Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Benjamin on Franklin

Lemon lime n bitters and an oatmeal stout from lobethal brewery to start.

Crispy chicken skin isnt available so have kicked off with the salmon and beetroot cake. And that is superb!!!!

Waiting on blackened beef and pork belly for mains.

Quirky little joint with little areas all over the place.

Stay tuned

Mains

Oh my word....the Blackened beef was cooked Medium as stated on the menu...it was just melt in mouth...awesome.
Pork Belly....it was a massive serving....and superb also according to Mrs.

Flavours of the main are just lingering beautifully.

Now onto Dessert

Fresh berry thingy for the Mrs and Ive gone the Chocolate Brownie.

So far I cant really fault anything.

Dessert was just delightful!!!

try the modus operandi dreamweaver that they have on tap there. one of the best beers I've ever had
Im home now!! Ffs

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Went for a small drive down to Yankalilla Bakery over weekend.

Service. Very quick and prompt.
Our pies were sensational. $5 each.

Carrot cake. Decent serving. Light and filling.
Vanilla Slice.....just sensational. I may have let out a few pleasure moans as i devoured this work of art in the bakery.. which as you expect was a full house and seats were sparing.

We decided on a cornish pastie plate and an apple pie to take home for dinner.

Pastie - beautiful. Was big enough for us to have over 2 nights.
Tonight was 1/2 of Apple Pie....my word....it was huge, tall, loads of filling. Just brilliant.

Do yourselves a favour and get down there. Had been too long since we had been there.....im not making that mistake again....

By far and away the best bakery in SA that ive been too, and as someone who is out and about for work during the week, ive tested a fair share of bakery goods...and ive got a fat gut to prove it!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby magpie in the 80's » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Went for a small drive down to Yankalilla Bakery over weekend.

Vanilla Slice.....just sensational. I may have let out a few pleasure moans as i devoured this work of art in the bakery.. which as you expect was a full house and seats were sparing.

Tonight was 1/2 of Apple Pie....my word....it was huge, tall, loads of filling. Just brilliant.

Do yourselves a favour and get down there. Had been too long since we had been there.....im not making that mistake again....

By far and away the best bakery in SA that ive been too, and as someone who is out and about for work during the week, ive tested a fair share of bakery goods...and ive got a fat gut to prove it!

I usually call into the Clarendon bakery when I'm back in S.A. But will try this in August after that review MT.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Went for a small drive down to Yankalilla Bakery over weekend.

I usually call into the Clarendon bakery when I'm back in S.A. But will try this in August after that review MT.
You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 am

I'm very fond of the South Gawler Bakery, used to drive there from Largs Bay to get my peppered steak, beef & cheese and apple & rhubarb pie.

Whilst on bakeries, has anyone ever been to the Yatala Bakery in Queensland?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am

So apparently I need to get out more according to beige_liquid, which coming from a man who repeatedly professes his obsession over a yeast based beverage, I do find strange. You don’t see others calling themselves breakfeast_cereal and then ensuring their lives revolved around cornflakes and weetbix. But whatever, I like beigey so I’ll play along and start contributing more detail from my social life.

I am also a massive fan of Anthony Bordain. If there was a celebrity who I think I would most like to be, it would’ve been him. So in his honour, here is a typically acerbic and overly wordy review of a restaurant.

Bai Long Store

Once all the jokes had been made in terribly typical slightly racist ocker Aussie version of an Chinese accent, myself, the missus and some friends of ours entered into the bottom of the Channel 10 building on Hutt Street to try the new hip Modern Asian restaurant, Bai Long Store. I’ve always found the term “Modern Asian” a little confusing, as in, Asia is a ******* big place man! Is it sashimi from the fresh fish of the Tokyo markets? Is it a delicate Masaman Curry from Phuket? Maybe some meat on a stick from the Islamic quarters of Xi’an? Usually it’s just fancy Chinese food. This was no exception.

Once seated, I noted just how god damn noisy it was. I hate that. Dinner with friends is meant to exacerbate conversation, not inhibit it. I struggled to hear what others were saying and ended up death glaring at the young 20-somethings on the table next to us who obviously thought it was a nightclub and were that busy instagramming their dishes they forgot to actually eat them. Anyway, the décor was simple but classy, plain white tables with one side of comfy chairs the others - not so. Usually the feminine halves get the comfy side, but not this time, old mate James staking a claim for rebuking toxic masculinity and insisting on a cushion.

Menus were simple and easy to understand. Also not too large which is a pleasant surprise from having to use a number to delineate your dish in your cheaper type Asian restaurants. The waitress with her subtle tattoos and caked on makeup was polite but rehearsed explained that the mains are on the right and entrees on the left. I pondered why they didn’t just have a title which showed that. Anyway, once that was done I had settled on a starter of crispy chicken with a main of ribs followed by a dessert called “The Garden” or something. Then, the dreaded option was raised that made ones blood curdle.

“Shall we just pick a few things and share?”

“**** no, we shall ******* not!” Was what went through my head. I had my choices, I was looking forward to it and I wanted all of it. Sure, slice of a bit if you’re keen on a nibble, but 1/6thing my dishes was not something I wanted to partake in. Let alone swapping some of my beef ribs for some vegetarian tofu or garden salad. But of course being the decorum ninja that I am, a polite smile and small nod was made and we ordered the aforementioned dishes plus the prawns with a fruit salsa and black noodle, San choi bao (lettuce burritos) the soft pork belly with kimchi and the highlight of the night – the Lamb cutlets cooked in water with a Banana chilli. They were absolutely beautifully cooked, delicate yet quite sizeable for a cutlet.

Dessert came out and it looked like something George, Matt and the other bloke would ooohh and ahhh over on ChefMasters. It honestly looked like a garden in a glass with little mushrooms and plants in dirt. Quite the picture. But, the mousse was a bit bland, I didn’t notice any of the passionfruit curd and it wasn’t sweet enough for my decidedly huge sweet tooth. Others might enjoy the subtlety more.

We paid up and it came to about $70/pp which wasn’t too bad all things considered, but at the end of the day, other than the lamb, I reckon your local favourite Chinese place (mine is Gin Ling) would do just as good a job as most of the dishes for half the price and a quarter of the pretentiousness.

Off to the Havelock afterwards for a night cap – what has happened to this place? It used to be full of glamours and footballers. Now it’s pretty much dead! Then the long drive home to Meadows where a sneaky cup of Madura with a row of Picnic Cadbury Chocolate was enjoyed.

morell’s rating – 3 beige liquids out of 5
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am

morell wrote:So apparently I need to get out more according to beige_liquid, which coming from a man who repeatedly professes his obsession over a yeast based beverage, I do find strange. You don’t see others calling themselves breakfeast_cereal and then ensuring their lives revolved around cornflakes and weetbix. But whatever, I like beigey so I’ll play along and start contributing more detail from my social life.

I am also a massive fan of Anthony Bordain. If there was a celebrity who I think I would most like to be, it would’ve been him. So in his honour, here is a typically acerbic and overly wordy review of a restaurant.

Bai Long Store

Once all the jokes had been made in terribly typical slightly racist ocker Aussie version of an Chinese accent, myself, the missus and some friends of ours entered into the bottom of the Channel 10 building on Hutt Street to try the new hip Modern Asian restaurant, Bai Long Store. I’ve always found the term “Modern Asian” a little confusing, as in, Asia is a ******* big place man! Is it sashimi from the fresh fish of the Tokyo markets? Is it a delicate Masaman Curry from Phuket? Maybe some meat on a stick from the Islamic quarters of Xi’an? Usually it’s just fancy Chinese food. This was no exception.

Once seated, I noted just how god damn noisy it was. I hate that. Dinner with friends is meant to exacerbate conversation, not inhibit it. I struggled to hear what others were saying and ended up death glaring at the young 20-somethings on the table next to us who obviously thought it was a nightclub and were that busy instagramming their dishes they forgot to actually eat them. Anyway, the décor was simple but classy, plain white tables with one side of comfy chairs the others - not so. Usually the feminine halves get the comfy side, but not this time, old mate James staking a claim for rebuking toxic masculinity and insisting on a cushion.

Menus were simple and easy to understand. Also not too large which is a pleasant surprise from having to use a number to delineate your dish in your cheaper type Asian restaurants. The waitress with her subtle tattoos and caked on makeup was polite but rehearsed explained that the mains are on the right and entrees on the left. I pondered why they didn’t just have a title which showed that. Anyway, once that was done I had settled on a starter of crispy chicken with a main of ribs followed by a dessert called “The Garden” or something. Then, the dreaded option was raised that made ones blood curdle.

“**** no, we shall ******* not!” Was what went through my head. I had my choices, I was looking forward to it and I wanted all of it. Sure, slice of a bit if you’re keen on a nibble, but 1/6thing my dishes was not something I wanted to partake in. Let alone swapping some of my beef ribs for some vegetarian tofu or garden salad. But of course being the decorum ninja that I am, a polite smile and small nod was made and we ordered the aforementioned dishes plus the prawns with a fruit salsa and black noodle, San choi bao (lettuce burritos) the soft pork belly with kimchi and the highlight of the night – the Lamb cutlets cooked in water with a Banana chilli. They were absolutely beautifully cooked, delicate yet quite sizeable for a cutlet.

Dessert came out and it looked like something George, Matt and the other bloke would ooohh and ahhh over on ChefMasters. It honestly looked like a garden in a glass with little mushrooms and plants in dirt. Quite the picture. But, the mousse was a bit bland, I didn’t notice any of the passionfruit curd and it wasn’t sweet enough for my decidedly huge sweet tooth. Others might enjoy the subtlety more.

We paid up and it came to about $70/pp which wasn’t too bad all things considered, but at the end of the day, other than the lamb, I reckon your local favourite Chinese place (mine is Gin Ling) would do just as good a job as most of the dishes for half the price and a quarter of the pretentiousness.

Off to the Havelock afterwards for a night cap – what has happened to this place? It used to be full of glamours and footballers. Now it’s pretty much dead! Then the long drive home to Meadows where a sneaky cup of Madura with a row of Picnic Cadbury Chocolate was enjoyed.

:lol:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, so well done on that.
Getting out in public with friends is the second step, again well done.

I’m proud of you BUT you are still slightly weird! ;)

Also what the hell is a Madura, pretty sure it’s not an ale or a lager? :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 am

morell wrote:So apparently I need to get out more according to beige_liquid, which coming from a man who repeatedly professes his obsession over a yeast based beverage, I do find strange. You don’t see others calling themselves breakfeast_cereal and then ensuring their lives revolved around cornflakes and weetbix. But whatever, I like beigey so I’ll play along and start contributing more detail from my social life.

Bai Long Store

I found the Cadbury Picnic chocolate to be a major letdown.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby morell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Madura is a tea. It's the best! Get on board
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 pm

morell wrote:Madura is a tea. It's the best! Get on board

I'm sure a-f will be all over that!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
morell wrote:Madura is a tea. It's the best! Get on board

I'm sure a-f will be all over that!

He should. It's delicious.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 pm

morell wrote:He should. It's delicious.

What tips it over the edge on other cups?

I'm a bit of a reserved tea drinker, no hidden flavours, a liptons will do the trick for me, not a fan of the herbal or green stuff.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Then you'd like Madura. It's a typically strong but simple Australian tea.

I like a lot of flavour. Nothing worse than a weak tea. I find Madura packs more of a punch. I usually double bag other brands and have to leave them for longer, which means they go cold and over tanny.
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm

30161E8C-2BF1-4857-8F59-3B604FE5412D.jpeg
30161E8C-2BF1-4857-8F59-3B604FE5412D.jpeg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Singapore House. Amazing
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

morell wrote:Then, the dreaded option was raised that made ones blood curdle. “Shall we just pick a few things and share?”

I'm actually really terrible for this - when I go out, especially Asian restaurants, there is always a handful of things I want to eat so I end up suggesting picking a few things and sharing. :lol:

Generally it'll be me letting the mrs pick one, and i'll pick 3 :oops:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 pm

morell wrote:Then you'd like Madura. It's a typically strong but simple Australian tea.

I like a lot of flavour. Nothing worse than a weak tea. I find Madura packs more of a punch. I usually double bag other brands and have to leave them for longer, which means they go cold and over tanny.

Double bagging? Only in an LGA would you find such decadent behavior.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:
morell wrote:Then, the dreaded option was raised that made ones blood curdle. “Shall we just pick a few things and share?”

I'm actually really terrible for this - when I go out, especially Asian restaurants, there is always a handful of things I want to eat so I end up suggesting picking a few things and sharing. :lol:

All good, his knickers twisted when it was aired and by the time he'd downed his various dishes he was happy.

Nothing like trying something new.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:Then you'd like Madura. It's a typically strong but simple Australian tea.

Double bagging? Only in an LGA would you find such decadent behavior.

Or in a cheap brothel...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby morell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:

This is fine when you're with the missus and you can tell her that the limegrass souffle might not be a good choice.

But when you're a social butterfly like me and you're in a slightly more refrained environment and old biddy orders the bowl of mixed veggies and then leans over to take a cut of your medium rare rib eye, it gets a little infuriating.

I don't eat a lot of seafood either. If there is 6 people, two order a vegetarian dish, two order a seafood dish, really I'm down to the meal I picked plus one I didn't and I get half as much as if we'd just picked one for ourselves.

I'm happy to let people have a taste, but its a numbers game, really.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion