Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby stan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:
UK Fan wrote:26000 on a Thursday night

Is this the Lowest crowd at Adelaide oval for an afl game ??

Yes, only two other games have been under 30,000:
27935 Port vs GWS 2016
29340 Port vs Melb 2011

Yeah I would have thought the GWS would have been in there as well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 am

Round 13 – Unlucky for some…..not us.

If you read the views of some knockers Port aren’t genuine, Dixon is no good and the forwards don’t take their opportunities. Some of that might be true from time to time, some of it isn’t. Then you look at the scoreboard, a 57 point win kicking 20 goals for the side sitting with 8 wins and 4 losses. What am I missing?

Country supporters were hamstrung by the Thursday night time slot and families stayed in front of the fire given the prediction you’d need an ark to get to the ground, as such the crowd number was well down and it’s fair to say the atmosphere was too. Nevertheless the Port boys jumped out of the blocks with 5.5 to one solitary behind and in reality you could have packed the beanie in the bag then and headed home as it was, for all intents and purposes, game over at quarter time. A special moment that resonated across the competition when at the 13 minutes mark those of us there stood in support of Todd Marshall. A moment in time many people will remember and one, I’m sure, will never forget.

Again it was the engine room that sparked the side. Port Adelaide lead the competition in many of the “grunt” statistics, one thing we aren’t is soft inside. We lead the competition for tackles and for clearances around the ground and are behind only Melbourne for centre square clearances. Michael Voss, often questioned in his role as midfield manager has the inside mid’s firing and he’s got plenty of options to work with. Wines, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff and the rejuvenated Wingard (16 tackles in the last two weeks) are feeding off the great work of Paddy Ryder who, since his achilles induced lay off, has returned in fine form.

We’re getting a very even spread across the board, stand out mid Ollie Wines aside, the likes of Wingard, R.Gray, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Polec, Westhoff and Motlop (4 of his last 6 games 20+ and a goal) in the middle or forward of centre are demonstrating consistent good form, so when Ebo or Boaky have a quiet night as they did last night it’s not the end of the world.

Again last night we were lead by Ollie Wines, surely in All Australian form, the bloke is a beast. I’ve rated him BOG twice so far this year and second best another 3 times, he’s in career best form and his numbers this year are nothing short of A grade. Averaging 26 touches, 13 of them contested, 7 clearances and 5 tackles. He’s taken the step this season into the A grade of the competition in my view, I wouldn’t be alone there. Fantasy Pig Rockliff rolled around in the muck last night filling his Super Team coaches with delight as he racked up 25 and 3 goals with 6 tackles. His best showing of 2018 and hopefully there’s more of that to come. He looks fit now and it’s reaping rewards for the side.

Wingard has had back-to-back 30 touch matches since Hinkley moved him into the guts along with 16 tackles and 13 clearances in two weeks. Fine form. The cream rises to the top and how good has Robbie Gray been in the last few weeks? 9 goals in 3 weeks and for some unknown reason he found himself on his lonesome as 4 defenders went up to compete with Dixon in the air. I’d think the Bulldogs review will focus on how one of the most dangerous small forwards in the game was left unattended. Powell-Pepper is playing with surety beyond his years and experience and takes the game on whenever he has ball in hand. Loving his attitude at the moment.

Defensively we’re still a work in progress as we look for our best back 7. Hartlett going down has unsettled us a little, Howard’s closing speed and reach is a weapon in itself, Jonas (inj) is the versatile one of the group and it looks like Hombsch and Clurey are in a tussle for the bigger bodied role. This time last year Clurey was well ahead of Hombsch, the gap is closing. Houston needs to tidy up his disposal a little so Bonner isn’t charged with all the long kicking from the defensive arc, Pittard is playing a role moving the ball around deep with DBJ sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

With a big game next Friday night against a wounded Melbourne side we again find ourselves under the prime time spotlight and have an opportunity make a statement. Get your bum in your seat, get behind the boys. See you at the footy!

Boons best – Wines, Rockliff, R.Gray, Powell-Pepper, Wingard, Dixon, Westhoff
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am

Last thing I like to do is stick up for Port but horrid conditions pregame and expected to get worse.

Only time you say anything is when there is an ordinary crowd, haven’t heard your bleating for ages.

#backunderyourbridge. #dickinyourass
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby UK Fan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am

I thought the Marshall 13 minutes mark tribute was very well played by PAFC

I wouldn’t be surprised if that is repeated by other sides.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 am

Brodlach wrote:

Last thing I like to do is stick up for Port but horrid conditions pregame and expected to get worse.

Only time you say anything is when there is an ordinary crowd, haven’t heard your bleating for ages.

It’s a winter sport

#thoughtitwassaturdaytwilightsfault
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am

valleys07 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:A couple of things where I think we can go forward from:

1: Keep Chad spending more time on the ball to give Robbie more time in the forward arc.

2: Let Rockliff off the leash now, don't use him as a run with, infact we don't have a great "run with" type player so they should just back themselves to win at least 60% of the positions on field.

I'd argue that Ebert is our best option in a run with role.

Rocky was high in my best last night. 25 & 3, the perfect midfielders game.

Probably is our "best" option but I'd rather see Ebert playing his own game, at 28 he still has a lot to offer and every game he is a bit down on form means he's a game closer to regaining it.

Having the likes of Olllie, Chad, Robbie, Tommy, SPP, Travis (to some degree), Sam Gray, Ebert and Motlop to rotate through the middle gives us a lot of flexibility and variety.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 am

UK Fan wrote:

It’s a winter sport

#thoughtitwassaturdaytwilightsfault

Thursday night is just as difficult for the family to get to.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

Brodlach wrote:

He's a little ripper, our Chester.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 am

Excellent write up again Boon.

Personally I loved seeing Westhoff deeper. With Marshall and Dixon, that's a headache and we exploited it on numerous occasions.

Big concern for me is Travis Boak. He's getting to good places but I honestly think I'm a better kick than him at the moment and that's saying something.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Spargo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am

Absolute lock for top 4.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5455 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 am

UK Fan wrote:I thought the Marshall 13 minutes mark tribute was very well played by PAFC

Was very well done.
Dare I say another thing Port has “borrowed” from soccer ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:51 am

Spargo wrote:Absolute lock for top 4.

Port vs North GF
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:A couple of things where I think we can go forward from:

1: Keep Chad spending more time on the ball to give Robbie more time in the forward arc.

2: Let Rockliff off the leash now, don't use him as a run with, infact we don't have a great "run with" type player so they should just back themselves to win at least 60% of the positions on field.

I'd argue that Ebert is our best option in a run with role.

Rocky was high in my best last night. 25 & 3, the perfect midfielders game.

Probably is our "best" option but I'd rather see Ebert playing his own game, at 28 he still has a lot to offer and every game he is a bit down on form means he's a game closer to regaining it.

Having the likes of Olllie, Chad, Robbie, Tommy, SPP, Travis (to some degree), Sam Gray, Ebert and Motlop to rotate through the middle gives us a lot of flexibility and variety.

Hence why I think he is the best option in that role, as he is capable of nullifying an opposition midfielder, as well as winning his own ball.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby morell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:59 am

SPP is currently doing a lot of the run with roles
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:59 am

Heard a great comment from one of the commentators last night with about 12 and a half minutes to go.

One of them said "Away wins are so hard to get these days, especially coming to Adelaide Oval to play Port or Adelaide"

The other chimed in with "Yeah, it's like they own it".
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Booney wrote:Round 13 – Unlucky for some…..not us.

With a big game next Friday night against a wounded Melbourne side we again find ourselves under the prime time spotlight and have an opportunity make a statement. Get your bum in your seat, get behind the boys. See you at the footy!

Solid write up Boon always gives me a good understanding of where Ports at (missed you guys beat us last week whilst away for a wedding thankfully)

I tuned in last night & watched Powell-Pepper & Boak specifically all night in their roles.

SPP in your best I find stunning (& the fact ABC Grandstand gave him a vote) He did a good job on Mcreaa in the first half before he succumbed to his hammy I'll pay that. In the second half he predominantly followed the Bont who has arguably their best all night. His stats read okay but 24 disposals @ 62%, he had 8 kicks of which id say only 2 hit the target. He also had 8 turnovers & gave away 4 free kicks. Even his tackles were down compared to most of the other mids for Port.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but there would have been at least 7-8 Power players I thought were better than him on the night.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby David Brent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:05 pm

morell wrote:Excellent write up again Boon.

Personally I loved seeing Westhoff deeper. With Marshall and Dixon, that's a headache and we exploited it on numerous occasions.

Big concern for me is Travis Boak. He's getting to good places but I honestly think I'm a better kick than him at the moment and that's saying something.

To me Boak appears to have lost that 1-2% of speed/agility. He is in the right spot every time but he just got knocked/caught as he tried to dispose of it last night so often. Still thought he played well though.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Jim05 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:I thought the Marshall 13 minutes mark tribute was very well played by PAFC

Was very well done.

What happened? I missed it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:15 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:Round 13 – Unlucky for some…..not us.

Solid write up Boon always gives me a good understanding of where Ports at (missed you guys beat us last week whilst away for a wedding thankfully)

I tuned in last night & watched Powell-Pepper & Boak specifically all night in their roles.

SPP in your best I find stunning (& the fact ABC Grandstand gave him a vote) He did a good job on Mcreaa in the first half before he succumbed to his hammy I'll pay that. In the second half he predominantly followed the Bont who has arguably their best all night. His stats read okay but 24 disposals @ 62%, he had 8 kicks of which id say only 2 hit the target. He also had 8 turnovers & gave away 4 free kicks. Even his tackles were down compared to most of the other mids for Port.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but there would have been at least 7-8 Power players I thought were better than him on the night.

19 of his his 24 disposals contested, you're never going to go at 70%+ often when the bulk of your disposals are in close. ( Although Wines went at 80% last night ) He's also getting some offensive play into his game, 6 I50's and 2 goal assists, means he starting to work hard in both directions.

Personally I'd rather see Ebert run with someone than SPP, he ( SPP ) is becoming a more rounded player and I think we're potentially not using him in his best role. Saying that he's been in good nick since his sabbatical.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Was very well done.

LOL
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL