Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:
neverwas neverwillbe wrote:So SFL not in that bad a shape after a win today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only both Associations could field the best players from each comp. Have it as the best of the best or as a strictly under 23 type game. Either way, these games generate little interest from players anymore, and are heading the way of State of Origin. It’s a real shame because I remember as a kid always going to the Mortlock Shield games knowing it was best Vs. The best.

Apart from losing its a bad reflection on their league if they cant get their best out on the deck.

Many said last year was a once off fluke, but now on their own deck after holding a 20 point lead at the final break it must sting.

It is a reflection of where the two leagues are at. SFL have implemented some significant changes over the past few years and are now strengthening overall.

GSFL are on the decline with two clubs unable to fully field juniors and a big split starting to open up between clubs. A lot of criticism on here about Morphett Vale recently but they are miles ahead of clubs like Goolwa and Yankalilla.

Well done to all involved with today's game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Acc0988 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 pm

LGIL with internal issues between committee and football departments plaguing 2 of the bottom 3 clubs it may be a while before we see these once mighty clubs rise up the ladder again. Clubs need to be all rowing in same direction to achieve on field success and both MV & HV have a history of management getting involved with on field and selection decisions.
I believe this is still the case at HV[/quote]

You seem to be be quite knowledgeable F & C (or is it SM) how about giving some specifics
Acc0988
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kangarilla

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 pm

LK - The standard of the game was good in a lot of ways but it was also 2 top teams in D5...Therefore probably more comparable to D4.

That aside I was more focussing on the other points, All self explanatory and shows the big difference in the leagues IMO
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Front & Centre » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Acc0988 wrote:LGIL with internal issues between committee and football departments plaguing 2 of the bottom 3 clubs it may be a while before we see these once mighty clubs rise up the ladder again. Clubs need to be all rowing in same direction to achieve on field success and both MV & HV have a history of management getting involved with on field and selection decisions.
I believe this is still the case at HV

You seem to be be quite knowledgeable F & C (or is it SM) how about giving some specifics[/quote]

Who is SM?
I can tell you from HV perspective there are committee members who are giving coach suggestions and directions on selections.
This is with both the former and current coach. In fact the current coach has been told by committee that the players are responsible for club having such a high turnover in coaches over the last 5-10 years. Perhaps they need to look at why the last coach left.
My philosophy is coaches and football departments make those decisions about on field matters and committee should be concerning themselves with off field matters only.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Thumbs Up » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 am

Dutchy wrote:LK - The standard of the game was good in a lot of ways but it was also 2 top teams in D5...Therefore probably more comparable to D4.

That aside I was more focussing on the other points, All self explanatory and shows the big difference in the leagues IMO

Dutchy you have to be joking or you really dont know football. You say the game was that of a top two game in Div5. So your saying these 2 teams would be competing with the Edwardstown FC. Get your blinkers of man. BDOS are also doing well in Div2 as is Morphy Park in Div3. Give credit when it is due please, the 2 leagues put on a great game of football so can we positive about something. The SFL has a lot to work on that is for sure, as i said in my last post but this is something to smile about. Well done to the SFL for winning 2 of the 3 Male games on the day.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 am

Not sure what point you are trying to make...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:44 am

Dutchy wrote:Not sure what point you are trying to make...
I am lost too, maybe he is suggesting a match between the 41st & 42nd ranked teams in that competition is not a fair indication of the quality of that league.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

I suspect he may be very confused and thinks you were comparing the association game to that one of Kenilworth and Lockleys- Also that you were hinting the similarity of standards :lol:
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah I think that's a thumbs down for thumbs up. Always pays to read back a few posts to get the right context before you post. But I suppose that's part of the fun of SA Footy.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Thumbs Up » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am

Down the Hill wrote:Yeah I think that's a thumbs down for thumbs up. Always pays to read back a few posts to get the right context before you post. But I suppose that's part of the fun of SA Footy.

Forgive me, i am a part timer on the forum.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Animus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Bushpigs a bit flat (in a loss to Christies :shock: ) after beating the GSFL the previous week?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

New premiership favorites.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Happy Valley Football Club trainer Hank Middleton to have changerooms named after him

HANK Middleton defines what it means to be a volunteer.

He has given his all to Happy Valley Football Club for more than 20 years and now, as he faces a battle with untreatable prostate and liver cancer, the Vikings are set to honour him.

From Saturday, Middleton’s name will adorn the change rooms at the Aberfoyle Park club, where he has been a trainer since 1994.

The 63-year-old, a Vikings and Southern Football League life member, says Happy Valley will always hold a special place in his heart.

“They thought they should recognise me before it becomes a memorial service,” Middleton jokes.

“Every time I think of something I’ve been involved in at the club — an event, a game, a final, a moment — it brings a smile to my face.

“It’s just a terrific club to be at.”

Happy Valley will hold a presentation before the Vikings’ home clash against Reynella on Saturday. Middleton, also a former Goodwood Saints trainer, followed Country Fire Service mates to Happy Valley.

Injuries ended his playing career early so Middleton offered to lend a hand to the club’s only trainer and never looked back. Middleton was diagnosed with prostate cancer 18 months ago but thought he had beaten the disease until scans in September revealed it had spread to his liver.
Hank Middleton in the Vikings’ medical room in 2012.

“We ran out of medical options, so decided to stop treating it and look at quality of life instead and nature will take its course,” he says.

“I take a lot of positives out of what Neale Daniher is talking about with his battle with MND (motor neurone disease), just enjoying life.”

Middleton says his fondest memories at the Vikings include watching players climb the ranks and go on to play at the elite level, as well as the club’s glory years during the 1990s when it won six premierships.

He was also a part of Happy Valley flags in 2003 and 2012.
Happy Valley after winning the 2012 SFL premiership against Brighton.

After playing his part in designing the change rooms, Middleton says he is proud of pushing to install doors wide enough for ambulance access, which some clubs still do not have.

“It might sound small, but we got the external door widen so it was wide enough for the ambos to bring their trolley in — that was sensational.”

Middleton says the Vikings’ culture is as good as it gets.

“That makes it easier to not only be at a club, but stay at a club, and that’s driven by volunteers and the quality of the volunteers.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby afc9798 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Happy Valley Football Club trainer Hank Middleton to have changerooms named after him

HANK Middleton defines what it means to be a volunteer.

He has given his all to Happy Valley Football Club for more than 20 years and now, as he faces a battle with untreatable prostate and liver cancer, the Vikings are set to honour him.

From Saturday, Middleton’s name will adorn the change rooms at the Aberfoyle Park club, where he has been a trainer since 1994.

The 63-year-old, a Vikings and Southern Football League life member, says Happy Valley will always hold a special place in his heart.

“They thought they should recognise me before it becomes a memorial service,” Middleton jokes.

“Every time I think of something I’ve been involved in at the club — an event, a game, a final, a moment — it brings a smile to my face.

“It’s just a terrific club to be at.”

Happy Valley will hold a presentation before the Vikings’ home clash against Reynella on Saturday. Middleton, also a former Goodwood Saints trainer, followed Country Fire Service mates to Happy Valley.

Injuries ended his playing career early so Middleton offered to lend a hand to the club’s only trainer and never looked back. Middleton was diagnosed with prostate cancer 18 months ago but thought he had beaten the disease until scans in September revealed it had spread to his liver.
Hank Middleton in the Vikings’ medical room in 2012.

“We ran out of medical options, so decided to stop treating it and look at quality of life instead and nature will take its course,” he says.

“I take a lot of positives out of what Neale Daniher is talking about with his battle with MND (motor neurone disease), just enjoying life.”

Middleton says his fondest memories at the Vikings include watching players climb the ranks and go on to play at the elite level, as well as the club’s glory years during the 1990s when it won six premierships.

He was also a part of Happy Valley flags in 2003 and 2012.
Happy Valley after winning the 2012 SFL premiership against Brighton.

After playing his part in designing the change rooms, Middleton says he is proud of pushing to install doors wide enough for ambulance access, which some clubs still do not have.

“It might sound small, but we got the external door widen so it was wide enough for the ambos to bring their trolley in — that was sensational.”

Middleton says the Vikings’ culture is as good as it gets.

“That makes it easier to not only be at a club, but stay at a club, and that’s driven by volunteers and the quality of the volunteers.”

A great honour for a great man who devoted a significant portion of his life to the club. He's the sort of bloke every club either has or wants. Hank used to frustrate a few people with his fussiness over rules and regulations, but it was always done with the utmost care for the welfare of the players. He would always maintain the same level of attention and care to HVFC players as well as opposition players and trainers who he would assist. So sad what he is going through, but hopefully this tribute will lift the spirits a bit for him in a very difficult time.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby spot on » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I have crossed paths with Hank many times in the past as a fellow trainer. Really pleased to see such a great man honoured in this way.
Hank was always there to assist which was always appreciated.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Broken Down Hack » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Congratulations Hank and fantastic off Happy Valley to be honouring you for all the work you have done for the club, a true clubman .. enjoy your day ..... Morphettville Park Football Club.
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby phossil » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Acc0988 wrote:LGIL with internal issues between committee and football departments plaguing 2 of the bottom 3 clubs it may be a while before we see these once mighty clubs rise up the ladder again. Clubs need to be all rowing in same direction to achieve on field success and both MV & HV have a history of management getting involved with on field and selection decisions.
I believe this is still the case at HV

Interesting comment Acc0988. For MV, what history of management getting involved with on field and selection decisions are you refering to?
phossil
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Acc0988 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Phossil it was actually Front & Centre that posted that not me but he doesn’t seem to be able to give specific examples
Acc0988
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Kangarilla

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL