State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby Trader » Tue May 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:An Idea I had about the AFL salary cap.

If sides win less than 6 games in any given season (could be 4) the following year they can reduce player contracts by 10%. (Around $1m on the current $10.37m cap)

This can be banked to try and attract free agents. This can be done for a maximum of 2 consecutive years.

I think it's plain wrong that Brisbane and Carlton's lists are earning the same amount of money as Adelaide and Richmond's lists.

I know the AFLPA wouldn't cop it but I reckon clubs at the bottom of the ladder should have scope to "bank" salary they aren't/shouldn't be paying players.

Wouldn't this just further encourage tanking?

I thought they already had it to a degree, isn't there a minimum 92.5% payment or something to that effect?

Weren't Port able to go over 100% in the years following they Ryder sit out as we hadn't spent 100% in that season?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 793 times

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Does the cap have to be spent in it's entirety every season, or via rolling some over does it need to average out to $10.37m per season over a certain number of years?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue May 22, 2018 1:07 pm

The current system ( both Trader and Heater note ) allows for clubs to bank money for future years by managing their cap.

Ie - clubs can look two years ahead, manage new contracts as they see fit, pay only 95% ( it's 95% Trader ) and then pay up to 105% of the cap in that year.

My idea is based around poor on field performances, it's based on current contracts being able to be cut by up to 10% if the players aren't performing.

This will do the opposite to tanking I think Trader, you think players would cop a 10% pay drop or do you think they'd work that little bit harder?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Booney wrote:The current system ( both Trader and Heater note ) allows for clubs to bank money for future years by managing their cap.

Ie - clubs can look two years ahead, manage new contracts as they see fit, pay only 95% ( it's 95% Trader ) and then pay up to 105% of the cap in that year.

My idea is based around poor on field performances, it's based on current contracts being able to be cut by up to 10% if the players aren't performing.

This will do the opposite to tanking I think Trader, you think players would cop a 10% pay drop or do you think they'd work that little bit harder?

The players might be trying, but the coaches wont. The club knows if we lose we save 10% this year, can load up in two years time, and get the #1 draft pick!
Anyone that tries is automatically dropped and we'll "blood some kids".
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Bump

Thought I'd use this one to bring up (another) umpiring one that annoys me.
The 30-second rule for set shots, I don't mind. Then, anywhere else on the field, a player who wins the ball gets called play on after five seconds. Okay. Or, like this round, blinks sideways and gets called to play on.
BUT THEN, on Friday in the last couple minutes Rockcliff has a mark 50 out, no intention of ever kick for goal, wastes 20 seconds then short passes. (using this one because it was this weekend but all others would do it in his situation).
Completely inconsistent and perhaps should even be a reversed free-kick at the spot of the kick if it is not a genuine effort to have a shot.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Bit of talk around the idea of increasing the size of the goal square for kickouts.
Perhaps rather than a square, maybe a spot 20 or 25mt out where the man on the mark has to stand. It would be great for easy set-shots and dribble kicks that are missed. However would we see less attempts at exiciting goals from outside 50 or the boundary.
This spot would also be used for the ball-up after deliberately rushed behinds.

Another consideration is the point differential rather than percentage that is used in Rugby League. For example, 112-85, 85-65 and 70-53 scorelines all are roughly the same percentage but the first would be worth more under a point differential system. Don't believe where they are playing is a factor like it is in the suggestion of bonus points for kicking more than 100 points, because at Ethiad compared to wet and windy Blundstone, a team has more chance of scoring as well as being scored against.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:54 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Bit of talk around the idea of increasing the size of the goal square for kickouts.
Perhaps rather than a square, maybe a spot 20 or 25mt out where the man on the mark has to stand. It would be great for easy set-shots and dribble kicks that are missed. However would we see less attempts at exiciting goals from outside 50 or the boundary.
This spot would also be used for the ball-up after deliberately rushed behinds.

Another consideration is the point differential rather than percentage that is used in Rugby League. For example, 112-85, 85-65 and 70-53 scorelines all are roughly the same percentage but the first would be worth more under a point differential system. Don't believe where they are playing is a factor like it is in the suggestion of bonus points for kicking more than 100 points, because at Ethiad compared to wet and windy Blundstone, a team has more chance of scoring as well as being scored against.

That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard :shock: :roll:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3012 times
Been liked: 2382 times

Postby carey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

That has come from Blight and Matthews I believe they’ll bring it in next season. Along with last touch out of bounds.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2791 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 pm

So when do they bring in the mercy rule.... not even joking. I umpire in the NFL here in Melbourne, they have a rule in ALL junior footy ( up to U/17) that when a team is 60 pts up, we don’t ball up in the centre after a goal. It’s a free kick to the team 10 goals down at CHF (and the midfielders have to stay behind the ball) all the teams hate it...but we have to enforce it. #bullshit #everyteamwinsaprize
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1270 times
Been liked: 3454 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:15 pm

carey wrote:That has come from Blight and Matthews I believe they’ll bring it in next season. Along with last touch out of bounds.

Disgrace
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby carey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
carey wrote:That has come from Blight and Matthews I believe they’ll bring it in next season. Along with last touch out of bounds.

Disgrace

No arguments from me.
carey
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 pm

I actually think it's worth a look in the JLT matches compared to some of the other sh!t like Supergoals, play on if ball hits the post or last-touch.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby carey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 pm

I just wish we’d leave the f**king game alone.
carey
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Im all for making the game more atytacking, Blight is the expert in that area, all his sides never had a defensive part to their game.
Anything that puts Longmire and Lyon out of a job is fine by me, Anyone else hear Longmires presser after Saints win? He said he thought his 18 man defensive press needed alot of work, he is a blight on the game
The game is effed, drastic changes need to take place.

Bring back the 100 goal FF, thats what people want to see.
If i was a betting man i would say kickouts will move out to 25m, and there will be 6 in each zone for every centre bounce and interchange will be reduced back to 40
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2414 times
Been liked: 1655 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Points differential has a similar bias that bonus points do in the wet vs dome games. IE: Easy to run up a bigger differential under the roof vs in the wet.

The kick out after a point from say 25m out rather than 9m, at first i hated it, but now I feel it has some merit. Potentially makes the zone harder to set up and therefore we might see more "end to end" goals.
I hadn't considered the deterant for long shots as a result, and it is a good point. Can't make my mind up on that one.

Agree today's footy was far better view than say Port's 1 goal after half time, or the crows 3 goals in 3 quarters, despite both games being a lot closer results than the Pies 42 point victory, and as such, we need to introduce more attacking games, just not sure how to best do so.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Im all for making the game more atytacking, Blight is the expert in that area, all his sides never had a defensive part to their game.
Anything that puts Longmire and Lyon out of a job is fine by me, Anyone else hear Longmires presser after Saints win? He said he thought his 18 man defensive press needed alot of work, he is a blight on the game

If i was a betting man i would say kickouts will move out to 25m, and there will be 6 in each zone for every centre bounce and interchange will be reduced back to 40

Swans kick 9 goals in the first qtr. real boring stuff :roll:
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Im all for making the game more atytacking, Blight is the expert in that area, all his sides never had a defensive part to their game.

Swans kick 9 goals in the first qtr. real boring stuff :roll:

Yeah those witches hats were a real stumbling block
The point remains he still wasnt happy with his 18 man defensive press, ffs i dont want to hear about defensive presses anymore, its bullshit. St Kilda scored 55 points ffs, when will these defence minded coaches be happy? When they keep the opp to 20? the game is effed.
The Port/rich game was terrible as well and theyre supposed to be 2 of the better teams.
Games like todays Coll/Melb game should be the norm with the odd game like the Port/Rich, not the other way around
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Corona Man wrote:So when do they bring in the mercy rule.... not even joking. I umpire in the NFL here in Melbourne, they have a rule in ALL junior footy ( up to U/17) that when a team is 60 pts up, we don’t ball up in the centre after a goal. It’s a free kick to the team 10 goals down at CHF (and the midfielders have to stay behind the ball) all the teams hate it...but we have to enforce it. #bullshit #everyteamwinsaprize

:-O

My god.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1167 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Every single club in the Comp use defensive presses. EVERY SINGLE ONE
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Every single club in the Comp use defensive presses. EVERY SINGLE ONE

And its boring as batshit, do you only read what you want to, ie the Sydney bits? Wasnt just them im talking about.

humour me and answer the question, when will these defensive coaches be happy if they are not happy keeping the opp to 55 points, Where does it end? its absolute garbage what the comp has become
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL