying to bring it to ground and mark the ball with flat hands. Special K keeps saying it’s not about goals and contested marks but more about competing and bringing it to ground for the bottom feeders. He is a genuine full forward and they still have to mark the footy and kick f-ing goals.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby morell » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 am

He took three of the better contested grabs on the best defender in the league in one quarter. But ok.

Clearly has the yips in front of goal.

His poor form is also a symptom of the way we play. Since we have 3,956 players behind the ball, so do the opposition. Which means he is frequently competing with multiple opponents. He is also asked to push up to provide an outlet. He is also asked to provide the sort of pressure many players of his size aren't. Then he has to ruck!

Pile on to all of that our at times horrendous forward entries and game plan to kick to pockets... And in all honesty Gary Ablett Snr would struggle to kick goals.
morell
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 am

morell wrote:He took three of the better contested grabs on the best defender in the league in one quarter. But ok.

Clearly has the yips in front of goal.

His poor form is also a symptom of the way we play. Since we have 3,956 players behind the ball, so do the opposition. Which means he is frequently competing with multiple opponents. He is also asked to push up to provide an outlet. He is also asked to provide the sort of pressure many players of his size aren't. Then he has to ruck!

Pile on to all of that our at times horrendous forward entries and game plan to kick to pockets... And in all honesty Gary Ablett Snr would struggle to kick goals.

Consider the amount of frees he gives away + odd 50m penalties. Not the smartest of footballers. I see a lot of John Butcher in him.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby carey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Charlie Dixon like John Butcher :shock:

Wow. Worst post of the year
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach