State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am

carey wrote:That has come from Blight and Matthews I believe they’ll bring it in next season. Along with last touch out of bounds.

Blight is a dead set loop, why is he getting involved?

We'll end up with 15 a side playing on a round field with a square cube shaped "ball".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am

FlyingHigh wrote:I actually think it's worth a look in the JLT matches compared to some of the other sh!t like Supergoals, play on if ball hits the post or last-touch.

The only rule I've liked from them games never got off the ground, I think you kick it backwards to a team mate in your back half of the ground it shouldn't be a mark.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Bit of talk around the idea of increasing the size of the goal square for kickouts.
Perhaps rather than a square, maybe a spot 20 or 25mt out where the man on the mark has to stand. It would be great for easy set-shots and dribble kicks that are missed. However would we see less attempts at exiciting goals from outside 50 or the boundary.
This spot would also be used for the ball-up after deliberately rushed behinds.

Another consideration is the point differential rather than percentage that is used in Rugby League. For example, 112-85, 85-65 and 70-53 scorelines all are roughly the same percentage but the first would be worth more under a point differential system. Don't believe where they are playing is a factor like it is in the suggestion of bonus points for kicking more than 100 points, because at Ethiad compared to wet and windy Blundstone, a team has more chance of scoring as well as being scored against.

That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard :shock: :roll:

I agree. Whatever rules we put in place, the coaches will analyse it to the n'th degree and come up with ways to structure themselves up to combat it.

I have some rather radical thoughts about the game and it stems from the over-analysed garbage we see today.

Take the assistant coaches away or limit it to 3 assistant coaches
    No more than 4 in the coaches box at any one time
    No laptops in the coaches box, nor on the bench during game days
    12 week breaks for all players during 'off' season
    Limit in club activities to 4 days per week, 8 hours per day (max) - added benefit is players can study or work outside of footy
The rules need fixing but adding MORE rules just makes things worse (have we not learn't from the past rule changes?). I'll get to them at another time.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Ball ups and throw ins are automatic- no nomination, any 2 can go up (1 from each team). Get the game moving before sides can 'set up'.

Hopefully a team one day invests time into someone to be able to consistently hit a decent torp from kick ins to carry these presses. Once this happens presses move out which opens up space.

Also, get rid of frees for rushed points, all but the most deliberate out of bounds, and 'contact below the knees'.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 am

Novel idea. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE....

End of thread
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:28 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Novel idea. LEAVE THE GAME ALONE....

End of thread

Yeah if youre happy with soccer scorelines and rugby scrums, being a Sydney fan you probably are.
The 05 and 06 GFs ****** football forever, now needs drastic change
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

End of thread

Yeah if youre happy with soccer scorelines and rugby scrums, being a Sydney fan you probably are.

Well said.

Everyone lauds the occasional high scoring games except coaches. We need to make sure the coaches can't bugger the game up more than they already have.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Why does high scoring equal better game

Personally I would rather watch a 60-66 close tussle than a 130-90 one sided game

People who don’t passionately support a soccer team don’t understand the thrill of a 0-0 draw.

You know the excitement, tenseness and passion of the last quarter in an Aussie rules game where the level at 3/4 time (yeah I know it’s very rare Aussie rules games are still in the balance at that point) That’s the last 30 minutes of a nil draw. You know where every next possession could be ‘that’ possession, the one that brings unbridled joy. Yes when the final whistle goes at 0-0 there is that moment of deflation but then you remember the last 90 minutes 90 emotions
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

End of thread

Did you complain about Centrals style while we were making 13 GF’s in a row
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 pm

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

End of thread

Whats that got to do with the crap thats served up now.
That style couldnt be further from what is dished up now.
For a period there the SANFL was a real viable alternative
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

End of thread

Whats that got to do with the crap thats served up now.
That style couldnt be further from what is dished up now.
For a period there the SANFL was a real viable alternative

Agree about being a real viable alternative for a while but let’s not kid ourselves Centrals played an ugly style of football very similar to what Sydney did in the same era. Some of the last quarter shut down jobs we did (which led to coaches questioning whether we were playing rugby) were plain ugly ball up after ball up, stoppage after stoppage and I bloody loved it!!!

My point is it’s only supporters of the losing teams that complain about styles. You don’t hear supporters of premiership sides complaining about the style of game there team plays
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 pm

whufc wrote:Why does high scoring equal better game

Personally I would rather watch a 60-66 close tussle than a 130-90 one sided game

People who don’t passionately support a soccer team don’t understand the thrill of a 0-0 draw.

You know the excitement, tenseness and passion of the last quarter in an Aussie rules game where the level at 3/4 time (yeah I know it’s very rare Aussie rules games are still in the balance at that point) That’s the last 30 minutes of a nil draw. You know where every next possession could be ‘that’ possession, the one that brings unbridled joy. Yes when the final whistle goes at 0-0 there is that moment of deflation but then you remember the last 90 minutes 90 emotions

You got it in one. I don't support soccer because 0-0 draws are as boring as bat shit.

I enjoy 66-60 games but the style of game I don't enjoy. 130 vs 124 I think is the epitome of AFL supporters.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

You got it in one. I don't support soccer because 0-0 draws are as boring as bat shit.

I enjoy 66-60 games but the style of game I don't enjoy. 130 vs 124 I think is the epitome of AFL supporters.

I think we can all probably agree a high scoring close game is the epitome of any ‘goal based’ sport

What about if that nil all draw has 20 shots compared to the 2-1 game that has only 6 shots
whufc
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:00 pm

I did see tonight they payed illegal disposal more than I have seen in the last 5 years.
It was refreshing.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:01 pm

helicopterking wrote:I did see tonight they payed illegal disposal more than I have seen in the last 5 years.
It was refreshing.

And forwards got a few frees, now if only they could kick straight
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
helicopterking wrote:I did see tonight they payed illegal disposal more than I have seen in the last 5 years.
It was refreshing.

And forwards got a few frees, now if only they could kick straight

Forwards get enough as it is. Buddy's free were embarrassing tonight.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby another grub » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Umpiring is shitting me at the moment. How was Jach holding the ball ffs.

But the blocking rule has now just become a farce. The player can deliberately run into the spare player and fall over and its a free for blocking. Wtf.
Surely the player is allowed to stand thier ground?

**** you white maggots

Pathetic
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 412 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:19 am

whufc wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

I think we can all probably agree a high scoring close game is the epitome of any ‘goal based’ sport

What about if that nil all draw has 20 shots compared to the 2-1 game that has only 6 shots

I think you've got the idea. Most (i think) would rather a 7-6 win in soccer than a nil all draw.

What we're seeing today is the nil all draws with lots of defensive elements and mistakes rather than high scoring free flowing games. Give me a free flowing game of footy anyday. Most recently the Adel Port and Bris Collingwood games spring to mind.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Trader wrote:The kick out after a point from say 25m out rather than 9m, at first i hated it, but now I feel it has some merit. Potentially makes the zone harder to set up and therefore we might see more "end to end" goals.
I hadn't considered the deterant for long shots as a result, and it is a good point. Can't make my mind up on that one.

Another thing with the 20 or 25mt spot is could it encourage more screwies?
A botched screwie from the current goals squareusually lands in a good spot for the opposition. From this new spot they would be at least 60mt from goal. A good screwie would land at least in the centre square or on the widest parts of the ground.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 pm

MatteeG wrote:Ball ups and throw ins are automatic- no nomination, any 2 can go up (1 from each team). Get the game moving before sides can 'set up'.

Hopefully a team one day invests time into someone to be able to consistently hit a decent torp from kick ins to carry these presses. Once this happens presses move out which opens up space.

Also, get rid of frees for rushed points, all but the most deliberate out of bounds, and 'contact below the knees'.

Agree with all this except I would keep the below the knees. In theory it's good and necessary, the way it's being applied is horrid. Should be being paid one every few weeks, not a few every one week.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL